Author Topic: Do you run 5k's?  (Read 57554 times)

Mike

• Stubble
Re: Do you run 5k's?
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2015, 07:31:21 PM »
To me, more speed work translates into more risk of injury / overuse / training fatigue.

Looking back over my training log for the past six months, I've only averaged around 10% of total mileage being devoted to tempo sessions; the rest of it was easy to moderate effort.  Despite that lack of speed work, my times continue to drop - likely due to the improved aerobic base (I spend half my weekly training time on the bike).

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2015, 07:55:52 PM »
Just did a 10k on the beach in under an hour. The time's still not great, but it's getting better, and the sand makes it a lot harder.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2015, 11:48:28 PM »
I was running 5ks at just over 30 minutes.  But then I sprained my ankle pretty terribly hopping a creek.  It's just getting to the point now, after 5 months, where I can start jogging on it a little bit.  Hoping to run at least a couple of 10ks this year.  I've thought about doing a half, but it depends on how my ankle holds up.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2015, 10:24:49 AM »
19:25 at end of 2011 at age 42. First sub-20 since high school. The key for me was to just focus more on speed work and do most of my training on more forgiving grass (around soccer fields).

Now dealing with some knee issues. Hope to get back to sub-20 at end of 2015.

bop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2015, 10:32:20 AM »
When I was 20, I ran a 5K in 19:50.  I didn't run another race for 30 years.  Now that I'm 51, my best recent time is 24:48.  I would love to do another sub-20, but it probably won't happen.  For now, my goal is sub-24.   
Hmm, today I achieved my goal of sub 24.  In fact, I ran 22:25.  It helped that the course was super flat.  I guess my new goal is sub 22. 

Anybody else reach their goal this spring?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2015, 10:46:43 AM »
These days, I don't really run anything less than 10k's...and I do those in around 52minutes. I would like to think I could churn out a sub 25 min 5k. :)

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2015, 05:14:50 PM »
Alright I'm gonna post my goal here for accountability.  I am signed up for an 8k in late September.  I'm gonna shoot for sub 31 minutes.

ephillipsme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2015, 07:32:12 AM »
Yea 45 and about 25-26 min avg.  more a cyclist but Wife and daughter are runners so i join them on some 5K's

AmbitiousCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2015, 08:03:46 AM »
I am 26, and I run about a 29 minute 5k.  It's slowly coming down to lower numbers.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2015, 08:55:56 AM »
First 5k this past saturday. 27:36

I am a clydesdale runner =D

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2015, 09:15:48 AM »
I ran my first 5K on April 16. 23:26

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2015, 11:19:58 AM »
I used to be really big into running, ran all through high school and college only to pretty much quit running all together, life choices.  Ran a 15:48 5k in college, 8 years ago.  Ran a 19:47 2 years ago after training for about a month...very disconcerning mentally to compare with where I was.  I still get out and run about once a week and I still feel it "sets me free", no matter how slow I may be now.

tesuzuki2002

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Living life and building Freedom Money
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2015, 03:51:51 PM »
I'm an avid runner and Triathlete...  2 things that go again Mustachianism for those of you that race or do a few events a year..   Know that the cost for these events have gone sky high like everything else in the past 3-5 years.

5ks my fastest was a 20:20... back when I trained for short distance.. (I'm not a runner by any means.. )   I average around 22:30 but that is what happens when you start endurance racing I keep telling myself...   

The real culprit is that I love beer!!

cheers!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2015, 05:11:08 PM »
very disconcerning mentally to compare with where I was.  I still get out and run about once a week and I still feel it "sets me free", no matter how slow I may be now.

That is why I have trouble getting back into it after extended time off.  Instead of enjoying my progress I just keep comparing my fitness to back when I was doing 75 mile weeks year round.  Hard to stay motivated when I am 2 minutes/mile slower on most runs.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2015, 06:05:42 PM »
very disconcerning mentally to compare with where I was.  I still get out and run about once a week and I still feel it "sets me free", no matter how slow I may be now.

That is why I have trouble getting back into it after extended time off.  Instead of enjoying my progress I just keep comparing my fitness to back when I was doing 75 mile weeks year round.  Hard to stay motivated when I am 2 minutes/mile slower on most runs.

