Author Topic: Finally got my wife to leave the AC off  (Read 4850 times)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Finally got my wife to leave the AC off
« on: July 04, 2016, 02:45:07 PM »
It's been a constant struggle to get my wife to leave the AC off even when it's 90 degrees F outside. Because of the way our house is constructed, if it's 90 degrees outside, it'll only be 84 degrees indoors with the windows open and ceiling fans on upstairs. That's perfectly pleasant if you let your body acclimate to it.

This week, my wife finally got on board the MMM train and started leaving the AC off. We have solar on the roof so we're banking lots of extra power to use when it really gets hot outside and AC is actually necessary so we won't have to pay for it. I am so pleased right now.

stashgrower

• Bristles
Re: Finally got my wife to leave the AC off
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 05:51:30 AM »
Woohoo, well done!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 06:21:14 AM »
This isn't your badassity, it's hers.  :P

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 06:41:02 AM »
I notice you mentioned leaving the windows open. Have you tried strategically closing them when the temperature outside is hotter than inside (most of the day) and opening them again when it's cooler (most of the night)? Our house stay's even cooler this way. You can also put a fan in the window to blow in/out (haven't really figured out which is better).

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 08:25:48 AM »
I notice you mentioned leaving the windows open. Have you tried strategically closing them when the temperature outside is hotter than inside (most of the day) and opening them again when it's cooler (most of the night)? Our house stay's even cooler this way. You can also put a fan in the window to blow in/out (haven't really figured out which is better).

We have huge south facing windows that are awesome for lowering our heating bills in the winter, but they cause some problems with heat in the summer due to the greenhouse effect. I'm not really sure how to handle this situation in a way that won't ruin our view (like putting film over the windows would.) At the moment, the best solution seems to be leaving the windows open on both sides of the house, running the ceiling fans and circulating the air through the house so it keeps things cool. We have a finished basement that is cool year-round, so I think the circulation is helping bring up the cool air from downstairs to control the temperature indoors.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 09:57:26 AM »

We have huge south facing windows that are awesome for lowering our heating bills in the winter, but they cause some problems with heat in the summer due to the greenhouse effect. I'm not really sure how to handle this situation in a way that won't ruin our view (like putting film over the windows would.) At the moment, the best solution seems to be leaving the windows open on both sides of the house, running the ceiling fans and circulating the air through the house so it keeps things cool. We have a finished basement that is cool year-round, so I think the circulation is helping bring up the cool air from downstairs to control the temperature indoors.

Get cellular blinds (they insulate reasonably well) and then close the blinds on the south side of your building during the day when it's hot out.  Open the blinds during the rest of the time so you can enjoy your awesome views.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 10:43:08 AM »

Get cellular blinds (they insulate reasonably well) and then close the blinds on the south side of your building during the day when it's hot out.  Open the blinds during the rest of the time so you can enjoy your awesome views.

That's a good suggestion. I'm just a little concerned about the big bay window we have that faces south because the blinds are not flush with the window so I think the light passes through the glass and turns into heat in the large foot and a half/two foot space between the blinds and the window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 11:03:41 AM »

That's a good suggestion. I'm just a little concerned about the big bay window we have that faces south because the blinds are not flush with the window so I think the light passes through the glass and turns into heat in the large foot and a half/two foot space between the blinds and the window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could also put up those exterior awnings over windows for the summer.  It's probably a bit more work though.

banjarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 11:30:15 AM »

I've had a fair amount of success just using huge blackout curtains strategically. I don't want to block my view either, but my bedroom soaks up sun all day long while I'm away at work and I totally don't need the view. Keep the blinds closed all day, keep the room a lot cooler... and then when I come home, I open them up and enjoy the fresh air and the view when it's cooler. It's easy to use, the curtains are attractive, and they only block out the sun at times when I wasn't enjoying it anyway.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 12:20:58 PM »

If you don't already have them, invest low-e windows and decent insulation, and good blinds. They will pay for themselves (between energy use reduction and added value to the home), and you can still be comfortable. You can either get good cloth type blinds or one way (uv blocking) shades or some combination thereof.

Currently we have a 1600sqft home and it costs us only a about $80 per season for A/C even with it set ridiculously low temp. Our heating costs are also tiny (roughly $300-350 a YEAR). Decent insulation and low-e windows are why.

Our new house will have a TON of southern exposure with lots of (low-e) windows that will increase the cost for the same reason as you. My plan is to build some automated (home brew, for fun) blinds for the summer months with one way UV shades.

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 07:23:06 PM »
MilesTeg -

Homemade automated blinds!  That is pretty awesome - I'd be interested in something similar but didn't even know where to start - do you mind sharing your plans on how you're making them?

Thanks

Chops

kenaces

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 09:04:31 PM »
HHHMMMMMM

I am always freezing and want my girl, who is always hot, to turn down the AC.  I will have to try the MMM argument so I can take off my sweatshirt

ohmylookatthat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 04:04:24 PM »
ok

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 03:54:15 AM »
I just realized I've never lived in a place with AC. Huh.
Toronto Canada is hot in the summer. Used to sleep out back in a tent, as a kid, the house was so hot.
That worked well. 
Student days, living in hot attics, up late, cold showers, rarely slept. Ok that sucked.
Now in southern France, high 30s Celsius, no AC. Shutters closed all day, windows open at night.
Anyway a life without AC is sort of possible . . . I guess. But in big hot cities, not so nice. This has more to do with dumb building styles than climate.

Balkins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
This isn't your badassity, it's hers.  :P

Disagree.

He was able to persuade her....so he's the badarse. NOW, if she keeps it off....then she would be co-badarse.