Author Topic: Costco Gold Membership deal via Living Social, we took the plunge  (Read 17207 times)

thos_w

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SWLing Post
Costco Gold Membership deal via Living Social, we took the plunge
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:01:08 PM »
Hi, All,

My wife and I are frugal zealots and have been financially independent since 2007 (at age 36). We've always resisted getting a membership to Sam's Club as we've found better deals via other retailers. But we've always been tempted by Costco. MMM and many of you on the list have touted Costco. I also have a healthy respect for Clark Howard who even named one of his pets "Costco."

The closest Costco to us is 1.5 hours away, but we knew for quarterly visits, it might be justifiable. Yesterday, via the Clark Howard Show, we learned about a membership deal for new members only. (That's us!)

The deal runs like this--for $55 you get:
Gold Star Membership for 1 year
$20 Costco Cash Card
Exclusive coupons good for three free Kirkland Signature™ products ($30.97 value)
One apple pie
One rotisserie chicken
One 30-pack of two-ply bath tissue (score!)
And "much more!"

We're not sure what the "much more" is and we're not banking on it, but heck...we decided to pull the trigger. I believe the sale is valid for 5-6 more days (I could be wrong). Here's the link:

https://t.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846?ref=email-jp&rpi=172631428&rui=204572574

Again--very important--this is only good for new members. It won't work for a renewal. Just thought I'd share.

[Update: NoraLenderbee mentions that the deal includes an "identity guard" service. First three months are free, so cancel w/in first 90 days. We'll cancel it immediately--identity guards are completely useless.]

Cheers,
Thomas
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:23:46 PM by thos_w »

Dalmuti

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Costco Gold Membership deal via Living Social, we took the plunge
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 03:21:11 PM »
We're taking the plunge on this too.  We used a similar deal at Sam's Club and felt like we got a good deal on the promo even though continuing the membership isn't likely to be a good deal for us.  There weren't many prices there that beat the prices we get with our moderate amount of couponing at our regular grocery.  We also know a lot of people who swear by Costco, so we're hoping we'll be more impressed with the prices there.  We're beginning to suspect that prices don't vary that much across the nation at these warehouse stores.  If this is the case, then people like us who live in low cost of living areas aren't likely to be as impressed by them as people who live in higher COL areas.  Either way, this promo is great way for us to try it out and see.

thos_w

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SWLing Post
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 03:27:13 PM »
Yes--we're fortunate to live in an area with reasonable cost of living. We've visited Sam's on a number of occasions with my parents (who've been members forever) and could easily shop there with their membership whenever. Sam's, though, has few organic options and it seems like everything in bulk is name brand.

I like the fact that Costco has such a clean rep; they treat their employees well, who in turn, treat the customers well. We have yet to step foot in one, but will probably use the new membership in the coming weeks, once we formulate a list of stuff to buy in advance.

We figure if we're not using the membership regularly, we'll plan to buy a few Costco gift cards before the one year is up. Here's hoping it's a hit!

-Thomas

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 04:45:20 PM »
I bought mine with your link:

It gives you the item for free if you get 3 others to buy. So here is the link it gave me if anyone wants to share the wealth:

<Link Removed use one below>

[UPDATE:
You guys are awesome! I got the membership for free through the referral link. If anyone else posts their link. I suggest using that before linking to the one above.]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:17:34 PM by flyingcircle »

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »
The offer includes an "identity guard" service for which you'll be automatically charged $13.49 per month (first 3 months are free). So be sure to cancel that service within 90 days.

thos_w

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SWLing Post
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 05:21:01 PM »
Wow!  Thank you!  Yes, I'll make sure I'm not signed up for the identity guard. Those services are useless.
I've amended the original message. Many thanks!
-Thomas
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:24:28 PM by thos_w »

hcar86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 10:04:33 PM »
So after reading through all these comments, we decided to do it too!  We'd been thinking about it for awhile and this deal makes it seem like a good time to try!  I would so appreciate it if you use my link if you decide to go for it.  If three people use it, I will get it for free.  I will definitely update if that happens!  Thanks!
https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=81419919&rpi=172851490

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 03:44:14 AM »
Do y'all think I would qualify as a new member if I had a membership, but it's currently expired?  I've been meaning to join again, and it would be great to save some cash in the process.

