Author Topic: Cut own hair for first time: success!  (Read 28738 times)

Unicorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cut own hair for first time: success!
« on: September 23, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »

I find going to the barber to be a huge PITA... Takes time to get over there, wait, etc., costs ~ $250 per year, and "in between" visits the hair gets pretty unruly.

So, I decided to take the plunge and obtain a Wahl clipper. I figured this is not rocket science, and the worst that could happen is I don't like it, buzz it down evenly, and wait for it to grow back. I read the excellent instructions that came with the clipper -- essentially, use 3 different guard sizes in increasing length as you go from bottom to top, and then blend between sections using a rocking motion. It worked AMAZINGLY well. My daughter did not know it was not a professional cut, and my wife is also happy. I'm really shocked at how easy it was.

A few tips and observations:

-- I waited until a time when I did not have important lectures to give or family functions to attend; not a huge deal but I did not want to have a million conversations about why I chose buzz cut or bald (if it ended up that way)

-- I was able to do most of the cut myself, but I did need my wife's to help trim the line on the back. I had two mirrors but I think this would have been very difficult to manage on my own. Maybe I will get better at this.

-- I found the Wahl clippers irritating to the skin when used without the guard (outlining the back) -- I think I will use my beard trimmer without a guard for this next time.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cut own hair for first time: success!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »
I did mine the first time about 4.5 years ago. Checked it with a colleague with an apparent fashion sense and she gave it a passing (but unexceptional) grade.

On the back, I find that placing the index finger of my left hand as a guide line (sort of a Spock-pinch or a 180° out choking attempt) and using the clippers without any guide does a more than good enough job. I freehand around the ears, also without the guard and sometimes need to clean that up with a pair of hair scissors that we bought to cut the kids' hair anyway. I like 2 on the sides/back and 5 on the top, but my wife prefers for me to use 3 & 6, so I do that [my preference is not a strong one and I don't have to look at it, so...]

Now, I save a ton of time, money, and inconvenience every year. If I have a presentation at work and realize the night-before or morning-of that I could use a trim, I can knock it out in 5-8 minutes.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 04:08:45 PM »
I cut my SO's hair because he hates going to the stylist and having to make small talk. I do a #4 guard on the bottom, #5 in the middle, and use scissors on top. Have gotten much better over the last 6 months or so (wasn't ever bad, but now a more stylish cut) and it was easy to learn. 10/10 would recommend not spending $20 to get it cut every 6 weeks.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 04:18:36 PM »
My husband's last professional haircut left a chunk near one of his temples. Luckily, she left a chunk, rather than taking out a chunk and he was able to go back and have another stylist fix it. We figured since the clippers were about the price of one haircut, the worst that could happen was that he had a buzz cut for awhile.

Well, he thought that it would be OK with just clippers, but was unhappy with how short even the 8 was. Plus, I removed his sideburns instead of trimming them... Somehow he let me try again.

Now he has a summer cut (3, 5 and hand trimmed) and a winter cut (4, 6 and hand trimmed).

Neither one of us has gotten up the nerve to cut my hair. I thought about chopping it off this summer, but he reminded me how much I HATE growing it out.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 04:43:30 PM »
My husband's last professional haircut left a chunk near one of his temples. Luckily, she left a chunk, rather than taking out a chunk and he was able to go back and have another stylist fix it. We figured since the clippers were about the price of one haircut, the worst that could happen was that he had a buzz cut for awhile.

Well, he thought that it would be OK with just clippers, but was unhappy with how short even the 8 was. Plus, I removed his sideburns instead of trimming them... Somehow he let me try again.

Now he has a summer cut (3, 5 and hand trimmed) and a winter cut (4, 6 and hand trimmed).

