Author Topic: Do you run 5k's?  (Read 57561 times)

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Do you run 5k's?
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2016, 04:29:20 PM »
I prefer mud obstacle 5K's... straight up running just doesn't do it for me. I did the local-ish Rugged Maniac this year in 38:00... the obstacles add about 10 minutes or so.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2016, 05:43:39 PM »
Cool thread. Love seeing everyones running stories. I literally never ran a mile in my life until July 2015. Started running then and have loved it ever since. Kind of a bummer starting so late in life after my physical peak, but oh well, what can you do.

I like the longer distances better, but did run a 5k about 6 months ago at 19:48. 35yrs old, 6'4" 200lbs for reference.

eat_plants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2016, 06:42:22 PM »
59 year old female here.  Generally run a 25-26 minute 5K.  Started running about 4 years ago to get in shape and now I keep at it to stay in shape.  Also, by the way, I'm vegan so all my energy is plant powered.  I highly recommend the couch to 5K program.  Having a little bit of a warm stretch here in Northeast Ohio, so today's morning run was just fantastic. 

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2016, 06:50:08 PM »
My 5k PB is around 28 minutes.
I haven't run in nearly a year. I tried going out at some point in the last year but the impact was too hard on me. Since then, I've been doing a bit of yoga.

Actually, I'm glad to see this thread as running does wonders for my mental health. I am signing up for a 5km race 29 days from today and will get new shoes and gear to go with it.

BiscuitsForBreakfast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2016, 07:45:20 PM »
Necromancing thread!

So last week there was a shout out on our local metro paper to "Parkrun". An organisation that (through volunteers) holds timed 5k running events every Saturday morning in your local area.

I googled, and there is one near me! I have to say it's a great community event. People bring their kids and the dogs and have a bit of fun.

Time goes up on the website results page this afternoon. The course had a few ups and downs so I'm not sure I will break a PB of 24:47 (done on a flat track), but keeping my fingers crossed!

Anyone else participate?

Shout out to ParkRun, though there are only a few organized thus far in the US. There is one by me -- and moustachians should note that it is FREE, in addition to being a great and supportive community-building service, fun, and healthy. (I will also give much love to local running clubs; mine offers cheap-to-free trail races, track events, and social events, as well as a couch-to-5k plan for beginning runners.) I have only gone a few times as I'm trying to build up my mileage, but it's always a good time!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2016, 01:29:08 AM »
Ok time came out.... I am really disappointed with 27:54 :(

Boo.

There were  ramps and small inclines but still, it was a 2 lap course up and back so there was just as much downhill as uphill.

Will have to do better next week.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2016, 02:47:28 AM »
If so, what's your age and how fast?

I'm mid-30s and logged a sub 28 the other day.  I swear I ran this under 20 when I was a teenager but I've put on a few pounds since then

I ran a 17.21 in HS Cross Country (age 17).

But that was 35 years and a lot of pounds ago.

Now, the only way I'm "running" a 5K is on my bike.

I'd probably stop along the way for a slice of pizza.

dividendsplease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2016, 07:04:21 AM »
Former D1 track /XC

PRs
Mile: 4:08
5k:14:40
One 1/2 marathon 1:07
One Ironman 10:03

Haven't run anything in 5 years because of work life balance...could probably click off a 18 right now. 25lbs heavier than in college running 100 mile weeks lol.

21runner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2016, 08:57:25 AM »
My fastest 5k time so far is 17:55. Ultimate goal is to be sub 17:00.

Edit: Forgot to add my age. I'm 25.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:57:41 PM by 21runner »

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2016, 01:19:51 PM »
Necromancing thread!

So last week there was a shout out on our local metro paper to "Parkrun". An organisation that (through volunteers) holds timed 5k running events every Saturday morning in your local area.

I googled, and there is one near me! I have to say it's a great community event. People bring their kids and the dogs and have a bit of fun.

