Author Topic: Employee referrals: side hustle?  (Read 2626 times)

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Employee referrals: side hustle?
« on: March 04, 2016, 12:31:53 PM »
I somewhat accidentally discovered something that could potentially be called a side hustle, though I'd happily do it for no monetary reward... My employer pays a good chunk of change (over $1,000) for each employee referral you make who ultimately gets hired. So for a very low time investment on my part (usually a meet-up over drinks or coffee with someone from my network who I think is awesome both professionally and personally, and then submitting their resume into an online system), I make a little money!

Keep in mind that I have only done this when I think the candidate would be perfect for the role and would thrive in it. But when those conditions are met, of course I'd refer the person, referral bonus or not! The good news is: two of my referrals have gotten hired in the past few months. Both are thrilled with their new gigs, my company is thrilled to have landed them, and I'm thrilled to be a tiny bit closer to FI for something I would've done anyway :)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Employee referrals: side hustle?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 12:40:06 PM »
It's definitely a neat way to make some extra money, but yeah, you do have to be sure about the person you're referring.

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 12:53:05 PM »
Absolutely. That's why I'm not sure I really consider it a side hustle - it's not something I would try to "hustle"! From my perspective, it's just a nice side-benefit for doing what I think is in the best interest of both the candidate and my employer.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »
Even better when you are friends with the new employee, and you share the extra cash as blow money for fun things together. "Let's take this free money and go on a mini-vacation together to celebrate your new job!" Worth more in good karma & strong friendships than collecting interest in the bank account :)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »
My employer pays $5,000 per referral, but I still haven't been able to convince anyone. It was revealed at some company-wide meeting a few months back that some guy made $35,000 in one year doing referrals.

subhobroto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • DIY is Fun
    • subhobroto.co.nr
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 07:00:25 PM »
This is a honest question: Why do companies routinely pay $5k (sometimes $10k+) to recruiters while they pay $500 - $1000 for employee referrals?

Employee referrals have always proven to be the best quality and routinely exceed anything a recruiter will send your way, so why this stinginess?