Author Topic: Cut own hair for first time: success!  (Read 28737 times)

CoffeeAndDonuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cut own hair for first time: success!
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2019, 07:50:28 PM »
Just realized that we moved 14 months ago and it must now be just about a year since my wife started cutting my hair.

Saves money. Gives us a moment to chat a little bit.

I like to think it sets an good example for our son that you can choose to do things a bit differently than the norm.

I've suggested a few times that I could study and cut her hair but that's a no go. So often I slip her a $20 from my personal funds. Helps defray her hair cut (or whatever).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2019, 05:12:57 AM »
Congratulations Dicey!
Being able to cut your MIL's hair a bit at a time if she starts to fuss sounds like a great advantage to doing it at home. It also sounds as though she trusts you more than strangers, which I hope gives you some comfort.
Hmmm, I never considered the stranger aspect, but you might be right. She is particularly skittish about men she doesn't know. Thanks for that insight, @SunHat!

Related: Now that its been a few days, her haircut really looks good. Wish I'd thought of it/dared to a lot sooner.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2019, 06:50:05 AM »
Hey all -- great thread.  I'm thinking about trying to cut my own hair for the first time ever, and I have a question.  I may have missed it, but is anyone using a thinning shears, and any advice on that for a newbie?

I have a short bob and thick wavy chaos hair.  The thinning shears is the only thing that makes that cut doable.  I wonder if thinning is pretty forgiving for DIY?  Or if I am maybe better off finding some new cut . . .

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2019, 08:32:22 PM »
Hey all -- great thread.  I'm thinking about trying to cut my own hair for the first time ever, and I have a question.  I may have missed it, but is anyone using a thinning shears, and any advice on that for a newbie?

I have a short bob and thick wavy chaos hair.  The thinning shears is the only thing that makes that cut doable.  I wonder if thinning is pretty forgiving for DIY?  Or if I am maybe better off finding some new cut . . .
I do point cutting which kinda thins my ends...can you find a thinning shears video you like on YouTube? Or maybe  cut with scissors then trim?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2019, 04:28:24 AM »

I do point cutting which kinda thins my ends...can you find a thinning shears video you like on YouTube? Or maybe  cut with scissors then trim?

Thanks @ElleFiji -- yep, I found a couple videos of the pros showing how to use them.  Yes, you basically do the hair cut itself with scissors, and then go right into the middle of the hair with the shears (pick up hunks and chop away) to get the thickness and weight out.   I guess there's no other way than to just try it!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2019, 05:17:11 AM »

Thanks @ElleFiji -- yep, I found a couple videos of the pros showing how to use them.  Yes, you basically do the hair cut itself with scissors, and then go right into the middle of the hair with the shears (pick up hunks and chop away) to get the thickness and weight out.   I guess there's no other way than to just try it!
Just make sure that your scissors are sharp and your point cuts are straight into the hair and not angled. If you do that it’s very hard to mess it up!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2019, 04:29:47 PM »
Trimmed my hair last night.

My process: cut hair, brush it out again, realise it doesn't look any shorter, cut it again.

I'm up to something like 26 months since a professional cut.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2019, 02:26:40 PM »
Trimmed my hair last night.

My process: cut hair, brush it out again, realise it doesn't look any shorter, cut it again.

I'm up to something like 26 months since a professional cut.
Great job.  Keep it up.  I'm up to something like 26 years since a professional cut.  It is a great money saver.

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2019, 07:15:52 AM »
My wife cuts my hair, I tried myself but it was a big pain.  For a simple short comb over check out, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nq1TE7IPJo&t=295s&list=PLIJedyaYEhJJ3Cy-LosjjuQEbyQGmUP6G&index=2
Also, thinning scissors help out a lot with a fade.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2019, 11:56:52 PM »
I think I've posted this earlier in the thread, but where are the pics guys???

As the forumites at another forum used to say:  Pics or it didn't happen!

:-P

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2019, 09:08:09 AM »
...We have ahuge shower, so I cut it in there, swab up the trimmings, then he takes a shower. Easy peasy.

This is what I do as well when cutting my hair. Makes clean-up fairly self contained and easy.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2019, 08:15:51 PM »
So glad I found this thread.

I was paying $60 for a haircut (I live in Expensiveville, and my stylist is a friend) but eventually quit since i figured out I could get the same results from a barber.

