Author Topic: Cut own hair for first time: success!  (Read 28739 times)

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cut own hair for first time: success!
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2018, 10:30:01 PM »
Just cut my own hair for the 2nd time ever tonight- turned out great! And now I've officially saved more money than the cost of my Wahl trimmers.

Spartans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »
Just cut my own hair for the 2nd time ever tonight- turned out great! And now I've officially saved more money than the cost of my Wahl trimmers.

It's a great feeling!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2018, 04:41:35 AM »
I haven't been to a hairdresser, for I dunno, 15 years? So technically this isn't cutting my hair for the first time.

Long backstory: I've been growing my hair out from bald (it fell out a couple of years ago from chemo) and now it's at long bob stage. But I have a frozen shoulder and can't put it up in a pony tail. And it's bugging me because I don't really like my hair now, doesn't match what I feel like on the inside. Part of me feels like, well, it's been two years to get it to this long, I should just keep it like this. But part of me reeeally wants something different but I'd really rather not go to a hairdresser (I don't like strangers touching my hair).

So this weekend, DH might be doing an undercut shave underneath my long bob with his clippers. If I didn't have a frozen shoulder I could do it myself (and have done so once before). He's a bit worried he'll mess up. I think, how bad could it be as an undercut...

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »
I've gotten better in the two years or so that I've been doing my own short bob every couple of months. I use the crea clip in the back, and the shorter, straight crea clip to do the sides. It's supposed to be for bangs, but I do my bangs freehand with scissors. Anyway, at this point I have kind of an uneven mess, because I'm actually trying to go shorter in the back than the crea clip is really intended for. I shape it up as best as I can with the Wahl clippers and the crea clips. Then I straighten the lines a little more with my haircutting scissors. The new method: At this point, I get in the shower and wash my hair, hop out, and just by eye and with my hair wet, I trim a straight edge around the bottom with my haircutting scissors. I can get it the earlobe-length that I want by doing it this way. Bear in mind that I have very straight,  fine, "baby" hair. I don't know how this would work for someone with lots of thick, coarse, or curly hair.

I like my edgy, "chopped off", short bob better than any haircut I've had in a salon. 

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2018, 12:15:41 PM »
I cut hair for three of the men in the family and my own - each with a different style and hair type.  I just ask what cut they want (look online for a photo) and then watch a youtube video on how to do it for that hair type.  I ordered clippers, hair cut scissors, thinning shears and a bib to catch the hair from amazon - more than paid for itself in the first month with three cuts.   My own hair is more difficult as it is thick and curly, but was also possible with my husband's help after watching a number of youtube videos on women's curly hair techniques.  I'd say if you can follow instructions in a youtube video you can cut hair.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2018, 12:54:14 PM »
Cut my own hair for the second time last week. The first time wasn't very noticeable (just a trim), but this time I took off a few inches. I love it, and I've been getting compliments all week at work. I'm also styling it more, maybe because I feel more invested in a haircut I did myself? It made me wonder if I would take of anything better if I made myself (e.g., clothes I sewed). I think I would.

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2018, 09:28:54 AM »
I have been cutting my own hair since I was 14, very glad I started back then.  I used to go full buzz-cut since it was easier.  It would look bad for about a week, but I didn't really care then.  Now I cut with scissors, definitely takes practice, but it is not that hard.  I find that I can stretch it out a few more weeks/months if I trim a bit around the ears and back between cuts.

Before I got married, it was strongly suggested that I go get a professional haircut.  The woman who cut it was very amused that I had never gone to a barber and gave me a few pointers.  So for anyone doubting they can do it - just try!  You can always have a pro fix it, or wait for it to grow back, or become known as the person who wears huge hats, or cut the rest of it off in support of someone with cancer ;).

The downside of never getting my haircut was that I had no idea how much to tip!  The haircut was $35 and she suggested $5... very glad I do not pay that all time.

I cut my wife's hair a few times.  It was fine.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2018, 12:50:00 PM »
Now that I'm cutting my blunt, short bob even shorter, I needed something to get rid of the sniglets on the back of my neck and clean up my messy hairline. After some research, I bought the Wahl corded "Peanut professional clipper/trimmer in miniature size" to quote the packaging. I love this thing--take a look on Amazon and see what you think. It does exactly what I needed--in about 2 seconds.

Lest you think it's just me blowing hot air, may I mention that a complete stranger walked up to me yesterday and said, "I love your hair." Unbelievable.