Neither one of us has gotten up the nerve to cut my hair. I thought about chopping it off this summer, but he reminded me how much I HATE growing it out.
How long do you keep your hair? What kind of haircut do you have now? I was terrified too, but have a fairly straightforward cut with a slight taper that goes down right past my shoulders. When my hair is wet, I part it down the middle (usually wear side part), and comb it very straight. Tie it under my chin with a hair tie, comb the "ponytail/beard" straight again, and cut a straight line. Done in 1 minute.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 06:02:54 PM »
I've had good luck cutting both my husband's and my two grandsons' hair using a 6-7-8 or a 4-5-6 and cleaning up around the ears with haircutting scissors. I was amazed at how easy it was to do. As the OP suggests, take your time, pick a day when you can relax and focus on the haircutting, and a day when there is no important occasion coming up. (So if you make any mistakes, it won't be disastrous--but really--it is easy.) I clean up their necklines with the clipper without any guards on it--works OK. I've had no luck with the trimmer device on the Wall clipper--I can't get it to do what I want. Maybe it's just me.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 11:08:48 PM »
How long do you keep your hair? What kind of haircut do you have now? I was terrified too, but have a fairly straightforward cut with a slight taper that goes down right past my shoulders. When my hair is wet, I part it down the middle (usually wear side part), and comb it very straight. Tie it under my chin with a hair tie, comb the "ponytail/beard" straight again, and cut a straight line. Done in 1 minute.
[/quote]

Ooh, I've been using the two-pigtail method but now you've got me intrigued!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 05:36:04 AM »

Ooh, I've been using the two-pigtail method but now you've got me intrigued!
[/quote]
It's basically the same! Just in 1 section instead of two.

RethinkTheRatRace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rethink The Rat Race
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:48:11 AM »
My wife and I just bought some clippers off Amazon last night. It's been hard to rationalize it, because my haircuts aren't often, and they're only $10. But, I figure it'll pay for itself in no-time. Plus, we've been moving around a little and it's been hard to find a new barber, so the logical solution is to make my wife my barber since I can't get rid of her lol. Looking forward to giving this a try and I'll come back and update.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:22:30 AM »
Following because this is something I plan on trying for the first time within the next ~month. What clippers do you guys use? Something like this?: https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Elite-Performance-Haircut-79602/dp/B00UKVNSLC/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1506352891&sr=8-1&keywords=wahl+hair+clippers+for+men

Also, besides reading the instructions that come with it, are there any other instructional videos/books/etc. any of you would recommend?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »
Following because this is something I plan on trying for the first time within the next ~month. What clippers do you guys use? Something like this?: https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Elite-Performance-Haircut-79602/dp/B00UKVNSLC/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1506352891&sr=8-1&keywords=wahl+hair+clippers+for+men

Also, besides reading the instructions that come with it, are there any other instructional videos/books/etc. any of you would recommend?

I got whatever Wahl model was at Costco at the time and did fine with just the written instructions. The tapered ear pieces do nothing for me. I always end up doing around his ears with scissors or the trimming clippers.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 11:21:06 PM »
Well, I did it. I tried out the pony beard method.

It is better than the last cut I paid for (had to go back to get it fixed because she would not accept that it was lopsided, even though it was more than two inches difference from one side to the other). I usually get layers, but I haven't been wearing my hair down hardly at all, so this might turn out to be better.

Total saved: err, about $25/yr. So, not so much frugal as hating salons.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 11:25:34 PM »
I usually get layers, but I haven't been wearing my hair down hardly at all, so this might turn out to be better.

Are you me? That's how much I pay, and I still refuse to drag myself in there. The whole experience frustrates the hell out of me.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 11:37:40 PM »
I usually get layers, but I haven't been wearing my hair down hardly at all, so this might turn out to be better.

Are you me? That's how much I pay, and I still refuse to drag myself in there. The whole experience frustrates the hell out of me.

Are you married to the guy who asked if I was his wife regarding in laws who think we are both insanely frugal and insanely naive about money?

I don't like chatting, they often ignore my specific requests and I don't like being touched by strangers unless they are good dancers. And even then they better keep their hands off when the music stops. Hair salons are basically torture chambers that I (used to) endure to get rid of split ends.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 11:54:33 PM »

Are you married to the guy who asked if I was his wife regarding in laws who think we are both insanely frugal and insanely naive about money?

