Author Topic: DIY Food items...  (Read 140836 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: DIY Food items...
« Reply #300 on: February 09, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »
Successfully made tasty tasty yogurt. The instant pot is awesome, guys. At first I had some buyers remorse, but now I LOVE it. Whole chickens from frozen, easy broth that doesn't smell up the house, chickpeas for hummus, and now yogurt are my main uses for it. Loving it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #301 on: February 09, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »
It took me a while too, Bracken, but now I use the IP all the time.  Last night I made a curry in it.

My new batch of kimchi came out great.  Not sure if its the carrots or the kombu or what, but its as good or better than the $6 per jar stuff I sometimes buy because I didn't like previous batches as much.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #302 on: February 09, 2016, 03:29:16 PM »
Successfully made tasty tasty yogurt. The instant pot is awesome, guys. At first I had some buyers remorse, but now I LOVE it. Whole chickens from frozen, easy broth that doesn't smell up the house, ...

I love how the sudden smell of chicken is my "alarm" to know when the stock has finished depressurizing... :-)

I've been doing whole roast chicken > chicken stock in IP once a week for a few weeks. It makes for some really easy, healthy meals during the week. I've been having tons of fantastic chicken soup. Perfect for February.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #303 on: February 09, 2016, 05:09:46 PM »
Successfully made tasty tasty yogurt. The instant pot is awesome, guys. At first I had some buyers remorse, but now I LOVE it. Whole chickens from frozen, easy broth that doesn't smell up the house, ...

I love how the sudden smell of chicken is my "alarm" to know when the stock has finished depressurizing... :-)

I've been doing whole roast chicken > chicken stock in IP once a week for a few weeks. It makes for some really easy, healthy meals during the week. I've been having tons of fantastic chicken soup. Perfect for February.

+1. Just took one out and am on the stock part right now =) I shred all the meat up and use it in wraps/sandwiches/bowls/salads for work the next several days, and to send with DH. So convenient. Especially when I make DH shred the chicken ;)

serious_pete

• Stubble
« Reply #304 on: February 11, 2016, 04:18:18 AM »
Yesterday I made stock from a left over roast chicken. Today I added lentils, carrot, onion, pepper and curry spices. Put in the pressure cooker for 30 minutes. Whizzed up in the blender for the most delicious soup. My son loves this.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #305 on: February 17, 2016, 11:26:47 AM »
I put my preserved lemons in the refrigerator on the 8th of this month.  I am now waiting for them to turn so I can use them.  I have noticed a lacy substance in the jar but I have been told this is entirely normal....

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #306 on: April 11, 2016, 09:14:55 PM »
I just made a pot of oat and honey vodka. Anyone else make this recipe? It is killer. I absolutely recommend it. I don't know if it will even make it to the weekend (when it is officially "done").

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
Acquired a Kombucha Scoby a couple of weeks ago. First batch is almost done.  I'll have quite a few tweaks to replicate my favorite commercial brand, but that's part of the fun!

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #308 on: April 14, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »
Preserved lemons came out good I used them mixed with roasted potatoes.  Am now awaiting my homemade Kahlua but I didn't see I should have used instant coffee instead of ground coffee so it may be gritty...

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #309 on: April 14, 2016, 02:23:43 PM »
Preserved lemons came out good I used them mixed with roasted potatoes.  Am now awaiting my homemade Kahlua but I didn't see I should have used instant coffee instead of ground coffee so it may be gritty...

Maybe you could pour it through a coffee filter? :-)

Ausz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #310 on: April 17, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »
I keep a ziplock back in my freezer for vegetable scraps, which I pull down whenever I chop veggies. That outer later of onion that gets peeled off alongside the papery skin? In the bag. Parsley stems, kale stems, the top bit of carrots and zucchini, celery bunch bottoms, bell pepper cores, corn cobs... in they go. Just about anything works (provided it's been cleaned) -- just skip any strongly flavored cruciferous vegetables like broccoli or they'll dominate.