Time goes up on the website results page this afternoon. The course had a few ups and downs so I'm not sure I will break a PB of 24:47 (done on a flat track), but keeping my fingers crossed!

Anyone else participate?

Shout out to ParkRun, though there are only a few organized thus far in the US. There is one by me -- and moustachians should note that it is FREE, in addition to being a great and supportive community-building service, fun, and healthy. (I will also give much love to local running clubs; mine offers cheap-to-free trail races, track events, and social events, as well as a couch-to-5k plan for beginning runners.) I have only gone a few times as I'm trying to build up my mileage, but it's always a good time!

parkrun is big here in Britain, approaching 100 000 people do it on any given Saturday, something like 2 million people registered. I run or volunteer with my teenage sons at our local parkrun most weeks.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2016, 12:57:16 AM »
Ran a a 5k on the way home today, then ran 4 more mile to actually finish getting home (7.3 total).  Took 1:30, thanks to all the traffic lights.  Fivefingers have worked well for about 5 years, and all the biking has really been excellent since I don't seem to be able to handle enough running to build up by just running.  Biking has not been lowering my weight (5'9" and 215 lbs, ugh).  Bike commuting has been a blast, but this was a whole other kind of fun/crazy.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2016, 02:05:34 AM »
Necromancing thread!

Anyone else participate?

I've been parkrunning (lower case... ;) ) for several years now, and had a brief stint as an RD until work got in the way.

I'm a big fan, anything that gets people out and about regularly is a good thing IMO. I'm not sure why the US has never taken to it though, is it something to do with public liability and the litigious nature of society there? I'm a QLDer and we have more parkruns up here than any state in Australia - yes, even NSW - 63 vs 49 at last count. But there are only something like 5 in the entire US.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:08:19 AM by Primm »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2016, 04:41:23 AM »
Necromancing thread!

Anyone else participate?

I've been parkrunning (lower case... ;) ) for several years now, and had a brief stint as an RD until work got in the way.

I'm a big fan, anything that gets people out and about regularly is a good thing IMO. I'm not sure why the US has never taken to it though, is it something to do with public liability and the litigious nature of society there? I'm a QLDer and we have more parkruns up here than any state in Australia - yes, even NSW - 63 vs 49 at last count. But there are only something like 5 in the entire US.

Mmm.. that is strange. I'm sure it will take off soon enough. Until someone gets run over by an SUV that can't find a parking spot as close as possible to the start line :D

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2016, 10:30:21 AM »
Ran my first 5K a few weeks back. 39 minutes. Pretty pathetic, but I've been jogging since and I'll get better.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2016, 01:55:46 PM »
Former D1 track /XC

PRs
Mile: 4:08
5k:14:40
One 1/2 marathon 1:07
One Ironman 10:03

Haven't run anything in 5 years because of work life balance...could probably click off a 18 right now. 25lbs heavier than in college running 100 mile weeks lol.

Awesome to see another college runner here! You sound about like me.  My PR's are a little slower than yours and am now getting back into running again after stopping for 7 years and gaining 30 lbs because of work.  Hopefully you aren't like me and can still go out and run an 18.  I started running again about a month ago. Luckily the fitness is coming back quickly as I keep running consistently.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:34:28 AM by Proud Foot »

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2016, 10:18:41 PM »
Wow, some of you guys are fast!

I ran a 18:47 5K when I timed myself (I don't race).  I typically use Jack Daniel's blue training plan for my running, and some navy seals BUDS plan for gym workouts and flexibility.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 03:10:22 AM by Dexterous »

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2016, 01:31:47 PM »
My PR is 20:52, couldn't run that now.  I need to get back into racing again.  I should still be able to pull a sub 24 for sure likely a sub 23.  I prefer longer races.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2016, 05:34:44 PM »
Ran my first 5k event today in 27:12. It was extremely crowded and I was far back in the crowd. The first mile took 12:42, the last two miles roughly 15 minutes total. I was 17/282 in my age group, which I think is good. I was passing people pretty rapidly once I got out of the mob of walkers.

