Author Topic: Fixed a buddies bike to get him to commute to work!  (Read 1881 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Fixed a buddies bike to get him to commute to work!
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:21:15 AM »
I have convinced a friend who lives 4 km away from work to bike in by fixing his bike for him!  It needed the brake pads aligned, brakes taken apart and greased, front derailleur adjusted, and a general greasing of parts.  I also swapped the slicks that were on my old mountain bike (that I'll be selling in the spring) for the knobbies that were on his bike.  Took me a couple hours on Saturday.  I got to hone my bike repair skills, and now he's excited to bike in.  Also, I think it'll be easier to sell my mountain bike with regular looking mountain bike knobbies on it.

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Fixed a buddies bike to get him to commute to work!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:05:48 PM »
Awesome, I need to get more of my friends to start riding too.

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »
Sounds like a win win to me. 4km is pretty dang short so that's great. I would remind him that he should pump his tires up once a week or even every other day. Lots of people don't know how quickly those tires lose air. Plus you want his first few rides to be easy and good pressure will help.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:45:20 PM »
Congrats!  It's a rewarding feeling to hook someone up with a bike and seeing them start using it.  Having a 4km ride to work would be amazing.  :-)

I have convinced only one other person to ride in to work occasionally, and he's one of my frequent riding buddies and likes long distance touring.  Virtually everyone I work with lives 20 to 40 miles away from our office (we're on a closed Navy base on the edge of town), and the fact that I ride 19 miles one way to and from work strikes them as more than slightly crazy.

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »
Truly bad-ass. Being mustachian by example can pay off.

The revolution has begun (but it will not be televised).