Author Topic: Cut Cable/Internet from $200/month to $42/month  (Read 3570 times)

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
Cut Cable/Internet from $200/month to $42/month
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
I cancelled our cable not too long ago (fancy package with premium channels that my husband wanted originally), which brought our bill from $200/month (face punch alert) to $70/month for just high speed internet.  That still seemed high just for internet, so I called again today and negotiated a package with cable and internet for $55. 

However, I really didn't want cable, so I called back and negotiated more and got our high speed internet down to $42, including the fees and such.  After additional research, I realized that $42 includes a modem rental of $7/month, so I'm going to research which modems are compatible and purchase my own right now.

The rep I spoke with said it's a promotional rate, but I can call back every 6 months and renew it, so I've added an alert in my calendar so I don't miss it. 

I can't believe it was that easy to save over $150/month.  I know this is MMM 101, but I'm still stoked!  Now to work on my husband about the parking space...

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Cut Cable/Internet from $200/month to $42/month
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »
You can't go wrong with a Motorola SB5101U or SB6121... should be supported by nearly every carrier, too.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:04:26 AM »
You can't go wrong with a Motorola SB5101U or SB6121... should be supported by nearly every carrier, too.

Awesome, thank you!  I'll double check those with my carrier and start looking!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
Great news!

I'm hoping I can do the same. Working on the mobile plan first!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
Great news!

I'm hoping I can do the same. Working on the mobile plan first!

I'll be following your thread!  My husband gets his mobile free and I get a discount, so I pay about $70/month for unlimited minutes/texts/data.  I'm considering the AirVoice thing but haven't yet convinced myself.  I don't have a landline and I talk to my family members a TON so I don't think I'd end up saving much money because I would have to get the more expensive plan, plus get that separate thing for data. 

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 03:23:42 PM »
I'm considering the AirVoice thing but haven't yet convinced myself.  I don't have a landline and I talk to my family members a TON so I don't think I'd end up saving much money because I would have to get the more expensive plan, plus get that separate thing for data.

I actually just got the VOIPo from looking through IP Daley's thread. It was $185 with taxes for 24 months and I found a code online for an extra month free (PM me for my referral code if you want for an extra month for free for both of us). I talk to my family a lot too and they're in Canada, which makes it hard to find a deal that works. But VOIPo gave me "unlimited" minutes (I'm guessing it's around 5,000) and it worked out of the box! So now I'm using my cell phone only when I'm out of the house. I might be able to keep my Ting bill around $14/month now versus paying $85/month before! I'm super excited for this, haha :)