Author Topic: Epic bike ride, $6.  (Read 2759 times)

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
Epic bike ride, $6.
« on: August 22, 2016, 08:03:18 PM »
Mountain bikers will understand. I did 23 miles with 4900 vertical gain yesterday. And this was no sissy XC trail. Well, XC on the way up but going down it is the definition of all mountain riding including roots, rock gardens, drops to flat, small tabletops, bermed sections and slow speed tech spots. Definitely having to float over the seat after 2x1500 foot climbs was the toughest part. But all in good fun, one of my more memorable rides and the best of the season!

The $6 was for 2x400 calorie vegan protein cookies and 2 bottles of gatorade. Can't beat that with a baseball bat!

Lowerbills

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Epic bike ride, $6.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 07:48:14 AM »
Very nice! Congrats.  Some of the best fun out there, and the closest thing to the fountain of youth.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 08:08:05 AM »
Those Lenny & Larry cookies are the tits!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 08:14:57 AM »
Gatorade powder is pretty damned cheap, and you can make your own Gatorade-type drinks with common household ingredients for even less.  Just fill 'em up in your bidons and you can get that 6$ down quite a bit cheaper.

EDIT - haven't tried these, but they look like they'd be worth a shot:  http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/6-homemade-vegan-energy-bars

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:42:23 AM »
Mountain bikers will understand. I did 23 miles with 4900 vertical gain yesterday. And this was no sissy XC trail. Well, XC on the way up but going down it is the definition of all mountain riding including roots, rock gardens, drops to flat, small tabletops, bermed sections and slow speed tech spots. Definitely having to float over the seat after 2x1500 foot climbs was the toughest part. But all in good fun, one of my more memorable rides and the best of the season!

The $6 was for 2x400 calorie vegan protein cookies and 2 bottles of gatorade. Can't beat that with a baseball bat!

Excellent! Truly a big effort ride, where was it? I typically dont include protein in my on-bike fuel, stick to carbs and co-factors (e.g. Mg2+, creatinine, etc) only.  I buy TwinLabs UltraFuel large tubs, which works out to be <$6/600 cal, but as indicated, no protein component.

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 01:51:03 PM »
I make rice cakes and salted baked potatoes.

No need for commercial sports products with colourings, additives, etc.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »
Haha, yes it was the Lenny and Larry's cookies. They're billed as protein but they really are more carbs.

Good call on powdered gatorade, I'll try that. I do sometimes make my own trail food, the typical oats + peanut butter + choc chips power balls. Didn't have ingredients because I was super busy the whole weekend.

Ride was at Tiger mountain outside of Seattle, I did two laps taking a different path downhill each time.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!