Author Topic: Do we like the NFL in this forum?  (Read 11419 times)

in2themild

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Taking a year off at 29 to travel the country
    • in2themild
Do we like the NFL in this forum?
« on: September 20, 2013, 08:54:18 AM »
Although it is at odds with my typical proto-Mustachian personality, I have not been able to shake my addiction to the NFL until this year, where I literally sold my house, moved into a truck camper, and physically have no way to watch the games.  This was an intellectual decision, but I will not pretend that emotionally I do not miss my previously indulgent Sundays.  So far I have missed just two NFL Sundays, but the first one was spent hiking in the Grand Tetons and the second seeing Old Faithfull and grizzly bears play in Yellowstone.  I will say that was a good tradeoff to the alternative of sitting on my ass to have crap I don't need marketed at me for 11 hours.

I wrote about my thoughts on it here: http://in2themild.blogspot.com/2013/09/im-sorry-tom-brady-its-not-you-its-me.html

And for anyone who has been following my in2themild exploits, here is a recent TPS report http://in2themild.blogspot.com/2013/09/its-just-that-your-july-tps-report-is.html

Any NFL fans here?  Feel guilty about it?  Or view it as an affordable indulgent?  Go Pats?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Do we like the NFL in this forum?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:32:04 AM »
Some of us.  Ongoing NFL discussion thread here.

Go Hawks!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:47:40 AM »
I'm a southerner, so no one cares about the NFL down here unless you go to Louisiana, in which case the Saints are huge. I'm from Georgia and grew up a big college football fan, but I have noticed a definite trend: as my mustache grows longer, I find it harder to give a rat's ass about any game that doesn't involve my alma mater. I still enjoy watching my 'Dawgs on Saturday - but usually only if it's a big game, because I have to go to a friend's house to watch, since I haven't had TV for 5 years.

wannabfrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:08:09 AM »
I enjoy football, partially for the sake of the game, but mostly for the camaraderie as I a large part of my social circle gets together almost every weekend to watch at least one game.  Plus fantasy football gives me something to cheer for or against about nearly every game.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »
I'm a southerner, so no one cares about the NFL down here unless you go to Louisiana, in which case the Saints are huge. I'm from Georgia and grew up a big college football fan, but I have noticed a definite trend: as my mustache grows longer, I find it harder to give a rat's ass about any game that doesn't involve my alma mater. I still enjoy watching my 'Dawgs on Saturday - but usually only if it's a big game, because I have to go to a friend's house to watch, since I haven't had TV for 5 years.

Pretty much spot on, except you forgot about LSU. :)

I never was into football, and almost everyone I know is hugely into it. Makes things awkward, I usually just feign ignorance and excuse myself from the convo. There are guys I work with who travel to go to games... who own RV's specifically to go to away games.

Meh.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 01:06:32 PM »
I pretty much only care about my alma mater's team, and truthfully, even that is only a mild interest. Now, if I go to a game, I get caught up in it and cheer and scream and have a great time. I find watching games on tv to be fairly boring.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »
I was a HUGE football (especially NFL, only was a moderate college ball fan) in my younger years.  As I've watched the NFL continue to expand I've gotten more and more annoyed.  To the point where I won't watch football at anymore because they seem like such a corrupt, greedy organization (I feel the same way about the NCAA now as well, so college ball is completely out too).

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »
I don't give a hoot about the NFL.  Too much testosterone.  Too many players who probably ought to be behind bars.  WAY too much money.  WAY too much emphasis on alcohol (for the fans).  You couldn't pay me enough to watch all the commercials during a broadcast and you certainly couldn't pay me to actually go to a game.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »
I like the NFL alright, mostly just watch the Steelers, but I love college football.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »
Yes!  Go Seahawks!!  We watch on TV.  Buying tickets are way too expensive.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 07:19:13 PM »
NFL Football and Fantasy Football can be completely Mustachian.  Most games appear on broadcast, not cable, TV.  Fantasy Football is usually free as well.  It's not everyone's cup of tea, but so what?  If you like it you like it and you don't have to spend money on it to appreciate it.

