Author Topic: Created a work uniform  (Read 7972 times)

screwit

• Stubble
Created a work uniform
« on: October 17, 2016, 01:33:06 AM »
Ok,  so it is probably not as cheap or minimal as other people (especially guys) get,  but I've finally created my work "uniform".

Over the last few years my work look had been very standardised,  two styles of pant,  two or three styles of blouses,  blazers. But in different colours and patterns,  mostly all mixable but not always.

Then I read about a female art director who wore the same thing every day and thought YES!  http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/a10441/why-i-wear-the-same-thing-to-work-everday/

So when i went back to work after maternity leave I spent a few weeks looking for "the shirt" that would become my uniform and i finally found it. It isn't cheap at 45€, but i feel so comfortable and confident in it.  I have currently 5 copies of it (but may need one or two more because sometimes travelling throws out the weekend washing schedule). I also have 3 pairs of identical black pants which were only 30€ each.

Make up is a minimum - a bit of bronzer/blush, eyeliner mascara and brow gel and I wear earrings but no other jewellery.

It takes me 3.5 minutes to get ready these days and I always feel well dressed and looking good.  This look will take me through autumn and winter for the next 2 years but I will probably go for a lighter colour once spring/summer rolls around.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Created a work uniform
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »
That must be a wonderful feeling!

I'm in the process of doing the same thing - I can get away with tshirts at work but I'd prefer to be a little more formal, so I'm still hunting for the perfect shirt.  I did manage to find pants that work great for casual wear, work, and are still lightweight and stretch enough for dance as well so I almost never wear anything else (jeans for working on cars, basically).

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 10:07:32 AM »
I'm doing the same thing with the same trigger - returning from maternity leave.  I can fit my old sweaters and blazers, but I need new pants and shirts to accommodate postpartum pooch and nursing boobs.  I am going to buy multiples of a pair of pants and a shirt and call it a day.  I already exclusively wear black, white, gray and navy to work so I doubt anyone will even notice.

What type of shirt did you pick?

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 01:08:05 PM »
I'm in the process of doing the same thing - I can get away with tshirts at work but I'd prefer to be a little more formal, so I'm still hunting for the perfect shirt.  I did manage to find pants that work great for casual wear, work, and are still lightweight and stretch enough for dance as well so I almost never wear anything else (jeans for working on cars, basically).

The stretch factor is a huge one for me as well. Both the shirt and pants are stretchy and I can do some basic yoga when I need to relax my back. I actually was discussing that with a colleague today - she'd been in a suit again for the first time in months and was complaining about how horribly uncomfortable it was.

What type of shirt did you pick?

It's this one: http://www.ullapopken.de/de/modell/taft-shirt-mit-schalkragen-halbarm-patchlook-selection/683894/
i know it's an unusal style and I rejected it a few times mentally before I even tried it on, but once I had it on it was perfect. The sleeves and back are jersey and the front is like a fake taffetta, so it looks kind of fancy but is still really comfortable (and wipes off stains without a problem!). The collar is really unusual, but I can kind of poof it up a little and I look like and evil Disney Queen... mwhahahahahahah.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 01:42:25 PM »
It's this one: http://www.ullapopken.de/de/modell/taft-shirt-mit-schalkragen-halbarm-patchlook-selection/683894/
i know it's an unusal style and I rejected it a few times mentally before I even tried it on, but once I had it on it was perfect. The sleeves and back are jersey and the front is like a fake taffetta, so it looks kind of fancy but is still really comfortable (and wipes off stains without a problem!). The collar is really unusual, but I can kind of poof it up a little and I look like and evil Disney Queen... mwhahahahahahah.

So its basically a fancy t shirt with a spill proof front? Genius!

I have a work uniform, but its not quite so standard. T shirt or button down, jeans, and cardigan. I mix it up with scarves, but maybe next time I find a shirt I really like I'll buy a half dozen of them. I like not having to think in the morning.

chrisgermany

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 03:21:10 PM »
Look at  www.daskleineblaue.de
One dress for a year - and it worked.

Before I retired I had created my uniform, too.
5 suits with shirts and scarfs.
I could mix and match with other shirts and scarfs.
Every year I purchased a new suit + shirt and retired one.
Great value for money.

