Author Topic: DIY Car Repair  (Read 3939 times)

KaleidoscopeHarmony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Harmony Smith
    • Creating My Kaleidoscope
DIY Car Repair
« on: March 12, 2015, 11:21:25 AM »
Hubby saved us hundreds on a caliper replacement!  Check out his tips for doing your own repairs :)

http://creatingmykaleidoscope.com/2015/03/12/how-we-save-hundreds-of-dollars-on-car-repairs/

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: DIY Car Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 11:34:31 AM »
Yeah, it's really hard to justify paying a shop to do most things on a vehicle if you have a few hours and a toolbox...

YouTube has made it so much easier - annoying though I find it (seriously, just give me a repair manual and leave me alone) to watch videos, the amount of free vehicle repair information out there is utterly insane.  Unless you drive something really weird, someone has probably done a video talking about exactly what you're about to launch into.

Great to see you took that on. :)  It just keeps going, and sooner or later, you find an engine in pieces being rebuilt in your basement.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 03:01:48 PM »
Yup.. you can even rebuild your own engines with enough practice and know-how.. I've done it several times..:)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:25:43 AM by Exflyboy »

BCBiker

• Stubble
    • Business Casual Biker - Health, Wealth, and Mental Stealth BTYB Bicycle Commuting
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 07:00:38 PM »
I was very pleased when door handle to DW's car broke.  I called the stealership and got a quote of $450.  I went on Amazon and bought the handle for $60.  I showed DW a couple youtube videos and she replaced it herself!  86% savings and she remains very proud of her work!

cs33988

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:35:19 AM »
I usually catch mustachian heat for the car but hopefully I can score some points with the maintenance.  I redid the entire suspension system as well as brakes on my car Sunday.  Took about 8 hours.  Estimated Savings: >$1200

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »
Nice!  Get an alignment if you didn't do that as part of it or you may end up with funky tire wear after replacing the suspension.

Did you do anything special with the brakes, or just new pads/rotors?  I'm a fan of stainless steel brake braided brake lines on older vehicles, since the rubber tends to get a little bit soft after a decade or so, and if it breaks down internally it can get a little flap acting as a check valve that either prevents a brake from applying or prevents it from releasing.  That's normally a 20+ year old vehicle thing, though.

cs33988

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 10:48:19 AM »
I just installed new pads and rotors.  I have previously installed SS brake lines!  Apparently the new suspension needs a couple hundred miles to "break in" and then I will get an alignment.  Thank goodness for YouTube!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 11:21:28 AM »
Oh, interesting.  I hadn't heard that before, but it's been a decade or so since I've done suspension work.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »
I just installed new pads and rotors.  I have previously installed SS brake lines!  Apparently the new suspension needs a couple hundred miles to "break in" and then I will get an alignment.  Thank goodness for YouTube!

Depending on what you did I wouldn't wait.. In a couple of hundred miles you can put some severe wear on a set of tires with poor alignment.

If you go to Firestone you can get a liftetime alignment for $150 or so (they have coupons on line.. print it out and take it there). Every 6k miles have it rechecked.. mine always moves a little bit each time.

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 11:39:50 AM »
I started driving as a broke kid with a broke vehicle...  actually, my first vehicle was a 91 F150 given to me in pieces.  (Dad says "If you can put it back together, you can drive it!")

I have had very few things done at a mechanic.

-Fuel pump on said F150: Second replacement.  First one I did and it was a royal pain dropping the tank.  With the full tank, I didn't feel bad at all.
-Tune up on my SL2: Hardest part was spark plugs...job took 30 minutes.  I felt very foolish.
-Valve adjustment on my Honda Element: Difficult, but not impossible.  Good tools and patience.  Definitely not worth $300 plus the gasket.
-AC Recharge: Admittedly a nervous operation...until I got the right tools.  Loving it now.