Author Topic: Dropped Verizon for Ting  (Read 3624 times)

cshaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Dropped Verizon for Ting
« on: February 15, 2015, 11:22:49 AM »
I was previously a Verizon wireless customer, having been so for over 10 years.  Originally it was just my wife and I with cell phones, and then with teenagers we grew to five phones.  As a reward for being a loyal customer I was able to watch my monthly phone bill grow from double digits to nice big $240+ per month when I finally dumped them on February 1st.
We just switch to Ting.  We bought everybody new “used” Sprint phones on eBay and Swappa for about $550.  We sold our old phones all on Swappa for about $500.  Our final Verizon bill was upward of $900, but Ting ETF credits will be about $250 and my first month’s bill with Ting is looking like it’s going to be about $82.  I originally assumed about $120 month, but the family has really made an effort at keeping the data down, which is where the usage can really add up.  So I’m guessing we’ll likely stay under $100 per month.
So far the service has been fine and we have not had any issued requiring a call to their customer support (which I hear is fantastic).   Verizon actually called within a few days offering some “Really great deals…”  To which I only have one thing to say: Fuck Verizon.

triumph07

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Dropped Verizon for Ting
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 01:01:03 PM »
I made the switch last month from Sprint to Ting, so far it's been awesome!  We were paying about $160 a month for two phones, unlimited everything.  Our contract was finally up so we took our phones to Ting, our first bill was $37!.  It feels great to not give Sprint so much $$ every month!

cbender49

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:38:56 PM »
I made the switch last month from Sprint to Ting, so far it's been awesome!  We were paying about $160 a month for two phones, unlimited everything.  Our contract was finally up so we took our phones to Ting, our first bill was $37!.  It feels great to not give Sprint so much $$ every month!

We're you able to use your Sprint phone on Ting and if so, was it an unlocked phone rather than one purchased through Sprint? I have a Sprint iPhone 5 that is out of contract but have been told by other providers it's not able to be unlocked for domestic use with another carrier.

cshaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 12:22:20 PM »

We're you able to use your Sprint phone on Ting and if so, was it an unlocked phone rather than one purchased through Sprint? I have a Sprint iPhone 5 that is out of contract but have been told by other providers it's not able to be unlocked for domestic use with another carrier.

I'd just go straight to the Ting BYOD page and enter the phones IMEI # to check:  https://ting.com/byod

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »
I think Ting would be the cheapest alternative for me, but I can't bring my phone over yet because it's a GSM device (AT&T iPhone 4). I did start the unlocking process today, so hopefully I can switch to something cheaper soon.

The only possible issue is that Ting says I will have 2G data speeds instead of 3G. I guess if I notice an issue I can switch to a different company that supports 3G for my phone.

triumph07

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »
I used a Samsung S3 that I had purchased from Sprint.  For sure use their website and check your phone, but I'm pretty sure most Sprint phones will work.  Their customer support has also been excellent so far, so you could use the chat function on the site and ask them.

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 04:08:12 PM »
Ting should start letting you bring your own GSM device by the end of the month. Right now I'm using a sprint S3, but my next phone will definitely be a GSM phone.

https://ting.com/blog/ting-to-offer-service-on-a-gsm-network/

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 03:04:33 PM »
I was previously a Verizon wireless customer, having been so for over 10 years.  Originally it was just my wife and I with cell phones, and then with teenagers we grew to five phones.  As a reward for being a loyal customer I was able to watch my monthly phone bill grow from double digits to nice big $240+ per month when I finally dumped them on February 1st.
We just switch to Ting.  We bought everybody new “used” Sprint phones on eBay and Swappa for about $550.  We sold our old phones all on Swappa for about $500.  Our final Verizon bill was upward of $900, but Ting ETF credits will be about $250 and my first month’s bill with Ting is looking like it’s going to be about $82.  I originally assumed about $120 month, but the family has really made an effort at keeping the data down, which is where the usage can really add up.  So I’m guessing we’ll likely stay under $100 per month.
So far the service has been fine and we have not had any issued requiring a call to their customer support (which I hear is fantastic).   Verizon actually called within a few days offering some “Really great deals…”  To which I only have one thing to say: Fuck Verizon.

YAY congrats on the switch!! My verizon contract requiring 102$ for 1 person will be DONE at the end of March.  I also plan on switching to Ting and I absolutely can not wait! I expect my bill to drop to 25-32$ (haven't totally decided on all the details yet).  The cell phone bill is one of my biggest face punches left in the budget.  Also, their customer service is so terrible!  Anyway, can't wait to join you at Ting!!!