Ha -- paradoxically, this makes me feel great, as someone who just started running two months ago at age 48.  I'm just so thrilled to be doing it that I feel like a rock star. Until I look at all your 5k times, that is! :p

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2015, 06:31:37 PM »
Some of you are super fast.

I've been running off and on do two years and currently wo king on upping my distance rather than speed, but my best 5k today is around 28:20. I'm 34

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2015, 02:08:15 PM »
Last year, I did my 2nd 5K ever. Ran a 20:32. I think I can work this down to a sub 19:00. I am 26.

I'm starting to train for a half in November. Not sure what my goal time for that will be.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »
If the only race you are willing to run is a 5k... does that make you a racist? ;)

Homey The Clown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2015, 08:54:01 PM »
I ran a decent amount in college, not on a team. I got to low 19:low 5k, 40:low 10k. I'm now 45 and running again. I'm getting faster, but honestly, I'm not into running a local 5k. Partially it's the money thing, and partially it's that running a 5k isn't really a challenge. Adding to the saving money aspect is that my wife also runs and if we both do a race, we have to add the cost of a babysitter to the entry fees. I did make a deal with the promoter of the summer trail series here to do a couple races for free if I run with a Go Pro. We still have to pay a baby sitter.

I'm mostly sticking with long events that are on trails. I did a half marathon in January and a 25k early this month. I think I'll stick with 2-4 races per year. For 5k, I like to think I could get under 21 on a flat course, and that with a bit more running get back under 20. Maybe I'll do one if I can find a small $10 or less (no t-shirt option) race to do.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2015, 07:03:57 AM »

Tried again today 26:02

Felt like death

Homey The Clown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2015, 07:41:23 AM »
A PR by 1:34 is something to be proud of. If you didn't feel like death when you finished, you have more in you. Start doing some speed work (200's, 400's, 800's) and you'll get under 25 for sure.

Tried again today 26:02

Felt like death

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2015, 08:05:18 AM »
I'll do 5ks but I'm really casual about training for it.  The most I've done is a half marathon and even for that I would just go on longer training runs when I was in the mood for it or needed to blow off some steam.  My best 5k time is around 27 minutes which I was pretty happy about though.

I admire the obsessive runners but I really don't have that in me.  If I'd rather go for a bike ride or go hiking I'm not going to stop myself because I need to stick to a running schedule.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2015, 01:58:27 PM »
Well this thread has made me feel sufficiently bad about myself. :-p

I can barely run a mile right now, but I'm signed up to run a 5k in 6 weeks, so I've got a lot of work to do. A few years ago I did the Couch to 5k program and completed a 5k in somewhere around 34 minutes (am I the only one who doesn't remember the exact times of my races?). But then I fell out of the habit of running, and so I've had to start back at square one.

I seriously think my body is not built for running though, does anyone else feel that way? Seasoned runners always tell me about the runner's high and how once you reach a certain point it becomes easy and enjoyable, but I have never experienced any of that. I do it because it's incredibly challenging for me and every little accomplishment is a huge victory, which is really rewarding. I have a really hard time imagining that the people who run 5+ miles every day really struggled as much as I do when they first started. If they did, there's no way there would be so many people running marathons. :)

AmbitiousCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2015, 05:32:22 PM »
BAM!  And just like that I smashed my 29 minute 5k PR down to 25:21!  It knocked the wind right out of me but I did it.  Thank you everyone for this inspiring thread!

I seriously think my body is not built for running though, does anyone else feel that way? Seasoned runners always tell me about the runner's high and how once you reach a certain point it becomes easy and enjoyable, but I have never experienced any of that.

If you have never gone further than 5k, that might be why.  I normally only run 5k, but one day I decided to push it further, planning to go to maybe 7k.  At around 6k I broke through some kind of wall and suddenly felt like I could just keep running indefinitely.  I ran 10k that day, having never ran more than 5-5.5k in my life.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2015, 07:29:12 PM »
BAM!  And just like that I smashed my 29 minute 5k PR down to 25:21!  It knocked the wind right out of me but I did it.  Thank you everyone for this inspiring thread!

I seriously think my body is not built for running though, does anyone else feel that way? Seasoned runners always tell me about the runner's high and how once you reach a certain point it becomes easy and enjoyable, but I have never experienced any of that.