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 04:46:19 PM »
I have a uniform too....scrubs! :) Sometimes there are perks of a healthcare job. Though I do have to say with adjustable pants like scrubs are you don't realize your weight gain (or loss) on a daily basis. It's easy to find a few extra pounds when you try on those pants you haven't worn since last year.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 05:04:03 AM »
Look at  www.daskleineblaue.de
One dress for a year - and it worked.

I've heard of a few people doing that.  I think it's impressive but know it wouldn't work for me because there is still far top much decision making involved. They are trying to make daily different looks and use a lot of other items of clothing Anna accessories to achieve that. I think it's brilliant what they do but far too much effort for me ;)

Your suit retirement cycle sounds excellent and I think I might try and introduce it to my husands work wardrobe!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 06:08:29 AM »
Congrats! A short morning routine is so helpful with babies.

I now have a uniform too only it was by accident.  I brought out my fall/ winter clothes to discover that I literally have four colors- red, blue, brown, cream.  Instead of being bummed, I thought "well, I guess I really like these colors!  Getting ready will be easy!"  And it has been! haha.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 09:49:36 AM »
http://www.theviviennefiles.com/p/starting-from-scratch_15.html

I wish I had known this yrs ago. Talk about a life uniform.

TrMama

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 12:04:41 PM »
I did this recently too. It's freed up a nice amount of brain power both in the morning and when I have to buy clothes.

I work in a more casual office, so my uniform is dark jeans and a button down shirt. Shirts all have some lycra in them for stretch and must not require ironing. When it's cold I add a wool sweater (I knit and have a ton of these already). In the summer I'll switch to sleeveless button down shirts.

Easy peasy.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 01:45:05 PM »
Bravo! I see some of the guys at the office wearing the same thing everyday, and have never thought it was weird.

When I was a teenager, I tended to gravitate towards one outfit that looked good on me, and thought it was fine to wear it often. But then my dad shamed me one day with, "People are saying you look like he11, why don't you wear some different clothes?!" It is easier to pull this off when you're older.

ubermom4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »
Thanks for posting this idea and the article. Extremely helpful ideas here. I really, really like them. Years ago I read an article about the closets and shopping habits of women that changed my thinking. It stated that women tend to buy individual pieces that they like by themselves. Then when they go in to their closets, nothing goes together and they 'have nothing to wear'. This was totally me. This particular article suggested to only by clothes in one or 2 colors that suit your personal coloring or that you really like. Then your pieces in the color will all 'go together'.  This means that in the stores you can like a garment but can say to yourself that it is not in your color so you don't buy it. Helps to simplify everything. This post is extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing!!!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 04:15:24 PM »
I admire you so much! I always think this is one of my goals, but I like color diversity. I have zero problem wearing the exact same cut of t-shirt 100 days in a row, but you better believe I buy it in 6 colors at once. Anyone else share the bright color love, but have a "uniform" that works for you?

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 10:35:15 AM »
<snip>I did this recently too. It's freed up a nice amount of brain power both in the morning and when I have to buy clothes.

the brain power thing is not to be underestimated! I read a book a while back called Willpower and it discusses how decision-making is energy-consumptive and exhausts you.

<snip>
 This particular article suggested to only by clothes in one or 2 colors that suit your personal coloring or that you really like. Then your pieces in the color will all 'go together'.  This means that in the stores you can like a garment but can say to yourself that it is not in your color so you don't buy it. Helps to simplify everything. This post is extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing!!!

I started two years ago with the Capsule Closet idea and found a closet planning worksheet which was extremely helpful. It helped me focus on what styles I wanted, the colours and the brands I tended to gravitate to.
http://www.un-fancy.com/capsule-wardrobe-101/free-wardrobe-planner/
I then used pinterest pretty heavily, spending time on the websites only of those shops/brands I had identified and I pulled together a complete wardrobe over a few weeks. I used this board as my go to tool when evaluating clothes purchases. I've made a few more since then for different seasons etc and it's how I still plan my casual wardrobe.

I admire you so much! I always think this is one of my goals, but I like color diversity. I have zero problem wearing the exact same cut of t-shirt 100 days in a row, but you better believe I buy it in 6 colors at once. Anyone else share the bright color love, but have a "uniform" that works for you?

Actually I love colour. While I wear the same black top and pants, I have blazers in all different colours and styles, I wear earrings from hot pink to turquoise and have shoes from red to purple to mint green. There will be days when everything I have on is black, but most days there is some significantly colourful statement going on. What I don't do, and have never been very good at, is mixing patterns and textures, so it is mostly blocks of colours in reasonably similar fabrics.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 05:37:11 AM »

Work "uniform" in the office is a button-down shirt and jeans.  Field uniform switches to a button-down fishing shirt for the big front pockets, which I often need.

