Author Topic: DIY windshield repair and forget Safelite!  (Read 3989 times)

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
DIY windshield repair and forget Safelite!
« on: November 26, 2019, 07:23:18 PM »
The Permatex windshield repair kit is just as good and a fraction of the price of repair service from Safelite.  A rock damaged my windshield and left a star-damage pattern.  I called Safelite, and they quoted me $140 to send a tech to my location and fix the damage.  Fortunately, I wandered into my local neighborhood Ace Hardware and stumbled on the Permatex kit while browsing the automotive section.  I bought the kit and watched a YouTube video before going through the steps to repair the damage on my windshield.  I spent a little over an hour doing the repair, and the results were just as good as if done by a Safelite tech.  The Permatex kit cost me $15.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Re: DIY windshield repair and forget Safelite!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:02:57 AM »
That is a very useful thing to know! I will file that away for the next time I need it.

whereareweallgoing?

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 11:58:16 AM »
I don't even use the mechanism/contraption anymore.  I just put a dab of the UV curing resin on the crack and a piece of the clear plastic and let it cure.  Then razor blade off the excess once it's cured.  And if you have a crack thats starting to spread a little, I drill a small hole about 1.5mm right at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading.  You can buy little bits to do this for a dremel/rotary tool.  Great way to save money on windshields!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 03:48:46 AM »
I don't even use the mechanism/contraption anymore.  I just put a dab of the UV curing resin on the crack and a piece of the clear plastic and let it cure.  Then razor blade off the excess once it's cured.  And if you have a crack thats starting to spread a little, I drill a small hole about 1.5mm right at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading.  You can buy little bits to do this for a dremel/rotary tool.  Great way to save money on windshields!
The Permatex windshield repair kit is just as good and a fraction of the price of repair service from Safelite.  A rock damaged my windshield and left a star-damage pattern.  I called Safelite, and they quoted me $140 to send a tech to my location and fix the damage.  Fortunately, I wandered into my local neighborhood Ace Hardware and stumbled on the Permatex kit while browsing the automotive section.  I bought the kit and watched a YouTube video before going through the steps to repair the damage on my windshield.  I spent a little over an hour doing the repair, and the results were just as good as if done by a Safelite tech.  The Permatex kit cost me $15.

Both VERY good to know!

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 03:24:16 AM »
Cornbread did it cure in the cold?

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 06:55:23 AM »
@BikeFanatic I'm sure it would cure in the cold given enough time.  It was a warm day when I repaired my windshield.  And I followed the instructions and parked my vehicle in the sunlight to let the resin cure.

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 10:15:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing this! I have a small chip that I wanted to fix before it spread.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 07:31:18 PM »

If it's UV-cure the temp shouldn't matter. Low levels of UV in the winter could slow the cure time, though.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 10:51:43 AM »
I think my insurance will do this for free so it is more thrifty to have the pros do it.  But I am totally sticking a pin in this thread in case that fails to ever be the case!  Thanks for the DIY tip. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 09:57:38 AM »
My kit is arriving today! The "beater" I bought 3 years ago came with a windshield crack. Not in the driver's line of sight, but when the sun is at the wrong angle the glare can be a bit annoying. Worth giving it a shot!

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 12:55:46 PM »
I think my insurance will do this for free so it is more thrifty to have the pros do it.  But I am totally sticking a pin in this thread in case that fails to ever be the case!  Thanks for the DIY tip.

This. If it just needs a repair, it's free and doesn't affect my premiums. I'll let them take care of it at a cost of $0 and almost none of my time.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »
I think my insurance will do this for free so it is more thrifty to have the pros do it.

If it just needs a repair, it's free and doesn't affect my premiums. I'll let them take care of it at a cost of $0 and almost none of my time.
The insurance repair option is one way to handle windshield repairs.  In my case, I drive a paid-off vehicle and only have bare-bones liability insurance, which doesn't pay out for repairs to fix damages to my vehicle.

Kapiira

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 11:12:11 AM »
I have one that needs to be fixed right now.  Thanks for sharing!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!