I don't know, is he cute?

I don't like chatting, they often ignore my specific requests and I don't like being touched by strangers unless they are good dancers. And even then they better keep their hands off when the music stops. Hair salons are basically torture chambers that I (used to) endure to get rid of split ends.

I don't like booking in with a hairdresser and being given someone else at the last minute. I don't like sitting for 15 minutes with damp hair while four different people walk past, run their hands through my hair and say, "And what are we having done today?" I don't like that when a hairdresser eventually shows up to take to me with scissors, she can't be bothered even telling me her name.

I was only getting it cut once or twice a year anyway, and on those visits I would sit there dripping impatiently, thinking, "My hair's not that bad. I could walk out now and leave it another month or two."

Finally taking the plunge and cutting it myself? Oh, hell yes.

My husband thinks it's barbaric but his mum raves about my hair and says it looks like Kate Middleton's* (I have the long, dark curl thing going on), so I think I'm getting away with it. At the very least, Marty hasn't refused to be seen in public with me... yet.

*That is where the similarities end!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:02:28 AM by mustachepungoeshere »

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 08:31:33 AM »

It is better than the last cut I paid for (had to go back to get it fixed because she would not accept that it was lopsided, even though it was more than two inches difference from one side to the other). I usually get layers, but I haven't been wearing my hair down hardly at all, so this might turn out to be better.

Wow.  My mind is blown.  This is what I love about this forum!  So many new ideas for increasing independence, financial well-being and sanity.

I am totally trying the pony beard method the next time I decide my hair needs cutting.  I have never considered cutting my own hair but hearing that you two have had good experiences (with hair that's about my length and texture) has inspired me to give it a try.  I figure the worst that could happen is I put it up in a bun for a few days before I get it fixed, and the best outcome is I learn a new skill, save $135 a year, save 4 hours of my time and avoid the chit chat.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »
Someone just posted results of cutting their hair from a forehead pony tail, rather than a beard. I pulled mine into that position and would clearly have differences results with that method. I would say that my U is more exaggerated.

Maybe you could find comparisons online? I was happy with my single braid yesterday. Perhaps I will try another style today.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 06:26:18 PM »
I'd be careful about forehead ponytail haircuts for anyone who has wavy-curly hair. I tried to give myself one awhile back only to have hair that I couldn't quite see go wavy on me, which led to some lop-sidedness, so I had to manually trim to even out afterwards. On the bright side, having curly hair also means no one can tell if it's a bit uneven. I did have success doing my own bangs, also using a ponytail style method (followed a youtube video to get it right).

Unfortunately, now my hair is short, and not so short I can just set a clipper and go, and my one attempt at cutting it myself was less than successful, so the $ I now save on hair product is just getting spent on more frequent hair visits (that is, until I get bored with short hair & grow it out again).

(I actually enjoy going to the hair salon, but my wallet really hates it!)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 06:54:17 PM »
I did mine a couple of nights ago combining two methods.

First I did used this tutorial to trim my shorter layers: https://youtu.be/J3XV76uQaZ4?t=33s

(Note: I've time-stamped the video to start when she stops posing and starts cutting. Apparently there is a voiceover but I watched it muted.)

Then used the ponytail beard for the rest of the length. (Put all my hair in the ponytail but obviously only needed to cut the longest layer.)

Turned out great.

While we're on the topic, who is using what to cut their hair?

I have hairdressing scissors that came with our Wahl clippers but I don't think they're the best quality. Anyone have experience with better scissors? Worth buying?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 07:02:27 PM »
I did mine a couple of nights ago combining two methods.

First I did used this tutorial to trim my shorter layers: https://youtu.be/J3XV76uQaZ4?t=33s

(Note: I've time-stamped the video to start when she stops posing and starts cutting. Apparently there is a voiceover but I watched it muted.)

Then used the ponytail beard for the rest of the length. (Put all my hair in the ponytail but obviously only needed to cut the longest layer.)

Turned out great.

While we're on the topic, who is using what to cut their hair?

