Author Topic: Fixed leaking Fridge  (Read 3091 times)

JT

• Stubble
Fixed leaking Fridge
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:02:25 AM »
Our second hand frost free fridge developed a leak, with water pooling slowly at the bottom of the fridge.

We used to have to sponge it up twice a day and we couldn't for the life of us figure out where the leak was coming from.

But, hey!  It pays to empty the fridge out and have a good look around!

Problem found!  Cleaned a blocked drain and now we're leak free.  Can't believe something so simple caused such a big leak!

Feeling proud!

9 O Clock Shadow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Fixed leaking Fridge
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »
Howja do it? Was it as simple as a unplug-->defrost-->clean?

We've been toweling the bottom of the fridge for several months - too intermittent to be a serious PITA, but annoying.

and Hi-5 BTW

-9OS

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 11:19:58 AM »
Our teen fixed ours a few years ago. He went onto YouTube to find out what was wrong and then followed the instructions. I was so impressed and thankful. He did it on one of his college visits home.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 01:32:21 PM »
Nice job!  I just did this fix for my neighbors.  A little more complicated, but same cause.

Sometimes the drain is hidden, like in the case of a bottom freezer.  You have to take out drawers and rack to get to the grill panel, then remove that, then defrost with a hair dryer (unplug fridge first) and clear the drain.  In the case of my neighbors, the drain hose has a flap valve that has stuck shut.

JT

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 07:02:23 PM »

We've been toweling the bottom of the fridge for several months - too intermittent to be a serious PITA, but annoying.

and Hi-5 BTW

-9OS
At the back of the fridge there's a drip collecting device that feeds into the rear of the fridge.  The feed into the rear bit was blocked up with sludge, which saw the collecting device full and overflowing.  This wasn't obvious until everything was taken out of the fridge!  I got small flexible plastic pipe and syphoned out the water.  Then got a chop stick and poked it through the rear bit.  This was blocked and I pulled the sludge out with the chop stick/my finger.  I wasn't expecting this to be the problem, but am delighted it was and we're leak free!  Hope this helps!

JT

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »
Our teen fixed ours a few years ago. He went onto YouTube to find out what was wrong and then followed the instructions. I was so impressed and thankful. He did it on one of his college visits home.

So pleased to hear about your 'fix'! My pre-teen is exactly the same!  But this problem I sorted myself! Which made me doubly proud!

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 02:47:18 AM »

So pleased to hear about your 'fix'! My pre-teen is exactly the same!  But this problem I sorted myself! Which made me doubly proud!

Good for you!

9 O Clock Shadow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »

Oh man - I forgot to add the 'check for replies' on this. I was able to partially and carefully remove the grill on the back of the fridge, clean it, and also detach, bleach and clean the drip collecting pipe. That was yesterday - today there are no leaks!!

Thank you for the advice. This is one of those things that I ignored far too long. I also mega cleaned the fridge and all of the deatchable parts. Kickass! Guitar Solo!! Yiaaahh!!!