I had previously tried my regular-sized Wahl clippers, the trimmer that is included inside the clippers, a re-chargable electric razor, and even just a regular Mach 3 razor. None of them worked very well. So this Wahl Peanut thing is great. Oh, and it includes four guards, if you need them, from 1/8 inch to 1/2 inch.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2018, 01:59:48 PM »
I've been cutting my own hair for a good 20 years now. I bought a robocut / flowbee that attaches to my vacuum and does the same layered cut I liked but could never quite get right at a salon. My robocut finally broke last year, and now thanks to this post I've learned about the crea clip. I think I'll try that out. Cutting your own hair is a lot more versatile nowadays with YouTube!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2018, 07:40:16 PM »
You guys have inspired me! I'm going to try cutting mine tomorrow or Friday. I'll report back. I have long wavy hair so I think it should be pretty easy.

jgoody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2018, 07:55:04 PM »
My wife has cut mine with Wahl clippers since before we were married (4 years ago).  This despite the fact that she once accidentally forgot to put the fence on the clippers ONE WEEK BEFORE OUR WEDDING!  That's when I learned she was a nervous laugher and also the reason I'm nearly a cue-ball in our wedding pictures.  Anyway, about a year ago, we added the Wahl vacuum attachment to our clipper and it is so so very tidy.  She cut my hair last night in the dining room - no sweeping or shower necessary afterwards.  It is a little noisy, but overall pretty incredible. 

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2018, 08:35:03 PM »
How well does the vacuum kit work? Do you really not have to sweep up anything afterwards? Since we don't have a yard yet, I just stand in the shower/tub and cut my hair now...

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »
I haven't been to a hairdresser, for I dunno, 15 years? So technically this isn't cutting my hair for the first time.

Long backstory: I've been growing my hair out from bald (it fell out a couple of years ago from chemo) and now it's at long bob stage. But I have a frozen shoulder and can't put it up in a pony tail. And it's bugging me because I don't really like my hair now, doesn't match what I feel like on the inside. Part of me feels like, well, it's been two years to get it to this long, I should just keep it like this. But part of me reeeally wants something different but I'd really rather not go to a hairdresser (I don't like strangers touching my hair).

So this weekend, DH might be doing an undercut shave underneath my long bob with his clippers. If I didn't have a frozen shoulder I could do it myself (and have done so once before). He's a bit worried he'll mess up. I think, how bad could it be as an undercut...

On Sunday I got an undercut!! It was a bit angsty for a bit there but DH and I eventually succeeded. It was a bit of joint (bodgy) effort. Like, he'd hold his finger tight against the line of shave/not shave while I did my best at getting all the bits short and the same length. I'm happy with it :)

jgoody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »
How well does the vacuum kit work? Do you really not have to sweep up anything afterwards? Since we don't have a yard yet, I just stand in the shower/tub and cut my hair now...

I really don't sweep afterwards.  If you have pure white marble floors and are OCD, you may feel otherwise.  But for me, if anything is missed by the vacuum, it's not enough to catch my attention.  I also don't feel the need to change shirts or shower afterwards and have no itchy feeling around my neck.  So again, I think the vacuum does a pretty amazing job. 

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2018, 03:43:09 PM »
Just did it! I used the "pony beard" method (lol) and it was ridiculously easy. I may still visit a salon in a few months to get my layers done, as I'm not brave enough yet for anything other than a straight across trim, but I should definitely be able to extend my time between cuts.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2018, 08:59:58 PM »
^ Even just extending your time between "professional" cuts is a huge win. Congrats!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2018, 10:23:29 PM »
Just did it! I used the "pony beard" method (lol) and it was ridiculously easy. I may still visit a salon in a few months to get my layers done, as I'm not brave enough yet for anything other than a straight across trim, but I should definitely be able to extend my time between cuts.

You could always attempt a layered cut before your next hair appointment, knowing the experts can fix it if it all goes horribly wrong, but I'm sure it will turn out better than you expect. :)

9patch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Earth Jubilee
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2018, 03:24:31 PM »
Do you have short hair or long hair? I cut both my own long hair, and my son's, and we have the typical stick straight Chinese hair. For mine, I do the ponytail on the top of my head, which gives me long layers. For my son, I was mostly doing clippers, like all the guys on here, with various guard lengths, but now I prefer to use scissors. I also bought these scissors that have teeth in them, they're called tooth texturizer shears, and they work pretty well to prevent the dreaded line. I also use scissors to razor the hair, so that again you don't have the dreaded line. I like Japanese guys' medium length cuts, so that's the style I aim for now for my son.

