Poll

Do you prefer to CrossFit on your own or with a group?

On your own
5 (35.7%)
With a group
9 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: CrossFit for free  (Read 8459 times)

jly224

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • jlyblog
CrossFit for free
« on: September 11, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »
CrossFit Boxes charge anywhere from $100 to $200 + per month to work out with a group of like minded individuals. I took the bait and paid my dues for a good 6 months before deciding my monthly dues of $165 per month was not getting me much closer to FI, however it was getting me rapidly in the best shape of my life. In order to have my cake and eat it too I took the plunge and signed up for the weekend Level 1 certification class which cost me $1000. After successfully completing the course I'm now able to coach three one hour classes per week covering my dues. After coaching for over a year now I'm easily paid for the cost of the course in saved box dues. What are some of your strategies?

Here is a description of one of the benchmark work outs in CrossFit named Fran. You can see how this will get you into shape quickly. http://jlyblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/fran/

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
Re: CrossFit for free
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:24:42 PM »
My strategy was taking the CF Level 1 course, and building my own home gym.  Olympic Lifting Platform, Squat Rack, Mens/Womens Olympic Bars, Bumper Plates, KB's, DB's, Pull-up bar made from pipe, bench, Safety Squat Bar, Landmine, Prowler, etc (a few things were on Craigslist).

In the 6 years I've had that setup, I'm sure that it's more than paid for itself... and that sort of equipment will last a lifetime.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:28:39 PM »
Awesome!  My husband is considering doing the same thing.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:37:04 PM »

Word of advice:  Unless he's 100% sure that he CAN and WANTS to train people at a local gym, don't take the course.  90% of the people that take that course already know way more information about training people, because the course attracts folks that love lifting.  I'm not a personal trainer, but being interested in lifting and crossfit, I learned so much from the internet and from books... and the course was a joke. 

For me, personally, it probably would have been more effective to put that $1000 toward the home gym.  But, I digress.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »

Word of advice:  Unless he's 100% sure that he CAN and WANTS to train people at a local gym, don't take the course.  90% of the people that take that course already know way more information about training people, because the course attracts folks that love lifting.  I'm not a personal trainer, but being interested in lifting and crossfit, I learned so much from the internet and from books... and the course was a joke. 

For me, personally, it probably would have been more effective to put that $1000 toward the home gym.  But, I digress.

But you are certified to teach. You can't advertise to teach someone CF unless you are. So it was a good investment if you are making money training people.

Those who try to train people using CF and are not certified and called out bigtime.

I love the open source system.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »

But you are certified to teach. You can't advertise to teach someone CF unless you are. So it was a good investment if you are making money training people.

Right, I think my post came out wrong.  I think that a lot of people take the course just to "learn more about Crossfit"... and are not lining themselves up to actually teach.  This was my case, but I took it years ago.  I *would* teach it... but I have flexibility issues and injuries that would make it hard for me to be an effective coach.

Those who try to train people using CF and are not certified and called out bigtime.

Only if they're using the "Crossfit" trademarked name.  The type of training that they're doing is not completely new to the world, though.  People have been preaching strength + heavy metcons for a long while before Crossfit ever showed up.

jly224

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • jlyblog
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »

I wish I had that kind of individual drive. For me I need the energy and competitiveness that comes with working out with a group. I get to know the individuals, their strengths, their weaknesses, and who I can best compete with. Everyday when I walk into the box I look at the board and see whose score I'm going to try to beat.

jly224

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • jlyblog
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »

I have to say it has been deeply enriching to see people come in, who may have never done anything athletic in their life, put their trust in their own will power and our coaching and then see it pay off. I've seen one guy lose 60 lbs, another 30 lbs, multiple women get their first pull up, and climb a rope. People are constantly coming in and doing things they never thought they could do.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »
I borrowed "You Are Your Own Gym" from the library and made a "let-me-up" bar from a broom. Total cost: $0 + trip to library.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »
My neighbors are CF nuts. I really like what I know about it....but she gave herself a hernia... yikes.

jly224

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • jlyblog
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »
CrossFit definitely attracts its fair share of nuts. I've been injured myself a few times will CrossFitting, but I believe that injuries are part of doing anything. You can't learn how to ride a bike with out falling down a time or two. The only way to 100% avoid injury is to stay seated on the couch. Even that can lead to problems down the road ie high/low blood pressure, heart attack, obesity, muscle weakness etc.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 03:20:28 PM »
I meant nuts in a good way, like passionate. I didn't mean to disparage.

I love the idea of making money off a hobby or activity that would normally cost someone money. That is the epitome of MMM! Congrats on that.