If you have never gone further than 5k, that might be why.  I normally only run 5k, but one day I decided to push it further, planning to go to maybe 7k.  At around 6k I broke through some kind of wall and suddenly felt like I could just keep running indefinitely.  I ran 10k that day, having never ran more than 5-5.5k in my life.

Sure, but even after several months of running 3-5 times per week, just completing a 5k still felt like a herculean feat. How long is it supposed to take?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2015, 11:51:09 PM »
Well this thread has made me feel sufficiently bad about myself. :-p

I can barely run a mile right now, but I'm signed up to run a 5k in 6 weeks, so I've got a lot of work to do. A few years ago I did the Couch to 5k program and completed a 5k in somewhere around 34 minutes (am I the only one who doesn't remember the exact times of my races?). But then I fell out of the habit of running, and so I've had to start back at square one.

I seriously think my body is not built for running though, does anyone else feel that way? Seasoned runners always tell me about the runner's high and how once you reach a certain point it becomes easy and enjoyable, but I have never experienced any of that. I do it because it's incredibly challenging for me and every little accomplishment is a huge victory, which is really rewarding. I have a really hard time imagining that the people who run 5+ miles every day really struggled as much as I do when they first started. If they did, there's no way there would be so many people running marathons. :)

Yeah, I gotcha.  I've been a runner for almost a decade (though a few years off for illness), have run half marathons and shorter races, and have never gotten addicted to the endorphins or runner's high (or whatever).  I have reached the "this is easy, I could go on forever" state while running longer distances, but again, not addictive. It is a big commitment and effort to get my training in.  I am slower than molasses in January (this thread has inspired me to go for shorter distances but increase speed.)

I specifically take pride in running because I appear to have no real aptitude or innate gifts for it.  Every thing is an effort, so I am motivating myself to do something I'm not naturally good at to challenge myself and for better health.  I figure it's easy to do things you're good at. It stretches you to tackle things you suck at.

SUP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2015, 03:55:15 AM »
36 and 26 minutes. I get beat by people in the "speed walking" division? Whatever the hell that is. I prefer swimming, but in triathlons if you are a fast swimmer you spend the rest of the race getting passed . . .

AmbitiousCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2015, 07:13:50 AM »
Sure, but even after several months of running 3-5 times per week, just completing a 5k still felt like a herculean feat. How long is it supposed to take?

Do you always run the same speed and same distance?  If so, that could be the problem.  Try doing some longer but slower runs, and some shorter but faster ones to mix it up.  Cross training might be helpful too, you could try cycling or rowing for example.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2015, 09:22:06 AM »

I'm with you, running simply feels terrible. Each step sending shockwaves up my body, 1 misstep from meeting the pavement, becoming more and more out of breath until you literally have to stop. After running a bunch of stuff hurts and tightens up while I sleep, resulting in poor sleep, cramps, and painful walking the next day.

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2015, 01:30:31 PM »

I'm with you, running simply feels terrible. Each step sending shockwaves up my body, 1 misstep from meeting the pavement, becoming more and more out of breath until you literally have to stop. After running a bunch of stuff hurts and tightens up while I sleep, resulting in poor sleep, cramps, and painful walking the next day.

Have you ever tried barefoot or minimalist running?  I've heard people with your issues swear that it helps. 

I falso ind running on pavement uncomfortable after a while.  Luckily, I can usually just go a couple feet to the side and run on grass/dirt for a while to give my joints a break.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »

Have you ever tried barefoot or minimalist running?  I've heard people with your issues swear that it helps. 

I falso ind running on pavement uncomfortable after a while.  Luckily, I can usually just go a couple feet to the side and run on grass/dirt for a while to give my joints a break.
Ya, I run somewhere between the balls of my feet and midfoot. I used to run in Vibrams, now I use Reebok Nanos for workouts, which are flat bit have a bit more padding. Running still sucks.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2015, 01:50:08 PM »

Do you always run the same speed and same distance?  If so, that could be the problem.  Try doing some longer but slower runs, and some shorter but faster ones to mix it up.  Cross training might be helpful too, you could try cycling or rowing for example.

