Author Topic: DIY ceiling replacement completed  (Read 2140 times)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
DIY ceiling replacement completed
« on: December 24, 2015, 04:38:41 PM »
Just finished the mudding/sanding/painting of our newly dry walled ceilings. Our house had a combination of cellulose (paper) tile and styrofoam beadboard (not sure what it is called but it's the sheets of little styrofoam balls used to make cheap coolers) ceilings. They were either sagging, splitting or outright falling in.

DH and I screwed up drywall and I taped and mudded the seams. He has done the sanding and painting. It is so nice to look up and see actual drywall ceilings.

Total cost:$450 for the drywall, mud, tape, primer, paint and screws to redo all the ceilings in the house (4 bedroom, office, 2 bath with a large kitchen and huge living room). No idea what it would have cost to have this done as we never got bids. Satisfaction looking at it: priceless!

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Re: DIY ceiling replacement completed
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »
Well done Mongoose. You probably saved at least a couple thousand dollars in labor, and at the same time you learned a valuable skill.   

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 09:24:32 AM »
I just completed a similar project. I had torn down most of the ceiling in our basement to replace old knob and tube wiring after we moved into the house. With a new baby on the way we needed some of that space livable again. I put new drywall on two walls, the ceiling, and around a heating duct that runs through the room. I also installed new light fixtures and painted the room. Now we have a nice little guest bedroom down there.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 05:25:20 PM »
Good to hear that the beadboard is gone. That crap is one hell of a fire danger, and it amazes me that more folks don't realize how dangerous it is. A lot of half assed basement renovations were done with drop ceilings that had the standard metal grid, but instead of installing the proper, fire rated acoustic tiles, thin beadboard panels (designed for insulation, behind ceiling tiles) are dropped into place. The stuff is a fire nightmare, it off gasses toxins, the flame spread I quick, and it drips molten plastic.  Sounds like your doing a great job, AND got rid of a serious life safety issue.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
Good work on the drywall. It is one of the jobs that I've done and decided to not do myself anymore.  I can't do any better than a professional and I take way longer.

You can get it completed 100% materials and labor for 1-2$ / sf depending on size of project just for future reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!