Author Topic: Do you run 5k's?  (Read 57551 times)

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Do you run 5k's?
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »
My 5k PB is around 28 minutes.
I haven't run in nearly a year. I tried going out at some point in the last year but the impact was too hard on me. Since then, I've been doing a bit of yoga.

Actually, I'm glad to see this thread as running does wonders for my mental health. I am signing up for a 5km race 29 days from today and will get new shoes and gear to go with it.

Ended up using some shoes gifted to me that were sitting my roommate's closet and did pick up a pair of tights ($7).
Paid close attention to my knee injury and clocked a 32.37.
I feel like I'm in the swing of things and on track to do another one on Dec 4th.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2016, 11:38:16 PM »
My 5k PB is around 28 minutes.
I haven't run in nearly a year. I tried going out at some point in the last year but the impact was too hard on me. Since then, I've been doing a bit of yoga.

Actually, I'm glad to see this thread as running does wonders for my mental health. I am signing up for a 5km race 29 days from today and will get new shoes and gear to go with it.

Ended up using some shoes gifted to me that were sitting my roommate's closet and did pick up a pair of tights ($7).
Paid close attention to my knee injury and clocked a 32.37.
I feel like I'm in the swing of things and on track to do another one on Dec 4th.

Well done for getting out there and having a go!

I didn't do one this week... put off by the rain (which actually stopped by the time the race would have started!).

Will do another this weekend. Even without it my step count for Saturday was over 21,000. Whoever said all you do in cricket is stand still all day out in the field has never actually played before. You can rack up a lot of distance running from one end of the field to the other.

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2016, 12:42:06 PM »
25, ran a 30:41.  Ran a 10k at 1:07:00.  I probably need to think about upping my speed or upping my distance.  My 5K speed is kind of abysmal for my age group, but doing a marathon would be nice too.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2016, 06:49:12 AM »
Another Parkrun fan here - when I manage to make it.

Before my next marathon training cycle starts want to try and improve my parkrun time - my PB is 27:55, so if I could get 27 min, that would be awesome.....

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2016, 02:15:26 PM »
I missed my usual park run 2 weeks in a row now! Gotta get back into it this coming weekend.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »
When I return home from hot, hilly Baja I'm going to go to the local high school track and try to post a time. Been running 5k's every morning with the odd 10k thrown into the mix. Even with the hills I'm breaking 25 min without too much strain. Interested to see what I can do on a track. I'll post the time here in a couple of weeks.

Resting heart rate currently at 43 BPM - quite simply, never been this fit...not bad for a 44 year old who was 60 pounds overweight 2 years ago, eh? :)

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2016, 03:02:16 PM »
I did a 5k in 31:22 last year (29 at the time).  Personal best is around 25.  I am not built like a runner though lol.

Looking at the results, my last mile was quite a bit faster than my first two; could probably up the pace some.

I recently started paying attention to my resting heart rate too.  Since I really cracked down on my eating habits and generally work out 5 days a week now, my resting rate has dropped from 77 to 68 in the past few weeks.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:04:06 PM by dignam »

laka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2016, 04:17:21 PM »
I just finished week 4 of the C25K program. I'm ridiculously proud of myself - I've started the program a couple of times, but never stuck with it for more than 2 weeks. This time I'm running outdoors (no treadmill, trying to get the speed set up correctly always made me crazy, especially in the early stages) and listening to podcasts instead of music, and I'm actually liking it! And I'm giving myself extra credit since it snowed on Friday and I did my run on Saturday without grumbling to myself too much.

I've never really enjoyed running, but I'm drawn to it for the simplicity. You just put on your shoes and head out the door. I would love to make this stick, so I'm trying to post about it all over and convince myself that this is just a thing that I do. :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2016, 04:35:49 PM »
...I'm drawn to it for the simplicity. You just put on your shoes and head out the door.

