Author Topic: Dollar Tree Happiness  (Read 15399 times)

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
Dollar Tree Happiness
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:06:56 PM »
We have a dollar tree very close by our home. Today stopped for getting aluminum foil. My 3 year old son picked a toy car and showed the same happiness that he would get from slightly costly toy from Target. Surprised to see a decent carpet for $1 and bought it. My wife and I decided dollar tree has to be our first stop to buy things.
What items do you buy in dollar tree? And what items not to get from there? Share your wisdom please.

steevven1

• Stubble
Re: Dollar Tree Happiness
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 08:50:29 PM »
Amazing for toys for young children, yes. Love your comment about the happiness/joy a "cheap" toy can give a kid.

We find Dollar Tree to be useful for a lot of household items. Cleaning supplies, etc. We even bought our plunger there, haha.

It's hit-or-miss with food. Just pay attention to the unit price and compare with Walmart/Costco. They win on some items and lose on others.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 08:53:36 PM »
You can find loads of toys in great condition at thrift stores, too, for like pennies, FYI.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 08:59:58 PM »
You can find loads of toys in great condition at thrift stores, too, for like pennies, FYI.
Yes there is thrift store close by and can find almost new toys for less than $5...

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:54:28 PM »
Batteries, reading glasses, sun glasses. Candy and other snacks. Food storage containers. Mylar balloons.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 05:25:05 AM »
Batteries, reading glasses, sun glasses. Candy and other snacks. Food storage containers. Mylar balloons.
I didn't think dollar tree batteries had good life....do you regularly use it from them?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 05:38:41 AM »
Ammonia, bleach, salves (like antibiotic salve) and powders or hydrogen peroxide. Party goods. Greeting cards. Gift bags/paper.

If you're trying to get pregnant they have perfectly good pregnancy tests (they were highly rated on the preggo boards that researched them, just not "early" like within days detection).

Holiday decor. They are the happening spot for basics/building supplies for Halloween in my home haunter group, and they go all out for most holidays/seasons. Pool noodles and floaty stuff, all kinds of decor.

Nail polish/remover, hair ties/bands.

Shower curtains, paint trays, super glue (really, the brand name stuff).

There are some things that are obviously not worth it, and there are some things that are overpriced compared to like Walmart or Target. For instance, Suave shampoo. It's a dollar (ha!) at the dollar store? It's 88¢ at the Target/Walmart. And watch out for the food stuffs, as those usually are much higher than actual grocery stores.

Some things just aren't a good value, like some of their store brand soaps/body washes. Just not good quality at all. It'll get the job done, but there's an obvious difference.

Watch the sizing too. They'll have a name brand product, but it will be much smaller than the ones you're used to seeing. And the larger sizes tend to be priced cheaper per unit cost than at the Tree.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 07:37:24 AM »
I didn't think dollar tree batteries had good life....do you regularly use it from them?
I've been using their batteries for years and I've had good results.

Blue Skies

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 10:04:46 AM »
I had forgotten about the pregnancy tests!  Yes, used many of those back in the day.   We had issues getting pregnant.

These days - cards, balloons, superglue, and ramen.  My kids love ramen for lunch and for some reason the big chain grocery store I usually shop at does not carry it. 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 10:35:55 AM »
Things I get there:

bread
bagels
pet dishes
pet toys
kitchen tools (corkscrew, spatulas, can opener, etc.)
small kitchen dishes (like little glass bowls for dipping sauce, sold in packs of 4)
shot glasses (again sold in multi-packs . . . get the party started!)
batteries (in my experience, they work just fine)

Things I want in smaller amounts than typically sold at another store, like:
benadryl
melatonin

Food is totally hit or miss. One time I got a big jar of extremely delicious black olives and I was kicking myself for not buying 2-3 while they had them, and I've gotten some really yummy gourmet brand canned soup. The tortillas I bought there were terrible. It seems like they stock a mixture of their standard items they always carry, which are often NOT a good deal due to being undersized, poor quality, or just something that is always under a dollar at the grocery store (like salt or a small box of baking soda), and random overstock stuff, which can be a great deal!