So I went to paying $25 a cut. Not bad. For Expensiveville.

But my barber likes his days off. Asshole. I drove downtown for a cut, found the shop closed and said "screw this."

Went home and used a #3 and #2 guard on my Wahl Peanut and gave myself an acceptable cut. Freedom. (It helps that I am balding).

Have since ordered Wahl Fademaster clippers and have cut my own hair a second time. I have a lot to learn so will be reading all the posts here.

I will never go back.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2019, 08:08:06 AM »

I was paying $60 for a haircut (I live in Expensiveville, and my stylist is a friend) but eventually quit since i figured out I could get the same results from a barber.

But my barber likes his days off. Asshole. I drove downtown for a cut, found the shop closed and said "screw this."

Went home and used a #3 and #2 guard on my Wahl Peanut and gave myself an acceptable cut. Freedom. (It helps that I am balding).

Have since ordered Wahl Fademaster clippers and have cut my own hair a second time. I have a lot to learn so will be reading all the posts here.

I will never go back.
I've use Wahl clippers for many, many years.  Do a #2 with the faders over the ears usually about every two weeks.  Even at Great Clips or something like that if I had to go in I'd be paying $15 including tip each time, so my spend would be $390 per year.  I think I've had the same clipper for over 10 years now and still going strong.  Even if I have to replace it eventually, still pays for itself pretty fast.  $30 - $80 depending on how fancy I wanted to get.  My wife is not a huge fan of helping as she nicked me a couple times so only clean up the neckline very rarely, but never really been a huge problem.  Takes me about 5 minutes each time in front of the mirror and scoop the trimmings out of the dry sink and go on with the day.

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2019, 09:28:36 PM »
I talked my husband into letting me cut his hair about five years ago, and I've been doing it ever since. I started cutting my own hair not long after using the unicorn ponytail method, but recently I wanted to try something a little different so I talked my husband into cutting my hair even though he was terrified to do it. It didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, but I told him that it was great because otherwise I don't think he'd ever touch the scissors again. I'm letting it grow out a bit and then we'll try again.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2019, 09:07:14 PM »

I will never go back.
I've use Wahl clippers for many, many years.  Do a #2 with the faders over the ears usually about every two weeks.  Even at Great Clips or something like that if I had to go in I'd be paying $15 including tip each time, so my spend would be $390 per year.  I think I've had the same clipper for over 10 years now and still going strong.  Even if I have to replace it eventually, still pays for itself pretty fast.  $30 - $80 depending on how fancy I wanted to get.  My wife is not a huge fan of helping as she nicked me a couple times so only clean up the neckline very rarely, but never really been a huge problem.  Takes me about 5 minutes each time in front of the mirror and scoop the trimmings out of the dry sink and go on with the day.

Nice! Sounds like you have a foolproof cut.

I have since cut my hair a second time with the Wahls, and figure that they will have paid for themselves after one more cut.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2019, 06:34:04 AM »

I will never go back.

Nice! Sounds like you have a foolproof cut.

I have since cut my hair a second time with the Wahls, and figure that they will have paid for themselves after one more cut.
MMM's new video is about this.  Was actually pretty good, and I learned a new trick about using your cell phone as a "mirror" when in front of another mirror to be able to trim your neckline yourself.  Who knew that MMM also dispensed advice that can make your spouse happy by taking away an unwanted task from them and letting you do it yourself? 

Also, he has had his trimmer for 20 years, which is how long I've been doing this and he estimated that $40 has saved him over $10,000.  Yes, keep going, that savings will pile up.  After all our fearless leader just said so!

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2019, 10:17:10 PM »
I've been cutting DH's hair since college (so easy with clippers, it's ridiculous. Just pay attention on the ear chamfers).

I had been getting mine cut at Aveda for almost a decade (wait for it). The trick is, grow it out long and then donate it. Their store had a policy: get a free hair cut if you donate it! I did make sure to tip the hairdresser for her skills. The only bummer was that the nearest participating location was 200 miles away so I had to time it with trips to see the parental units.
Long hair in the winter is the worst though, so DH took the plunge a couple months ago and gave me a trim. He said it was the most stressful thing he's done in years, I say it looks great and feels amazing to not worry about dreaded back-of-the-neck-tangles-from-scarves.