I have hairdressing scissors that came with our Wahl clippers but I don't think they're the best quality. Anyone have experience with better scissors? Worth buying?

That is exactly what I am using, but I am happy with them.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 03:30:12 PM »
Any women posting on this thread? 

I bought a Wahl clipper about 4 months ago and have been cutting my hair with it ever since.  I use scissors for the bangs and around my face using methods I've seen professionals use.  It's not the most flattering cut for me, but it's cheap, relatively easy to do, can be done at any time that suits me, and the cut is easy to care for.  I just use glycerin soap to wash it.  I love how quickly it dries.

Short hair is also good if you're biking and wearing a helmet.  I have much less 'helmet hair' with the shorter cut.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 02:58:10 AM »

I would have thought all the talk of ponytails, layers and pigtails would have given the game away there. Hard to believe my friend MPGH is a guy with Cate Middleton curls...

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »
I haven't paid for a haircut for almost a year now. I've cut my hair at home.  I also have a friend who is a beautician and talks endlessly about tips, complains when people don't tip enough (she feels she should get 30% or more in tip) and she told me a client tipped her $300 on a $200 hair service, "just because she did a great job". She seems to think everyone should tip like this. I understand because she's always worked in the service industry, waiting tables, etc. but I still think she has an exaggerated idea of what customers can and should do. Now I feel I just shouldn't go to hair salons anymore. I can't afford to tip 30%. So I cut and color my hair at home. I also cut my daughter's hair recently and thought it turned out great.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 04:59:59 PM »

I bought a Wahl clipper about 4 months ago and have been cutting my hair with it ever since.  I use scissors for the bangs and around my face using methods I've seen professionals use.  It's not the most flattering cut for me, but it's cheap, relatively easy to do, can be done at any time that suits me, and the cut is easy to care for.  I just use glycerin soap to wash it.  I love how quickly it dries.

Short hair is also good if you're biking and wearing a helmet.  I have much less 'helmet hair' with the shorter cut.

I have not heard of a Wahl clipper. Is it easy to use?

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 07:40:01 PM »
I don't remember if I posted here... But I posted somewhere about cutting my hair. And yes, I'm a woman. But long hair not short

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 01:29:38 PM »

Yes, it's pretty easy.  Some tips - cut a large piece from an old sheet, wrap it around you and secure it at your neck, the way a hair dresser would wrap you in a plastic apron.  Put a large piece of old sheet on the floor and a towel over the sink if you are cutting your hair in front of the bathroom sink as I do.  This makes clean up alot easier IMHO.  Even with all the sheets enough little pieces of hair are generated that I walk right into the shower after a cut.

With a 'guard' to set the length of the cut, you just move the cutter over your head from bottom to top.  You don't even have to be able to see what you're doing at the back of your head.  Look at some videos on the Wahl web site or Youtube first.  I'm new enough at it that I try to cut my hair on a day that I could go to a hair dresser for a repair job if need be - but so far I haven't needed to do that!

Good luck if you decide to go forward with trying it.

ExpatPat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »
I watched the hairdresser do a guy's short cut with a fine comb and scissors; it clicked and I got that technique down. Been cutting his now too for 10yrs besides our daughter.
Started with her as a tot because it would have been torture getting her into a salon. 2 minute snip at home.

Once she really had a full head of hair, and opinions, I had to learn some fancy cuts.
1. Study heads of hair as a geometrical puzzle. Staring at strangers is fun.
2. work only on dry dirty hair. It will tell you where it wants to fall.
3. Take your time. Put on entertainment for your victim.
4. leave a bit imperfect instead of evening up until they're bald.
5. after a couple washes later, you can make adjustments.

I am loving using the scissors like a razor to get a Superman curl: think of curling xmas ribbons.
Also thinning is an easy technique to go from afro to looser curls.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
Thank you so much for this thread!! I cut my own hair myself yesterday using the "ponytail beard" method described here. It isn't perfect, but it looks a ton better than the straggly "been almost two years because I hate going to get my hair cut" look that I had been sporting. Since I'm pretty infrequent about getting my hair cut I guess it isn't a huge money savings, but I love being able to in-source anything. And, I'm already ahead, since I think my scissors were $9 at Target. Thanks you guys!!

