Author Topic: Ditched the Enclave bought a used Prius  (Read 3410 times)

gaspony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ditched the Enclave bought a used Prius
« on: December 12, 2014, 11:54:19 AM »
Just like the subject says. It is a slow mild badassity that we decided to incorporate but by the cost of owner ship calculator on Edmunds, I should save $19000 over the next 5 years be driving the Prius. I know it isn't as good as a used Yaris but I drive about 15K a year for my job and having 5 kids I would still like to bring 4 of them with me in a pinch and the Prius meets that need pretty well.  Also since I buy cars cash, I received $7000 back from the dealer on the trade in for my luxury diplomat hauler plus all the savings going forward. 

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
Re: Ditched the Enclave bought a used Prius
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »
I am also considering a used prius as my next car after my 2002 Hyundai Elantra dies. Though at this rate I think that little old car may drive another 3 years...

When I look at cars for gas mileage there aren't really any cars in the 2010 and earlier market that can compete with the Prius gen II and gen III gas mileage numbers. And it seems more often than not these cars actually get their stated gas mileage in the real world unlike other compact cars.

But even the used Prius carries a bit of a price premium over a used civic or mazda 3 of equivalent age so its a tough choice for me, but in theory their gas mileage is far inferior in mixed city and high way commuting.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »
I've been driving a paid-for 1996 Dodge Dakota for the last 10 years.  It still  performs so well that I can't  project when -- or maybe even if -- I will have to replace it.  (Seems to me, based on past experience, that it's a better deal to fix/replace components if/as they need it.)

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 06:47:30 AM »
Just like the subject says. It is a slow mild badassity that we decided to incorporate but by the cost of owner ship calculator on Edmunds, I should save $19000 over the next 5 years be driving the Prius. I know it isn't as good as a used Yaris but I drive about 15K a year for my job and having 5 kids I would still like to bring 4 of them with me in a pinch and the Prius meets that need pretty well.  Also since I buy cars cash, I received $7000 back from the dealer on the trade in for my luxury diplomat hauler plus all the savings going forward.

That's not a "slow" move, it's awesome!   And add any income or debt reduction you can make with the $19K saved to that amount over 5 years and reduced emissions and reduced contributions to the oil companies!   We sold a Honda Pilot back in 2012 for a Prius V (wagon version).    My wife drives a TON of miles running kids and still loves her Prius and it easily cut $2000+ per year in gas costs alone so I think you'll be better off to the tune of $10K gas+7K principal+reduced depreciation+reduced maintanance+time value of additional stash!  Another friend sold her Honda Odyssey mini-van and has never looked back either.   Plus with the resale value, it's one of the better "bad" new car values out there (from a Mustachian standpoint, any new car is a money pit of course).  Can't say enough good things about the reliability and badassity of the Prius.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »
I am also considering a used prius as my next car after my 2002 Hyundai Elantra dies. Though at this rate I think that little old car may drive another 3 years...

When I look at cars for gas mileage there aren't really any cars in the 2010 and earlier market that can compete with the Prius gen II and gen III gas mileage numbers. And it seems more often than not these cars actually get their stated gas mileage in the real world unlike other compact cars.

But even the used Prius carries a bit of a price premium over a used civic or mazda 3 of equivalent age so its a tough choice for me, but in theory their gas mileage is far inferior in mixed city and high way commuting.

Geo Metro xFi? :P

I drive a '96 Civic hatchback, and regularly get over 40mpg in the city (delivering pizza, so no extreme hypermiling). I paid $2,500 for it. The number of years it would take to break even after paying for a "new" used Prius (Gen II for $6-10k) is a LONG game. Not to mention the higher insurance for a newer car.

Mr. Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 02:02:28 PM »
Congrats!  I just did the same thing.  Traded in my luxury sedan for a 2011 PRIUS.  Put some money in my pocket in the present and future.  Win win.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
Sweet!  I love my hummingbird aka 2002 Prius, bought used, of course.  Coming up on three years of nothing but low petrol bills and a periodic oil change.  I did have to invest in one tire also.

Congrats!

Apostrophe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »
The Prius is a great car - but don't neglect to look at the Civic Hybrid also. Because it sold in far fewer numbers, the resale value is less and they are often overlooked.

I have a 2004 Civic hybrid with a manual transmission that has been excellent. Lifetime average fe is just over 50 mpg for me. 170k miles on it and still going strong - in fact, I rent it out on RelayRides all the time and do Lyft with it when it's not rented out.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!