Just started running a few months ago in order to do a a triathalon. I've had a few runs averaging 7 minute miles but I don't train enough or quite right to hit that consistently. I hope to work on that, mainly with the goal of doing more triathalons. I am palling to sign up for a 5k each month over the winter because I don't enjoy running and the events keep me motivated.

Mark331

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2016, 11:56:03 PM »

I'm mid-30s and logged a sub 28 the other day.  I swear I ran this under 20 when I was a teenager but I've put on a few pounds since then
Dont you feel like running is a wasteful use of energy and time when you could be something else like making money at a second job to retire faster ?

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2016, 07:13:48 PM »
Running and staying in shape will literally add time to your life. I wouldn't say that's a waste of energy at all.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2016, 08:08:10 AM »

Dont you feel like running is a wasteful use of energy and time when you could be something else like making money at a second job to retire faster ?

What a ridiculous comment. Taking care of your physical/mental health is in and of itself rewarding. I could work a second job as well but I find riding bikes with my daughter to be more enjoyable and life fulfilling.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2016, 04:52:40 PM »
Got a flat on my bike on the way it today.  Left the bike tools in the trailer from getting groceries on Saturday, and the weather was so awful that I was the only one in the office to ride in.  So I am running the 11.7 km home instead.  Should take about 1.5 hours thanks to red lights and my slow ~10min/mi pace.

Fun stuff.

Edit:  1:17 including all those pesky traffic lights.  Better than last time.  Can't wait for next years Hood to Coast run!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:26:01 PM by moof »

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2016, 08:30:52 PM »

Dont you feel like running is a wasteful use of energy and time when you could be kisomething else like making money at a second job to retire faster ?

I can't think of any workouts, runs, hikes, backpacking trips, or rock climbing trips I regret doing or think were a waste of time.  That's living!

Might as well say that having breakfast with my kid is a waste of time, but that is what I live for as well.  Getting married delayed retirement by several years as well, so what?  No regrets there either.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:35:22 PM by moof »

Mark331

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2016, 10:16:20 PM »

What a ridiculous comment. Taking care of your physical/mental health is in and of itself rewarding. I could work a second job as well but I find riding bikes with my daughter to be more enjoyable and life fulfilling.
Are you retired ?

Mark331

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2016, 10:22:39 PM »

Dont you feel like running is a wasteful use of energy and time when you could be kisomething else like making money at a second job to retire faster ?

I can't think of any workouts, runs, hikes, backpacking trips, or rock climbing trips I regret doing or think were a waste of time.  That's living!

Might as well say that having breakfast with my kid is a waste of time, but that is what I live for as well.  Getting married delayed retirement by several years as well, so what?  No regrets there either.
Well 1st of all breakfast is not good for you, because it makes the majority of people fat. Dont believe what your government and the TV has told you about eating breakfast. Also delaying retirement means that your probably not a true mustachian I hate to tell ya. The whole purpose of this blog is early retirement through badassity. Not prolonging retirement. Maybe your at the wrong Blog.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2016, 06:47:51 AM »
Guys, stop feeding the trolls. 

5k training: How many of you use a heart-rate monitor and plain workouts around them?  I really like using mine and think it gives the best feedback about where my body is. 

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2016, 06:49:08 AM »
Well 1st of all breakfast is not good for you, because it makes the majority of people fat. Dont believe what your government and the TV has told you about eating breakfast. Also delaying retirement means that your probably not a true mustachian I hate to tell ya. The whole purpose of this blog is early retirement through badassity. Not prolonging retirement. Maybe your at the wrong Blog.

lol. Shouldn't you be working at your second job so you can retire early rather than wasting time trolling people on the internet?

