Author Topic: Deciding not to renew pro sports season ticket = Savings  (Read 2062 times)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Deciding not to renew pro sports season ticket = Savings
« on: August 31, 2016, 09:13:14 AM »
I'm a huge sports fan, but after my experience of completely ignoring the Summer Olympics this year and realizing that I missed absolutely nothing, I decided to rethink my Major League Soccer season tickets. These are tickets I've had for years now and it's always been something really fun, but I did a cost/benefit analysis and it doesn't really pass muster.

1.) The expense isn't as bad as other pro sports season tickets ($675/season in good seats), but due to lack of a resale market I could only resell missed games for at most 1/2 the face value of the ticket.

2.) Every time I went to a game, I had to pay $10/park.

3.) Game times were always around mealtime, so I usually ended up eating fast food outside the stadium or eating at the stadium pub before games. $15-$40/game and it wasn't good for my health.

4.) The stadium is far enough away that I needed to drive to get to games plus pay a highway toll to get there. Cost: $4.00/game

5.) Issues with traffic management after games made me get home late at night after weekday games, so I would end up feeling really tired at work the next day. Lost productivity = $ Who Knows But A Lot.

6.) I learned from a reliable source that the players were referring to the fans as "Trekkies" due to their devotion and stats-knowledge. Made me realize the players are just your typical jocks and I'm basically paying them to have gym class and sleep with models. Realization = Priceless.

So with conservative math, I'm looking at savings of at least $1300/season. That's a decent amount of money to add to the stash.

If I really feel the need to watch other people play soccer, I can just subscribe to the league's online streaming package, which would cost about 5% of what I'm currently paying to go to games. Isn't personal financial growth fun?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:32:32 AM by MoneyCat »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Deciding not to renew pro sports season ticket = Savings
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:54:40 PM »
Nice observation with #6.

Yes football players (of any variety) tend to be self-absorbed dickheads on the whole. The top ones go through sporting life being coddled an told how f'n brilliant they are, and many then can't cope when they enter the real world.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:00:06 PM »
Moneycat, what team? I like seeing the sounders play here but even taking the bus to downtown it always ends up being spendy with drinks and food, even outside the stadium at the pub. I only go once or twice a season these days. Seahawks forget about, since the superbowl win ticket prices are stupid and food/drinks even worse.

FWIW-My wife was friends with the wife of a very well known MLS player here and neither he nor any of the others players we met at dinners/playdates, etc were dudebro jocks.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:02:17 PM by big_slacker »

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 08:22:17 PM »
Moneycat, what team? I like seeing the sounders play here but even taking the bus to downtown it always ends up being spendy with drinks and food, even outside the stadium at the pub. I only go once or twice a season these days. Seahawks forget about, since the superbowl win ticket prices are stupid and food/drinks even worse.

FWIW-My wife was friends with the wife of a very well known MLS player here and neither he nor any of the others players we met at dinners/playdates, etc were dudebro jocks.

NY Red Bulls. I love going to games and they have the best stadium in the entire league, but it just doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint. If I really want to go to a game or two next season, I can just go on StubHub and pick up tickets for $15 apiece since demand is so low.

Some of the Red Bulls like Dax McCarty and Luis Robles are class acts, but others are not so much.

runewell

• Bristles
  • actuary
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 10:14:19 AM »
My friend has Seahawks tickets and sells most of them.  The profits pay for him to fly out to some of the games each year.