Author Topic: done with the A/C for the year.  (Read 5569 times)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
done with the A/C for the year.
« on: September 06, 2014, 07:59:24 AM »
I know some of you are capable of going all summer long w/o the air conditioner.  However we are just not that bad ass (yet). Looking at the extended forcast I think it's safe to say we are done with the a/c for the year. Although it's been a relatively mild summer here I still feel pretty good about only running it for ~6 weeks. We ran it off and on through June, and July and then for about the last three weeks in august. One thing that makes it a little more difficult in an agricultural area is all the dust in the air. During harvest there is just a haze in the air. Also ks can get pretty windy and blow all sorts of dirt around. we really don't like to dust more than we have to so sometimes we get lazy and leave the ac on and windows closed.

agent13x

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: done with the A/C for the year.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:14:06 AM »
Same here in Omaha. Just turned ours off yesterday for the first time in a while. Now we'll see how long we can go without needing the heat. Last year we made it quite a while!

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:28:44 AM »
About to turn it off in WV too! Humidity is the problem here... Unbearable without the ac sometimes... But can usually go without heat until late out/early Nov depending on the year- And now that we heat with wood primarily, much easier to 'spot' heat as necessary...

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:45:50 AM »
Same here in Omaha. Just turned ours off yesterday for the first time in a while. Now we'll see how long we can go without needing the heat. Last year we made it quite a while!

You where probably in the same boat we where this week. Thursday it was 96 degrees windy and dusty. Friday morning I woke up and it was 80 degrees and the cold front came through and we actually dropped temperature throughout the day. At 3:00 in the afternoon it was 74 :). We had a little back yard get together after work and DW actually grabbed a long sleeve shirt after the sun went down.

KeithTax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Wealthy Accountant
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:14:57 AM »
Doesn't anyone just use their basement? I haven't used AC in years. Put an AC unit on my Tetco geothermal heat pump back in the mid 1990s and only used it 3 times in 17 years. Of course, this is Wisconsin. But we still get mighty humid and warm in summer. I adjust quickly because I don't use AC.

As a corollary, I only heat my home to 60 in the winter, cooler at night. I stopped getting sick when I lowered the temp and its light on the pocketbook. It seems a guy adjusts pretty fast, making the house much more comfortable at 60 without the overdry air of 70 and higher.  Had some push-back from family, but now that my oldest is looking to move out on her own she seems to think 60 is the right winter temperature for comfort and her pocketbook. It's more catchy than a cold, I guess.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 12:21:09 PM »
We are in NE Kansas and that cool front brought us more rain. Had the windows open for the last 24 hours and we are so so enjoying the free AC! We keep the house at 80* in the summer, according to our neat thermostat, it mainly ran from 6pm-midnight, averaging about 3-4 hours per day on the hottest days. Many days were less than 2 hours. But it sure gives me satisfaction on the days it doesn't run at all!

Heart of Tin

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 12:25:45 PM »
We are in NE Kansas and that cool front brought us more rain. Had the windows open for the last 24 hours and we are so so enjoying the free AC! We keep the house at 80* in the summer, according to our neat thermostat, it mainly ran from 6pm-midnight, averaging about 3-4 hours per day on the hottest days. Many days were less than 2 hours. But it sure gives me satisfaction on the days it doesn't run at all!

The rain we have been getting lately has been lovely! I mostly enjoy the late night thunderstorms. I'm celebrating going the entire summer without A/C for the first time this year. However, I'm in a third floor apartment, so I get plenty of wind to help me along.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »
Ha ha! I live in South Florida. My challenge is going the whole winter without putting the heater on. It's actually not much of a challenge as I hardly ever need to put on the heater, only the rare times it hits the 30s (F). And even then I try my hardest to layer up the warm blankets in bed. I even slept with a ski cap on once to avoid putting the heat on. I did it more for the challenge than to save money though. ;-)

But many others around these parts turn the heater on when it hits the 50s and maybe even the 60s. These are the same people that complain about the hot summers. I enjoy our mild winters here and love feeling a little bit of the cold. But then I start dreaming of the warm summers so I can go to the beach.

