Author Topic: First oil change - COMPLETE!  (Read 9116 times)

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
First oil change - COMPLETE!
« on: January 07, 2016, 04:52:26 PM »
Hey all. I made a goal for the new year to demystify the workings of my car. I'm so tired of not understanding cars and feeling like a sucker at dealerships.

Anyway, I got some tools for Christmas, and bought some rhino ramps and other car gear, and last weekend I changed the oil on my 2008 Scion. Everything went pretty much exactly like the videos showed. I started up the car and no leak! I've driven the car a few times since and there don't appear to be any problems. It was a cartridge filter, which seems like more of a pain than a regular filter would be, but honestly it wasn't that hard.

I can't believe I thought oil changes were some kind of difficult magic trick. It's basically unscrewing and rescrewing a few pieces of metal.

I'll note that changing oil doesn't save much money - it might have cost $20 versus $35. But I'm feeling pretty confident now, and I may move on to try brake pads and rotors next.

Wishing everyone new skills in the new year.

snappytom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: First oil change - COMPLETE!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »
Good job !  The sense of accomplishment is great and addictive. 
There are many routine automotive maintenance tasks that can be easily conquered which result in significant savings.  Try to find a local person who enjoys working on their car and learn from them.  It develops friendships with a common interest and support network for when you (or they) need another set of hands.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:23:58 PM »
Nice job!  Anything that you ever need to do for it is on Youtube or Google somewhere.  None of it is rocket science.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:35:53 PM »
I did mine once too.

Now I pay someone else to do them... the mess isn't worth the $15.

Also, I don't have anywhere to do it, so I have to find out of the way parking lots. If I had a driveway, the mess would be a lot easier to deal with.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 12:37:53 AM »
Congrats. A nice increase in your badassity!

A fumoto valve ($25) can remove the majority of the mess and make the oil change even easier. For me, it is slightly cheaper but most importantly it is just easier to spend 15 minutes doing it at home than 45+ at some oil change place where they try to upsell a lot of hookum and overtighten everything.

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 07:30:49 AM »
Thanks guys!

Has anyone on here changed their brakes and rotors? Some youtube research makes this sound pretty easy, but something about the fact that they're BRAKES makes me a little skittish.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 09:43:08 AM »
Thanks guys!

Has anyone on here changed their brakes and rotors? Some youtube research makes this sound pretty easy, but something about the fact that they're BRAKES makes me a little skittish.

Done it. It is more complicated than an oil change, but totally doable. The part to pay attention to is the bleeding process. That is much easier with two people and patience (one person works the brake pedal, the other the bleed screw at the caliper). Make sure to have anti squeal for the back of the pads, and have the rotors turned (surfaces machined to flat again at an auto parts shop) if you are not replacing them altogether.

Good luck!

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 10:00:07 AM »

The part to pay attention to is the bleeding process. That is much easier with two people and patience (one person works the brake pedal, the other the bleed screw at the caliper).
Good luck!

Glenstache - thanks for the response. I just watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtqeB0qgrTs which is my car exactly. I see the part about pressing down the caliper, but nothing is mentioned about 'bleeding'. Am I missing something here, or are my brakes different than what you're describing?

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 10:48:23 AM »
Woot! That's awesome!

DH and I are hopelessly unhandy. One time, we had a slow leak and found a nail. Were planning to wait a few days so we had the time to take it back to the tire place we originally bought the tires from a few months before. We knew we'd have to keep taking it to the gas station to fill air. He decided to try to add air at home. He broke the valve at the stem and within seconds, we stared at a completely flat tire.  We ended up buying a more expensive (and a different brand) tire from a local spot. *Sigh*

When I found out that they teach oil changes in Shop in high school, I told my son he has to take it next year - so he can start doing our oil changes for us!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 11:17:21 AM »

The part to pay attention to is the bleeding process. That is much easier with two people and patience (one person works the brake pedal, the other the bleed screw at the caliper).
Good luck!

Glenstache - thanks for the response. I just watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtqeB0qgrTs which is my car exactly. I see the part about pressing down the caliper, but nothing is mentioned about 'bleeding'. Am I missing something here, or are my brakes different than what you're describing?

Sorry, my brain had interpreted changing brakes as changing calipers.

If you are only replacing pads, then you may not need to bleed the brake system. That said, it may still be a good idea, but it can be a later phase or done as its own thing later. The issue is that brake fluid absorbs water, which changes the material properties over time. These changes an reduce the boiling point (bad if you do heavy work braking), or can make the fluid spongy and will evidence as a softer pedal (which can also be due to air bubbles, which we will assume you do not have). Changing the brake fluid is an infrequent, but routine maintenance item. It's pretty easy once you know what you are doing, but it  sounds like it is not part of what you need to do now. 