If you're on the fence, get a buddy and try it out! The worst that'll happen is you go to the hairdresser's anyway. Go a little longer the first time, so if you do end up needing professional intervention the stylist has something to work with.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2019, 06:53:20 AM »
Lol, how to keep your bowl cut tight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz0uM2t5-dQ

My teenage son sent this to me as he thought it was hilarious. I had to reply that not only do I know various versions of bowl cut dudes, but that I cut my own hair in college with some snub nose kindergarten scissors. Bowl cut dude is waaaay more skilled than I ever was, and he has nicer scissors.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2019, 04:57:43 PM »
Would love to get up the nerve to try this with my own hair & 4 year old son's hair. Son somehow ended up with (what I consider to be) gorgeous, extremely thick blonde hair that had lots of crazy cowlicks. I, on the other hand, have fine, thin oily hair with lots of cowlicks. Spouse wants nothing to do with cutting either my hair or our son's hair. I may check out additional video tutorials.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2019, 09:10:18 PM »

This made my night. Thanks!

paperclip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2019, 02:39:16 AM »
Nice one. I started cutting my own hair roughly 2 years ago, probably saving around ~Ł250 total so far. In my case it's easy as I just shave everything down to grade 1 / 2.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2019, 06:55:51 AM »

Thanks for this!  That guy is hilarious.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2019, 01:48:23 PM »
I just did my first short cut my own last night. There was a brief moment between cutting the front and trying to figure out what to do with the rest that had me thinking "This is how mullets were born."

As a haircut, it looks fine. I am just not convinced it since the haircut that should be on my head. I usually feel the same.way no matter who cuts it all off, given that the reason I cut it was that my braids were getting caught in my arm pits on some yoga poses.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2019, 02:46:24 AM »
I just did my first short cut my own last night. There was a brief moment between cutting the front and trying to figure out what to do with the rest that had me thinking "This is how mullets were born."

As a haircut, it looks fine. I am just not convinced it since the haircut that should be on my head. I usually feel the same.way no matter who cuts it all off, given that the reason I cut it was that my braids were getting caught in my arm pits on some yoga poses.

Running is the reason I dream of cutting all my hair off.

I would love to trade in my ponytail - which is so long it has to be roped into buns or braids - for a cute bouncy ponytail again.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2019, 07:48:02 AM »

Running is the reason I dream of cutting all my hair off.

I would love to trade in my ponytail - which is so long it has to be roped into buns or braids - for a cute bouncy ponytail again.

At risk of outing myself to Facebook friends, it looks like a cross between Ursula from Little Mermaid and Buddy from Incredibles.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2019, 11:24:29 AM »
I’ve seen a lot of people using Wahl clippers, but Woner has some for half of what Wahl’s cost and have excellent reviews. Am I missing something with these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9K7TN5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fNXZCb6DPRQAN

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »
I’ve seen a lot of people using Wahl clippers, but Woner has some for half of what Wahl’s cost and have excellent reviews. Am I missing something with these?

That is more than I paid for my Wahl's, which I got at Costco. Looks like the difference is corded vs cordless?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2019, 06:50:22 PM »

That is more than I paid for my Wahl's, which I got at Costco. Looks like the difference is corded vs cordless?

I have Wahl clippers and I deliberately bought the corded set, as other posters mentioned their uncorded clippers losing battery life after a while. Corded seems to have a better lifespan (and mine have a generous cord anyway).

afterthedark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2019, 09:46:57 AM »
I started cutting my hair about five years ago. It’s one length, wavy and fine and a bit shorter than shoulder length. The first time I watched some videos and probably did the ponytail method. I remember the layers being quite successful.

Since then I’ve found it easier to cut it one length. I wet my hair, hold sections in between two straight fingers and cut along. My hair is so fine I manage to cut the whole lot in about three cuts. Then using a 2 inch mirror with a crack down the middle and manoeuvring myself around the sink which is in front of the mirror, I check for any missed bits to neaten up. I saw the comment above about using a mobile to see the back which is a good idea.