When the bag is full, dump it all into a pot, fill with water just to cover, and simmer 30 minutes. This makes a lovely, flavorful vegetable stock, and it's never exactly the same twice. I consider this a double frugality win -- it uses up odds and ends that might have otherwise been thrown away, and I get delicious homemade stock with zero effort :).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #311 on: April 17, 2016, 04:05:09 PM »
I keep a ziplock back in my freezer for vegetable scraps, which I pull down whenever I chop veggies. That outer later of onion that gets peeled off alongside the papery skin? In the bag. Parsley stems, kale stems, the top bit of carrots and zucchini, celery bunch bottoms, bell pepper cores, corn cobs... in they go. Just about anything works (provided it's been cleaned) -- just skip any strongly flavored cruciferous vegetables like broccoli or they'll dominate.

When the bag is full, dump it all into a pot, fill with water just to cover, and simmer 30 minutes. This makes a lovely, flavorful vegetable stock, and it's never exactly the same twice. I consider this a double frugality win -- it uses up odds and ends that might have otherwise been thrown away, and I get delicious homemade stock with zero effort :).

Do you save cucumber peels? I was debating this with my freezer bag today (I use EXACTLY the same system, but add it to my chicken stock). I've generally stuck to the trimmings from carrots, celery, onion, green beans, and garlic. Knew not to do broccoli, but haven't expanded from there. Asparagus? Cucumber? What about various herbs- I toss in thyme or parsley, but what about cilantro or green onion?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: April 17, 2016, 05:27:39 PM »
Do you save cucumber peels? I was debating this with my freezer bag today (I use EXACTLY the same system, but add it to my chicken stock). I've generally stuck to the trimmings from carrots, celery, onion, green beans, and garlic. Knew not to do broccoli, but haven't expanded from there. Asparagus? Cucumber? What about various herbs- I toss in thyme or parsley, but what about cilantro or green onion?

I wouldn't do cucumber or asparagus (asparagus is gross boiled).  I would do cilantro and green onion.

I don't have a ziplock, I have a hard sided plastic container - when it is full, I know I need to do a batch, like I did yesterday.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #313 on: April 17, 2016, 07:41:49 PM »
My parents dug up a ton of carrots last week.  I was going to blanch some but decided to try to make pickled carrots instead.  Made seven pints (gave some back to them).

I make most of my food from scratch, and in the summer we do a lot of canning from their garden (they are retired and love to garden, so my son and I just go help them work theirs instead of having our own).  We usually can salsa, tomato sauce, relishes, etc.

I also do a bunch of "mixes" when I bake (since I already have all the ingredients out).  I have rye roll, corn bread, and pie crust mixes, along with others, in the cabinets right now.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #314 on: June 07, 2016, 12:32:30 PM »
I did it! Using a cookbook from Martin Yan of Yan Can Cook I made my second batch of Chinese BBQ Chicken.  He used pork but since I don't eat pork I used chicken.  At first I wanted it to be sweet sticky and shiny like it is from the carryouts but I didn't use any food coloring.  The first batch I didn't marinate long enough and I baked it for 20 minutes at 350 then 25 at 375 not quite the recipe time but it was still quite flavorful.  I also used granulated sugar the first one and am using raw sugar for this one.  It was excellent over lo mein noodles and sort of stir fried onions, cabbage,carrots broccoli and cauliflower.  No loss of fiber lol...
My lo mein clumped together my first time cooking it now to work on stir frying properly.

pekklemafia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #315 on: June 07, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »
I did it! Using a cookbook from Martin Yan of Yan Can Cook I made my second batch of Chinese BBQ Chicken.  He used pork but since I don't eat pork I used chicken.  At first I wanted it to be sweet sticky and shiny like it is from the carryouts but I didn't use any food coloring.  The first batch I didn't marinate long enough and I baked it for 20 minutes at 350 then 25 at 375 not quite the recipe time but it was still quite flavorful.  I also used granulated sugar the first one and am using raw sugar for this one.  It was excellent over lo mein noodles and sort of stir fried onions, cabbage,carrots broccoli and cauliflower.  No loss of fiber lol...
My lo mein clumped together my first time cooking it now to work on stir frying properly.