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »
I use a combination of Dollar Tree and thrift stores for stocking stuffers for the family. I have been very surprised to find some pretty good quality candy among the cheap candy. Last year they had a mini Godiva sampler box that made a great stocking stuffer for my husband.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 12:10:16 PM »
We have a second home/rental property that's a beach house that rents by the week in the summer. Since it's furnished, a lot of stuff is either destroyed or walks away, especially anything kitchen related. Dollar Tree is great for replacements.

I wish greeting cards would go away in this era of texting and social media, but older relatives still expect them and Dollar Tree is great for that. Also underrated is T-shirts. Dollar Tree occasionally has a rack of unprinted T-shirts that are Gildan SoftStyle or similar good quality. In this era of disposable T-shirts for everything (kids activities, etc.), it's a Godsend.

Peach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 05:57:20 PM »
My favorite things to buy there:

Greeting cards and gift wrapping paper are #1;
Reading glasses that I keep all over the house;
Plastic buckets;
Plastic clothes baskets (great for puppy toys);
Small household stuff like glue, tape, cleaning supplies;
Mesh bags for washing delicates;
Storage cubes for lightweight items; and
Treats we shouldn't have like chocolate.

I haven't tried them, but for someone who wants to eat cheap but healthy, Dollar Tree has good-sized bags of frozen vegetables (several blends) and frozen fruit (blueberries, peaches, and strawberries) for $1.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 06:35:59 PM »
I've been using their batteries for years and I've had good results.
Good to know. Going to try them when my stock is done.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 06:37:59 PM »
Got 2 greeting cards for my kids today, 2 for $1...they have a very good collection.

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 10:40:53 AM »
I used to live in walking distance from a dollar tree. It was awesome. Enjoy the store!!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 10:49:37 AM »
Greeting cards for sure.  I cannot believe I used to pay $5 for a damn card before MMM.  We also buy balloons and holiday decor at the dollar store.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
Greeting cards for sure.  I cannot believe I used to pay $5 for a damn card before MMM.  We also buy balloons and holiday decor at the dollar store.
Exactly...fanciness of the card has little to do than the love, intention & the message.

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2019, 11:17:05 PM »
Sunday newspaper with all the coupons for a dollar

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 08:43:27 AM »
Frozen foods- veggie burgers, frozen berries, some frozen vegetables ( the broccoli is too tough but carrots and pepper/onion mix are good), spring rolls.
Cleaning supplies, sunglasses ( my husband trends to run over his with the tractor), candy
Sunscreen and bug spray, forgotten sun hats when on a trip.

Kazyan

• Stubble
    • Books By Tanner Jacobi
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 08:12:23 AM »
Earbuds! They're $4-$10 everywhere else.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 08:28:00 AM »
Craft supplies.
Cheap character Band-aids for kids after flu-shot trip to the doc.

Careful about going overboard with dollar-tree, however. On regular items, I've sometimes found other places (e.g. wholesale clubs, or Aldi's) to be cheaper per unit.
e.g. Aluminum foil tray is better quality and cheaper at Sams, especially if you can buy when they have a discount.

Never used batteries from there. Will need to try.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 12:16:34 PM »
Mostly I see "Heavy Duty" carbon zinc batteries at Dollar Tree. This is the cheapest battery chemistry available. Carbon Zinc batteries are fine for low discharge devices (clocks, many toys, flashlights) but their capacity is about half that of alkaline batteries. Higher discharge devices (particularly camera flash) will see much less useful life from carbon zinc batteries. Alkaline batteries can be found at lower unit prices in larger packs elsewhere. If you go through more than a dozen alkaline batteries of a size per year, you're probably better off shopping for a larger pack than purchasing at Dollar Tree.

For most of my AAA & AA needs, I've been transitioning to low self-discharge NiMH rechargeable batteries (no more leaking alkaline batteries due to lack of use). Low self-discharge NiMH are usually sold pre-charged. Some higher capacity NiMH batteries are also availible, but their self-discharge rate is high enough that usable capacity for low drain devices is lower. I started with a Panasonic charger + Eneloop battery package from Costco (still plenty of AA batteries for me, but I purchased additional Amazonbasics branded AAA cells batteries as needed).

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 12:21:56 PM »
Reading glasses. I felt like such a chump when I realized that I'd been buying them from drugstores and supermarkets at a 2,000% markup. Same glasses, probably made at the same Chinese factories.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »
My first reading glasses were from Dollar Tree.