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »
I cut my teeth trimming on my dog. He's got long hair and I learned how to use a trimmer on him. Poor thing had some bad hair days, but I got better! People are easier than dogs.

Frank of Denmark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I do not suffer from insanity, i enjoy it.
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2017, 07:55:42 AM »
I use a thick rubber band that slip around my neck and then i check the position with a handheld mirror. When i am sure that the line defined by the rubber band is straight and in position i use the small trimmer on my electric shaver to define the line. Start by trimming downwards and away from the rubber band and then go across and last trim against the direction of the hair. This work best if you have a buzz cut. I have been doing this for almost 5 years and it works like a charm.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »
I was thinking about this thread this morning.

They say the mark of a good hair cut is how well it grows out, and I'm really happy with my latest DIY cut.

So good to know that if I get sick of the mane coming into summer, I can trim it as needed.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2017, 07:43:40 AM »
I'm still doing mine regularly every six or eight weeks with the Crea clip, Wahl clippers, and a pair of haircutting scissors. I find that I'm getting better over time, and that I like my short bob as well if not better than what I could get in a salon. It is partly the savings of money, but also the freedom and convenience that keeps me snipping away.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »
Well, I'm taking the plunge- my local Costco had a good sale on a "deluxe" Wahl clippers set (comes with 2 clippers, haircutting scissors, and some other stuff), so I'll be trying it out soon. I'll likely wait until after next weekend, since I have a wedding to go to then and don't want to have to worry about another cut if I screw mine up.

krustyburger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 10:39:21 PM »
Yeah I hate going to the hairdresser
I think the success of cutting your own hair may depend on your hair type (speaking from female viewpoint)
I've got thick, curlyish hair, I've been cutting it myself for years because the curls do whatever the fuck they want anyway so it actually doesn't matter how it's cut.
In saying that, I recently decided to do it properly, I watched a few youtube videos and used some ikea bag clip things (like a straight, long plastic clip) after seeing it in a german video to give the back some layers, and honestly this is the best haircut I've ever given myself. Youtube ftw.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2017, 07:18:57 AM »

$25 plus something like 2 to 4 hours of glorious free time.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2017, 07:24:14 AM »

Yes, it's pretty easy.  Some tips - cut a large piece from an old sheet, wrap it around you and secure it at your neck, the way a hair dresser would wrap you in a plastic apron.  Put a large piece of old sheet on the floor and a towel over the sink if you are cutting your hair in front of the bathroom sink as I do.  This makes clean up alot easier IMHO.  Even with all the sheets enough little pieces of hair are generated that I walk right into the shower after a cut.

With a 'guard' to set the length of the cut, you just move the cutter over your head from bottom to top.  You don't even have to be able to see what you're doing at the back of your head.  Look at some videos on the Wahl web site or Youtube first.  I'm new enough at it that I try to cut my hair on a day that I could go to a hair dresser for a repair job if need be - but so far I haven't needed to do that!

Good luck if you decide to go forward with trying it.

We don't even bother with the sheets or towels. We just do the clipping outside. I always have to change my shirt and get a shower after a trim anyway even with a sheet/neck wrap, so may as well skip the other rigamarole. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2017, 05:24:06 PM »
... Some tips - cut a large piece from an old sheet, wrap it around you and secure it at your neck, the way a hair dresser would wrap you in a plastic apron.  Put a large piece of old sheet on the floor and a towel over the sink if you are cutting your hair in front of the bathroom sink as I do.  This makes clean up alot easier IMHO.  Even with all the sheets enough little pieces of hair are generated that I walk right into the shower after a cut...

We don't even bother with the sheets or towels. We just do the clipping outside. I always have to change my shirt and get a shower after a trim anyway even with a sheet/neck wrap, so may as well skip the other rigamarole.