I try to do this in all aspect of life, I think this concept deserves its own thread.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 12:19:34 PM »
I've been injured myself a few times will CrossFitting, but I believe that injuries are part of doing anything. You can't learn how to ride a bike with out falling down a time or two. The only way to 100% avoid injury is to stay seated on the couch. Even that can lead to problems down the road ie high/low blood pressure, heart attack, obesity, muscle weakness etc.

I just saw this article the other day, and made me think of this thread.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/545200-the-fall-of-fitness/

The Dark Side

Uncle Rhabdo represents a character in the CrossFit community and is short for rhabdomyolysis, a kidney condition most commonly induced by excessive exercise, according to Heather Gillespie, a sports medicine physician from UCLA. The potentially life-threatening state, which can also be caused by underlying genetics, occurs when muscle breaks down and myoglobin, the biproduct of muscle fibers, is released into the blood stream, essentially clogging up the kidneys and poisoning them.

“If you’re dehydrated, which sort of goes along with rhabdo, you can’t clear these toxins, the kidney can’t filter the byproduct,” Gillespie says. It can lead to kidney failure and electrolyte imbalances that can ultimately affect your heart.

Uncle Rhabdo was originally invented to shed light on “the inappropriate use of intensity,” according to CrossFit’s Training Guide.

jly224

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • jlyblog
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »
This is a great point to bring up and one that is discussed quite often. Rhabdomyolysis is a very serious condition that does happen. I believe that those most prone to its afflictions are former athletes who may have been out of the game for a while. They have muscle memory and drive to push themselves much harder than an ordinary individual. Unfortunately due to time away from intensive conditioning their muscles are no longer able to operate at those levels for sustained periods of time. This leads to a breakdown of the muscle fibers themselves,

As a trainer I seek to minimize the possibility by encouraging proper hydration, and a slow increase in intensity as the athlete becomes acclimated with the workouts. In our box we have our newer athletes train in "Active Rest" which means a lighter weight, less intervals or smaller time limits, and encourage breaks via interim coaching during a workout to correct form.

Unfortunately many whom are interested in trying out CrossFit never allow themselves to dip their toe in the water after hearing of these types of concerns. I argue that while Rhabdo is a very dangerous condition, we do everything in our power to prevent it, and have not seen a case in our gym.

For those of you interested in reading more about rhabdomyolysis please see the link below.
http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ_Ray_rhabdo1.pdf

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »
There's always some sort of scare tactic... so the answer is to keep hydrated? Isn't that the case with anything you do in life?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »
I trade my time for a membership with the owner of my gym.  It mostly involves cleaning once a week along with tidying up the place whenever I am there.  Amounts to about $15/hr.  And most of it is time I am at the gym anyway.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 02:59:44 PM »
Just get a partner to do some HIIT with you on a consistent basis.  I'm definitely not in the crossfit group... I personally think the whole culture is pretty brainwashed (forging elite fitness?  more like lining the pockets)... gimme a break.  They make HIIT into a timed game and put a price tag... that's just my take anyway.  I agree with everything here, http://gawker.com/5928989/the-problems-with-crossfit

jly224

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • jlyblog
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »
Agreed, it's way too expensive, that's why I coach in order to work out with a group for free. And I agree that CrossFit attracts its fair share of nuts as does any other sport / fitness activity.
http://deadspin.com/health-is-bad-for-you-my-weird-weekend-at-torontos-fi-510996144

But I love being around like minded individuals who like to push themselves to be better.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
I've got a few kettlebells, some XC skis, a kayak, a bike, a weighted vest, a rebounder, and some running shoes. 

It works for me.

Annual cost...$80 for the ski pass.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 11:11:27 PM »
Just get a partner to do some HIIT with you on a consistent basis.  I'm definitely not in the crossfit group... I personally think the whole culture is pretty brainwashed

This!  We do HIIT workouts at home or in the park across the street.  They are sort of crossfit-inspired (BF used to have a membership), and I have gotten fantastic results.  But the culty-mentality around crossfit kind of creeps me out, especially the subset of people who seem to take crossfit+paleo diet to an almost religious level.

jly224

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • jlyblog
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
Here's another excellent read on the topic of Rhabdomyolysis posted today on Tabata times.

http://www.tabatatimes.com/18498/

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 09:06:50 PM »
Excellent!!

My crossfit gym membership was $120 per month (for twice a month + a free Saturday). I recently switched to pay as I go and bought a few things for my garage gym. So, I cut the rate in half ($15 x 4) by going once a week, working out one day a week at home, and then going in on the free Saturday.

Now, I have a friend working out with me in my garage gym and that is exactly what I needed! We work out Wed and Fri together and it has been going really well. I just dropped into my crossfit gym recently and realized I hadn't been there in a month.

I need to add one more at-home day, but overall things are pretty good. I did consider getting my Level 1 Cert, but my gym only had evening hours available to me and I didn't want to miss family time. But, I do think it's an excellent idea!