Dropping thousands of dollars on season tickets and $9 beers?  Nah, you can have that.  I'll watch from the comfort of my living room.  Unless of course the Skins drop their third straight tomorrow.  Then I'll be spending my Sundays more productively.... ;-)

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »
Nope.  Never have understood what some people get from watching other people play a sport.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 05:57:19 AM »
I never used to get the appeal (grew up in NC where no one really cares about football except that one year the Panthers went to the Super Bowl) but my husband was always a HUGE football/ Redskins fan. Sometimes to give him a chuckle I would read some sports article or listen to sports radio for a bit and ask him some really specific football question and pretend like I knew something about it.  Just as a joke.  Over time though, I somehow started reading/listening/watching more and more about football and I really developed a legitimate interest.   Once you have some basic knowledge of the players and coaches and which teams are good and which teams are bad, it's pretty fun to follow the personal dramas and rivalries and all that.  And then the games are more fun to watch too. 

We watch on TV except going to one game per year at fedex field because my husbands mom always gets him tickets to his game of choice for his birthday from a friend who has season tickets in the front row. We don't buy drinks or anything so it is awesome!  :D This year I gave the axe to Sunday ticket and I'm trying to figure out how we could cut cable and not miss any redskins games.  My husband can't stand to miss a single second of anything to do with the redskins, including draft and preseason, and since it's really his only luxury at this point, until we find a good way around it, we may be stuck with cable just for the football.  We're getting a roommate, so at the very least we will be able to shave 1/2 the cost of cable off our budget when the roommate moves in.

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
I was in the south on a work trip and managed to see the lay auburn game and tailgate festivities.  Looked like a really neat social event that could cost as little or as much as you wanted.  Being from Vancouver bc no fun city I was happily shocked with the abundance of free parking and that you could buy cheap beer at the gas station and drink it in public.  Honestly the most fun friendly people were the ones parked for free beside the railway tracks.

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 08:58:13 AM »
I actually love watching NFL games, despite all their issues, especially since every local game is always on broadcast TV.  Of course, I'm a Bears fan in Packers territory so about half the time I can only hope to watch the Pack lose...

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 11:32:33 AM »
I love the NFL (and yes Go Pats!). My husband and I both play fantasy football, and watch every game they air each week. This would probably be the single reason why we have not given up cable yet. We don't go to games anymore except for when we get free tickets (usually once or twice per season), and even then, we don't have to pay to park, and we only buy 1-2 beers inside.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 11:49:46 AM »
I am a fan, but don't need to watch the game -- except for my fantasy football leagues.. Yes, leagues. I'm in three of them.  And I will spare the amount that I spend on them.  But let's say I have finished with a net of even for 3 of the 5 years I have been in it.. Yes, that means I've lost more than I've won.

My wife is more into watching than I am.  My sport that I would rather not give up is hockey.

That is part of the reason we still have cable.

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
I quit playing fantasy football and betting on games a few years ago.  Since then, my interest in the NFL has dropped to near zero.  It's basically 15 minutes of action spread out over 3+ hours of time.  BO-RING!

I never could stand college football.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 03:27:34 PM »
Watching sports is the only reason I haven't been able to give up cable yet. I'm a chiefs fan (I know I know). I don't know what it is but I get really into the games (I'm talking my face three inches from the tv). Last year dad a and I got season tickets to Kansas state football and it was so much fun. We would all pile in the car with a grill, some hot dogs, and a cooler full of beverages and head up to tailgate. I know it cost money but we have so much fun and make it as cheap as possible. This year we are doing the same thing. Go cats

The Bearded Bank Builder

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »
Dropping thousands of dollars on season tickets and $9 beers?  Nah, you can have that.  I'll watch from the comfort of my living room.  Unless of course the Skins drop their third straight tomorrow.  Then I'll be spending my Sundays more productively.... ;-)

Guess next Sunday will be productive then? Lol, I feel your pain, my niners are looking like crap.

I love watching football, especially NFL, but I watch it for free with rabbit-ear antennae.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 10:28:39 PM »
There's another isssue with televised football (and I think some other sports), at least from the bits I've caught at friends' houses &c.  That's the video... I don't know what the right word is, maybe trickery?  Anyway, the way they do quick cuts all over the place, bring up spinning or zooming inset images, and so on.  Honestly, I think if I had to watch it for long, it'd bring on an attack of vertigo.