Martin Yan is a badass - have you ever watched him debone a whole chicken? If Yan Can Cook...

I'm not sure if you are buying refrigerated noodles from the store or not (I usually do), but if so, it helps to loosen them up in a pot of hot/simmering water first before stirfrying.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #316 on: June 09, 2016, 07:31:28 AM »
Every time I try to cut up and debone a chicken it looks like Freddy Krueger put on a blindfold and got to work on it.  Sad...I did learn from his book how easy it is to make sauces and I will work on chopping vegetables better.

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #317 on: June 09, 2016, 08:21:04 AM »
Every time I try to cut up and debone a chicken it looks like Freddy Krueger put on a blindfold and got to work on it.  Sad...I did learn from his book how easy it is to make sauces and I will work on chopping vegetables better.

Just to put you in the mood...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI_c7PpIwR4

pekklemafia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #318 on: June 11, 2016, 09:14:09 PM »

Haha, I'm not much better with deboning chicken - chicken usually ends up slipping and sliding all over the counter.

Every sauce ever in Chinese cooking is basically thickened up with cornstarch, lol. Easy peasy!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #319 on: June 14, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »
I'm getting more and more into DIY condiments. In the past few months I've successfully made ketchup, home-canned relish, thousand island and ranch salad dressing, and next up is mustard. All sweetened with honey or coconut sugar. Boyfriend was especially excited about the thousand island because I"d banned the bottled stuff from the house some time ago after reading a label and becoming horrified at all the crap that was in there.

He also has started making his own barbecue sauce using my homemade ketchup.

I've been doing a lot of jams too as fruit comes into season.

The down side is, I'll spend a day making condiments or canning jam, and then realize there's nothing to eat for actual dinner. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #320 on: June 14, 2016, 09:27:23 AM »
I'm getting more and more into DIY condiments. In the past few months I've successfully made ketchup, home-canned relish, thousand island and ranch salad dressing, and next up is mustard. All sweetened with honey or coconut sugar. Boyfriend was especially excited about the thousand island because I"d banned the bottled stuff from the house some time ago after reading a label and becoming horrified at all the crap that was in there.

He also has started making his own barbecue sauce using my homemade ketchup.

I've been doing a lot of jams too as fruit comes into season.

The down side is, I'll spend a day making condiments or canning jam, and then realize there's nothing to eat for actual dinner. :)

I HATE that feeling! There is nothing worse than spending all day canning, whole tomatoes for example, then realizing you have nothing prepared. Reminds me of this:

Which normally I love, but sometimes is exhausting =P

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #321 on: June 14, 2016, 09:47:22 AM »
Yes, that's it exactly! I'm embarrassed to admit that I've called in a pizza before because I'd spent the entire day canning (and cleaning up repeated canning messes), the house was boiling hot, and I just couldn't face any more cooking.

Oh - this week I'm going to take a crack at homemade veggie broth for the first time. We'll see how that goes. I don't have a pressure canner so I'll have to freeze the broth. I'm running out of storage space for all of this stuff, though. We really could use a chest freezer but as we live in a smallish 3rd-floor apartment that doesn't seem possible.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #322 on: June 14, 2016, 10:09:27 AM »
Yes, that's it exactly! I'm embarrassed to admit that I've called in a pizza before because I'd spent the entire day canning (and cleaning up repeated canning messes), the house was boiling hot, and I just couldn't face any more cooking.

Oh - this week I'm going to take a crack at homemade veggie broth for the first time. We'll see how that goes. I don't have a pressure canner so I'll have to freeze the broth. I'm running out of storage space for all of this stuff, though. We really could use a chest freezer but as we live in a smallish 3rd-floor apartment that doesn't seem possible.

