Author Topic: Dollar Tree Happiness  (Read 15400 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: Dollar Tree Happiness
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »
My gross store is in CT and surely needs some work on it. It is a pig sty.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:47:56 AM by Roadrunner53 »

aloevera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2019, 07:32:33 PM »
They definitely vary. Ours are quite nice, the one in VA near my kid is much smaller and not nearly as nice, an hour from me is a really large well stocked neat one.

YMMV.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2019, 10:02:37 AM »
Yes, the one near me is very disgusting.  Clearly each of my visits is immediately preceded by an earthquake: there's a kind of continuous waterfall of stuff from shelves into sprawling heaps on the floor of every aisle, and usually at least one aisle largely impassable due to the slick of olives mixed with broken glass and after dinner mints. 
The architectural layout isn't really the store's fault, but there are also a lot of columns right in front of large areas of shelving, creating dark, scary never-cleaned caverns of terror.
I only buy things there that are items if I wouldn't mind that they spent a few days rolling around on the floor (toilet plunger = ok, vegetable brush = yuck.)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2019, 10:58:00 AM »
Yes, the one near me is very disgusting.  Clearly each of my visits is immediately preceded by an earthquake: there's a kind of continuous waterfall of stuff from shelves into sprawling heaps on the floor of every aisle, and usually at least one aisle largely impassable due to the slick of olives mixed with broken glass and after dinner mints. 
The architectural layout isn't really the store's fault, but there are also a lot of columns right in front of large areas of shelving, creating dark, scary never-cleaned caverns of terror.
I only buy things there that are items if I wouldn't mind that they spent a few days rolling around on the floor (toilet plunger = ok, vegetable brush = yuck.)

Well, your store sounds a bit more disgusting than my store! I didn't think that was possible! Hahahaha! I don't buy much at my store. Mostly shampoo and shower body wash for my hub. He has extremely short hair but goes thru tons of shampoo. The dollar store has some decent brands but no idea why he needs so much shampoo! His hair is like 1/4 inch long! LOL! I can't afford to supply him with expensive body wash or shampoo at the rate he uses it! We buy the word search books, some foil pans, wrapping paper, bows, cards, odd ball things. The offerings never vary much so nothing exciting at my store. No refrigerated stuff, no frozen stuff. Just the gross black stains on the green indoor outdoor carpeting. BLEH!

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »
The stores by me are thankfully not disgusting.  They’re far from shiny and new, but they’re fine and sort of remind me of Walgreens.  The worst thing is they put those poles on their carts so you can’t take them into the parking lot.  One time I bought a decent haul of stuff without realizing the cart wouldn’t exit the front door, and carrying the multiple bags AND my toddler (one year old at the time) to the car in one load was... not fun.  Never again.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2019, 11:59:18 AM »
I'm glad I've never been to a disgusting store; not sure how I feel about a second report of one.

I've rarely noticed if the carts can go outside as I've never bought more than I could easily carry. Of course a preferred shopping cart anti-theft device would just lock up the wheels if you attempt to move it beyond the parking area, but keeping the carts inside reduces the total carts needed and the expense of employees wrangling carts as well.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2019, 12:32:17 PM »
Here are some pictures of the store near me, from Google reviews.  I will grant that the disembodied crawling hands might be seasonal. The rest is pretty representative, or even unusually orderly.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x4cca7bbc2ef90f6f%3A0x68136f92aecbb079!3m1!7e115!5sGoogle%20Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNWX2EbM5jKEAxJFqrGWRcZikfA-r78lUAS7m93

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »
Here are some pictures of the store near me, from Google reviews.  I will grant that the disembodied crawling hands might be seasonal. The rest is pretty representative, or even unusually orderly.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x4cca7bbc2ef90f6f%3A0x68136f92aecbb079!3m1!7e115!5sGoogle%20Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNWX2EbM5jKEAxJFqrGWRcZikfA-r78lUAS7m93

A few of those pics are much more disorderly than I expect at DT (especially the one you linked to), but most are fairly common. I've seen a lot of warehouse stores with nicer concrete floors though - DT usually has tile or green carpet in my experience.

