Author Topic: DIY Baby wipes  (Read 2537 times)

natb2347

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
DIY Baby wipes
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:45:06 AM »
I am not a mom yet but I thought this baby wipe hack was pretty clever.  Just a few ingredients and some paper towels in a tupperware container and you're good to go.

Supplies
-sharp knife (to cut the roll of paper towels in half)
-quality paper towels (so they don't disintegrate when immersed in liquid)
-coconut oil
-baby oil
-all natural shampoo
-distilled water

a swirl of baby oil, shampoo and a scoop of coconut oil into a bowl of distilled water.  Microwave it so it all melts together and mix it well. Take half of the cut paper towel, stand it upright in a tupperware container, pour the liquid over it, let it soak for a few, pull the paper core out of the middle, squish it down with the cover.  Pull from the middle for each wipe.  Viola.

here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1yL3ZTSWFo

Any other hacks you would like to share?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: DIY Baby wipes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:01:09 AM »
Also, wet washcloth.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 11:56:05 AM »
I used cloth wipes and had a cleaning solution ("baby bits" or something like that? It was quite awhile ago now, and I didn't always use it) in a wipe warmer or just water. Since we used cloth diapers anyway it was a negligible amount of extra laundry. Between the two kids in diapers for 4 years and 2.25 years respectively, we calculated a massive savings on diapers and wipes!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:44:21 PM »
I used that method! It totally worked! I also sometimes used cloth rags--I cloth diapered.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 03:58:02 AM »
I recently made DIY kitchen wipes, which are meh, mostly because I don't like the way they smell. These baby wipes actually sound a little more intriguing.

Posting to add that I thought it was wasteful to leave the core in, because it absorbs too much, as the video clearly shows. I removed it before adding the liquid. It worked just fine. Stick your fingers down into the core, fold/smush it in half or more and it will slip out easily, so no "secret sauce" is lost.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 05:21:08 AM »
We used cloth wipes when our babies were babies. Wipes warmers were just becoming popular, so instead I would put warm water in a thermos and wet the wipes with that throughout the day. No solutions, or coconut oil, etc. Just warm water on a cloth wipe. Then wash the wipes in with the cloth nappies/diapers.

Now my babies are all grown I use the wipes for myself. So much nicer than toilet paper.