Author Topic: Dang, that was hard...  (Read 8784 times)

OneDogGP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Dang, that was hard...
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:59:57 AM »
Today was a tough day for me as I had to say goodbye to a good friend...  After way too much deliberation I finally sucked it up and called the Uverse folks and put in a cancellation order for my TV & Internet service.  In the back of my mind I know that this is a good thing, not just from the savings perspective ($138 / mth) but also because it will hopefully encourage me to get off my lazy azz and do more work around the house and maybe even get some much needed exercise.  But I'm not gonna lie... it hurt.

So now I need to either start stealing my neighbor's WiFi, or sign up for a cheaper Internet service.  So now my question to you'se guys is:  "How much bandwidth do you need to be able to stream media without choppy pictures, etc.  I know some of the Netflix type services recommend 5Mbps, but wanted to get others opinions so I don't grab the cheapest $15/mth Internet service and then regret it.

Thanks,

OneDogGP

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Dang, that was hard...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »
following because I want to know the answer to this too. I have the second-cheapest Internet available to me and it's still expensive as fuck ($60/month). but we watch a good amount of Roku streaming video and I don't want that to suck.

frugalman

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:43 PM »
I have 1.5 mbs DSL at my cabin. Netflix comes in just fine - it streams at "2 dots". It's not quite as crisp as 4 dots or HD, but plenty good enough in my opinion. I've had to talk down Centurylink 3 times in 2 years cuz they keep raising the price. My "threat" is, I'll just cancel the service and use my cellphone as a hotspot. Now this isn't exactly true, because I have a no data plan for $10 with AirVoice. However, this gets me turned over to the account retention department, who lowers the price from $60 to $40, which is still ridiculous for 1.5MBS DSL, but I also need it to connect to work, so gotta have it there.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:32:24 PM »
I used to have 5mbps and Netflix came in just fine. I've read on these forums that other people have reported 3mbps as being good for Netflix as well. You've made a good decision.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:38:20 PM »
Netflix recommends 1.5Mbps, but says it should work with a third of that. Of course that assumes that there's nobody else using the connection, so if you've got several people in the house or you like to watch TV and surf at the same time you'll need to bump it up somewhat.

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:03:35 PM »
You were paying $138 a month?! Woah! Well done for cutting that ball n chain off your ankle. Thats an insane amount to have been spending, even if you were to upgrade your internet and get Netflix it still works out cheaper!

eldred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »
He said that was for cable *and* internet.  That's a pretty normal price, and about what I'm paying with Comcast...

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 02:43:10 PM »
He said that was for cable *and* internet.  That's a pretty normal price, and about what I'm paying with Comcast...

Really? Ouch. All the more reason to ditch the tv then!

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »
I have 1.5 mbs DSL at my cabin. Netflix comes in just fine - it streams at "2 dots". It's not quite as crisp as 4 dots or HD, but plenty good enough in my opinion. I've had to talk down Centurylink 3 times in 2 years cuz they keep raising the price. My "threat" is, I'll just cancel the service and use my cellphone as a hotspot. Now this isn't exactly true, because I have a no data plan for $10 with AirVoice. However, this gets me turned over to the account retention department, who lowers the price from $60 to $40, which is still ridiculous for 1.5MBS DSL, but I also need it to connect to work, so gotta have it there.

We're also at 1.5Mbps DSL from Centurylink.  Fine for streaming everyday stuff - definitely not HD.  With 2 people using the connection (and occasionally a lot more devices than that), we do have to coordinate streaming with one another since it'll cause buffering if more than one device is trying to stream or download a big file at the same time.  We try and start downloads for updates when headed to bed or when leaving for work since those can seriously slow things down to do much of anything else.  When we video chat via Skype we have to make sure other devices are closed and not downloading anything and even then we sometimes get iffy connections. 

The next step up in our area is $55 to 5Mbps (from our current $35) and that just doesn't seem worth it for the occasional inconvenience or imperfect picture.

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »

I technocally have cable and internet- comcast is giving it to us for $42.88 (after taxes and fees) for the first 12 months. After which I call them up and "cancel" (But since they have us with cable right now- we did it since it was $2 more per month after taxes, and the world cup was coming up.. I can hopefully push them even more once that happens, as we only care about the internet)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 08:50:01 AM »
This is perfect information for my wife and I. We are moving, getting rid of Comcast ($65 a month for 25+MB down). New house uses DSL Extreme (not paying verizon that much) and it's only 3MB down. That worries me, but I'm OK with DL'ing a lot of movies and watching Netflix. Usually, we only do one internet activity at a time other than our RW phones. What the hell, we'll try it out for a year and see how it goes.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »
Congratulations on doing so. I think the fact that this was difficult is an indication as to how much of a hold it has had on you. Oftentimes it only when we lose or give something up that we realize how dependent we have become on it.