I paid 99 cents for a plastic hairdressing cape from eBay. When I cut my husband's hair I drape the end of the cape in the bathroom sink so all the hair catches there. Then I drop the hair in the bin, wipe out the sink, shake out the plastic cape over the bath, rinse the bath, all done.

I don't wear a cape for me because I'm short and my hair is long, so I just drop it in the sink as a I trim.

Llewellyn2006

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2017, 03:46:24 AM »
I've been doing my own hair for the last 17 years. But then again I'm bald so all I need to do is go crazy with a set of Wahl balder clippers without any of the attachments. Apart from the occasional gouge (haven't done that for a while now) it's dead easy and all over in about 10 minutes. Must have saved thousands of dollars over the years.

There's no way in the world my wife would even consider letting me try to cut her hair.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2017, 02:23:35 PM »
I've been watching YouTube videos and plan to cut my own hair for the first time very soon, maybe this weekend! I took cosmetology classes in High School so I know how to cut hair but never tried on myself. DH has been doing it on his own since he was a teenager. I told him he could help me out. :) I usually only get it cut 1-2 times a year but still that's $50-$100 a year I could use for something else.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2017, 11:11:21 PM »
Well, I'm taking the plunge- my local Costco had a good sale on a "deluxe" Wahl clippers set (comes with 2 clippers, haircutting scissors, and some other stuff), so I'll be trying it out soon. I'll likely wait until after next weekend, since I have a wedding to go to then and don't want to have to worry about another cut if I screw mine up.

Finally did it! I would say I got a cut that is definitely pass-able, and probably 75% of what I would hope for. I mostly followed this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/SdeGVl8z8Lc, except I like my hair a little longer on the sides than shown in the video.

My big mistake was that I used some tapered ear guards at the end of the cut to try to get an easy taper/short cut near the ears. Unfortunately, the "long" end of the taper guard was still much shorter than the surrounding hair, so I then had to use the next 15 minutes to cut the sides shorter and fade it better with the top, and I don't think I did the best of jobs there. It still looks fine and I think it's probably the way you are supposed to cut your hair, but it looked better before because of the amateur fading.

All in all, the cut got DW's approval and I'm convinced I'll get better and better over time. Score!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:00:44 AM by BuffaloStache »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »
I'd be careful about forehead ponytail haircuts for anyone who has wavy-curly hair.

I use the unicorn method (forehead pony) and I really like it for my wavy hair, though I suppose that it matters what you're aiming for. As I am super-low maintenance, I know that I'll never manage a coiffed look like Duchess Catherine, but with layers it air-dries to a cheery mop. On rare occasions that I want to look polished, I'll blow out the bang-length layers to make a neater curl.

Last night I gave myself a trim and decided that I wanted even more layering, so I did the first ponytail for the overall length, and then a second one with the crown (temples up) and did that one a bit shorter. The result is fun, at least as good as the hairdresser ever did, I was able to do it in 5 minutes and only cost me a tiny nick in my finger.

I did all this, down to the nick in the finger, a couple of days ago!

It wasn't all that long since I'd given it a trim but I've been running more and more, and my longest layers were still at my waist. Off with it!

I styled into loose curls for NYE, straightened it for work today, and the cut has stood up well.

FernFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On my way!
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2018, 11:19:25 PM »
I've been cutting mine for about a year and saved a ton of money last year.  It looks MUCH better than the cuts I had been paying for and I save so much time and don't have to sit in that chair and listen to the girl telling me how awesome 50 Shades of Grey is EVERY TIME!!!  lol 

"I like to read dark, edgy stuff.  I mean really edgy.  You probably wouldn't like it."   Ummmmm, no comment.  Nunya bizness.