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 09:14:19 AM »
I don't care for any spectator sport. I completely understand and support someone who personally plays one fro fitness, socialization and competition. But I just don't get the attraction of watching professionals, who are paid like royalty for playing as a career and are really not much more than exceptionally physically fit actors. But I'm not a fan of anything that turns the masses into passive herds while the machine bleeds them of their cash through cable subscriptions, fan gear and event tickets. What a racket. People are even excited to offer these organizations free advertizing on their cars, lunchboxes and persons.
And my husband is one of them. :/

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
I don't care for any spectator sport. I completely understand and support someone who personally plays one fro fitness, socialization and competition. But I just don't get the attraction of watching professionals, who are paid like royalty for playing as a career and are really not much more than exceptionally physically fit actors. But I'm not a fan of anything that turns the masses into passive herds while the machine bleeds them of their cash through cable subscriptions, fan gear and event tickets. What a racket. People are even excited to offer these organizations free advertizing on their cars, lunchboxes and persons.
And my husband is one of them. :/

People who think sports are just the physical aspect are missing a large chunk of the game. 

If you watch Peyton Manning or Tom Brady play QB, then you would know how much mental aspect it takes.  These guys don't just have the physical capabilities to thread a football between two defenders into another players hands, they are masterful at manipulating the defenses they face.

Then there is hockey -  such strategy is involved.

I could go on, but the point is - these pros are at the top of the game and the best in the world at what they do.  And what they do is entertain and compete.  Competitions have been around since the days of old.  And then there are the Olympics..

Lans Holman

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »
Regardless of what you think of the sport, the players, or its effect on your personal finances, holy crap are the owners a bunch of gangster extortionists:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/how-the-nfl-fleeces-taxpayers/309448/

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 11:24:02 AM »
Regardless of what you think of the sport, the players, or its effect on your personal finances, holy crap are the owners a bunch of gangster extortionists:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/how-the-nfl-fleeces-taxpayers/309448/

Trust me, it is not as clear cut as that.  The amount revenue brought into the states (via taxes at games, income taxes on players, real estate taxes by players living in those states, sales tax on items at games, employees income tax) more than makes up for it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
Hive mind say: GO SPORTS!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:28:56 AM by dragoncar »

Lans Holman

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 11:42:20 AM »

Trust me, it is not as clear cut as that.  The amount revenue brought into the states (via taxes at games, income taxes on players, real estate taxes by players living in those states, sales tax on items at games, employees income tax) more than makes up for it.

But all those things would still happen even if we weren't subsidizing the stadiums and giving the league nonprofit status.  It would be a fantastically profitable business (and generate all those benefits) even without all the subsidies.  On top of that they've decided to pursue this strategy (made possible by the antitrust exemption) of playing every city off each other for who is willing to spend the most public money on the stadiums.  That's what I see as extortion.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
People who think sports are just the physical aspect are missing a large chunk of the game.

But I think you're missing the point.  Sure, if I played football (or any other sport) myself, I would want to watch really good players, so that I could learn from them and improve my own playing.  But what percent of football fans will ever play the game themselves?  Maybe 0.001%

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »

But all those things would still happen even if we weren't subsidizing the stadiums and giving the league nonprofit status.  It would be a fantastically profitable business (and generate all those benefits) even without all the subsidies.  On top of that they've decided to pursue this strategy (made possible by the antitrust exemption) of playing every city off each other for who is willing to spend the most public money on the stadiums.  That's what I see as extortion.

Yes they would be happening.. but someone somewhere would give the owners a deal on taxes to bring in that money.  very few places that owners want to be will not cut them a break to keep them there.  It happens with all sorts of businesses.  Look at some of the cities and see what deals large corporations get to build office buildings.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »

But I think you're missing the point.  Sure, if I played football (or any other sport) myself, I would want to watch really good players, so that I could learn from them and improve my own playing.  But what percent of football fans will ever play the game themselves?  Maybe 0.001%

Huh?  I don't play.  I still find the strategy amazing and learn the games that I enjoy watching.  It's just that it is faster action then watching a chess match. Except Basketball never interested me because it seems to be more physical than mental - at least in the NBA.

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
I love watching it but am sorely disappointed in Sunday Ticket online, which will likely reduce my watching which will in turn probably turn me off to the league over time.

