Author Topic: Easiest $100 we've ever made  (Read 4098 times)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
Easiest $100 we've ever made
« on: October 26, 2015, 07:35:48 PM »
we live in a transient neighborhood with lots of grad and professional students moving in and out every few years, they're constantly getting rid of good stuff.

A little while ago, I saw a a canoe on the curb for the taking while walking the dog before work. I came home and told bf, knowing he'd want it. He did and went to pick it up an hour later when he had a work break (he works at home) and carried it the less than block home. It wasn't new or a high end canoe but in good shape, we thought we'd take it to a family cabin.

Plans to take it to the cabin weren't materializing so I listed it on Craigslist for 100, I had so many calls and texts I had to take the ad down in less than two hours. Clearly should've listed it for more but the guy we sold it to showed up promptly and we'd gotten it for free.

Obviously whoever owned did not even try to sell it. Now we're discussing what to use the windfall for...

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
Re: Easiest $100 we've ever made
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 02:05:11 AM »
Great job! I'm not that lucky. I listed a dresser for 20 Euros and no takers. It was in good shape but I guess nobody in the neighborhood needs one, so now it will  be recycled.

needmyfi

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:07:27 PM »
Back in the day, the end of semester before summer break around the university was known as Hippie Christmas.  My husband would take his old truck and cruise up and down fraternity row for goodies which he would sell at his annual garage sale.

He also once found a 1880's SS Stewart banjo with mother of pearl inlay.  It was laying in a trash pile.  It's been appraised at around $1000.

Pride is not one of his faults.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 05:06:54 PM »
Back in the day, the end of semester before summer break around the university was known as Hippie Christmas.  My husband would take his old truck and cruise up and down fraternity row for goodies which he would sell at his annual garage sale.

He also once found a 1880's SS Stewart banjo with mother of pearl inlay.  It was laying in a trash pile.  It's been appraised at around $1000.

Pride is not one of his faults.

Sounds like my boyfriend! He picked up a subwoofer someone had left out the other day when we were walking the dog. I frequently have to dissuade him from brining home junk that we also have no use for...but sometimes you get lucky!

Mrspfenning, Craigslist is very hit or miss. Other things I've listed I couldn't give away for free!

needmyfi

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 05:32:54 PM »
Ha yeah I know about that too, there has been plenty of useless crap dragged home as well.  I'm glad he likes old things that have lost a little of their shine.  I'm heading that way whether I like it or not.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 11:45:34 AM »
I walked out of my apartment in college to take the trash out. Next to the dumpster was a very good condition flat screen LCD T.V that would have cost $600 new. It was slated for the trash heap. I took it inside, plugged it in. Verdict = didn't work...

I did some research, ended up replacing the backlight converter for $56 and after buying a universal remote for $15, have been using that TV since the spring of 2010.