thos_w

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SWLing Post
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 05:43:10 AM »
Hmmm...I'm not sure if you could get a good answer to that question until you present your membership voucher at Costco. It may be risky--especially if you're signing up with the same address. I didn't read any fine print regarding membership standing because it didn't have any impact on me.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 06:19:28 AM »
My address has changed.  Hmm.  Well, I need to join again anyway, so I might as well try.

fujiters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 06:59:26 AM »
Thanks for the tip! I just joined too (through hcar86's link). Posting my link too. I'll update and remove the link if I end up getting 3 referrals.

edit: link removed. Got mine for free! Thanks everyone!!!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:14:16 PM by fujiters »

kkblock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 07:08:54 AM »
I just did it using hcar86's link also and am posting my link as well. :) Thanks for posting!

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=81784181&rpi=172878008

*edit: I just need one more to get it for free. I would appreciate anyone signing up to use my link and I'll post if I get it! Thanks everyone!
*Edit 2: got last one! Thanks all!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:37:34 AM by kkblock »

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 01:47:21 PM »
I bought with Fujitsers link

and here is my mine if those above me have already gotten theirs free: will update when Ive gotten three.

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=38487021&rpi=172939156

hcar86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 04:34:24 PM »
Thanks so much fujiters and kkblock!  Just need one more purchase and I'm set! 

*Edit - someone just bought from my link, so be sure to use someone else's link if you decide to buy.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:02:59 AM by hcar86 »

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 07:20:22 PM »
The offer includes an "identity guard" service for which you'll be automatically charged $13.49 per month (first 3 months are free). So be sure to cancel that service within 90 days.

I just brought my livingsocial voucher to my local costco, everything went smooth, got my $20 card on the spot, and was told the rest of the coupons would be mailed to me. I was not forced to signup for the identity guard. According to the lady, If i signup, I get three months, but there is no requirement to sign up so I wont be as I dont see much use for the service.

My referral:
https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=38487021&rpi=172939156
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:44:54 PM by windypig »

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »
My wife thought about this offer, but I pointed out that we didn't need a SAMs Club and Costco membership.  SAMs Club is fairly close while CostCo is on the other end of town, so we passed.  She tried briefly to justify both but just couldn't! 

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »
Thanks so much fujiters and kkblock!  Just need one more purchase and I'm set! 

*Edit - someone just bought from my link, so be sure to use someone else's link if you decide to buy.  Thanks!

I should have used yours, my bad, I misread and thought you had 3/3 already. Hope you get it.

Jack

• Magnum Stache

yoga mama

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »
I also used windypig's referral!  Hope he updates if he's gotten it for free. 

Here's mine in case the others have been used! :)  Thanks!

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=83599435&rpi=173163348

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »
Do y'all think I would qualify as a new member if I had a membership, but it's currently expired?  I've been meaning to join again, and it would be great to save some cash in the process.

Living Social just says you cannot use it for a renewal BUT once I bought it the CostCo info said:
Membership Activation Certificates cannot be used to renew an existing or expired Costco membership.

I had a membership years ago, so I guess I will find out!  Too bad that isn't clearer on the Living Social site!

It has been> 5 years since I was a member, so I don't know what they will do. If I have problems, I will be complaining about this.

penguin456

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 01:14:46 PM »
Costco has a great organic selection so you may end up liking it. We also use ours for car rentals and will sometimes find things we need on costco.com cheaper than amazon or elsewhere.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 01:32:03 PM »
Very cool! They are building a Costco a few miles away from me, and I've debating on whether it would be worth signing up and checking it out... With the coupons, etc. I decided to pull the trigger on this deal. I used yoga mama's referral link! Here's mine if anyone wants to keep the chain going :)

[reached my referral quota with the help of nextdoor.com, twitter, and you guys - thanks!]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:14:51 PM by kudy »

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »

yoga mama

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 09:10:44 PM »

Living Social just says you cannot use it for a renewal BUT once I bought it the CostCo info said:
Membership Activation Certificates cannot be used to renew an existing or expired Costco membership.

I had a membership years ago, so I guess I will find out!  Too bad that isn't clearer on the Living Social site!

It has been> 5 years since I was a member, so I don't know what they will do. If I have problems, I will be complaining about this.

We had a membership that we let expire probably 4 years ago, they found us in the computer but had no problem letting us use the deal FYI. 