It would be really hard for me to be A/C free. I won't say impossible because people lived in this area for a long time before A/Cs were popular, but it's not something I would wish for. I do minimize its use as much as possible.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 12:32:56 PM »
Since it is 96 degrees F outside today (here in NJ), I think we will keep the air conditioning on a little longer.  We have kept it at 80 degrees F, though, so the electric bill hasn't been as bad as it could be.  As long as we strip down indoors, we are perfectly fine at 80 degrees.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 03:56:12 PM »
Since it is 96 degrees F outside today (here in NJ), I think we will keep the air conditioning on a little longer.  We have kept it at 80 degrees F, though, so the electric bill hasn't been as bad as it could be.  As long as we strip down indoors, we are perfectly fine at 80 degrees.

Interesting...I may or may not do that. Can't reveal too much in case I have some voyeuristic neighbors that read this forum.

My A/C broke once and I cleaned the house wearing a bathing suit. Fun times.

starterstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 04:10:03 PM »
We're in southern California and it's going to be hitting the fall season here soon.  We are striving to keep our AC off from this point forward, given things should be cooling down tremendously in the next few weeks.  Our goal has been to keep our electric bill sub-$80/month, which is very challenging given the high cost of electricity here.

I'll post an update if we can actually achieve our AC savings goal :)

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 04:39:57 PM »
I haven't turned off the AC completely but I have mostly had it set so it only turns on when the apartment is 79 degrees, which is getting less and less frequent.

I think I've gotten much more used to heat as the summer has gone by. Now sometimes I'll come home, the AC is off, and I don't notice the heat enough to turn it on until my boyfriend comes home and complains.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 04:52:34 PM »
I've got a few more weeks to go before I'll turn my a/c off.  It's 104 today and the ten day forecast says more of the same to come.  Can't wait for October to get here. 

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 07:54:13 PM »
When we lived in Kansas we ran the air much of the summer.  This year we only turned it on a few times, when company stayed with us in July and stayed in the rooms upstairs. 

We came very close to giving in several times, but it is great having the low electrical bills!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 07:48:26 AM »
Doesn't anyone just use their basement?

No basement here. And the last house had an unfinished basement used for storage.

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 07:57:05 AM »
Here in coastal Texas, we aren't anywhere near done! With temps in the 90s, humidity at 70 or 80%, and no basements (the water table here doesn't allow basements), A/C is a necessity well into September.  But I keep it set to 81, and we are quite comfy.

Congrats to you for reaching the end of the AC season early! Enjoy those open windows, I can't wait :)

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 09:02:55 AM »
Just popping up to say I've never lived in a home with an air conditioner in my life.  Lived in the Midwest and the West Coast.  Ceiling fans, open windows at night.  Nice low bills.

I know that wasn't what you asked.  But just sayin' anyway.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
Just popping up to say I've never lived in a home with an air conditioner in my life.  Lived in the Midwest and the West Coast.  Ceiling fans, open windows at night.  Nice low bills.

I know that wasn't what you asked.  But just sayin' anyway.

Yea I know we are not that bad ass. I grew up without a/c. My parents finally got it my junior year of high school. After moving out of my parents house I didn't have a/c until my GF now wife moved in. I would really like to go back to not using it but the domestic tranquility is worth it lol.

mustachianteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
We're in southern California and it's going to be hitting the fall season here soon.  We are striving to keep our AC off from this point forward, given things should be cooling down tremendously in the next few weeks.  Our goal has been to keep our electric bill sub-$80/month, which is very challenging given the high cost of electricity here.

I'll post an update if we can actually achieve our AC savings goal :)

I will be super impressed if you pull this off. We live in SoCal as well, but in an inland valley, and I always think of August and September as the hell-in-LA months. It's 101 here as I type this. The only upshot is I can line dry at least three loads on days like this, and even hang out a load overnight that will be dry well before morning.