And remember your house keys. Locked myself out a few times... :(

DrMoneyTails

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2016, 05:43:58 AM »
i've been stuck at 27 min for a 5k.. my personal best was during a turkey trot 2 years ago when i clock 5K at 25:20. i've been trying to run longer distances now that work is cutting me a break and i have more time, so yesterday i ran 5 miles at 45 minutes.
my wife kick's my butt and she runs her 5k at 22 minutes. she's 35, i'm 30.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »
15:52, A long time ago, at age 17. It was a flat course at sea level. Never repeated that again as I got older and started to live at much higher elevations. I also ran a mile in 4:32 and a 3200 in 9:32 in the same year.

Could probably do a 5k in the low to mid 20's these days if I have to, but I have throttled back running big time. Last year while training for a 10k, I messed up my IT band and could barely walk for a few weeks. I still jog short distances (2-3 miles) but keep it to a moderate pace and on soft surfaces. Most of my exercise is weight lifting these days, with bicycling for cardio. And hiking, lots and lots of hiking.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2016, 09:35:45 AM »
Another UK parkrunner here, I've also just been accepted for the London marathon next year :)

Best times
1k - 4:02
5k - 22:15
10k - 48:37
Half marathon - 2:01:30

I only started running earlier this year, I'm aiming for a 3:45 in the marathon (2017)

My times have improved slightly :)

1k - 3:50
5k - 22:01
Half marathon - 1:56:53

I'm still just trying to keep a steady / regular weekly mileage until New Year and then the real work starts!
It's been a bit tough the last few weeks, it's dark and almost always raining.  I'm looking forward to spring.

I hope everyone else has been making progress too.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2016, 03:54:40 PM »
Big group of us booked the university track and did a bunch of mile races (10-15 in each, a race for the 5-min runners, one for the 6-min runners, all the way up to 9-min runners.) Took a couple of seconds off my PB for that.

UKMustache, do you have some pre-London races lined up - half marathons or 20-milers? Your HM time still looks a lot slower than a 22min parkrunner should be getting and a long way off a sub-4hr marathon.  (My most recent times are 1:44 for HM and 4:14 for marathon.) I guess things will change when you start to ramp up the distance.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2016, 12:15:06 AM »
Another UK parkrunner here, I've also just been accepted for the London marathon next year :)

Best times
1k - 4:02
5k - 22:15
Half marathon - 2:01:30

I only started running earlier this year, I'm aiming for a 3:45 in the marathon (2017)

My times have improved slightly :)

1k - 3:50
5k - 22:01
Half marathon - 1:56:53

I'm still just trying to keep a steady / regular weekly mileage until New Year and then the real work starts!
It's been a bit tough the last few weeks, it's dark and almost always raining.  I'm looking forward to spring.

I hope everyone else has been making progress too.

This is interesting.... I have run a 4min 1K, but a 25min best for 5k... logically either your best for 1k should be a fair bit better or my 5k should be a fair bit better :)

My 5k progress has stalled and I'm stuck at around 26:30. Cannot seem to go any quicker :/

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2016, 01:03:06 AM »
Big group of us booked the university track and did a bunch of mile races (10-15 in each, a race for the 5-min runners, one for the 6-min runners, all the way up to 9-min runners.) Took a couple of seconds off my PB for that.

UKMustache, do you have some pre-London races lined up - half marathons or 20-milers? Your HM time still looks a lot slower than a 22min parkrunner should be getting and a long way off a sub-4hr marathon.  (My most recent times are 1:44 for HM and 4:14 for marathon.) I guess things will change when you start to ramp up the distance.

That sounds fun, if only I had enough running buddies!
I'm going to sign up for a few races once I start and see how my body is taking the increased distance.

My endurance is without doubt the bit I need to work on, the furthest I had run in the 6 months before that HM time was 13km (and that was a one off).
So really I consider that to be my starting point rather than indicative of a finish time. 

I'm going to do 15 weeks structured training before a 10 day (ish) taper, so I'm certainly hoping my times will improve!