Wavy hair is very forgiving to any uneven bits.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2019, 10:16:13 AM »
Y'all inspired me again. I've been trimming my own bangs for quite a while, but never really worked up the courage to touch any other part of my hair. Last weekend, I finally did it. My favorite haircut is a just-above-shoulder-length messy layered bob. That sounds complicated, but it's actually pretty forgiving. I watched a whole bunch of video tutorials, then just went for it. My thinking was that if I screwed it up, I could always go see a professional for a shorter cut. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the result--just about as happy as I was with my last professional haircut. I just had to be OK with allowing for adjustments over a few days--remove a piece here, a little point-cut there.

I'm not sure I'll continue doing this forever, but it's pretty satisfying to take that expense out of the budget for now.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
Y'all inspired me again. I've been trimming my own bangs for quite a while, but never really worked up the courage to touch any other part of my hair. Last weekend, I finally did it. My favorite haircut is a just-above-shoulder-length messy layered bob. That sounds complicated, but it's actually pretty forgiving. I watched a whole bunch of video tutorials, then just went for it. My thinking was that if I screwed it up, I could always go see a professional for a shorter cut. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the result--just about as happy as I was with my last professional haircut. I just had to be OK with allowing for adjustments over a few days--remove a piece here, a little point-cut there.

I'm not sure I'll continue doing this forever, but it's pretty satisfying to take that expense out of the budget for now.

Like most things, it gets easier with practice!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2019, 10:46:42 AM »
My wife cut mine for the first time this weekend - mostly a success!

I got Remington corded clippers last week and decided to try them out. We started outside, so that a cleanup wouldn't be necessary, but it started raining, moving us back inside. We used the 1" guard, which is still the shortest my hair has been in a long time. MJ struggled around the ears and made a bit of a mistake behind one of them. However, I don't think many people look too closely at the area behind my ear, so I'm probably safe.

The only caveat: our dog is somewhat of an idiot and tried to eat the hair on the ground that we did cut outside, so I had to go vacuum the wet concrete as well.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2019, 06:07:23 PM »
Cut DH's hair this morning. It looks good, if I do say so myself. #thankyouverymuch. [Dicey takes a modest bow. Very prettily, I might add.] Preen!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2019, 11:05:42 AM »
^This post reminded me that I need to cut my hair this weekend. I have a lot of work trips coming up to the Southern US, and definitely don't want to have longer hair in the muggy hot weather!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2019, 02:19:42 AM »
^This post reminded me that I need to cut my hair this weekend.

This thread always reminds me when I'm due for a cut. :)

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2019, 02:29:18 PM »
I bought Wahl clippers at a 50% discount last xmas and have been shaving my undercut myself since then. The top of my mohawk is kind of tricky so I still get it cut by my barber every two months, but in between I save about $20 a month not going in for touch-ups in the buzz cut area  Plus the driving time saved, and don't have to chit chat either lol.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2019, 05:38:28 AM »
Besides cutting my own hair for around three years now, I've bought good grooming supplies for the dog and cut his hair, too. I try to coordinate and do us both on the same weekend once every five weeks or so. It honestly isn't so much the money savings--it is so much more convenient not to schedule appointments at salons for both of us and then get bad haircuts anyway. There is a learning curve, but hey--it's like grass--it's always going to grow back. For me:  A Crea clip, Wahl clippers, hair cutting scissors, and a Wall Peanut for the back of my neck. For Bandit: Wahl Bravura dog clippers with the guards, small blunt pet scissors, and pet thinning shears. (Used on clean hair after his bath and comb-out.) My cut is done with dirty hair and I wash and blow dry afterwards.

J.R. Ewing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2019, 01:25:36 PM »
I started cutting my hair this spring too.  I found a #6 blade with the edges trimmed with a #3 blade works well. 

As others have stated, skipping the small talk is the best part. 

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2019, 05:45:04 PM »
Started doing it myself two years ago, savings so far, $408!

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2019, 05:59:33 PM »
My husband occasionally mentions that it would be nice if I would get a professional cut every once in a while. He recently learned that one of his coworkers spends about $150 every six weeks to keep her hair Instagram worthy. He changed his mind quickly after hearing that!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2019, 12:51:44 AM »
My husband occasionally mentions that it would be nice if I would get a professional cut every once in a while. He recently learned that one of his coworkers spends about $150 every six weeks to keep her hair Instagram worthy. He changed his mind quickly after hearing that!

Does he think it would be nice for you, as a luxury? Or is he commenting on your actual hairstyle?