I'm super nervous to try this, but I'm about ready for a haircut. I already do my bangs on my own (since the hairdresser always messes them up) but I'm terrified of a bad cut. I have a couple inches to go so I'm timing it so that I can do a trim and if I mess up I won't be screwed and can get a professional.

Does anyone have tips for super straight hair? My hair is stick straight naturally and I'm worried any unevenness will be really obvious.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »
Cut my own hair for the past 8 years with clippers and three days ago shaved it all off.   Much faster haircuts now....

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2018, 02:12:48 PM »
Cut my own hair for the past 8 years with clippers and three days ago shaved it all off.   Much faster haircuts now....

This post coupled with your user name made me ಠ_ಠ.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2018, 02:22:04 PM »
Had pattern baldness from right out of high school.  I just keep the hair I do have buzzed, so I've used a Wahl trimmer myself every 2-3 weeks for the last 30+ years.  Figuring about $10-$15 before tip for each haircut, that has saved me I dunno, about $5,200 - $11,700 for the price of two Wahl trimmers (about $100 for both).  Not a bad ROI.  Hoping to live another 30 years so I can save that one more time before I kick the bucket.  I think they said you hair keeps growing for a while after that, but then I probably will get it cut less and won't be able to access the savings anyway.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2018, 03:16:09 PM »
Had pattern baldness from right out of high school.  I just keep the hair I do have buzzed, so I've used a Wahl trimmer myself every 2-3 weeks for the last 30+ years.  Figuring about $10-$15 before tip for each haircut, that has saved me I dunno, about $5,200 - $11,700 for the price of two Wahl trimmers (about $100 for both).  Not a bad ROI.  Hoping to live another 30 years so I can save that one more time before I kick the bucket.  I think they said you hair keeps growing for a while after that, but then I probably will get it cut less and won't be able to access the savings anyway.

Do you ever shave it completely bald?  I just did the Wahl clippers head shave it it was close enough for me.  I just don't think the hassle of razors and shaving cream to get it smooth for 1-2 days is worth it?

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2018, 01:10:13 PM »

Do you ever shave it completely bald?  I just did the Wahl clippers head shave it it was close enough for me.  I just don't think the hassle of razors and shaving cream to get it smooth for 1-2 days is worth it?
I would agree and so no I've never gone fully bald.  I usually use a 3 clip, and I did once mistakenly have a 1 clip on when I was tired and half asleep as I started.  The hunk I first shaved was right in the middle of the back of my head, so I then had to do the whole thing with a 1 to not look silly, and so even seeing it in that state made me realize "yeah, this short looks a bit funny so it would need be full bald or leave it at the 3 I have for years".  Not wanting the work of full cue ball I have not gone that route.

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2018, 03:11:35 PM »
Had my mom buzz my head every summer as a kid (made me faster for swim team right?). About 5 years ago I had a pretty horrible cut at a barber and was frustrated. I started doing it myself to save money.

A couple pointers for the men
- ALWAYS oil the clippers, every time
- invest $15-$20 in a quality pair of scissors from beauty supply store
- Having a mirror behind you helps a lot. We have one in the bathroom door so when it's open I can see the back (damn the balding is getting worse)
- I don't recommend wearing a shirt, short hairs sometimes don't come out even after washing, just have broom, dust pan, and vacuum ready
- shower right after

Another great thing is you get to know your head. I usually do a 4 straight up the sides, this allows for an easy blending with the scissors on the upper side and top. Occasionally I will fade but it's a lot of work (more time). Considering one of those short sides long top hipster look to comb back over that bald spot but wife thinks they look stupid.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2018, 05:43:53 PM »
Had my mom buzz my head every summer as a kid (made me faster for swim team right?). About 5 years ago I had a pretty horrible cut at a barber and was frustrated. I started doing it myself to save money.

- Having a mirror behind you helps a lot. We have one in the bathroom door so when it's open I can see the back (damn the balding is getting worse)
- I don't recommend wearing a shirt, short hairs sometimes don't come out even after washing, just have broom, dust pan, and vacuum ready
- shower right after

Another great thing is you get to know your head. I usually do a 4 straight up the sides, this allows for an easy blending with the scissors on the upper side and top. Occasionally I will fade but it's a lot of work (more time). Considering one of those short sides long top hipster look to comb back over that bald spot but wife thinks they look stupid.

+1 on oiling the clippers.  My first pair went kaput due to my negligence on this.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »

- shower right after

+1 on oiling the clippers.  My first pair went kaput due to my negligence on this.
Hmm.  I've used my current set of clippers for 15 years and never oiled them.  Not saying not to do it, just passing along the information.