I've had a chest freezer in a studio apartment before =) You can get the smaller ones, and they make nice kitchen "extenders"- I would use the top as my dish drying rack. (That apartment only had a mini-fridge, and I lived there for two years!)

And yes, I've done the pizza order too! Always right around mid-August when the tomatoes are overtaking me =D

Best of luck on the broth! I recommend freezing it so it thaws easily, like flat in a large ziplock. When it's in hard-to-use bricks, I never got around to it! Edit to add: and be sure, if freezing in a container, to leave lots of headspace- it'll expand quite a bit. I've lost quite a few mason jars that way =o I don't use glass in the freezer much anymore... one of the reasons I prefer canning to freezing for many things, since I like to avoid plastics.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #323 on: June 14, 2016, 10:10:54 AM »

You can reduce your broth way down so it's concentrated and doesn't take up much freezer space.  I use little 4 oz Rubbermaid containers for the equivalent of 1 pint of stock.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #324 on: June 14, 2016, 12:44:20 PM »
Great ideas, thanks! I was going to freeze it in mason jars but it sounds like that's not such a good idea. I guess I could try it in big ziplocs. I was going to portion it out in the quantities that we typically use in recipes so we can just grab one when we need it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #325 on: June 14, 2016, 01:55:01 PM »
Great ideas, thanks! I was going to freeze it in mason jars but it sounds like that's not such a good idea. I guess I could try it in big ziplocs. I was going to portion it out in the quantities that we typically use in recipes so we can just grab one when we need it.

As much of a hippy as I am elsewhere, I got sick of the cost and pain in the neck of cleaning glass out of the freezer. =\ No good solutions from me, unfortunately. I just don't put anything warm into the containers (wait until it's fully cooled before bagging) so that it's less reactive.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #326 on: June 14, 2016, 02:10:05 PM »
I love making homemade stocks.  Way cheaper and more tasty than store-bought stock and way better than using bullion products.

My other favorite thing to do at home is breads.  I can make great breads at home for a fraction of the cost of store-bought loaves.  I choose to use easy recipes that give a consistently pretty-good bread rather than the best recipes just so I can make sure I keep up with making breads myself.  Only problem is my bread has to live in the refrigerator because it goes bad so quickly.  After watching how quickly my homemade breads go bad, it disturbs me to think how they get store-bought bread to last so long.  Baking my own is worth it only to know that my bread does not contain the artificial preservatives. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #327 on: June 14, 2016, 06:51:31 PM »
One way to freeze stock that's worked for me is to cook it way down concentrated, then pour about an inch into muffin tins, freeze them, pop out the pucks, and store them in a big freezer bag or a yogurt tub.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #328 on: June 15, 2016, 01:33:33 AM »
I made pizza for the first time last night with the budget bytes thin and crispy recipe and it was so easy!!! I'm a total convert.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #329 on: June 15, 2016, 02:47:14 AM »
Made wild garlick butter last week. So simple it's hardly even a recipe, but very good butter. I ate toasted stale bread with it on and was in food heaven.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #330 on: June 15, 2016, 07:16:54 AM »
One way to freeze stock that's worked for me is to cook it way down concentrated, then pour about an inch into muffin tins, freeze them, pop out the pucks, and store them in a big freezer bag or a yogurt tub.

Good idea. 

I make stock in a five-gallon stock pot.  After boiling for three hours and straining I usually come away with 5 or 6 quarts of stock which I store in quart-sized freezer bags in our chest freezer. 

Am I correct in assuming that you boil for three hours (or however long you would boil to make "normal" stock), then discard the carcass/vegetables/bones, then continue to boil the finished stock down to a concentrate? 

Do you concentrate to the point that one puck = about 1 quart of reconstituted stock?  Or maybe 2 pucks = 1 quart reconstituted?

How much additional boil time do you have to give to concentrate it?  Do you do it all in one day?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #331 on: June 15, 2016, 07:49:37 AM »
Always learning - I don't follow any real formula on concentrating the stock.  The nice thing is that it's flexible and you'll end up with a great product pretty much no matter what.  Even the stock that I can is at least 2x concentrated in that it will turn to a gel in the fridge. I start in a 5 gallon pot, so have about 4 gallons of water to start, and cook it down quite a bit before taking the bones and scraps out.

