Author Topic: Epoxy is awesome  (Read 4513 times)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Epoxy is awesome
« on: June 18, 2016, 06:13:13 AM »
We bought our house from some "handy types" who installed the kitchen and bathroom themselves with kits. The bathroom mirror/cabinet is not the sturdiest stuff, but it's decent enough. Recently, one of the mirror doors fell off because the hinge snapped right off. Easy solution? Epoxy. All I really did was glue that thing back on and it's as good as new. Seriously, it would take a gorilla to rip that thing back off its hinges again.

Anybody else discover the magic of epoxy?

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Re: Epoxy is awesome
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 11:35:51 AM »
Hell yes! I always keep some on hand.

Old round wind up alarm clock, base broken away from clock body. Fixed.

Van rear view mirror that kept falling off the windshield. Tried super glue. Nope, fell off again in a few months. Tried the special glue for mirrors. It fell off again. Epoxied it, now still firmly attached to the windshield years later.

Rear facing dash cam, mounted to rear window on top of deicer wires. Cam mostly stays put, but falls off multiple times in winter when using rear window heat. No doubt due to strong temperature caused expansion and contraction cycles. A little epoxy, and now the cam mount is truly one with the vehicle.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 12:20:57 AM »
just wait until you try polymorph plastic.

So many small "broken" plastic bits around the home, repaired with polymorph, when the part could not be found on-line.. or cost $30 for a little bit of plastic to be mailed to you.... 

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 12:24:25 AM »
We haven't used epoxy, but there's a glue called E6000 that's available at Wal-Mart, craft stores or at Amazon here http://amzn.to/292obYW. This stuff is indestructible. My aunt used it to reattach her car's bumper and it held for many years until the car died of other causes.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 08:47:16 PM »
We haven't used epoxy, but there's a glue called E6000 that's available at Wal-Mart, craft stores or at Amazon here http://amzn.to/292obYW. This stuff is indestructible. My aunt used it to reattach her car's bumper and it held for many years until the car died of other causes.

Wow. I'll be looking for that stuff!
Seriously, I keep super glue, epoxy, bondo, shoe goo around at all times. Also steel putty (not sure what the real name is.)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:44:35 AM »
Check out 2-p10. That stuff is amazing - 3 seconds and stuff is bonded for life.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 10:31:19 AM »
just wait until you try polymorph plastic.

So many small "broken" plastic bits around the home, repaired with polymorph, when the part could not be found on-line.. or cost $30 for a little bit of plastic to be mailed to you....

Ooh! This could be just the thing to fix my plastic storage cabinets in the garage. I accidentally overloaded the shelves and some bits broke off.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 10:34:17 AM »

Seriously, I keep super glue, epoxy, bondo, shoe goo around at all times. Also steel putty (not sure what the real name is.)

What is shoe goo? Never heard of it before.

I just used some super glue I had lying around to repair my bicycle helmet. Structurally, it was perfectly fine, but the plastic cover that was glued to the foam and held on the visor had fallen off. I'm pretty sure it's stuck for life now. I've used this helmet for over four years now, so I am hoping it will last a little longer.

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 07:46:57 PM »
There is a Webpage that lists best glue for particular apps that is awesome.  Traveling but I bet Google could find it.  For epoxy I love jbweld.  For regular epoxy using the Fiberglas joint tape for wallboard to reinforce really helps. 

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 08:51:05 PM »

What is shoe goo? Never heard of it before.

I just used some super glue I had lying around to repair my bicycle helmet. Structurally, it was perfectly fine, but the plastic cover that was glued to the foam and held on the visor had fallen off. I'm pretty sure it's stuck for life now. I've used this helmet for over four years now, so I am hoping it will last a little longer.

Shoe Goo is the brand name for a type of rubber cement used to repair shoe soles. I use it for lots of other things too.

hopeful333

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 02:25:48 PM »
ShoeGoo never worked for me. For shoes or anything that needs to flex, try McNetts Freesole. Actually, McNetts makes repair products for many kinds of clothing and outdoor gear. Not affiliated with them, just a loyal customer.