Wide variety of color in the shirts.

NO IRONING.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 07:35:21 AM »
A few years ago I found my perfect work shirt. In C&A no less, so at 20 euro, pretty cheap as well. Good fit, nice cut, slightly stretchy material, half-length sleeves and just a few sewn on buttons for decoration on the top half - it looked like a shirt but was really a pull over the top of your head top. I wore the first one for a few weeks and then went back and bought one in every colour. And the next year, when they had different colours, I got some of those, too. And then they stopped making it. I'm still bummed about that because one after the other, my shirts have been worn out. I've even dyed a few of them a couple of times to try to extend the life a bit but I'm down to my last three now, two of them looking kind of worn and the other one, annoyingly, I caught on a nail and now has a hole in it. That Ulla Popken one looks pretty good though - I might try and find a shop to stop in and try one on sometime. My new job isn't as formal as the old one but I'd like to keep one or two more formal outfits in rotation for a while yet.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 08:53:56 AM »
I'm living in Land's end A-line dresses, with cardigan, black thights and pumps. Horrible conservative look, but it leaves room for a not so conservative personality.  A simple dress like this (http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-sleeveless-godet-dress/id_302544?sku_0=::A6J) can look formal, but still be dressy enough to not require me to change for dinner if I'm at conference, and I might even go dancing in it. Also, it is comfortable enough to sleep in if I need a nap. I use the same dresses during holidays and camping trips, and they are really good quality. It can take a week of wearing them day and night before anyone can tell they are dirty, and even after two years of hard use and frequent machine wash at 40-60 C, they look almost like new. I have had to get some thinner ones  from other shops for warmer weather, but those don't keep so well. I travel up to 50 days a year for work, and streamlining the wardrobe has saved me a lot of hassle in packing and unpacking.

I've kept some of my old clothes; jeans and tunics, but am slowly realizing that those things just collect dust and take up space. Both I and the kids got rid of a lot of clothes today.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 12:01:38 PM »
I buy skirts and bottoms that work in black and brown, then buy sweaters and jackets to switch out most of the year.  I've found lots of great jackets and sweaters at Costco.  When I find something I like I buy multiples.

Perhaps my wardrobe is not very exciting, but I always feel professionally dressed and the approach has saved me tons of money.

Spawnstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 01:54:01 PM »
I usually wear scrubs, but this fall I started to work part time as a school doctor, which means I have to wear my own clothes. Big step when you're used to work in a comfy white pajama...
I created my own uniform, stretchy jeans with black tops. And a chambray shirt as a kind of white (but in reality blue) coat.
I liked the idea so much I'm using the same "uniform" (sans shirt) even at home. But the moment I enter the door I switch jeans for really soft sweatpants...

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 04:14:57 PM »

Kind of maybe? I limit my color palette to make mixing and matching easy but have a wider range of colors than I've seen described in a capsule wardrobe. Basically, I cut out anything that didn't look good on me (almost anything with yellow in it) and anything that I wasn't that crazy about anyway (pastels). That left me with everything from bright to dark in blue-greens, blues, purples, and reds, which are unsurprisingly all my favorite colors. I go black or grey for neutrals as brown isn't as flattering. And dark wash jeans. For work, I generally grab jeans and a t-shirt and then I usually throw on a sweater, hoodie, jacket, or shawl over it. The reds don't mix as well, but I love red too much to give it up so I just make sure to have enough neutral tops and bottoms to match with those.

Heleen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 12:48:56 AM »
This topic is fun and made me think about my own clothes.
I haven't bought clothes (except for a dress to wear to weddings/parties and underwear) in the last 3 years or so because I don't want to wear clothes that are made under bad circumstances by people earning too little money. I now have a very minimalistic wardrobe; for work I have 2 pairs of pants, 4 tops and a blazer (I work 3 days a week). Everything in my closet is black, grey, white, blue or light pink and goes well together. I also have some older clothes that I only wear on days off or clothes that are not suitable for work (summer clothes). So I do have kind of a work uniform and also a home uniform. :D

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 04:05:13 AM »
Thanks for posting this idea and the article. Extremely helpful ideas here. I really, really like them. Years ago I read an article about the closets and shopping habits of women that changed my thinking. It stated that women tend to buy individual pieces that they like by themselves. Then when they go in to their closets, nothing goes together and they 'have nothing to wear'. This was totally me. This particular article suggested to only by clothes in one or 2 colors that suit your personal coloring or that you really like. Then your pieces in the color will all 'go together'.  This means that in the stores you can like a garment but can say to yourself that it is not in your color so you don't buy it. Helps to simplify everything.