I trim over the sink and close the drain.  I then gather together and toss in the wastebasket.  No vacuum or dust pan needed.  Saves that work too.

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2018, 10:59:37 AM »
Cut my hair for the first time using the goat/pony beard method.  It looks like a normal haircut.  I cut off about 2 inches.  My hair is long and curly so it's very forgiving.

Glad I saw this thread and realized I could cut my own hair and save the time, awkward chatting and $45 it costs at a salon.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2018, 01:14:20 AM »
Is anyone cutting their hair when it's dry?

I had always done it wet but I've found it easier to feather the ends when it's dry.

(Hair is naturally curly/wavy/chaos, if it's relevant.)

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2018, 11:39:21 AM »
At the salon I used to get dry cuts - my hair is curly. I've only tried cutting my hair when wet.  How do you feather the ends when cutting it yourself, mustachepungoeshere?

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2018, 06:33:00 PM »
I'm going to try the pony beard as soon as I get some scissors.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2018, 06:58:56 AM »
My husband had hair scissirs, so I cut my hair this morning. I'm pretty happy with it, so I think I'll invest in some scissors that are actually sharp.

It took me a while to get the back straight, but I gave myself an inch or two of leeway, and I ended up with the exact length I wanted: 5 inches off.

If my students laugh at my hair today, I'll know it wasn't as good a job as I thought. Thank goodness for teenagers with no filter -- you can always count on their honesty!

krustyburger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2018, 05:20:54 AM »
Is anyone cutting their hair when it's dry?

I had always done it wet but I've found it easier to feather the ends when it's dry.

(Hair is naturally curly/wavy/chaos, if it's relevant.)

lol wavy chaos, same here
Yep I alway cut my hair dry, I think it makes a lot more sense for curly hair as the curls change depending on length and you can see how it looks as you go.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2018, 10:12:14 PM »
Cut my hair again tonight! I feel like each time I do it I get better and better. The cut tonight is still not the best I've ever had, but definitely better than some of the worst barber cuts I've gotten.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2018, 05:52:41 AM »
I just had to make a copy of my driver's license for something, and was noticing how nice my hair looked in the DL picture. I was trying to remember what hairdresser had done the cut...then remembered it was me!

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2018, 06:04:58 AM »
My hubby does mine. We call his barbers "budget cuts"! Usually done in the harden when warm enough.
I'm taking the plunge in a few months and clearing the dye out and going grey (gulp). Any advice welcome...

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2018, 06:46:54 AM »
I'm taking the plunge in a few months and clearing the dye out and going grey (gulp). Any advice welcome...

Just do it. 

Gray may not be your best color, but if it is, it will look amazing.  I convinced a gal friend of mine to ditch the bottle, and she receives seemingly never ending compliments every day.  Her gray-green eyes, and youthful appearance works perfectly with the all silver gray she has now.  It DOES NOT make you look old (whatever the hell that means), despite what family/friends might tell you.  I notice a LOT of women going gray, and it can look very hot.  Good luck, and might check this out for inspiration.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/silversisters/

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2018, 06:54:35 AM »

Just do it. 

Gray may not be your best color, but if it is, it will look amazing.  I convinced a gal friend of mine to ditch the bottle, and she receives seemingly never ending compliments every day.  Her gray-green eyes, and youthful appearance works perfectly with the all silver gray she has now.  It DOES NOT make you look old (whatever the hell that means), despite what family/friends might tell you.  I notice a LOT of women going gray, and it can look very hot.  Good luck, and might check this out for inspiration.

Thanks Holyoak! Will do. I have got enough dye for a big event next month and then it's on!
I keep seeing women with fantastic grey hair, I'm just a little nervous if I will be one of them (as mine seems very wiry when it grows through) but I appreciate your encouragement... if I don't try, I will never know. My hair is dark brown so i think the grey may be softer on my face too. thx for the link but I couldn't get it to work but found this instead... https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/ditchthedye/ good inspiration. thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 06:57:19 AM by jade »

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2018, 07:42:13 AM »
You're welcome Jade...  I know this can be a big step, with a lot of doubt.  The gal I know felt this way, had family tell her it will make her look old, big mistake, etc...  She stuck with it and absolutely loves it, not to mention saving tons of $$$, and time.  She says her hair is more healthy than ever FWIW.  It looks 'honest', but very attractive, and suits her overall look very well.  I wish you the best of luck, and encouragement.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2018, 07:51:39 AM »
thank you Holyoak :) x i will keep you posted.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2018, 03:02:58 AM »

Just do it. 