Upgraded to a 3 pack from Costco for $20 (included case and cleaning cloth, so comparable to $5 at Dollar Tree). Frames were a bit more stylish and quite a bit better quality. Case was comparable to Dollar Tree, cleaning cloth was much larger. Keep a set at home, a set at work, and a set in the car (extra cases and cleaning cloths purchased at Dollar Tree).

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 06:31:55 AM »
Great information from everyone. Thank you all.

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2019, 08:01:43 AM »
Earbuds! They're $4-$10 everywhere else.

I love my local dollar tree but I have had horrible luck with those lol

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2019, 08:46:05 PM »
In addition to what’s been noted (especially pregnancy tests, though amazon is cheaper still if you’re trying for any length of time) I get balls and bubbles there to take to the park.  Then if toddler destroys one (or “dunks” it in a particularly disgusting trashcan) it was only a dollar.  So far our mini soccer ball from there has lasted quite well.

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2019, 01:47:56 PM »
Thank you. Got some dollar tree cleaning spray with bleach that works great!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2019, 07:14:51 PM »
Today I ran over to the Dollar Tree near work since I forgot my lunch. Frozen spicy meat pasties and broccoli with cheese sauce. Also got some solar stake lights so maybe our old dog won't be scared to go out to pee anymore.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2019, 12:03:37 PM »
Dollar Trees aren't as common in Canada - Dollarama is the big player here.  But they are overpriced  (lots of $4 stuff), so I was happy when 2 DTs opened in our city.  We don't get the same variety of things Americans get, and everything is $1.25 here, but still some good bargains.

-Cleaning supplies, especially Totally Awesome Cleaner and Amoray toilet cleaner.  I am not a fan of most of their laundry detergent, (too watery, so you need twice as much) but use the blue one with oxy-clean for towels and other non-clothing items.  They don't offer a non-scented variety, and most of my family has skin issues with perfumed and scented detergent.

-Stickers.  Our grandson loves stickers, and they have new ones all the time.

-gift wrap, cards, napkins, etc.

-some food items, but limited here.  No freezer items, and we rarely get the cereal deals the U.S. gets.   Crackers, some cookies, rice, spices are usually good buys if they are name brand and full sized.  Coffee selections are horrible - won't be buying those again!   Thin pizza shells - we love those for quick home-made pizza night.
-bread, depending on the store (ones next to grocery stores are limited in what they can offer due to non-compete rules).   One of our DTs offers Dempsters breads, rolls bagels, etc.   This is a super buy - those often go for $2.50 each and more here.

-first aid items are also limited here.  No cough syrups, antibiotic creams, etc.  But usually decent band-aids, disinfectants, cold packs and those sorts of things.  They carry benzalkonium chloride swabs, which are great for scrapes and cuts because they don't sting.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2019, 12:54:57 PM »

Re Mylar balloons: I saw a particularly fancy Mylar balloon that had deflated post-event put in a frame and hung on a kid's bedroom wall. Brilliant idea as a keepsake, and you get double the value for the balloon!

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2019, 04:37:48 PM »

Great Store.  We have bought many things from Dollar Tree.  When I needed to raise our couches slightly, i bought an entry rug from them, cut it into squares and placed them under the feet.  It's amazing what you can get for a dollar.  We also by our watch batteries and other small specialty batteries there.

BJ

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2019, 08:09:23 AM »
Mostly I see "Heavy Duty" carbon zinc batteries at Dollar Tree. This is the cheapest battery chemistry available. Carbon Zinc batteries are fine for low discharge devices (clocks, many toys, flashlights) but their capacity is about half that of alkaline batteries. Higher discharge devices (particularly camera flash) will see much less useful life from carbon zinc batteries. Alkaline batteries can be found at lower unit prices in larger packs elsewhere. If you go through more than a dozen alkaline batteries of a size per year, you're probably better off shopping for a larger pack than purchasing at Dollar Tree.

For most of my AAA & AA needs, I've been transitioning to low self-discharge NiMH rechargeable batteries (no more leaking alkaline batteries due to lack of use). Low self-discharge NiMH are usually sold pre-charged. Some higher capacity NiMH batteries are also availible, but their self-discharge rate is high enough that usable capacity for low drain devices is lower. I started with a Panasonic charger + Eneloop battery package from Costco (still plenty of AA batteries for me, but I purchased additional Amazonbasics branded AAA cells batteries as needed).