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 10:26:19 AM »

Done it a few times. More steps involved than an oil change, but just as easy really. Couple tips:
-Don't let the caliper hang when it's loose.
-Brake cleaner is 100% necessary as is brake grease(squeal).
-Remove brake fluid cap when pressing the caliper piston back into the caliper.

The rest is gravy. 

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 12:49:52 PM »
Thanks fireball, that's really helpful!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 09:32:26 AM »

Done it a few times. More steps involved than an oil change, but just as easy really. Couple tips:
-Don't let the caliper hang when it's loose.
-Brake cleaner is 100% necessary as is brake grease(squeal).
-Remove brake fluid cap when pressing the caliper piston back into the caliper.

The rest is gravy. 

Great job on changing your own oil. It's not small at all, nobody starts by just rebuilding motors first. Step by step. I'm even more happy to see you are willing and anxious to try your brakes next.

These are all super good tips.

Brake jobs aren't very difficult. The worst experience I've personally had with changing brakes/rotors is if the car is from the North and it just takes a little time/effort to get the rotor screws drilled out.

Other than that, just practice some common sense and safety and you can come back post about the brakes being done successfully as well!!

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 09:39:49 AM »
Nice!!
Just a word -
SAFETY!! wheel chocks, e-brake etc. And eyeglasses.
There are an unfortunate number of DIY mechanics killed or injured by their cars every year. Safety first!

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »
First off congrats, it is definitely a great feeling. With that said for me personally I would rather have someone else to do it. The savings is so small that it is not worth a DIY for an oil change.

Le Dérisoire

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 11:16:14 AM »
This is encouraging to read!

I, too, started with oil changes and changing tires for winter.

Other easy things I did since then are changing the cabin and engine air filter, a coolant flush, the fuel tank air filter, the battery and spark plugs. Every time I do something new, I’m scared. Internet is my only available source of information.

The next steps are the brake pads and the steering/suspension parts when they wear off.

I think the amount of money we save is irrelevant. The feeling of knowing how to do that stuff and knowing how a car works is what’s worth the most.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 03:51:49 PM »
Good Job! I would suggest though, if you did not, wearing gloves (just simple latex gloves) when handling used oil. Stuff is pretty toxic. One of the main purposes of oil is to clean your engine, which means it contains concentrated combustion byproducts and wear materials from your engine (e.g. lead from the bearings).

It's not going to hurt you for occasional exposure or skin contact, but can be _really_ hard to wash off your hands and easily be something you transfer to food items and then ingest. Eye protection is a must too.

Another way to save on your oil is to not hold to the specs of engines and materials from the 60s. The 3,000mi/3 month rule is ridiculously outdated. Consult your owners manual for the proper schedule. Most modern vehicles (i.e. made in the last 15-20 years) have significantly longer intervals (5k, 7.5k, even 10k). Just Just make sure you are using a properly certified lubricant (i.e. oil that meets the specifications of your auto maker, which is also described in the manual). That much _does_ matter.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php is an interesting site that is populated with "oil geeks" that has a lot more information (including objective lab tests) about oil change needs, oil quality, etc. For example, most people think dark or black oil means the oil needs changed. That's not (necessarily) true. It typically just means the oil is doing it's job (cleaning your engine).

elcheapo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 10:22:17 AM »
Hey all. I made a goal for the new year to demystify the workings of my car. I'm so tired of not understanding cars and feeling like a sucker at dealerships.

Anyway, I got some tools for Christmas, and bought some rhino ramps and other car gear, and last weekend I changed the oil on my 2008 Scion. Everything went pretty much exactly like the videos showed. I started up the car and no leak! I've driven the car a few times since and there don't appear to be any problems. It was a cartridge filter, which seems like more of a pain than a regular filter would be, but honestly it wasn't that hard.

I can't believe I thought oil changes were some kind of difficult magic trick. It's basically unscrewing and rescrewing a few pieces of metal.

I'll note that changing oil doesn't save much money - it might have cost $20 versus $35. But I'm feeling pretty confident now, and I may move on to try brake pads and rotors next.

Wishing everyone new skills in the new year.

If you ever need any help in the car world just ask me , I used to be a mechanic.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:11 AM »
I get paid to have my oil changes done for free - it is one of the few mystery shops that I still do. All I have to do is write a short report about my experience - sweet:) - last time I received a 20% off coupon that Mr. R. used when purchasing new tires - cha ching:)

Free haircut-full service reimbursement is another favorite:)

I'm not mechanically inclined, but I once owned an old car (surprise:) that had an oil leak - so I learned where that oil thingy is and how to check the oil level and kept a yellow sticky note in my glove compartment so I'd always know what kind of oil to buy.
I also marked the windshield wiper fluid tank with red nail polish - so I wouldn't make any mistakes and yes, I was a blonde at the time:).