Oh and hills, that half had over twice the elevation gain of the entire London marathon..  Those hills near home will be my secret weapon :D

Mustachianfuture

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: December 26, 2016, 04:40:40 PM »
Hi all - I'm also a U.K parkrunner and love parkrun :) I think it's a very Mustachian thing to do as well, free, fantastic community event and makes runners and volunteers happy. Pb is around 26.30, I'm female in my late thirties and set this time about a month ago.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2017, 08:55:08 PM »
I'm logging sub-30 min 5ks right now.  Don't want to push myself too hard though.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #167 on: March 28, 2017, 01:40:21 AM »
Hi all - I'm also a U.K parkrunner and love parkrun :) I think it's a very Mustachian thing to do as well, free, fantastic community event and makes runners and volunteers happy. Pb is around 26.30, I'm female in my late thirties and set this time about a month ago.

Another ParkRun fan here - a great start to your weekend.

I'm more into longer distances, I don't have the speed for a great time at 5k, but am happy to be towards the end of the pack and I love the fact there are people of all sorts of abilities, from the 16 min runners to over 1 hr at my local ParkRun.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2017, 10:42:29 AM »
Resting heart rate currently at 43 BPM - quite simply, never been this fit...not bad for a 44 year old who was 60 pounds overweight 2 years ago, eh? :)

You're kicking ass and taking names. I'm 30 years old, with a resting heart rate at 42-45 BPM. In college I was regularly at 38-40 bpm. Exercise, even a little, does wonders.

Last time I ran 5k, two months ago, I ran a 20:48.
Fastest time ever was 17:48, age 18 on the high school cross country team.

My mom is 56, and regularly runs 45-46min 10ks, and can come in at 22min for a 5k. She says, bring it on.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2017, 10:44:59 AM »
When I return home from hot, hilly Baja I'm going to go to the local high school track and try to post a time. Been running 5k's every morning with the odd 10k thrown into the mix. Even with the hills I'm breaking 25 min without too much strain. Interested to see what I can do on a track. I'll post the time here in a couple of weeks.

How'd it go on that 5k speed run Jon? You're kicking ass and taking names in your retirement.

I'm 30 years old, with a resting heart rate at 42-45 BPM. In college I was regularly at 38-40 bpm. Exercise, even a little, does wonders.

Last time I ran 5k, two months ago, I ran a 20:48.
Fastest time ever was 17:48, age 18 on the high school cross country team.

My mom is 56, and regularly runs 45-46min 10ks, and can come in at 22min for a 5k. She says, bring it on.

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2017, 11:26:53 AM »
I was delighted to learn that there's a local Parkrun course. Thanks for the info!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »
Posting, mainly just to follow. I'm in week 8 of the couch to 5k program. I've never run an "official" 5k before, but that will happen sometime this spring. Did track in early high school, but that's been a while ago =P I've been enjoying the running, particularly since it's overlapped with a lot of stuff coming up and blooming- watching the progression of all this has been great. My goal for right now will just be a sub-30 min 5k. I battle issues with one of my knees, so I take it pretty easy with running.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »
I was delighted to learn that there's a local Parkrun course. Thanks for the info!

Guessing you're in Canada? I hadn't realised that parkrun had started up there.

That is pretty impressive. There's a lady at our parkrun who is in the VW65-69 age category who runs a 22 minute 5k most weeks, I know I've put in a good time if I finish ahead of her, as she is also the current European indoor 3000m age group champion. There's also a lady in her 80s who does a 27 minute 5k and also regularly turns out at other events as a marshal, timekeeper etc. She's a real inspiration.

I've just entered Windermere marathon, which is in May. One lap of England's largest lake. Looks like a pretty hilly course, so I have already written off any chance of a PB and given myself permission to take it easy on the uphills.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »
I've signed up for a half marathon in September... gotta get cracking on training now.

Did 10k on the treadmill at a relatively slow pace of 6min/km... been told to run much much slower for longer distances. Something about having enough to just make it to the end is better than simply burning out with 3k to go.

Is it advisable to do a couple of training runs to 21k and beyond in the lead up? I don't really want the race to be the first time I do 21k and for it to be a surprise to the body. Don't want to be tired on race day either from over training too!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »
Is it advisable to do a couple of training runs to 21k and beyond in the lead up? I don't really want the race to be the first time I do 21k and for it to be a surprise to the body. Don't want to be tired on race day either from over training too!