I am not there, my roommate/landlord pays for our cable bill and I realize I am watching too much of it, and will work to remedy this. Thank you for your post as it reminds me that I have better things to do than watch TV during a perfectly beautiful day.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 03:48:46 PM »
Congrats!

I got our bill down to $73 (from 99).  We share with our landlords who live downstairs, which makes it pretty reasonable.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »
Congratulations!  Incredible how hard it can be to make simple change when everything is crusing along.  When I finally switched from AT&T for internet and phone, I went back and reviewed my bill.  They had been raising my rate by $2-3 every 2-3 months for quite some time.  I never really noticed because it was on autodraft.  Sad thing is I am about to have to go back to them because my 12 month intro deal  with Charter is about over.  As far as speed goes, start low and work your way up if needed.  I have always started low and never had a problem.  Worst case you have to move up a notch, which will only make the provider happier.

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 04:05:48 PM »
Sad thing is I am about to have to go back to them because my 12 month intro deal  with Charter is about over.

Take a comcast user strategy, and try it: Figure out what your AT&T rate (or other cometitors rate) will be, and your costs of switching. Then, call Charter, and tell them you need to cancel and transfer to a lower cost provider. They will then start to sell you on the merits of their product, and transfer you to a customer retention department (Comcast name: charter might be different) - at the end, you will likely not have to switch as your rate will be lowered or extended for another 12 months. This should keep it the same price or slightly cheaper than the rates you can get by switching, and you get to keep your current service.

Other charter info that may be helpful: http://consumerist.com/2009/05/02/10-confessions-of-a-charter-customer-service-representatives/

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »
Congratulations!  Incredible how hard it can be to make simple change when everything is crusing along.  When I finally switched from AT&T for internet and phone, I went back and reviewed my bill.  They had been raising my rate by $2-3 every 2-3 months for quite some time.  I never really noticed because it was on autodraft.  Sad thing is I am about to have to go back to them because my 12 month intro deal  with Charter is about over.  As far as speed goes, start low and work your way up if needed.  I have always started low and never had a problem.  Worst case you have to move up a notch, which will only make the provider happier.
And this, folks, is why my wife and I still insist on paper bills whenever possible, so we actually have to pay attention to the bill each month.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 07:59:06 PM »
we have the lowest band with that Century link offers, I think it's 1.5. Netflix is fine but if someone tries to use the wifi at the same time for their computer then it starts to slow. I also threaten to cancel every year to preserve my $30/month introductory rate. 

TonyPlush

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
I have 5 mbps Comcast. I don't consider it acceptable for *wireless* Netflix because the picture is often not HD and may have to pause to buffer a few times per movie.

I think it might be a router problem though, because my PS3 usually only shows my wireless signal as about 78%. Streaming directly from my hardwired desktop works pretty well.

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 01:14:39 PM »
And this, folks, is why my wife and I still insist on paper bills whenever possible, so we actually have to pay attention to the bill each month.
Or use a program like Mint. We have a budget specifically for our internet bill. If they ever tried to charge us extra, the budget would turn red and we would notice during our weekly review.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »
be careful when you switch providers.

it may seem like a lower rate, but there are almost always hidden fees. like installation charges. modem fees or rental, or requiring you to use one of theirs, rental fees for cable boxes, etc. that if you prorate all those charges over the length of your contract, you dont save any money. sometimes they charge a shippling and handling fee or a set up fee that is separate from the installation fee.

really look closely at all the charges.

Try to own your own modem so you arent renting it
Try to own your own cable box, same reason. They like to raise those rental fees without notice, too.

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 02:03:33 PM »
We have 3mbps dry loop DSL from Centurylink. Even though we live right in the city it's the fastest we can get from CL. (A good negotiating point when I call to ask for a better rate.) Works well enough for us to stream videos as long as another person isn't doing too much heavy surfing/streaming on the other machine. For the $26/mo I'm paying right now it's fine.

We don't have netflix or anything like that. Right now we are streaming the Tour De France stages every day.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!