I tried to watch the Ravens/Texans game on Sunday with my Sunday ticket promo

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/cutting-cable-nfl-sunday-ticket-for-~$70/msg131315/#msg131315

but the audio was about 15 seconds ahead of the video so I hear about the play, saw some choppy video, missed the action, then it froze.  I called tech support and it was completely worthless.  The problem occured on mobile devices and regular computers so I'm pretty sure it's on their end also, which almost makes it worse.

badamsa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 06:26:22 PM »
Do we like the NFL in this forum?

Yes, yes we do.

My wife and I are both born and raised Eagles fans. Living in Cowboys/Texans country makes it tricky to watch games. Our apartment provides free cable so that helps on occasion. We also have a fantasy football team together. Yeah. She's awesome.

Sports aren't for everyone and that's cool.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »
Watching sports is the only reason I haven't been able to give up cable yet. I'm a chiefs fan (I know I know). I don't know what it is but I get really into the games (I'm talking my face three inches from the tv). Last year dad a and I got season tickets to Kansas state football and it was so much fun. We would all pile in the car with a grill, some hot dogs, and a cooler full of beverages and head up to tailgate. I know it cost money but we have so much fun and make it as cheap as possible. This year we are doing the same thing. Go cats

Chiefs fan in Philly here.  Gotta love us right now.  Just run JC a little bit more in the first half Andy. Thanks.

in2themild

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Taking a year off at 29 to travel the country
    • in2themild
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 11:23:49 PM »
Nice discussion here!  Just finished my first ever NFL Sunday of the season (due to the road trip) and the first ever on the left coast.  Football at 10AM?  And the late game over by 8:30?  Oh hell yes.  And the Pats won?  I'll take all of this happily.  If I lived in this time zone I would spend even more of my life watching this sport.

However, this looks to be my only full NFL Sunday for the foreseeable future...we opted to get a motel room for the weekend to take a break from the road and some truly wretched Seattle area weather - hurricane force winds and 40 degree temps?  Neat.  Oh, and it is the girl's birthday and all she wanted was a true bedroom to sleep in.  All in all a good investment for a weekend full of sloth and gluttony and catching up on this strange guilty pleasure.

Ashcons

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »
Yes and no. I can't deny enjoying watching, but at the same time, I feel guilty knowing there's so much more productive (and enjoyable) stuff I could be doing.

(that is, if I go somewhere with a TV since ours is only hooked up to Netflix streaming and the BR player)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:58:39 PM by DebtStubble »

DebtDerp

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 01:11:13 PM »
Nice discussion here!  Just finished my first ever NFL Sunday of the season (due to the road trip) and the first ever on the left coast.  Football at 10AM?  And the late game over by 8:30?  Oh hell yes.  And the Pats won?  I'll take all of this happily.  If I lived in this time zone I would spend even more of my life watching this sport.

However, this looks to be my only full NFL Sunday for the foreseeable future...we opted to get a motel room for the weekend to take a break from the road and some truly wretched Seattle area weather - hurricane force winds and 40 degree temps?  Neat.  Oh, and it is the girl's birthday and all she wanted was a true bedroom to sleep in.  All in all a good investment for a weekend full of sloth and gluttony and catching up on this strange guilty pleasure.

This is the main reason I could never live on the East Coast. It's a wonder that you guys ever get any sleep at all. I know it's a fluke, but the Raiders v Chargers game starts at 11:35 pm (ET) this Sunday! Left Coast, Best Coast :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 08:25:12 PM »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HoneyBadger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 08:38:34 PM »
I don't follow the game that much, but I like this guy - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/26/mazda-is-refurbishing-the-alfred-morris-1991-mazda/

He makes me look positively spendy with my 2003!

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 08:43:48 PM »
We're NBA fans over here (OKC Thunder). After living without cable for over 15 years, we got it a couple of years ago so that we could watch games, and haven't regretted the decision. It's my main hobby for six months of the year, which may sound pathetic, but meh.

I have to go to Oklahoma City for work on a fairly regular basis, and try to sneak in a game when I do. Pretty much some of the most fun ever.

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 08:56:11 PM »
I don't care for any spectator sport. I completely understand and support someone who personally plays one fro fitness, socialization and competition.

Agreed.

However, I do watch the Olympics and was surprised how fascinating the women's biathlon was to watch knowing how much XC skiing can raise the heart rate and then having to concentrate on shooting targets.