So if I had two gallons of that, I'd take out all the bones, run it through a seive, and then let it simmer until it's reduced to about 2 quarts.  So at that point, it would be about 8x concentrated, so a 4 oz portion would have as much flavor packed into it as a quart of the store-bought stuff. You're gong for something that is thick enough to coat a spoon, almost like a demi-glace. How long it takes to reduce depends on your method; you can keep the burner at medium and reduce it in an hour or so, or put it at a bare simmer, or let it go in the crock pot for several hours or overnight if you don't want to keep a close eye on it.  I usually do the latter.  When freezing stock, I don't bother to skim the fat out, because it's just extra flavor, so that's another step that can be skipped vs. canning.

jakubdudek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #332 on: June 15, 2016, 09:36:49 AM »
Great idea about concentrating stock, don't know why i didn't think of this before... it's always a bit of a pain to find room to store all the stock.  Going to do that next time, what's the point of freezing all that extra water!

The sourdough bit in the thread drew my attention... we've been making sourdough for years now (probably comes down to less than 50c/loaf with flour from costco).  As someone mentioned before, once you get it going it really can take all sort of abuse and neglect, so long as you re-feed it before use.  then it's 3-2-1 rule: 3 parts flour, 2 parts water, 1 part starter + 2tsp.  Barely any kneading required if you leave it overnight for gluten to develop and yeast to multiply (12 h or so).  Bake in the morning and victory is ours :)

I'd be curious to know about what people do as far as the actual baking... I've never been a big fan of bread machine as i never managed to get a nice crispy country style french bread crust with them.  We bake in a covered cast iron pot in the oven.  Makes a beautiful crust...  How do you guys bake?

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #333 on: June 15, 2016, 11:53:03 AM »
Re bursting mason jars in the freezer: the line that runs around the upper perimiter of the jar tells you when to stop filling if freezing. Neato! And if you freeze in glass - leave the tops off until solid so that the liquid has an escape route if overflowing.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #334 on: June 15, 2016, 12:15:55 PM »
Another advantage of concentrating stock before freezing it is that some recipes actually call for concentrated stock (demi-glace). Sometimes I use it instead of mayo in chicken salad, or stirred into plain hot pasta before adding grated parm.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #335 on: June 15, 2016, 12:24:09 PM »
These are all such great tips! I'm so glad I posted about this here, I hadn't thought about it much beyond "throw veg and herbs in pot, cook, put in jars." I really like the concentrating idea. Our freezer gets pretty crazy during summer as I buy up loads of in-season fruit and veg for cheap and freeze what's going to go off before we can eat it or otherwise deal with it.

I freeze food in mason jars all the time and have never had anything burst. But, I try not to fill them too full.

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #336 on: June 15, 2016, 09:13:34 PM »
We make our own protein balls. Better and cheaper than buying bars at the store that are high in sugar.

Oats, peanut butter, coco, honey, protein,  almond milk, flax seed.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #337 on: June 15, 2016, 10:11:21 PM »
Oooo..I am going to have to try protein balls! I buy the protein bars for when I go on long hikes/bike rides but wouldn't mind a homemade alternative.

For veggie scraps for stock, do u guys scrub your onions before peeling and cutting them up? I have been thinking of saving the tops but hubby is grossed out. I do leave the 2nd layer of peel on for stock. What about garlic? Do u wash the whole thing with peel?

I do keep celery ends and carrot ends (not carrot peels though) but those are easy to scrub before chopping them up. I also freeze all bone scraps and herb stems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: June 16, 2016, 11:14:17 AM »
My chives plant is crazy huge now, so I've been noodling around the internet for recipes and am going to make the following:
Chive Butter (easy peasy, and likely to be a hit the the hubs)
Chive oil for bread
Chive blossom vinegar (great on salads)
Frozen chives in olive oil

Wish me luck.  The plant is huge!  But I'm trying not to waste it for once.  I will probably throw chive odds and ends into my stock veggies in the freezer.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #339 on: June 16, 2016, 11:45:35 AM »
Has anyone tried paneer?
What recipe did you use?