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 10:59:42 AM »
Good for you! Now you can do more and more and it will get easier with experience.

In 30 years I have sent a car to a mechanic exactly ZERO times.

I have rebult complete engines, transmissions, all suspension, brake components etc.

Timing belt, water pump,crank and cam seal changes are less then an easy days work for most vehicles.

I have also learned to spray paint and have done numerous bodywork repairs and even painted complete cars for folks (a lot of work though).

Of course I have a lot of air tools etc but that stuff is pretty ceap these days with the advent of Harbor freight.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 11:22:58 AM »
May have already been said (I didn't read through the responses), but if you have grease fittings you should also fill those when you change the oil.  I doubt you have any as my Toyota (Scion affiliated) doesn't, but you should check just to be sure.  These often get overlooked by DIYs.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 12:17:54 PM »
May have already been said (I didn't read through the responses), but if you have grease fittings you should also fill those when you change the oil.  I doubt you have any as my Toyota (Scion affiliated) doesn't, but you should check just to be sure.  These often get overlooked by DIYs.

Most cars made in the last ~15 years have a sealed chassis, but this is a great point. God I hated the zerk system. Only about a 1/3 success rate actually getting the grease into the damn thing.

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »
Of course I have a lot of air tools etc but that stuff is pretty ceap these days with the advent of Harbor freight.

ExFlyBoy - I've enjoyed your posts in other threads, thanks for jumping in here.

I have a new air compressor that I bought to use with a nail gun. When you say air tools, do you mean tools that can connect up with this same compressor? Or is this a completely different category of tools?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 02:34:56 PM »

ExFlyBoy - I've enjoyed your posts in other threads, thanks for jumping in here.

I have a new air compressor that I bought to use with a nail gun. When you say air tools, do you mean tools that can connect up with this same compressor? Or is this a completely different category of tools?

No its the same thing.

However a compressor that is just capable of running a nail gun will not have the capacity to run an impact wrench. The impact wrench is the primary tool (around $100 for the "earthquake 1/2" IW from Harbor frieght.. fabulous tool!).

This is the thing that spins off wheel lug nuts with zero effort.. and pretty much all rusted suspension components.

You will need a set of deep impact sockets as the torque it applies is so pwerful it will literally split ordinary sockets.

Run such a wrench you'll need a 2Hp compressor minumum.

If you want to get into paint spraying you'll really need an oil free air compressor, but that is overkill for normal wrenching.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 07:48:39 AM »
I get paid to have my oil changes done for free - it is one of the few mystery shops that I still do. All I have to do is write a short report about my experience - sweet:) - last time I received a 20% off coupon that Mr. R. used when purchasing new tires - cha ching:)

I'm not mechanically inclined, but I once owned an old car (surprise:) that had an oil leak - so I learned where that oil thingy is and how to check the oil level and kept a yellow sticky note in my glove compartment so I'd always know what kind of oil to buy.
I also marked the windshield wiper fluid tank with red nail polish - so I wouldn't make any mistakes and yes, I was a blonde at the time:).

I have grown man friends that used to be "car enthusiasts" and can't do simple shit. don't discredit yourself for being a women or blonde. if anything, kudos for developing a system that works for you.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 09:59:11 AM »

I have grown man friends that used to be "car enthusiasts" and can't do simple shit. don't discredit yourself for being a women or blonde. if anything, kudos for developing a system that works for you.

+1 I put a piece of yellow tape with oil quantities, etc for routine changes on the inside of the engine compartment of my vehicles. Having a system is good. Pilots have checklists too... because they work. 

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 10:52:41 AM »
+1 I put a piece of yellow tape with oil quantities, etc for routine changes on the inside of the engine compartment of my vehicles. Having a system is good. Pilots have checklists too... because they work.

+2. I put a notebook in each of my cars and have started logging anything I did to them. It's super helpful and frees you from being helplessly reliant on the maintenance required light or the sticker from the oil change place

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 09:16:50 PM »
Whatever works.

Personally I keep a sharpie on a string in my shop. I write down all the maontenance for the two cars and tractor directly on the wall.

I also write down the size of the sump plug wrench required and the quantity of oil. So I grab what I need and dive under the vehicle and do it all in one trip.

Remember when jacking up cars NEVER rely on just the jack... Even a hydraulic trolly jack.. if the seal blows it will decend at speed! Harbor Freight has a pair of excellent ratchet axle stands for not much money that make things much safer.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 03:58:17 AM »

With a little effort, you probably could have found a way to get someone else to change your oil for less than it cost you to do yourself, avoiding all the effort and mess.

If you live in a reasonably populous area, you can always find someplace offering a $19.95 oil change promotion.  Sometimes they'll be as low as $14.95 or even occasionally $9.95.  The cost of the oil alone will be more than that, to say nothing of the mess and hassle. 

