Author Topic: Decided not to buy a new stove!  (Read 1455 times)

andreamac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Decided not to buy a new stove!
« on: January 03, 2018, 04:41:10 PM »
So it's been a rough xmas on appliances! One slow cooker cover broke, my second one the cord melted... and then one of my stove burners died. We looked to replace the burner since my husband is somewhat handy but the price is $200 so no new burner and we are just keeping the stove until another part dies. Pre-Money Mustache, we would of just bought a new stove but not this time. For the slow cookers which I use 1-2 times a week, we decided to go with an instapot that also has a slow cooker function and a timer.

So overall we could of spent over $1000 for replacement appliances and instead we spend $115 on the instapot. Hopefully we like it.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
Re: Decided not to buy a new stove!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:46:14 PM »
Two years ago the control board on our oven went out. The burners still worked, fortunately. The control board for our oven was as much as a new (cheaper) oven. It was spring, so we decided to make due with crockpots, the electric wok, and the stove burners. We also kept looking for boards.

Six months later, just as cold weather was making us crave oven-roasted comfort foods, a control board popped up on ebay for a third of all previous  prices we had found. Ordered it, installed it, and the oven is still working perfectly. We couldn't have purchased a new oven for the price of the control board, especially not one as nice as ours.

All this to say, continue to keep an eye out for the part at a better price!

andreamac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »
Good idea, will keep an eye out for even a refurbished one!

Two years ago the control board on our oven went out. The burners still worked, fortunately. The control board for our oven was as much as a new (cheaper) oven. It was spring, so we decided to make due with crockpots, the electric wok, and the stove burners. We also kept looking for boards.

Six months later, just as cold weather was making us crave oven-roasted comfort foods, a control board popped up on ebay for a third of all previous  prices we had found. Ordered it, installed it, and the oven is still working perfectly. We couldn't have purchased a new oven for the price of the control board, especially not one as nice as ours.

All this to say, continue to keep an eye out for the part at a better price!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »
You can always find a replacement stove for practically nothing on Craigslist too

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 10:18:50 AM »
I second the craigslist suggestion! 

My kitchen was falling apart too (we knew we were going to remodel so we didn't want to replace anything until then).  It got kind of fun being creative with cooking.  The microwave, dishwasher, and oven were all broken for 3-4 months and dinner time just became a game after a while.  Toaster ovens and slow cookers for the win.