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #340 on: June 16, 2016, 12:59:14 PM »
ooooo, thanks! My chive plant isn't huge but it's making more than I can eat.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #341 on: June 16, 2016, 02:12:58 PM »
ooooo, thanks! My chive plant isn't huge but it's making more than I can eat.

You can freeze the chive butter and the chives in olive oil... therefore they are going to be my first projects.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #342 on: June 16, 2016, 06:37:57 PM »
I've been doing pulled pork in the slow cooker frequently - .99 per pound for pork shoulder. Mrs. Axe made some Bao this week. We had this in Hawaii, make the pork the night before, the dough in the morning, then after work we put the spiced pork inside the dough and steam them. Cheap and delicious.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #343 on: June 16, 2016, 10:00:54 PM »
Bought a bottle of citrus hop kombucha today and liked the flavor, so I'm trying to replicate it at home.  I have tons of hops in the freezer and haven't made beer in a while, so it was nice to find another use for them.

Started making corn tortillas this week.  Still need to perfect my methods, but the second round was really good!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #344 on: June 17, 2016, 06:11:21 AM »
Currently trying to wake myself up enough to get into long sleeves and boots and head out into the not-yet-surface-of-the-sun heat to pick blackberries. Note to self: bug spray. There be ticks out there.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #345 on: June 17, 2016, 06:39:38 AM »
Bought a bottle of citrus hop kombucha today and liked the flavor, so I'm trying to replicate it at home.  I have tons of hops in the freezer and haven't made beer in a while, so it was nice to find another use for them.

Started making corn tortillas this week.  Still need to perfect my methods, but the second round was really good!
Any tips on corn tortillas? I feel confident on my flour tortilla recipe, but I've been intimidated on the corn tortilla front.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #346 on: June 17, 2016, 07:51:06 AM »

Any tips on corn tortillas? I feel confident on my flour tortilla recipe, but I've been intimidated on the corn tortilla front.

I'm still learning myself.  The first time, the dough  was too dry, so sticking to the wax paper wasn't a problem, but then they were too stiff once cooked.  I added some water the second time, but then needed to use flour and PAM to prevent sticking.  The second time, I cooked them in a ridged cast iron grill pan and they puffed up a little better.  No need to be intimidated though; having them stick to the paper was the worst of it, and if they do that, just ball up the dough and try again.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #347 on: June 19, 2016, 12:59:20 PM »
The chive butter and chives preserved in olive oil were easy successes.

Moving on... today's project is pickled red onions:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pickled-red-onions-1222211

There's nothing special about the onions themselves (bought at Aldi), but I think they will kick the flavor of some of my favorite foods up a notch.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #348 on: June 19, 2016, 02:41:03 PM »
The chive butter and chives preserved in olive oil were easy successes.

Moving on... today's project is pickled red onions:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pickled-red-onions-1222211

There's nothing special about the onions themselves (bought at Aldi), but I think they will kick the flavor of some of my favorite foods up a notch.
Pickled banana peppers are one of my favorite things to make when there's a summertime abundance in the garden - they make all sandwiches instantly fancy.

Also, I haven't made any lately, but my favorite DIY food thing is homemade liqueurs - I've got a pretty great recipe for a ginger liqueur (a la Domaine de Canton) and for faux Chambord, as well as creme de cacao and coffee liqueur. Serious Eats has a great series of DIY vs Buy recipes for them.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #349 on: June 19, 2016, 07:39:32 PM »
Making a spicy ketchup today with last year's canned tomato sauce, some paste I've been trying to use up, and the last of some homemade sriracha and fermented hot sauce.  Hoping I'll have the gumption to can it tomorrow night.