Thanks @kudy!

DrF

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 09:21:41 PM »
Just bought the membership using Kudy link.  Thanks for the post.  Tell all your friends, and let's get everyone FREE Costco memberships!

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=8343967&rpi=173208096

kkblock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 07:15:53 AM »
I just need one more and would appreciate the help! I'll update if I get the third one so people can move down this list.

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=81784181&rpi=172878008

Thank you!

Edited - got my third deal! Thank you all. Please head to the next link! Another place to post your link is a neighborhood list serve. Lots of people will appreciate the tip.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:36:49 AM by kkblock »

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 08:51:50 AM »
I saw it and I would consider the deal but I do not have a Costco within reasonable driving distance to jump on the deal. I have a Sams Club and BJs both relatively close but no Costco (and by close I am talking about within 30 mins). I did the Sams Club deal last year and that was good! I also always do the 60 day BJ trials when they have those coupons.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »

fujiters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2014, 10:54:20 AM »
Thanks windypig and the other mystery buyer (I am able to see your name from Living Social, but I don't know your user name)! I'm 1 away from getting mine for free.

badger1988

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 11:12:29 AM »
Good timing! My Sam's club membership expires this month, and this deal is incentive enough for me to switch to Costco.

I used SuperSaver's link. Here is mine:
https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=204876398&rpi=173252174

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 11:30:55 AM »
Thanks badger!!! I hope I get two more:) Thanks op for letting everyone know what a great deal it is!

jenc229

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
I purchased the deal using SuperSavers link!

As a public service announcement, I read the entire slickdeals thread and tried literally every promo code that anyone shared and none worked...hopefully this will save someone else some time!!!

Here is my referral code: https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=89013629&rpi=173263056

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
Thanks Jen!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »

Just went out to Costco to redeem the certificate - I was still in the system, but no problems. They did try to up-sell the Executive membership and American Express card, but I will keep it simple for now. I walked through and collected price data, didn't 't buy today. Interestingly, gas was 5 cents higher than current local price!

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
Thanks Yoga Mama and Jack for using my link. I am one away (2/3) so hopefully someone else can help me get it free, if not no worrries, was a good deal on its own:

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2014, 08:17:33 PM »
I used kkblocks, I believe I was their third.   Please use my code: http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=mobile-link-share-post-purchase&rpi=173243988&rui=204873392. I would appreciate it!!!
      2 out of 3! I am so excited. :) This is such a great deal and perfectly timed since I had looked into getting one a couple weeks ago.

nwmushroom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

DrF

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 10:50:28 AM »
Just bought the membership using Kudy link.  Thanks for the post.  Tell all your friends, and let's get everyone FREE Costco memberships!

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=8343967&rpi=173208096

Still need some people to follow my link to get the deal for free.  There is still time!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »
OK... I spent two days waffling... deciding if this was worth it for a single person.  However, with the freebies, the membership takes care of itself.

It says the deal only has one day left.  So if anyone wants to use my link, that would be totally awesome! 

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=5205272&rpi=173419504

outsyncof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »
I also took the plunge!  I've never been inside of a magical Costco store before.  Excited to see what treasures and deals await :)

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=50852267&rpi=173431056

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2014, 11:12:38 AM »
I have received 3/3 thanks all. Use someone elses link.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2014, 01:56:55 PM »
OK... I spent two days waffling... deciding if this was worth it for a single person.  However, with the freebies, the membership takes care of itself.

It says the deal only has one day left.  So if anyone wants to use my link, that would be totally awesome! 

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=5205272&rpi=173419504

Still need a couple, if anyone is still looking.  Thanks. :)

outsyncof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
I also took the plunge!  I've never been inside of a magical Costco store before.  Excited to see what treasures and deals await :)

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=50852267&rpi=173431056

Just one more needed for me!  Thanks guys...

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2014, 09:00:19 PM »

4 hours left to get the deal.  I think I just need one more to get the deal free, so if you're gonna do it... :) 

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »
Done, and I used 10dollarsatatime' s link. :)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2014, 09:45:46 PM »
Done, and I used 10dollarsatatime' s link. :)

Yay! Thank you!  Here's hoping for that last one in the next couple of hours. :)

outsyncof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2014, 09:51:16 PM »

We're down to the wire!  I also need just one more :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!