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2019, 04:52:22 AM »

Does he think it would be nice for you, as a luxury? Or is he commenting on your actual hairstyle?

More the actual hairstyle. I normally just wear my hair in a ponytail or bun. I’ve started styling my hair a bit more if we’re going out or seeing friends/family because apparently my husband likes that, but otherwise if I have an extra twenty minutes there’s a long list of things I’d rather do than my hair.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2019, 06:20:53 AM »

I find going to the barber to be a huge PITA...

Yes! It was one of the things I hated about being in the military......more prevalently on my mind than the whole getting your ass shot off thing.

I shaved my head last year. While I only did it once, I made other changes - 6 weeks between cuts instead of 4, and takinga  half day off work so there's no wait, and I reward myself for the self care.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2019, 06:38:18 AM »
Inspired by this thread I purchased clippers this week and took the plunge yesterday! I'm happy with the results, though the cut is fairly full-proof - number 1 guard over my whole head. I was due to a cut in a week or so (I typically go every two months). The price of the clippers was cheaper than my average cut with tip, so I have already saved money.

AZryan

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2019, 01:24:59 PM »
Just wanted to post that I've been cutting my own hair since I was ~16 and my parents told me I had to pay for that sort of thing myself.

I'm a white guy with short, straight hair and the idea of paying $8 +tip at the local Supercuts or Great Clips or wherever for a 5 min. trim for the rest of my life really bothered me. (just one of the early things that put me on a similarish path to FIRE as MMM around the same age/time). Don't even know what cuts cost now.

Saw an infomercial for the Flobee and decided to try it. It was $60 at the time, and like $15 or $20 for their tiny vacuum cleaner they make to go with it. It was made REALLY well. Heavy duty -at least back then. But I think it appears to be the exact same design for like ~30 years now. Still works perfectly. Replaced the vacuum once, but that thing's tiny and super powerful. It's got a physical 'kick' when the motor turns on, so it'll pull hair up nice and even.

You can buy replacement filters for it, but I just clear out most of the hair each time and reuse the same filter forever.

Technically, you can use any vacuum, but I'd strongly rec. you consider getting the vac to use just for hair. You don't want to ruin an expensive vac that's not meant for handling that much tiny bits of hair.

It's kinda hard to cut the back myself (I use a mirror and good coordination). i wish my wife would do it, but she never tried. It's fine. Takes me like 5min. for each cut whenever I want and just as long to pull everything out and put it all back away.
It's been a small investment, but fantastic return.

It may sound and look stupid, but it works just like how at the hairdressers they comb sheets of hair up between their fingers and clip it across the top edge. Watch the videos of it. If it looks like it'll work for you, it will.

Sorry, I won't put a pic up of me. But I'm an author with my pic on Amazon and think my hair looks decent enough. At least how it always looked from someone else doing it.

savedandsaving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2019, 02:54:25 PM »
Been cutting my own hair (layered long bob w/ full-across bangs) for 4 years now—carried myself through my first (and only) serious dating relationship, college graduation, and wedding 😎 If anybody needs encouragement: YOU CAN DO IT.

(Also: only you are guaranteed to give yourself what you want. I’ve had too many hair stylists steer me forcefully away from something I specifically asked for because they needed to be right. No thanks!)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2019, 06:14:46 PM »
I just saw an ad for a new electrical hair appliance, a split-end remover.

In my house we call those scissors.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: July 29, 2019, 08:05:13 AM »
I cut my hair last night for the first time in my new house. It was a little harder to contain the mess in the new bathroom (I typically cut my hair in the shower/tub), but still worked out fine.

I've heard some people cut their hair outside so they don't have to worry about the mess- do you just pick a corner of your yard, run an extension cord, and bring a mirror?

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: July 29, 2019, 08:55:33 AM »
Just use one of those little re-chargeable hand vacs. Also, be sure you're not getting hair into your sink, if you're cutting in front of the bathroom vanity. Spread a towel, or some newspaper (yeah, what's that?), across the sink.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2019, 08:03:05 AM »
I trimmed the sides just over the ears this AM and shaved the back of my neck. If I keep it up, I'll have the early seasons Frasier Crane cut, so this can't last, but it's nice to put off the trip to the barber another few days.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!