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: October 18, 2016, 07:21:51 AM »
Another UK parkrunner here, I've also just been accepted for the London marathon next year :)

Best times
1k - 4:02
5k - 22:15
10k - 48:37
Half marathon - 2:01:30

I only started running earlier this year, I'm aiming for a 3:45 in the marathon (2017)

On a related note I also entered a running challenge for October. 
The challenge is to run every day in October, at least 1 mile per day every day.

It's day 18 today and I'm learning a lot about my body and how it works, it has been really beneficial.
My cadence is much better now, my endurance is increasing and my heartrate is much lower at the same speeds.

I've covered 66 miles so far in the challenge.
I broke my 10km PB (previously 54 minutes)
and I nearly broke my 5k PB but I dropped my phone and had to go back 200m for it when I realised (even with that delay I only missed the PB by 30 seconds, so I will beat it soon).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:29:46 AM by UKMustache »

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: October 18, 2016, 11:24:44 AM »

5k training: How many of you use a heart-rate monitor and plain workouts around them?  I really like using mine and think it gives the best feedback about where my body is.
Never bothered.  I tend to track my resting heart rate as a better indicator.  Low 60's is is my slovenly rate with only occasional excercise.  Low 50's is when I have been doing a good job with regular workouts.  Mid 40's is when I have been getting my bad-ass training in for something major (bigwall climbing, lots of backpacking, etc).  All time low was 43 bpm in my 20's.  Currently I have it down to 48 bpm.

In years past when I went to the gym and used the excercise bikes or stairmasters with monitors I saw a nice correlation.  If I was in the 60's resting I could hit 150 bpm and feel close to maxed out at a very low setting.  By time I had my resting down to low 50's it was very hard to get up to get past 140 without the legs maxing out first, and most workouts were thermally limited more than cardio limited (why are gyms so warm even in winter?!).  I would use 150 as my target and hold my heart rate there for the entire workout if I could to avoid overdoing it, but to avoid cheating.

These days I hate those machines and just ride my real bike and run.  I ride at whatever speed I feel like that day, and run at the same crappy 10 min/mi pace no matter what, just for longer distances.  I have gradually gone from have to work up to 3 mile runs to being able to do 4.5 mile runs off the couch  after a winter thanks to the steady bike riding.

This summer I went from zero running (well, occasional ultimate Frisbee) to running 6.5 miles in 6 weeks and then doing Hood to Coast which was 6.8, 5.3, and 5.2 mile runs as part of a relay team within just over 24 hours (grand fun).  I kept things up and now I have been able to run the 7.5 miles home twice in the last 2 weeks without anything more than tired muscles the next day.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2016, 11:43:54 AM »

During training, I don't use one all of the time, mostly just enough to set baselines. Then, I refer back to those during races to determine the pace I should be running. For example, I know anything above 170 is going to wipe me out in short order and anything below 150 I can maintain forever. I trail run usually so a HR monitor really helps keep me under control on the climbs.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:45:56 AM by Fireball »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2016, 10:23:37 PM »
10k's are my preferred distance these days - 52 minutes is about average for me. My fitness level is probably at its peak right now and I'm curious what kind of 5k time I could post. I'm heading down to Mexico soon and I'm going to give it a try there - once I've adjusted to the heat. It is just a question of how far below 25 minutes I can be. Need my wonky Achilles to hold up for one thing...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:29:32 PM by Jon_Snow »

Tradies wife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2016, 06:28:16 AM »
I'm 20 weeks pregnant with #4.

I run :) Not as fast as I used to, but I run. I'm running for two! LOL. Last 5km was 5 days ago. I ran walked it. 45minutes, something. I'm no longer motivated by the clock, but happy to do what I can while I can. Running while pregnant is hard work. I won't post my pre pregnancy times, it's depressing but I am looking forward to get back to that point.

While in the MMM Mood- How awesome is parkrun! A free 5km all inclusive timed event all over the world. Now that kind of awesomeness has got to be up MMM's alley.. what do you think?