I last changed my own oil sometime in the 1990s.  I have no intention of doing it ever again.  Not because I can't, but why go through the trouble when I can get someone else to do it for me for the same cost or even less?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 04:13:56 AM »

With a little effort, you probably could have found a way to get someone else to change your oil for less than it cost you to do yourself, avoiding all the effort and mess.

If you live in a reasonably populous area, you can always find someplace offering a $19.95 oil change promotion.  Sometimes they'll be as low as $14.95 or even occasionally $9.95.  The cost of the oil alone will be more than that, to say nothing of the mess and hassle. 

I last changed my own oil sometime in the 1990s.  I have no intention of doing it ever again.  Not because I can't, but why go through the trouble when I can get someone else to do it for me for the same cost or even less?
True, but missing the point, which is that manguy has acquired a degree of badassity which has saved some money and time on the relatively simple matter of an oil change but which is mainly a newly acquired skill which creates independence and is empowering in relation to everything else to do with his cars.

Way to go, manguy.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 06:15:12 AM »

The trouble is that it's actually $19.95 + the cost (or at least hassle) of replacing the engine when (not "if!") the minimum-wage fuck-up doing the work fails to put the drain plug, filter or cap back on properly, or perhaps even fails to put the new oil in at all.

Racer X

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 06:47:59 AM »

The trouble is that it's actually $19.95 + the cost (or at least hassle) of replacing the engine when (not "if!") the minimum-wage fuck-up doing the work fails to put the drain plug, filter or cap back on properly, or perhaps even fails to put the new oil in at all.

This so much!  I may not save much money doing my own oil changes, but I know they're done carefully, correctly, and with the parts and fluids of my choosing. 

It also gives me a chance to browse around the car and look for other developing issues or problems (low fluids, frayed belts, rust, etc.) 

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 12:52:03 PM »

This so much!  I may not save much money doing my own oil changes, but I know they're done carefully, correctly, and with the parts and fluids of my choosing. 

It also gives me a chance to browse around the car and look for other developing issues or problems (low fluids, frayed belts, rust, etc.)

Yeah, it's not always about saving money. Going to these cheapo places is going to eventually lead to some kind of issue, even if it's just a stripped oil pan bolt.

Even "proper" places suck - my father once took his Lexus to the Lexus dealership for some service and an oil change. They didn't even do the oil change but said they did and charged us. How did we know? My brother and I had done the last oil change and the non-oem oil filter was still on there.

Fuck saving 5 or 10 dollars, I'd rather change my own oil and know it's done correctly and with some respect and love. (<-- yeah, I said love).

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 01:21:26 PM »

Yeah, it's not always about saving money. Going to these cheapo places is going to eventually lead to some kind of issue, even if it's just a stripped oil pan bolt.

Even "proper" places suck - my father once took his Lexus to the Lexus dealership for some service and an oil change. They didn't even do the oil change but said they did and charged us. How did we know? My brother and I had done the last oil change and the non-oem oil filter was still on there.

Fuck saving 5 or 10 dollars, I'd rather change my own oil and know it's done correctly and with some respect and love. (<-- yeah, I said love).

Agreed.  I have just started DIYing car maintenance in the last year.

I like that I can use the fancy synthetic oils and filters for the price of a cheapo-shop's oil change.  If I got the fancy oil and filter at a shop, they would charge through the nose for it, so there is real savings if you use something other than the lowest-grade oil available.

Plugra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2016, 04:16:15 PM »

So true.  Recently I started doing my own oil changes and other small repairs on my vehicles and it's amazing the damage I've discovered, all due to the bad-attitude minimum wage techs who work at the dealerships and the jiffylubes:  stripped threads, broken housings, busted connectors, overtorqued drain bolts, ...   They really do poor work. 

A few years ago a dealer told me my oil drain plug was leaking. I just assumed it was "my fault" and I paid them to install a new oil pan.   Now I realize what that was about. There's no going back.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 02:51:54 PM »
I had a friend once who decided to have Jiffy Lube replace her differential oil (really not exactly sure why).. When the cloude of blu smoke behind her turned into grinding noises from back she had it towed back to JL.

Where they found the drain plug on the bench!

My "new" 1999 Dodge Neon that I completely rebuilt the engine on and did not check the oil drain plug .. sure enough first oild change.. yup it was stripped from years of cack handedness. Now the thread was an M14*1.5 thread..

A helicoil for that thead was $60.. but if I went to the common spark plug thread size.. i.e M14*1.25 I could get a helicoil kit for $30.. and now I have a helicoil kit for small size spark plug holes in the future.

For the new drain plug I used a spark with the center knocked out and brazed up the hole in the middle..:)

$30 vs maybe $200 for a new sump!.. Score!