Most training plans for half marathon tend not to have you running more than about 18k as a long run in the run up to the race. There's no reason why you couldn't or shouldn't run the full 21k (or more) beforehand if you want though. It's not like a marathon where you potentially need some time to recover from the full distance and very few people will run a single 42k as part of training. 10 days or 2 weeks of taper should be plenty to prevent you from being tired on race day.

Many people like Hal Higdon's plans - there's a range of different HM ones here http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

FWIW, my half marathon pace is faster than 5 min/km, but I still do most of my training at 6min/km and slower. Consistent running for many weeks and avoiding injury are important and you still make significant aerobic gains from training slowly.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2017, 06:05:24 PM »
Apologies for nerco-ing this thread but I have to share.

I think I went under 25 minutes this morning! Clock on my app said 24:58, but I forgot to press stop on it for about 15 seconds because I was gasping for breath like a wounded donkey at the finish line :D

I think you could take at least 15 seconds off that... so I've probably done a PB by about 45 seconds from my previous best of 25:31.

Happy today :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: October 06, 2017, 09:54:34 PM »
Apologies for nerco-ing this thread but I have to share.

I think I went under 25 minutes this morning! Clock on my app said 24:58, but I forgot to press stop on it for about 15 seconds because I was gasping for breath like a wounded donkey at the finish line :D

I think you could take at least 15 seconds off that... so I've probably done a PB by about 45 seconds from my previous best of 25:31.

Happy today :)

That was ... evocative. :D

Well done, mate.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #177 on: October 14, 2017, 12:22:52 PM »
Got to order my free ParkRun 50 T-shirt today, after passing the milestone a few weeks ago.....onwards to 100 in 2018 :). I really want the black T-shirt.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2017, 11:45:48 PM »
I want one too! I'm only up to 31... so I'll probably hit 50 by mid next year.

Time on that race above was 24:46. On a hillier track yesterday I did 25:25, which was a PB by 37 seconds on that course.

I've been busting my arse for 6 months getting nowhere near PBs and suddenly am taking chunks off them. Must be the extra longer distance runs I'm putting in which is helping keep my speed for the backends of the shorter races.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 11:51:44 PM by marty998 »

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2017, 03:14:10 AM »
Got to order my free ParkRun 50 T-shirt today, after passing the milestone a few weeks ago.....onwards to 100 in 2018 :). I really want the black T-shirt.

Well done! You timed it well, up until about 2 weeks ago, there was quite a backlog on the 50 shirts and people had to wait months to get them.

I'm heading towards 250 some time next summer. I went to a new parkrun near me last week which only has about 150 runners and got a first ever age category win. OK, so it was a couple of minutes off my PB and I was beaten by a friend from an older age group, but I'll take a podium finish :-)

I've been busting my arse for 6 months getting nowhere near PBs and suddenly am taking chunks off them. Must be the extra longer distance runs I'm putting in which is helping keep my speed for the backends of the shorter races.

My best 5k times have always come off the back of months of slow long runs as part of marathon or half marathon training and I know lots of other people for whom that's true.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2017, 08:21:02 AM »

Well done! You timed it well, up until about 2 weeks ago, there was quite a backlog on the 50 shirts and people had to wait months to get them.

I'm heading towards 250 some time next summer. I went to a new parkrun near me last week which only has about 150 runners and got a first ever age category win. OK, so it was a couple of minutes off my PB and I was beaten by a friend from an older age group, but I'll take a podium finish :-)

My best 5k times have always come off the back of months of slow long runs as part of marathon or half marathon training and I know lots of other people for whom that's true.

250 eh? That's impressive. And a lovely colour T-shirt. Good to know I've got lucky timing; I was expecting to wait months as well, but checked after yesterday's run and lo and behold, the link was active. Also got some gels from wiggle (cheapest gel supplier), good timing it all working out together. The phrase "If it's free, you are the product" keeps going round my mind, especially with ParkRun; how is it funded? Is it sustainable?