Thanks Holyoak! Will do. I have got enough dye for a big event next month and then it's on!
I keep seeing women with fantastic grey hair, I'm just a little nervous if I will be one of them (as mine seems very wiry when it grows through) but I appreciate your encouragement... if I don't try, I will never know. My hair is dark brown so i think the grey may be softer on my face too. thx for the link but I couldn't get it to work but found this instead... https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/ditchthedye/ good inspiration. thanks again!

Hey @jade, you might find this thread useful: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-to-go-grey-gracefully/.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2018, 07:20:02 AM »

Just do it. 

Hey @jade, you might find this thread useful: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-to-go-grey-gracefully/.

Thanks very much mustachepungoeshere! :)

FernFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On my way!
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »
Well, I got overconfident and decided I was up to cutting off a couple of inches and adding in lots of layers ("I got this.  It's so easy!").  Super fail!!! 

Giving it a couple of days to decide what to do next as I no longer have a stylist to go to.  Probably going to have to hit up Yelp and beg someone for mercy.  hahaha

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2018, 09:16:34 AM »
I'm now shaving my head with the lowest level of clippers....can't mess it up.

spot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »
I swear I am not a paid endorser, but I've been using the Flowbee since they came out like 20 years ago. I figure I've saved thousands! It does a perfect consistent job every time. You may not want to admit your secret to friends and neighbors, but it's pure gold for MM types. https://www.flowbee.com

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2018, 09:56:34 PM »
More cuts, more confidence- cut my hair again tonight, and I really do feel like I get better each time. Any now I'm well past the return on investment period as well. Woot savings!

Paul | pdgessler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2018, 07:48:15 AM »
I am curious as to the numbers people use for their clipper guards...mine go by inches...I usually use 3/4” - 1” on the sides depending on how short I want to go and scissor the top.  How does this compare to 1, 2, 3, etc?

The numbered system refers to the number of eighths of an inch: 1 = 1/8", 2 = 1/4", etc. Depending on the brand, a guard numbered 0 or 1/2 will be 1/16".

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2018, 07:51:15 PM »
I read about the Crea clip on these forums and now my 16 yr old son or my husband cuts my hair with it. It comes with really sharp scissors. I also am almost finished going all natural, letting the dyed part grow out for months now! I have a lot of gray but my hair is so much healthier, softer, more manageable now without the dye. I also get compliments on my hair LOL
I have NO patience for hair salons. Saving a huge amount of money too by avoiding salons and dye.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2019, 08:18:16 AM »
I'm super nervous to try this, but I'm about ready for a haircut. I already do my bangs on my own (since the hairdresser always messes them up) but I'm terrified of a bad cut. I have a couple inches to go so I'm timing it so that I can do a trim and if I mess up I won't be screwed and can get a professional.

Does anyone have tips for super straight hair? My hair is stick straight naturally and I'm worried any unevenness will be really obvious.

I was also super nervous the first time I cut my own hair, but the memories of some of the terrible barber cuts I've had over the years drove me to at least give it a try. Like you, I timed my first self-cut to be right before the year-end break from school/work: I figured if it was that bad, I'd let it grow for the ~2 weeks I was off and then go get it cut professionally before going back. Turns out some of my best cuts now have been with my own hands, including a haircut I gave myself last night. You can do it!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2019, 07:35:04 PM »
My MIL has ALZ, lives with us, and hates to have her hair cut. It is silver, with lovely, soft curls, when she has some layers. I've taken her to the salon, but she balks every time. I finally decided to do it myself, with my husband close at hand in case she fought it. She didn't, and my first try was an improvement, but it didn't have enough layers to get the full curl effect. Last night, I cut it again. Zero resistance from her (a miracle) and it looks even better now. I don't care a whit about how much money it saved, I'm just glad she doesn't look like Underdog (if you're young, google it) any more.

I've been cutting DH's for about five years. He's not picky, doesn't have a ton of hair, and it looks fine. So convenient! We have ahuge shower, so I cut it in there, swab up the trimmings, then he takes a shower. Easy peasy.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2019, 07:22:49 AM »
I've been reading MMM since summer '18, and after originally going through our monthly budget looking for excess I saw that my haircuts ($22/month) would be some easy pickings for lowering expenses. Worked up the courage for a few months, and sorted through dozens of youtube videos to find some really helpful ones for my wife to watch. Over Christmas '18 we cut each others hair for the first time (she usually cuts hers 1x/year) and everyone in her family thought the cuts looked great! Now she has cut my hair twice and we have already received 100% ROI on our clipper kit.