Anyway, I use the forehead ponytail method to get the top layers, a back ponytail to shorten the back ends (not long enough to get everything in the forehead pony), and then I use a comb to make sure the bottom edges all blend everywhere in a straight line.  I then pull up sections and check on the overall layers for probably a lot longer than I need to, but I enjoy messing with it. :)

I also started coloring my own hair about a year ago and I get lots of compliments now.  I switched to using Henna, so no more chemicals.  With the 2 changes, I saved about $500 last year, and that was after buying over a year's supply of henna and scissors.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2018, 06:27:38 AM »
Still doing my own short bob with the crea clip, Wahl clippers, and a pair of haircutting scissors. I'm getting bolder about cutting it a little shorter with the scissors and wet hair. The very blunt, "china chop" style looks great--better than I usually got at a salon. And after experimenting with several shampoos, I'm still happiest with my VO5 for around a dollar for the shampoo and a dollar for the conditioner. I find that my own natural silver hair looks better than any of the coloring that I used to get at the salon. Really never a "bad hair day"--no roots, no fading, none of that. It isn't the  money--it's the freedom, and the fact that my hair truly looks better than it did for years.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2018, 10:04:09 AM »
I've watched this video of a lady giving herself a pixie cut like 3 times, and I'm starting to think I could do it.  I think that technique of stretching the hair between your fingers and cutting directly into the hair is key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFWjE30H0Gs

McNaMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2018, 07:22:39 PM »
My wife and I did this a year ago and haven’t gone back since. It’s been one of the best financial decisions we’ve made. We bought a set of clippers with scissors included on amazon for like $15 bucks. Cost less than a haircut & we love it! No longer have to worry about fitting in an appointment with the hairdresser or if we should tip or not.  I am a female with long hair — I just put a hair in a hairtye at the base of my neck and pull it down until I get to my desired length, then hack away at whatever is underneath. No coordination needed! And instant perfect long bob. My wife has short hair and we just take clippers to it and I snip away at the top with scissors. If you just take it easy and do a little at a time you can get the hang of it. After a few tries I felt like a pro. She is constantly complimented on her great haircut and I get to say I did it!

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2018, 07:42:18 PM »
Nice to read of all of the DIY hair cutters...  Been doing my own for over 30 years, and the pile of clippings has really shrunk over that time. 

For the ladies, if you really want to add to the savings, and you dye, GO GRAY!  I have a gal I'm keen to (47), who I told would look great with gray hair a few years back.  Her family said it will make you look "old", etc...  Wrongola pal, she looks absolutely great with beautiful fully grayed hair, and she is so glad she did the change.  Saves a TON of $$$, she says her hair is more healthy than ever, and can hardly go anywhere w/o people saying how great it looks outa the blue.  Just one fellas opinion, that gray hair can be very sexy, and attractive, and it just might be the perfect shade for you.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2018, 11:48:59 PM »
Nice to read of all of the DIY hair cutters...  Been doing my own for over 30 years, and the pile of clippings has really shrunk over that time. 

For the ladies, if you really want to add to the savings, and you dye, GO GRAY!  I have a gal I'm keen to (47), who I told would look great with gray hair a few years back.  Her family said it will make you look "old", etc...  Wrongola pal, she looks absolutely great with beautiful fully grayed hair, and she is so glad she did the change.  Saves a TON of $$$, she says her hair is more healthy than ever, and can hardly go anywhere w/o people saying how great it looks outa the blue.  Just one fellas opinion, that gray hair can be very sexy, and attractive, and it just might be the perfect shade for you.

You have a gal you're keen to ... ?

To meet? Greet? Tweet?

To phone? Clone? Bone?

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »
I'm super nervous to try this, but I'm about ready for a haircut. I already do my bangs on my own (since the hairdresser always messes them up) but I'm terrified of a bad cut. I have a couple inches to go so I'm timing it so that I can do a trim and if I mess up I won't be screwed and can get a professional.

Does anyone have tips for super straight hair? My hair is stick straight naturally and I'm worried any unevenness will be really obvious.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2018, 09:45:57 AM »
Crea clip/Wahl clippers/haircutter scissors. There are youtube videos, some more helpful than others.

Spartans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2018, 10:03:08 AM »
I've been cutting my own hair since 2010.  Started with a friend each cutting each other's then I just learned how to fade it by myself with a mirror.  Highly recommend a Wahl.