Author Topic: Fiance and I Making Changes  (Read 5712 times)

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
Fiance and I Making Changes
« on: February 21, 2015, 07:29:15 PM »
Fiance and I moved in together this week.  We're now splitting my $1,035/mo rent, $51/mo internet, $35/mo electric bill, and ~$10/mo renter's insurance ($125/yr)! 

We've had a $30/wk Julius Meinl brunch habit.  However, I've learned to make the Brioche Banana French Toast and Highland Toffee Tea Latte he loves.  We took a picture of the menu which listed the ingredients, and I ordered the more exotic items (ex. Cinnamon Monin) from Amazon.  Today was the first attempt at fully recreating the experience, and it was a smashing success! 

We also cancelled my Netflix account, and I started using his account for a savings of $8/mo.

We're feeling pretty good about ourselves!

Next, he's adding me to his Costco Executive Membership. 

MBot

• Pencil Stache
Re: Fiance and I Making Changes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:51:42 PM »
Great changes and efficiency. Good work on the brunch!

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 10:25:38 PM »
How can you tease us with your awesomeness and NOT give us the recipe?  The french toast sounds fantastic!

LudicrousSpeed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:29:01 PM »
That's super exciting Chrissy! Congrats!

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 08:39:47 AM »
How can you tease us with your awesomeness and NOT give us the recipe?  The french toast sounds fantastic!

Here is the entire breakfast!

French toast: 

Carmelized Bananas
•  2 medium-small firm bananas, peeled & sliced
•  1/2 tablespoon butter
•  3 tablespoons light brown sugar
•  1/4 cup coconut Malibu
•  1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and lay the banana slices on top. Cook undisturbed for 20 seconds, then add rum and cinnamon. Cook for 10 seconds, then turn bananas carefully and cook for 45 to 60 seconds more, basting with the pan sauce.

Brioche loaf or buns
3 eggs
1.5 c milk
½ heaping tbs or 1.5 heaping tsp brown sugar
¼ heaping tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 square pan with melted butter.

Slice the rolls or brioche loaf into 1 inch thick pieces.  Dip into custard.  Lay the brioche it in the pan sort of overlapping however you like, just so the pan is full and there isn’t too much movement for the bread.

In a medium bowl stir the eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt.

Add the sliced bananas, then sprinkle the brown sugar over the top.

Bake for 20-30 minutes until the top is nice and crispy and the custard has set. Serve with syrup or sauce from the caramelized bananas.

Highland Toffee Tea Latte (makes 2 cups)

2c milk warmed in a saucepan

2 tbs Simpson & Vail English Toffee Black Tea in a french press with just enough water to cover.  Let stew for 4 minutes.

Combine tea concentrate and milk in a mug.  Add 1 tbs Ghirardelli white chocolate syrup and 1.5 tsp Cinnamon Monin to taste.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:01:01 PM by Chrissy »

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 08:55:22 AM »
I am so impressed Crissy.  Cooking is THE Mustachian Superpower as far as I am concerned.  I hope you will be posting your other achievements in this line.  I am always glad to learn something

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »
I am so impressed Crissy.  Cooking is THE Mustachian Superpower as far as I am concerned.  I hope you will be posting your other achievements in this line.  I am always glad to learn something

Thanks, 2nd Timer!  I didn't cook a lick until I started reading this site a few months ago.  I talked a little about it in this post:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/i-cooked/msg520950/#msg520950

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 02:17:43 PM »
I wonder how many threads on here started by young people it will be before I read one and am not thinking KICK ASS ROCKSTARS! I LOVE IT!

Every single time I read one like this I just love it.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 03:04:29 PM »
Perfect.. Every stash starts with changes just like these!...:)

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »
That recipe sounds amazing! I'll have to make that soon :)

Sounds like you two are doing well. Great job with the changes.

Calvawt

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 07:16:06 PM »
Congrats.  What are your plans for the savings each month?  I hope eliminate debt and then start saving hand over fist!

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »
Congrats on improving and simplifying your finances!

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 09:23:46 PM »
Congrats.  What are your plans for the savings each month?  I hope eliminate debt and then start saving hand over fist!

Vawt, we are already there!  We are both cheap as hell.  The extra money is just buying us more freedom, faster.  Neither of us have any debt:  no mortgages, no car loans, no cc debt, no student loans... NO DEBT.  Emergency fund is full with a year's expenses.  House Renovation Fund goal is met (that's HIS paid-off vacation home to which we will eventually retire).  ROTHs for 2015 have been maxed.  HSA is set to be maxed.  My 403b is set to be maxed.  A pretty penny is going into his 401k, but I need to check on the amount; he just started the new job last Monday.  I also utilize an FSA, and we both use a public transit benefit through our respective employers.  The savings from moving in together is $6,800/yr, which puts our savings total at ~$47,000/yr.  We both have significant assets already, so I think we'll be FI'd in about 5 years and ER'd in 10*.

*I've been sort of semi-retired since I was 30.  I only work 7 months a year, but that's a post for another thread...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:57:51 PM by Chrissy »

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 12:55:37 AM »

Vawt, we are already there!  We are both cheap as hell.  The extra money is just buying us more freedom, faster.  Neither of us have any debt:  no mortgages, no car loans, no cc debt, no student loans... NO DEBT.  Emergency fund is full with a year's expenses.  House Renovation Fund goal is met (that's HIS paid-off vacation home to which we will eventually retire).  ROTHs for 2015 have been maxed.  HSA is set to be maxed.  My 403b is set to be maxed.  A pretty penny is going into his 401k, but I need to check on the amount; he just started the new job last Monday.  I also utilize an FSA, and we both use a public transit benefit through our respective employers.  The savings from moving in together is $6,800/yr, which puts our savings total at ~$47,000/yr.  We both have significant assets already, so I think we'll be FI'd in about 5 years and ER'd in 10*.

*I've been sort of semi-retired since I was 30.  I only work 7 months a year, but that's a post for another thread...

Very nice!  Are both the FSA and HSA yours?  I found out last year that you can only have either an hsa or an fsa but not both, even if your married. 

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 07:24:44 AM »

Very nice!  Are both the FSA and HSA yours?  I found out last year that you can only have either an hsa or an fsa but not both, even if your married.

HSA is his, FSA is mine.  Looks like I will have to dump the FSA when we get married.  Thanks for bringing this up; I hadn't thought about it.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 08:52:13 AM »

HSA is his, FSA is mine.  Looks like I will have to dump the FSA when we get married.  Thanks for bringing this up; I hadn't thought about it.
No problem.  We ended up dumping my HSA instead of my wifes FSA because her work contributes 4k into her FSA since she declined health coverage and is on my employer plan.  It's lame loosing the tax sheltering of the HSA but I still think we came out better by opting for the FSA instead.  You guys are doing really great and it's awesome to hear that you are both on the same page!  That should make your journey to FI faster and a lot more enjoyable. ;)

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 09:41:30 AM »
Congratulations!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!