(Disclaimer: for all the "You can't run while pregnant" & naysayers, my obstetrician has cleared me to run right up to 40 weeks. Apparently healthy fit mums are less of a medical concern compared to those that sit on their backsides and eat all day. Who would have guessed...LOL)

jeeebus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2016, 08:04:29 AM »
I'm from the UK where parkruns are very popular. I run pretty much every Saturday. Sometimes I run as quickly as I can, other times I run a bit slower and chat to others. My PB is 25:07 although I don't take it too seriously, I always start at the back of the crowd. It's a good social event though, and it's free so it must be Mustachian.

Fearthebait

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2016, 05:00:22 AM »
18:59 is my best 5k time, currently age 26. 5k's are very helpful for my FIRE plans because a lot of free ones still hand out T-Shirts which means I never spend money on shirts. I have gotten about 18 free T-Shirts running these in the last 9 months.

I do prefer Tough Mudders/Spartan Races over 5k's though. I like the distance and obstacle challenges over just straight running.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2016, 09:09:17 PM »

No, I don't ever use a heart-rate monitor.  I've calculated my training paces using some charts in jack daniels running plan book.  It uses your current best speeds (the longer the event the better) to calculate training paces, and the math seems perfect.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2016, 04:08:56 AM »
I do, running bores the absolute crap out of me though.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2016, 04:48:47 AM »
Ok. Saturday's time is 26:16. Slightly easier course this time (no hills, and fewer u-turns).

Heading in the right direction :D

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2016, 04:39:30 AM »
Ok... so did better this time (27:15) on the course I previously did 27:54 on a few weeks back.

I have a feeling 5 extra kilos are weighing me down. Lost 2kg this week by eliminating the snacks and getting out moving more.

I really want to get under 25 on this course, which would mean ~23-24 on a flat one.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2016, 04:58:16 AM »
Nice trend you've got there, marty. Couple of years since my parkrun PB was set, although I've taken a bit off both my 1 mile and marathon times this year.

It's generally accepted that 1kg weight loss results in about a 4s per km gain, i.e. 20s for a parkrun. Of course, that assumes that the weight loss was not associated with negative effects (e.g. loss of muscle, lack of glycogen stores, dehydration etc.) The exact figure will depend on how much you weighed to start with (1kg loss is bigger for someone who is 50kg than 150kg...) and your speed (bigger effect for slower runners.)

You can find online calculators for this kind of thing, but the main message is - if you've got weight to lose, you'll definitely get better running performances by losing the weight.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2016, 08:37:19 AM »
I've been doing a 5k every morning while I'm here in Baja. I'm averaging right around 25 minutes. There is a real issue with topography (and heat!) that may prevent me from trying to go for a great time. It seems that killer hills cannot be avoided, and due to a past Achilles injury I do not want to risk any uphill sprints.

This is what I'm dealing with. Great for fitness improvement...not for posting a time.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2016, 06:23:36 AM »
Ok... so did better this time (27:15) on the course I previously did 27:54 on a few weeks back.

I have a feeling 5 extra kilos are weighing me down. Lost 2kg this week by eliminating the snacks and getting out moving more.

I really want to get under 25 on this course, which would mean ~23-24 on a flat one.

8/10: 27:54
29/10: 27:15
5/11: 26:29

Erased half the 3 minute gap to 25min, so just need to find another 90 seconds now.

I tried going a bit harder up the hills this week. You feel more tired obviously, but because you end up running for less time it's actually less exhausting!

Bit counterintuitive in that regard.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2016, 04:48:04 PM »
St Peters? My local course has a bit of a hill as well, I always go further afield if I want to feel speedy.