I don't find the level of disorder in any of these unusual:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x4cca7bbc2ef90f6f%3A0x68136f92aecbb079!3m1!7e115!5sGoogle%20Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPEMXt7a1YkbBOvmuszF-dEijP7os945xaEg7QF
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x4cca7bbc2ef90f6f%3A0x68136f92aecbb079!3m1!7e115!5sGoogle%20Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipM57EtixZCmmW9qa2CImUcEW8S9Sate8AZ9pRiY
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x4cca7bbc2ef90f6f%3A0x68136f92aecbb079!3m1!7e115!5sGoogle%20Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPx3LCzycCZSzi7qR2DiJuEuJUzVZbdZDeyyjVA
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x4cca7bbc2ef90f6f%3A0x68136f92aecbb079!3m1!7e115!5sGoogle%20Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOftrOWLqPR1makfh4who7b-eHYdi3tBgmdPEPI
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x4cca7bbc2ef90f6f%3A0x68136f92aecbb079!3m1!7e115!5sGoogle%20Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOftrOWLqPR1makfh4who7b-eHYdi3tBgmdPEPI
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x4cca7bbc2ef90f6f%3A0x68136f92aecbb079!3m1!7e115!5sGoogle%20Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPtAmmkwHPXftWuNhZZjsLvTKFAjdJrGwQD_E0Y

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2019, 03:33:33 PM »
Dollar stores near me are quite nice. There are about 6 of them within a 5 mile radius, they are all okay to nice.

Coming back on topic.

My latest dollar store happiness is with cheap gloves. Recently discovered cheap ones that are 2 for $1.

Somehow I lose a lot of gloves. Thank god for dollar store gloves.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »
My 7 year old wanted to give Christmas gifts to everyone in the family this year, so I took him and his 4 year old brother to Dollar Tree, gave them a $10 budget, and let them go to town.  The 4 year old didn’t totally get the concept, and ended up with a bunch of hilariously weird gifts, like a big, echo microphone for his dad that’s really for himself.  But the 7 year old was able to peruse the store pretty independently and took a lot of pride in picking out thoughtful gifts.  He had so much fun he said he wants to make it a tradition.  A little lesson in budgeting, independence, and generosity—not bad for $10.  Thanks Dollar Tree.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2020, 05:13:53 AM »
I like the Dollar tree particularly when we travel for the kids and sports. We will grab person hygiene products, snacks, water and I get my readers there. But we also when home will stop there for many things from cards to batteries , cleaning supplies it just depends. Never really have bought items from there freezers though. And of course as others have mentioned great for party stuff.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2020, 09:37:37 AM »
The closest dollar store to us is the biggest and newest in the area, the people are friendly and it is clean - plus - there are two more not too far away, one of them not in the best shape the other one only a year or two old, nice people and clean too.

I've reduced my shopping a lot in the past year incl at the dollar store, but I'm running out of gift bags... tape... hoping for some books and a couple of pens.
Stores like this really help with the budget.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2020, 11:48:20 AM »
Our stores are relatively new, so pretty okay on cleanliness.

Last year we got all our stocking stuffers there. Son is a Scout, so we got him all sorts of little things that would come in handy but hardly be used (and not worth spending a bunch of money on) - zip ties, bungee cords, multi-tool, travel tissues, travel sunscreen, key chain/can opener, phone charger, etc.

Last year we also went to two DT stores grabbing up wire mesh trash cans that make EXCELLENT garden cloches for sprouting plants. De-greaser. Our four large, handled soup mugs came from there (and are going strong after 4 years of use). A mini-spatula. Plastic colander. Comet cleanser.

We went on a road-trip last summer and all our travel items came from DT including First Aid kit stuff (generic benadryl, gas-ex, tums, ibuprofen, tylenol, immodium), a small plastic lidded container to use as a car trash can, duct tape, antibacterial travel wipes, ear plugs (because someone DOES NOT snore, pfft).

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2020, 05:18:32 PM »
I really like the 35% bigger cans of Campbell's soups (13.8 oz) for $1, vs my local grocer's (10.7 oz) for $1. The only kicker is once or twice a year my local grocer has the 10.7 oz for 50 cents each when you buy a certain quantity, which is a better deal.

aloevera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2020, 07:16:18 PM »

Last year we also went to two DT stores grabbing up wire mesh trash cans that make EXCELLENT garden cloches for sprouting plants.

What a great idea!

ashleyinchs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2020, 02:59:15 PM »
Things I buy there-
Cards
Birthday gift bags (we go to a lot of birthdays for kids) and tissue paper
Home organization
Kitchen tools
Cleaning tools and products, especially sponges and dish brushes

Food typically is a rip off...even the candy is a smaller quantity.

phildonnia

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2020, 04:02:37 PM »
I've always thought that Christmas needed to be toned down a bit in this country. 

Every year, we take the whole family to Dollar Tree, and everyone buys presents for everyone else.  We get out of there having spent less than $10 each. 

So Christmas is still about useless crap and wrapping paper, but without the January hangover.