But when running a 5k in ~35 minutes is a huge accomplishment, how much is there to really vary? It's already such a slow pace that if I went any slower I may as well be walking. And it's a short enough distance that if I did a shorter run at a higher speed, how much value would I get from it? I'm not arguing against your suggestion in principle, I've heard it recommended many times before, but I don't understand how it applies to people like me who are only able to run short distances at slow speeds. Do you think it's still valuable?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2015, 01:59:19 PM »

But when running a 5k in ~35 minutes is a huge accomplishment, how much is there to really vary? It's already such a slow pace that if I went any slower I may as well be walking. And it's a short enough distance that if I did a shorter run at a higher speed, how much value would I get from it? I'm not arguing against your suggestion in principle, I've heard it recommended many times before, but I don't understand how it applies to people like me who are only able to run short distances at slow speeds. Do you think it's still valuable?

I'm at around your speed and I see value to trying to get faster. It's a goal, which is motivating. Training my body to perform at a higher level will improve my overall fitness. I do feel bad about myself, being so slow, so I will gain some confidence by achieving faster speeds.

Also, it improves my chances of survival in the case of a zombie apocalypse.

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2015, 03:41:28 PM »

Another variable you can play with is grade!  I know I only started feeling confident as a runner after I'd successfully jogged over some big hills.  There were plenty of times where I had to walk, but that's good exercise too!  If you're lucky, when you get to the top of the hill you'll be treated to a really nice view.  And once the road flattens out, you'll get a nice burst of energy which makes the next stretch seem to zoom by.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2015, 05:37:04 PM »

So how long are your training runs 3-5 days a week?  Are you doing a 5k each time as fast as you can?

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2015, 07:06:42 AM »
I'm running a 5k tomorrow.  It was supposed to be a half, but I borked my ankle last fall and only in the last couple of weeks have I really been comfortable running on it.  I expect to finish in around 35 minutes... I've never been fast, and this is after a break from running for nearly 9 months.  Hoping to run a sub 60 minute 10k in July, but I'll admit to not mastering the 10 minute mile yet.  We'll see how that goes.

Ocelot

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2015, 08:03:33 PM »
To me, more speed work translates into more risk of injury / overuse / training fatigue.

Looking back over my training log for the past six months, I've only averaged around 10% of total mileage being devoted to tempo sessions; the rest of it was easy to moderate effort.  Despite that lack of speed work, my times continue to drop - likely due to the improved aerobic base (I spend half my weekly training time on the bike).

10% of mileage is heaps for speedwork, I don't do more than that even when close to a goal race. By definition it's never going to be a big chunk of your mileage, unless you're specifically racing sprint distances. If you totally neglect speedwork your times will eventually plateau as you reach the limits of your aerobic adaptation and the only way to improve from there will be anaerobic work. The cool thing is that once you get the anaerobic training going, it improves your aerobic as well due to no exercise ever being purely one system, thus allowing you to continue seeing improvement in aerobic base even when you've otherwise 'maxed it out'.

Also in response to other discussions here, all variation is relative. Even if your running pace is slow, going slower ie walking will help to build a base and 'time on your feet' which will improve your running speed. You can also throw in hill walking etc as a middleground or for more variation. 100m sprints at a high level of effort are an amazing way to improve general speed as well, even if you can only manage a couple per session, as they force anaerobic adaptation and provide your body with experience with a faster stride, which will knock-on to faster technique during your normal running.

17.59 5km here, mainly racing 20km+ trail races, marathon and ultra distance, also qualified PT and ex-elite level mountainbike racer.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2015, 11:39:42 AM »
Not fast by any means, but ran a 5K in 23:52 this morning, then ran half of it back to walk with my pregnant wife and 3 year-old to their finish.

The better part was taking home leftover after-race food. About 30 bananas, a pineapple, a huge bag of sliced oranges, and some granola bars. I feel as though I got my money's worth from that race.

belgiandude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2015, 12:48:15 PM »
I am a irregular runner; i.e. i only run a couple of months per year where I slowly build up to 10k.

Without much preparation I can run a 10k in 42 minutes.
Wondering what I would have been able to achieve if I actually started to run regularly...
My brother who runs more than me can do a 35 minute 10k though. Good genes, I guess.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2015, 02:58:39 PM »
I'm running a 5k tomorrow.  It was supposed to be a half, but I borked my ankle last fall and only in the last couple of weeks have I really been comfortable running on it.  I expect to finish in around 35 minutes... I've never been fast, and this is after a break from running for nearly 9 months.  Hoping to run a sub 60 minute 10k in July, but I'll admit to not mastering the 10 minute mile yet.  We'll see how that goes.

