Author Topic: Dyed my own eyebrows and lived to tell about it!  (Read 4035 times)

toodleoo

• Stubble
Dyed my own eyebrows and lived to tell about it!
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
A little background: I have dark hair and practically translucent eyebrows. They are also the texture of a brillo pad. Seriously, you could probably scrub pots and pans with them. So as you can imagine, standard eyebrow pencils and powders just do not work.

For years I have been getting them dyed at a salon. It's a royal pain in the ass, because I have to go every 4 weeks or so. It also adds up. I've tried some at-home dying (dyeing?) kits before with little success because my  light hair just will not absorb the dye.

So, I finally got the idea to buy the actual dye they use at the salon, because I know it works on me. It's technically only supposed to be sold to "salon professionals", but I found some online (thanks Amazon!). I watched a few You Tube videos and then gave it a shot. And it actually came out pretty good! The product I bought was around $60, but it will last me for a long, long time. Considering I was paying $35 for each visit, I am going to save a ton of money. I have no idea why I didn't do this years ago!!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Dyed my own eyebrows and lived to tell about it!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:13:32 PM »
Good for you!  That's great that you figured it out.  Saves money and your time too.  :)

Lisapants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:20:19 PM »
I'm impressed! I would be nervous to try that myself.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:20:45 PM »
Congrats! I have invisible eyebrows too and have used Just for Men Beard & Mustache dye (on my female brows) for several years with good success. It comes with a little mixing tray and application brush, so it's easy to use. Not sure if the dye will work in your case, but it's maybe worth a try after you run out of the salon dye.

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 05:54:40 PM »
Congrats! I have invisible eyebrows too and have used Just for Men Beard & Mustache dye (on my female brows) for several years with good success. It comes with a little mixing tray and application brush, so it's easy to use. Not sure if the dye will work in your case, but it's maybe worth a try after you run out of the salon dye.

Good to know, I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 06:55:22 PM »
You're welcome. :-) It could be that you're getting a better quality of dye. (?) Mine lasts about two weeks and then it starts fading, after 4 weeks the brows are completely invisible again. But the best part is that it only takes 5 minutes for the men's dye, so I really have no excuse to let them go for so long.

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 10:17:45 AM »
This has piqued my curiosity. I've had my eyebrows dyed professionally only once although I really need to more often since I have blonde eyebrows (and eye lashes). If I DIYed it, I'd be worried about tinting the skin around my eyebrows as well as the hairs. Am I over-thinking this or do you need to be really accurate when applying the dye?

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 12:48:20 PM »
I actually use a nice eyebrow makeup brush to apply the dye instead of the one that comes in the men's mustache dye...and how appropriate is it that we're discussing mustache dye here? :D I am pretty careful with the application, however at first there will be some dye on the skin under the eyebrow hairs until it wears off through washing. It doesn't look bad, if anything it might look like eyebrow makeup. And if you really goof up and get it outside the eyebrow area and don't notice it until it has dried, just use either rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab or some oil like olive or coconut oil on a cotton swab to rub off the excess dye,

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 06:06:26 PM »
I do end up getting some dye on my skin, especially at the ends of the brows where they are thinner. I just do the dying on a Friday night and by Monday morning the dye is mostly gone from my skin.

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 02:51:20 PM »
I actually use a nice eyebrow makeup brush to apply the dye instead of the one that comes in the men's mustache dye...and how appropriate is it that we're discussing mustache dye here? :D I am pretty careful with the application, however at first there will be some dye on the skin under the eyebrow hairs until it wears off through washing. It doesn't look bad, if anything it might look like eyebrow makeup. And if you really goof up and get it outside the eyebrow area and don't notice it until it has dried, just use either rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab or some oil like olive or coconut oil on a cotton swab to rub off the excess dye,

I do end up getting some dye on my skin, especially at the ends of the brows where they are thinner. I just do the dying on a Friday night and by Monday morning the dye is mostly gone from my skin.

Thanks for the advice :)