And my best 5k times always come unexpectedly (i.e. I didn't think I was putting in a lot of effort/going fast) during marathon training as well, if I remember correctly a 5k training plan that goes up to ~10k in long runs really pays dividends.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2017, 08:34:23 AM »
I enjoy sponsoring 5k's through my employer, then I get to run for free!  We get nice and cost-effective advertising by handing our bottled water with the company logo on it.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »
The phrase "If it's free, you are the product" keeps going round my mind, especially with ParkRun; how is it funded? Is it sustainable?

Originally, the free shirts were paid for by adidas sponsorship (and there used to be a free jacket for 100.) Once it got too big, Wiggle/tribesports were funding it in an attempt to promote the wiggle website and build tribesport as a brand (n.b this is only the case in the UK - things are different in other places parkrun operates.) Parkrun kept getting bigger, so the profit on the "apricot" shirts is now used to pay for the free stuff and as of last week, the t-shirt operation is run by parkrun itself. Personally, I'd be happy to pay for the shirts provided they're not plastered with sponsor logos. 

In terms of how the whole thing is funded - it's a not-for-profit company (charities are not allowed to promote a specific sport, oddly enough.) Half of the money to start a parkrun has to be found by the people starting it - usually a local council will be prepared to stump up the necessary £3k. Ongoing costs for individual events once the equipment is paid for are pretty low. Sponsorship from Vitality and all the other people that they push in the weekly email covers the website, servers, staff etc. Insurance is provided through UK Athletics - that's the reason for all the rules about it not being a race, under-11s have to be with an adult etc etc.  Other countries are seed funded from the UK parent but expected to be self sustaining and independent after a while.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2017, 11:45:41 PM »
Thanks Ceratonia :)

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »
If so, what's your age and how fast?

I'm mid-30s and logged a sub 28 the other day.  I swear I ran this under 20 when I was a teenager but I've put on a few pounds since then

I am 38. i ran a 17:04 (i think) less than a year ago.  at that time i was 37 though.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2017, 01:48:12 PM »
I'm 35, personal best on the 5k is 21:06, and on the 10k is about 44:30.

I'm working on a medium-term goal: trying to get to a sub-40 10k before I turn 40. This means cracking 44 minutes before I hit 36, 43 minutes before I hit 37 etc. Thought I was going to do the sub-44 a couple of months ahead of schedule last weekend, but then my shoelace came undone at 6.5k, and I arrived at the 10m of vertical gain in 100m of distance a kilometre later. Came in at 44.39. Still happy with my run, though, and I have a nice flat 10k next month that I'm quietly hopeful for.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
Wow... quick times... something for me to aim for.

I'm going to join a running club next year that holds regular 10k races. Will be a good to have a routine where each week I know I have to train specifically for a race, rather than doing things as-hoc

DrumAllDay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2017, 10:28:02 AM »
Im 25 years old and my PR is 19:45.
This winter I am going to add in strength training two days a week. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press, push-ups, pull-ups, and core.
It should help with injury prevention as well as making me a more well-rounded athlete.
Anyone else have any strength/core recommendations/routines they want to share?

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2017, 10:55:25 AM »
I'm 32, haven't run an official 5k in 2 years. I ran a "personal" 5k for time a few weeks back and clocked in around 23 mins.

Last "official" one I ran, I came in at 22:01 when 30 years old.

I'm trying to get back into running, I fell out of the habit after my daughter was born. My goal is 21 minutes or less for next fall.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #189 on: October 23, 2017, 11:33:02 AM »
Im 25 years old and my PR is 19:45.
This winter I am going to add in strength training two days a week. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press, push-ups, pull-ups, and core.
It should help with injury prevention as well as making me a more well-rounded athlete.
Anyone else have any strength/core recommendations/routines they want to share?

Check out Mark Rippetoe (google/youtube).

That said I have had better luck staying injury free with kettle-bells than barbells; but that is not a problem for lots of people.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2017, 08:13:54 PM »
I'm 22 and I can run 5 KM in around 20-25 minutes depending on how much effort I'm putting in.  Haven't timed myself in months as I stopped running much due to a Night time job.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: May 01, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »
Ran a best on Saturday! 24:32! It was on a 400m track, but 5k is 5k and I'm happy with that.