$10...how did you do?  I improved 12 minutes over my March 2015 time of 1:04 to finish at 52 minutes today.  Looks like I still have some work to get back to the 49 min 5K I ran in 2014, ha!

You just reminded me to check my time. :)  I finished in 35:43, just where I thought I'd be.  I have another 5k a week from Saturday.  It'll be interesting to see if I've improved.  Last year I ran it in about 33:37.  I think it might be possible to shave off that two minutes.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2015, 11:20:30 AM »

$10...how did you do?  I improved 12 minutes over my March 2015 time of 1:04 to finish at 52 minutes today.  Looks like I still have some work to get back to the 49 min 5K I ran in 2014, ha!

You just reminded me to check my time. :)  I finished in 35:43, just where I thought I'd be.  I have another 5k a week from Saturday.  It'll be interesting to see if I've improved.  Last year I ran it in about 33:37.  I think it might be possible to shave off that two minutes.

Ran the 5k today in 33:36.  I'm happy with that.  Last year I came in third with that time, but this year there were some 21-24 minute female runners.  Now I'm off training for a 10k on July 4th.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2015, 12:00:20 AM »
I just did one today in 27:05 - a full 3 minutes better than my first crack at it 6 months ago. Super happy with that.

Works out to be 5:25 per 1000m. Hoping to go under 25 min soon enough.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2015, 07:12:30 AM »
I just did one today in 27:05 - a full 3 minutes better than my first crack at it 6 months ago. Super happy with that.

Works out to be 5:25 per 1000m. Hoping to go under 25 min soon enough.

Nice improvement!  Some solid weekly mileage will definitely get you under 25.

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
My favorite race distance is the 5 Miler / 8k plus it's about the same cost as a 5k and not as crowded. But I still complete half marathons and full marathons on the regular. I'm not particularly fast but I've definitely seen progression over the last few years!

I'm currently training for a full this October, and hope to make 2015 a year of PR's. How? I'm adding hills and a lot more strength training.

I'm 27 with no family, so keeping active and busy makes sure I leave my apartment and interact with people.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »
As my fitness level increases, I am starting to surprise myself...I busted out a 52 minute 10km run this morning - I wanted to do a long sea kayak with my DW today, but it was a bit windy and it would have made for a wet paddle - not that I would have cared, but my wife is not quite that hardcore. ;)

I am curious what kind of time I could post for a 5k...I have a nice track near my city-home and I might give er' hell for 12.5 laps and see what I can post. :)

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2015, 04:53:36 PM »
I used to run 5k and 10k races and have done a half marathon. These days I no longer enter any races and just run outside or on my treadmill (in winter).

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2015, 11:11:25 AM »

I am curious what kind of time I could post for a 5k...I have a nice track near my city-home and I might give er' hell for 12.5 laps and see what I can post. :)

As long as it is not an excuse to post more topless photos of yourself :-)

Went in to local running store Saturday to get a new pair of shorts, holy-f that stuff is expensive!  I really want to support the local running community and what that stores does but man is hard to work into a budget.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2015, 11:21:29 AM »

Give it a shot!  Although a 5k on the track can be a bit mind-numbing.  You could always map out a road course or find a bike trail.

BigEasy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2015, 01:52:18 PM »

Started running 5K's when I was 24  and I'm 61 now. PR is 15:45 when I was 31 and was  a consistent sub 17:00 into my 50's.

Gave up running last year and replaced it with cycling and hiking.... Still  volunteer coaching cross-country for an elementary school ...

Glad I did this, and wouldn't have traded any of the experiences for anything in the world.

Big Easy

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »
Necromancing thread!

So last week there was a shout out on our local metro paper to "Parkrun". An organisation that (through volunteers) holds timed 5k running events every Saturday morning in your local area.

I googled, and there is one near me! I have to say it's a great community event. People bring their kids and the dogs and have a bit of fun.

Time goes up on the website results page this afternoon. The course had a few ups and downs so I'm not sure I will break a PB of 24:47 (done on a flat track), but keeping my fingers crossed!

Anyone else participate?