Any opinion about Harbor Freight's high QTY batteries?

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2019, 07:21:26 PM »
I eat too much candy, and on occasion have enjoyed it from a Dollar Tree. HOWEVER!!!! Trader Joe's has several $1.00 options that are fantastic, like their peanut not-M&M's, and dark chocolate PB cups.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2019, 10:15:41 AM »

Any opinion about Harbor Freight's high QTY batteries?
I recommend shopping batteries by 1) chemistry and 2) mAh rating (often not mentioned in online listings - but usually doesn't vary much across brands within a chemistry).

Dollar Tree usually has AA and AAA carbon-zinc batteries in 4 packs for $1 - $0.25/cell. Sometimes you find AAA or AA alkaline batteries in a bonus 3 pack for $1 - $0.33/cell, but often you only see alkaline in 2 packs - $0.50/cell.

I've never looked at batteries in store at Harbor Freight, but online they have 24 packs of AAA and AA carbon-zinc for $4 - $0.17/cell. 24 packs of AAA and AA alkaline batteries are $8 - $0.33/cell. If I hadn't already decided to switch to NiMH, I'd probably check out Harbor Freight's alkaline batteries next time I needed more.

100 Amazon basics AA or AAA batteries cost $20.96 - $0.21/cell. Sometimes Costco's Kirkland Signature packs are even cheaper per cell. However, if it takes you more than a few years to use the batteries, you might be better off paying higher per cell prices.

ULminimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2019, 08:57:14 AM »

In my usage of electronics, mainly headlamps, I've found that dollar store batteries generally have 1/3 the lifespan of name brands like Duracell and Energizer, these are non lithiums. Any battery labeled "heavy duty" is trash. So the batteries last 1/3 the time, but are 1/4 the cost, but you are creating a lot more trash. I don't use anything that takes batteries anymore, I have a rechargeable headlamp for hiking, was the only thing I owned. As rechargeables become cheaper, I think you will hopefully see disposable batteries disappear.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2019, 08:58:12 AM »

In my usage of electronics, mainly headlamps, I've found that dollar store batteries generally have 1/3 the lifespan of name brands like Duracell and Energizer, these are non lithiums. Any battery labeled "heavy duty" is trash. So the batteries last 1/3 the time, but are 1/4 the cost, but you are creating a lot more trash. I don't use anything that takes batteries anymore, I have a rechargeable headlamp for hiking, was the only thing I owned. As rechargeables become cheaper, I think you will hopefully see disposable batteries disappear.

Yeah... Dollar Tree and Harbor Freight batteries are a big 'no-go' for me as well.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2019, 09:28:50 AM »
I just went to our Dollar Tree store this past week. I bought two medium square plates that I am using for two planters I have to catch excess water. Are perfect size for these square bottom planters. I bought two Arm & Hammer baking soda carpet powder. A plastic basket to keep my bread in. A salad/fork combo that is a Betty Crocker item. . My hub like word search puzzles and they have a lot of books to choose from and only $1. I went to a wedding recently and picked up some bows/ribbons and wrapping paper. I bought some greeting cards there too.

My dollar store has lots of cleaning products, kitchen gadgets, glassware, dishes but is lacking on wire baskets and other things I have seen on youtube from people who shopped at their local Dollar Tree store. My store is also disgusting! They have indoor outdoor carpeting and it is stained with giant dried up spills all over the place. I am talking GROSS and filthy looking! It is like tip toeing thru the tulips in that place to avoid the repulsive splats.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2019, 09:25:01 AM »
Yeah... Dollar Tree and Harbor Freight batteries are a big 'no-go' for me as well.
The key is to avoid "Heavy Duty" (carbon-zinc) batteries (unless the device is low-drain and you don't care much about battery life). I've generally had no problem with alkaline batteries of any brand or supplier as long as I actually used them before their shelf life expired and they started leaking (brand name batteries may have better shelf life). Alkaline leakage is the biggest reason I'm switching to NiMH.

aloevera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2019, 06:20:06 PM »
Aluminum foil is actually one thing I can't buy at Dollar Tree, it is so thin it rips really easily.

Carpet squares - I made a LR rug with 7 strips (I pulled 7 with the same pattern) I duct taped together on the back. Looks amazing. $7.

Some health stuff like aspirin, peroxide, etc.

