Author Topic: Damn the construction. Running to work. With my legs.  (Read 3952 times)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
Damn the construction. Running to work. With my legs.
« on: July 26, 2016, 03:05:49 PM »
And the legs are sore!

My commute is 7miles each way across a nice little burb. The last mile is on a 2-lane blacktop. Heavy industrial area, no real shoulder, 45mph limit. Traffic either crawling or doing 60. I've been biking it for 15yrs.

For a month now there's been major construction along this road and the shoddy shoulder (such as it is) is gone, as in shaved down 18" to the ground. Heavy machinery pushing dirt where the shoulder used to be. I cannot bike it without taking the lane. I am 'within my rights' to take the lane but I consider that to be 1) too inconsiderate 2) too dangerous. Much as I hated to do it, i started to drive to work every day. Then I started to get fat(ter) and sleep poorly.

Last week, screw it. Got up at 5:15 and walked to work. 7miles took 1:48, humping along at a good clip. 2hr return trip as I start to suffer from heat and exhausted legs.

Today, I RAN it. Well, intervals: 100steps walk, 100 steps run. My legs are sore and my feet are barkin. But what a rush!

Pic of the road pre-construction, and pic of the route attached. The route says 6.9miles but it is 7.1 door to door. The road pic was taken from my bike cam, pretty sketchy at the best of times. I'll get a pic of the construction.

Amazing how fast my body is adapting to the exercise. Day 1 'bout killed me and I was sore. Within 3 days walking was no problem. My goal is to run it the whole way, and get to the 1hr mark. It has been 78-82F in the morning and 98-103F in the afternoon. I carry 1 liter of electrolyte water and refill halfway home. I'm doing this in Chaco Z1 sandals, which are awesome.

TL/DR:
Commuting 14miles r/t via foot. In Texas. In Summer. It sucks but is kinda awesome.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Damn the construction. Running to work. With my legs.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:15:05 PM »
Not sure whether I think this is crazy or badass...or if I'm just plain jealous. ;)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »
You kick asss!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 03:33:47 PM »
This has "move closer to work" written all over it.

I'm glad you are enjoying the exercise, though.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »

LOL!

In all seriousness, though, I do hope you are running/walking "against" traffic...as in...you are FACING the traffic that's next to you. (The photo with the truck makes me wonder.) In the U.S., you should run/walk on the left side of the road so you can see the traffic coming toward you.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 05:49:30 PM »

LOL!

In all seriousness, though, I do hope you are running/walking "against" traffic...as in...you are FACING the traffic that's next to you. (The photo with the truck makes me wonder.) In the U.S., you should run/walk on the left side of the road so you can see the traffic coming toward you.

Pic of the road pre-construction, and pic of the route attached. The route says 6.9miles but it is 7.1 door to door. The road pic was taken from my bike cam, pretty sketchy at the best of times. I'll get a pic of the construction.

I hope acroy runs on the correct side of the road too (facing into oncoming traffic) but the photo is misleading as it was taken from the bike.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 07:25:42 PM »
I bet the people at work that thought you were nuts for cycling are having a field day with this!

You should contact the sandal company and tell them your story  - might get a (well deserved) free pair!

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 06:36:28 AM »

LOL!

I won't be moving closer to work; 14mi r/t is perfect for cycling and the construction is temporary :)
Thanks for the rec' to walk/run against traffic. I've been going with traffic.
pic attached of the current 'shoulder' on the way home

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 07:13:01 AM »
I hope acroy runs on the correct side of the road too (facing into oncoming traffic) but the photo is misleading as it was taken from the bike.

Good catch. Helps to read the details. :)

Yes, ride on the right (with traffic), run/walk on the left (against traffic).

Stay safe, acroy!

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 09:05:54 AM »
Ride on the shaved down dirt shoulder with a mountain or cyclocross bike? So long as there arent active bulldozers and other heavy equipment pushing around rock and dirt at the moment you blaze through. Even then, I'll bypass the red cones and cut into the "work zone" If I think I can get away with it.

:)

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 09:33:25 AM »
Badass!!!

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 09:50:14 AM »
Love it - keep kicking ass!
I'm also dealing with construction on my bike route, although I've simply chosen to take backroads. I wish I could kick as much ass as you by running!

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 10:49:56 AM »
Nice job! 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 10:54:14 AM »
Always walk against traffic. It's the only way to see someone that's going to hit you. I assume it's different with bikes because of speed and the fact that they consider a bike a vehicle.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 01:49:32 PM »
That's pretty badass.

I have a babysitter who watches my kids for date nights.  She lives about 1/2 mile from our house.  She doesn't own a car, works full time in a child care center, and takes the bus.

She recently picked up a couple of extra sitting jobs...one of which is 2 afternoons a week when she gets off. She walked home!  It's 1.5 miles one way in the afternoon heat.  For a slightly overweight 30-something, who is a little disabled (one of her legs is longer than the other, noticeably), I thought she did pretty good.

Last year we had "carmageddon" or something like that.  There was a mudslide due to rain that shut down the I-5 for a day or two.  So they redirected all N/S traffic to the 101.  Which is pretty much only 2 lane through my town.  Traffic was a parking lot (luckily my husband left work early that day and got the kids).  I didn't leave until 9 pm and the 10 mile drive took 40 minutes (normally it's 12).  Some people took several hours.

My buddy left his car and ran home, 10 miles.

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »
This is awesome!! I admire your spirit!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 03:16:59 PM »
You are a badass.  Inspiring.  I might try walking to work.  5-6 miles depending on route. 

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 10:40:27 AM »
Ride on the shaved down dirt shoulder with a mountain or cyclocross bike? So long as there arent active bulldozers and other heavy equipment pushing around rock and dirt at the moment you blaze through. Even then, I'll bypass the red cones and cut into the "work zone" If I think I can get away with it.
:)
I think the same way and tried the exact same thing ;) Commuter bike is mtb with 2" slicks exactly so I can go off-road when needed. They have been working on the shoulder with heavy machinery nonstop. I've not been able to get by safely on the bike. Good news is, fast as they are working, it'll be done quick.