Roundabouts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2016, 12:35:28 PM »
Great to see so many other runners here!  I'm recovering from a hamstring injury, am running about 30m for 5km (faster on a treadmill, but that's flat!), and am hoping to hit 25m soon, which is where I used to be, and hopefully start knocking off a bit of time after that too.  I'm definitely lighter than when I used to run 25m, so hopefully it should be possible.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2016, 07:03:14 AM »
I ran a half marathon PB at weekend and this seems a good place to post it :)

New PB is 1:56:53 - It was a very hilly course (350+ metres of elevation gain) so I'm really pleased with my time!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2016, 09:38:34 AM »
Good effort UKMustache. Do I remember correctly that you'd got a London Marathon spot? FWIW I reckon you need about 1:40-1:45 HM time to be targeting sub 4 hours in a marathon.

Seems to have been a weekend for PBs. I (unexpectedly) took 25s off my 3 year old 10k best time on Sunday, bit under 47 minutes on a flat (but exposed to the wind) course. Didn't feel like I had pushed all that hard in doing it either.

Big local HM is on the 20th of November, so I may go for a full effort parkrun on the 19th, as all the good runners will be taking it easy. My PB is 21 minutes and some, don't think that is likely to be beaten, but it would be nice to get close, haven't been below 22 minutes since 2014.

I'm always slightly conscious that posting exact race times on here makes it possible for someone to find your real name. Not sure why they would though.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2016, 12:26:12 PM »
Good effort UKMustache. Do I remember correctly that you'd got a London Marathon spot? FWIW I reckon you need about 1:40-1:45 HM time to be targeting sub 4 hours in a marathon.

Seems to have been a weekend for PBs. I (unexpectedly) took 25s off my 3 year old 10k best time on Sunday, bit under 47 minutes on a flat (but exposed to the wind) course. Didn't feel like I had pushed all that hard in doing it either.

Big local HM is on the 20th of November, so I may go for a full effort parkrun on the 19th, as all the good runners will be taking it easy. My PB is 21 minutes and some, don't think that is likely to be beaten, but it would be nice to get close, haven't been below 22 minutes since 2014.

I'm always slightly conscious that posting exact race times on here makes it possible for someone to find your real name. Not sure why they would though.

Well done on the PB!  Sometimes everything just goes well and you feel good running quick, it's funny how that happens.

Yeah you remembered correctly :)

I'm quietly confident that I'll managed a sub 4. 
I've not started training yet and that was the first HM I've done in a long time so I was really just sounding my body out. I also think the elevation where I'm training (Peak District, clue is in the name) should give me an advantage as London is almost entirely flat, or that's the theory anyway.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2016, 12:53:22 PM »
Oooh a running thread!

My 5k PR is around 25 minutes (40yr old F). My half mary PR is 1:57 and change. Not too bad for a person who always played team sports and didn't really start running til their 30's. I am actually getting faster with age, which is abnormal, but it helps to start with nothing. :p

I'm training for a half mary in 2.5 weeks, and my first full in April.

Mostly I'm a triathlete but I find running keeps me the fittest and other than open water swimming, it's my next favorite training exercise.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »
St Peters? My local course has a bit of a hill as well, I always go further afield if I want to feel speedy.

Not St Peters... that one I've heard has quite a ramp in it! I think Sydney Park there is being demolished for WestConnex so they'll have to find a new one soon enough.

I saw there is one at Bulli...but it's a bit of a trek to get to and the train timetable doesn't quite work perfectly.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2016, 02:30:14 PM »

I've not started training yet and that was the first HM I've done in a long time so I was really just sounding my body out. I also think the elevation where I'm training (Peak District, clue is in the name) should give me an advantage as London is almost entirely flat, or that's the theory anyway.

I guess you have nearly six months to train for London. I'm sure you're right about the benefits of a bit of hill training; not so much scope for that round Cambridge.  Have done a couple of runs in the peak district this year, but as they were along Monsal trail, Tissington trail & Manifold trail, none of them really count as hilly.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 08:32:01 AM by cerat0n1a »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2016, 02:04:56 AM »
Posting to follow.