Clear shower curtain liner with magnets is much sturdier than the actual shower curtains they sell.

4 pack of bagels were great. Spices.

The occasional plate or bowl or wine glass.

Cleaning supplies - bathroom/kitchen  cleaners and broom and dustpan and plunger etc.  Drano.

Jamaican patties - ours carries beef, chicken and a "jerk chicken" type.

I'm into thrift stores too but DT is a regular stop for certain things, as is Aldi.

Cali4en

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2019, 09:26:05 PM »
Ours has a great selection of kitchen items.  Decent spatulas, salt shakers, condiment bottles, and especially kitchen timers.  The same kitchen timers that are $5 on Amazon are just a $1.  Super convenient to have good timers with alarms for all sorts of uses, kitchen or otherwise.  Been two years now and they all still work fine.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2019, 05:57:36 AM »
Timers are GOOD! I take various medications that have to be taken an hour apart and then again 12 hours later. It is hard to remember all of this but the timers keep me on track. However, the beeps drive me nuts after a while!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2019, 01:31:10 PM »
Well - since I seem to be incapable of leaving any Dollar Tree store in our vicinity w/o spending $30 or so I always wonder if it is truly such a great deal - but indeed, I realize it is.

My favs are
Gift wrap-bows-greeting cards
Holiday decor - seasonal items - garden stuff - I always spend about $60 around X-mas for tins and other decors (I bake and gift homemade cookies) and their sparkly X-mas doodads make a simple gift look fancy
Books
Bar soap - the biggest one near me always features good quality scented soap - indulgent:)
Toiletries - travel items - ointments - first aid stuff and bandaids - OTC meds
Kitchen things - storage containers - cleaning supplies
Home decor and craft items
Pens-hi lighters

No alu foil - waayyy too thin, no food, no candy - don't trust the quality, batteries only if it is the day before the hurricane and I just realized I need more batteries.
Also good for emergency supplies - canned heat and true emergency candles, lighters, etc.

aloevera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2019, 03:50:31 PM »
LED light bulbs. Can't touch that price anywhere else.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2019, 11:41:30 AM »
Sunglasses.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2019, 11:54:36 AM »
LED light bulbs. Can't touch that price anywhere else.
$1 as the regular price for a (non-dimming) LED bulb is pretty good, but I did get a better deal recently - a 4 pack of dimmable 60W equivalent LED bulbs for $4 at a store operated by a liquidation company.

aloevera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2019, 05:22:28 PM »
Nice find on the LEDs!

Jars of olives, roasted red peppers and some condiments like hot sauce. Check labels though, there's HFCS and MSG in some things.   

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2019, 01:20:48 PM »
My Dollar Tree store is just okay. First off, it is DISGUSTING! The carpeting is green indoor/outdoor carpet and is extremely stained anywhere there is food, detergents. liquids. It is totally disorganized and looks like a hurricane came thru. I still go there and pick up stuff now and then and actually went there today. But, it doesn't give me any pleasant vibes whatsoever. That store has no refrigerated or frozen stuff. The variety of items rarely changes except seasonal stuff. I am surprised that corporate doesn't visit these stores and see what a train wreck they are.

If you look up at the ceiling, it is missing ceiling tiles and those tiles that are there are rust stained.

Do the rest of you have gross stores or is it just mine?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2019, 01:59:51 PM »
My Dollar Tree store is just okay. First off, it is DISGUSTING! The carpeting is green indoor/outdoor carpet and is extremely stained anywhere there is food, detergents. liquids. It is totally disorganized and looks like a hurricane came thru. I still go there and pick up stuff now and then and actually went there today. But, it doesn't give me any pleasant vibes whatsoever. That store has no refrigerated or frozen stuff. The variety of items rarely changes except seasonal stuff. I am surprised that corporate doesn't visit these stores and see what a train wreck they are.

If you look up at the ceiling, it is missing ceiling tiles and those tiles that are there are rust stained.

Do the rest of you have gross stores or is it just mine?
I think your Dollar Tree is below average, but I don't think anyone goes there because it provides a nice shopping experience. The displays are always a bit messy and disorganized. I haven't noticed carpet stains, but I think I may have overlooked them if they were there. However, most (perhaps all) their stores I've visited do have a refrigerated and/or frozen section and I have never seen missing or rust stained ceiling tiles in one.