Have a 10k coming up this Saturday and looking to do another best here (time to beat is a 54:30, which should be doable)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: May 02, 2018, 12:02:38 AM »
Mid-fifties, another parkrun participant. My fastest 5k times are behind me because I've had my best running years and am slowing with age, but I'm hovering around 25 minutes and hope to get a time starting with a 23 before the end of this year.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: May 02, 2018, 12:04:42 AM »
Ran a best on Saturday! 24:32! It was on a 400m track, but 5k is 5k and I'm happy with that.

Have a 10k coming up this Saturday and looking to do another best here (time to beat is a 54:30, which should be doable)

Well done. I've done a mile and some shorter runs on a track with friends, and it's an enjoyable thing to do, never a 5k though. Good luck for the 10k!

The 250-parkrun t-shirt should be mine in another couple of months, although I've volunteered 3 weeks in the last 5 - a new parkrun near to home is still a bit short on regular volunteers.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: May 02, 2018, 06:15:10 AM »

Well done. I've done a mile and some shorter runs on a track with friends, and it's an enjoyable thing to do, never a 5k though. Good luck for the 10k!

The 250-parkrun t-shirt should be mine in another couple of months, although I've volunteered 3 weeks in the last 5 - a new parkrun near to home is still a bit short on regular volunteers.

It was a little funny, there were 30 of us on the track, and an old bloke at the finish line saying "8 to go", "8 to go", "6 to go", 7 to go"....

He started to lose track by the end and we had to count our own 12 & a half laps to be sure, but even without a bell he still managed to say "ding ding ding" when it was one lap remaining :D

I volunteered once last year on the day before I did a HM. Am down to volunteer again in a few weeks time the day before my next HM.

Still a long way behind you, only just over 50 park runs.

Mid-fifties, another parkrun participant. My fastest 5k times are behind me because I've had my best running years and am slowing with age, but I'm hovering around 25 minutes and hope to get a time starting with a 23 before the end of this year.

Keep at it, we've got a mid 60's bloke at my local one that runs mid 22's!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2018, 10:12:48 AM »
Keep at it, we've got a mid 60's bloke at my local one that runs mid 22's!

In my last few parkruns I've been first in my own age group but had at least one FV55-59 finish well ahead of me, and there's a FV60-64 at my local parkrun who beats me every week except when she's back in the sports centre making the post-run tea. I don't expect any easy pickings when I move up an age category next year.

My last mid-22 was almost four years ago. I'm not convinced I can lose 45s/mile off my current speed, but there's only one way I'll find out and it's not by sitting on my butt going, "No, I can't, I'm too old."

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2018, 11:16:53 AM »
Last weekend I did a casual 5k club run, came in 6th over all.  Three of the five in front of me were pushing kids in strollers and the other two were talking the entire way.  Glad I left the ego at home :-)

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2018, 11:38:38 AM »
I ran cross country in high school on a pretty good team (state champs one year) and had a personal best of 17:21 -- but that was .... a very long time ago.  I am getting back into it now, working up to a 5k and aiming for sub-30-minutes time-wise.  Need to find some wider running shoes now, my feet aren't as forgiving as they used to be.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: September 07, 2018, 07:36:19 PM »
Reviving this (again sorry!) I seem to do this everytime I run a PB haha.

Today 23:30! A year ago I was scratching around at 25:30, and a year before that at well over 26.

I ran the first kilometre in 4:20 pace, and simply tried to just hold on from there. Still cannot for the life of me figure out how to do a negative split run, so for now the current strategy will do :D

@cerat0n1a , have you got your 250 Parkrun shirt yet?

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2018, 04:40:52 AM »
@cerat0n1a , have you got your 250 Parkrun shirt yet?

250th will be next week, also my younger son's 100th. Ended up doing quite a few volunteers over the summer. Done much less training (and no races) so far this year, so I'm a couple of minutes off my PB pace currently.

Well done on the PB - seems like you've made a significant improvement in a year.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!