Author Topic: Fixed Broken Truck Window and Saved $370  (Read 1368 times)

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
Fixed Broken Truck Window and Saved $370
« on: February 21, 2017, 08:04:14 AM »
DH's back sliding window on his Toyota pick-up truck was smashed.  We called a few a glass shops in town and they wanted between $500 and $675, to replace the entire rear window despite the fact only the slider was broken.  According to them, no one makes or sells just the slider.  So we turned to the internet.  In about 5 minutes we had found a seller that had the correct piece of glass and a 6-minute installation video for around $130.  We bought it and it took about 15 minutes to install. 

Although this isn't a huge win, it has really made my husband realize the value of the MMM philosophy. 

accolay

• Pencil Stache
Re: Fixed Broken Truck Window and Saved $370
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 07:46:46 PM »
Awesome job! I have also done this in the past. I've had I think four windows smashed over the last 17 years and I started replacing them myself when I found the glass was actually really really cheap online. Now that the car is older... 21 years this year... I went to a junk yard where you can pull your own parts. $250 window installed by the shop for $17 and my labor. Yay!

Mr Chin Stubble

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 07:51:32 PM »
Am i just really lucky ? I remember 3 years ago getting my window smashed and it was big rear one in my truck, and paying like 200 bucks for a used glass (which looked new to me) and the guy came to where i work with it; installed it; and even brought a vacuum to get rid of all the old smashed glass

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 02:04:44 AM »
I've had one rear quarter glass smashed out thee times I think. The first time it was $250 for a shop to do it, the second time it was about the same price...the third time was something like 40-60 bucks with glass from online.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 06:45:56 PM »
It can be amazing to see how some of these games get played. The sockets inside the tail lights of my truck failed. The dealer swore that the only cure was to replace a section of the rear harness, at $500 for the part. I spent a bit of time googling and bought the pair of sockets for $6 each. The most ironic part was that the socket was a 100% OEM, exact replacement for the part that allegedly "didn't exist". Including the fancy wire crimps with the heat sealing goop built in, it took a twenty dollar bill to fix a $500 problem.