Author Topic: Drastically reduced my grocery budget  (Read 4254 times)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Drastically reduced my grocery budget
« on: August 09, 2013, 09:03:39 PM »
Typically, I spend about $50/week on groceries, but ever since I started reading MMM I've been making more of an effort to cut costs.  For the past two weeks, I have averaged $25.56/week on groceries.  I could probably cut that number down even further if I could cut out more processed foods too.  Baby steps.

• Bristles
Re: Drastically reduced my grocery budget
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 06:39:26 AM »
That's great.  How did you do it?

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 06:55:37 AM »
I cut down on the amount of meat that I eat and I bought more high-calorie, low-cost bulk items at the wholesale club.  I also cut back on buying soda.  It's amazing how much money you can save with just a few changes to your buying habits.

bUU

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 07:09:51 AM »
We've been vegetarians for over four years. It seems like it has lowered our groceries expenses.

last two full years* as omnivores - $13k
first three full years as vegetarians - $9k

I'm not sure, though, that other factors didn't contribute, such as a renewed interest in economy.

_____
* That's as far back as our detailed break-down goes

frugteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 04:50:38 PM »
Cutting the meat buying down has done wonders to my budget as well. Beans and rice ain't that bad! With some veggies and other things, love it.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 09:09:18 PM »
Good job!  I need help in this area as well.  What kind of high calorie low cost bulk items have you been eating?

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 06:01:45 AM »
Luckily, I don't have a nut allergy, so I've added a lot of nuts to my diet, which has reduced my protein costs quite a bit.  I also switched from red meat to lean chicken and I've purchased that in bulk and then eaten it sparingly.  Instead of fresh vegetables, I've bought frozen veggies in bulk and those should last me a really long time.

One thing that makes me facepalm is that I didn't even realize that most fruits could be stored for weeks safely if kept in the fridge.  I've been throwing away so much fresh fruit up until now.  Oh, well.  Better late than never, I suppose.