This is exactly what I do, it has made getting dressed so much easier.:)

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 07:03:44 AM »
I've been doing this for years, but it's easier for guys.

Five khaki slacks, five black shirts and black sleeveless wool underlayers,
rotated Monday through Friday.  No ironing.

Except for the most formal events, this is suitable for almost any function.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 01:57:36 AM »
I'm loving hearing everyone else's stories... keep 'em coming!

A few years ago I found my perfect work shirt. In C&A no less, so at 20 euro, pretty cheap as well. Good fit, nice cut, slightly stretchy material, half-length sleeves and just a few sewn on buttons for decoration on the top half - it looked like a shirt but was really a pull over the top of your head top. I wore the first one for a few weeks and then went back and bought one in every colour. And the next year, when they had different colours, I got some of those, too. And then they stopped making it. I'm still bummed about that because one after the other, my shirts have been worn out. I've even dyed a few of them a couple of times to try to extend the life a bit but I'm down to my last three now, two of them looking kind of worn and the other one, annoyingly, I caught on a nail and now has a hole in it. That Ulla Popken one looks pretty good though - I might try and find a shop to stop in and try one on sometime. My new job isn't as formal as the old one but I'd like to keep one or two more formal outfits in rotation for a while yet.

C&A is one of my go to stores but these days the stock rotation is too fast for me to be able to use them for this kind of project :( I actually have a few other shirts that I was planning on using for a pattern and getting tailor made shirts. My local seamstress quoted 50€ to make the shirts, but I would have had to get the material myself. Had I not found this shirt, I would have gone that route - a little more expensive, but worth it to me if I had the perfect top that I was comfortable and confident in.

This topic is fun and made me think about my own clothes.
I haven't bought clothes (except for a dress to wear to weddings/parties and underwear) in the last 3 years or so because I don't want to wear clothes that are made under bad circumstances by people earning too little money. I now have a very minimalistic wardrobe; for work I have 2 pairs of pants, 4 tops and a blazer (I work 3 days a week). Everything in my closet is black, grey, white, blue or light pink and goes well together. I also have some older clothes that I only wear on days off or clothes that are not suitable for work (summer clothes). So I do have kind of a work uniform and also a home uniform. :D

I have this vague guilt that I'm buying unethical clothing and i really do need to focus more on that and actually do the research to find out. I found an underwear manufacturer here, Mey, where all the sewing is done in Germany (although I'm not sure about where the fabric is produced) and most of my shoes are made in Europe. But for most of the rest I haven't been paying enough attention.... that's something I should focus on now.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 08:31:55 AM »

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 11:11:08 AM »

http://www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/about-us

Check out the colours !

Oh dear.  I kind of wish you hadn't shown me that. ..... but when summer comes around and I have to get out of the black I will be coming back to that site!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 11:12:05 AM »
http://www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/about-us

Check out the colours !

I'm so glad it's not US based. The temptation would be too much.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »
I'm loving hearing everyone else's stories... keep 'em coming!

C&A is one of my go to stores but these days the stock rotation is too fast for me to be able to use them for this kind of project :( I actually have a few other shirts that I was planning on using for a pattern and getting tailor made shirts. My local seamstress quoted 50€ to make the shirts, but I would have had to get the material myself. Had I not found this shirt, I would have gone that route - a little more expensive, but worth it to me if I had the perfect top that I was comfortable and confident in.
Such a simple idea - why didn't I think of that? I'll definitely hang on to one of the old shirts and see if I can source some similar material. Actually learning to sew is almost at the top of the list of things I'm going to do soon, maybe I'll even make one myself!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 10:43:55 PM »
90% of my tops are black.  I also own a black and gray striped one and a medium purple colored one.

All bottoms must match the black tops.

All warm layer pieces must be able to be worn over the black tops as well.

My dresses are: black, navy, and black and white striped.

All my shoes are black, except one maroon pair of converse.

SO simple.  Only a few layering pieces cannot be worn with the purple top...otherwise, the rest all mix and matches very well.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!