Author Topic: Corona haircuts...  (Read 4888 times)

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Corona haircuts...
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2020, 09:35:10 AM »
Men, especially the folicly challenged.

Now is the time to ditch the horse shoe +/- ponytail (ps: it looks terrible) and bic it baby.

The hair on the top of my head seems to be slowly migrading down the back of my neck and onto my shoulders as I age.  Maybe I'll just grow it out until I can comb it back up to the top of my head.  :P

Hah, yeah I have that same problem, though it started in my early 20s and the migration is pretty much complete.

On the plus side, no one can tell how grey I am getting! Another bonus for the bic treatment.

spartana

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd at 36? Or maybe it was 42?
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2020, 11:33:28 AM »
Men, especially the folicly challenged.

Now is the time to ditch the horse shoe +/- ponytail (ps: it looks terrible) and bic it baby.
Yoou mean.a skullet?

spartana

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd at 36? Or maybe it was 42?
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2020, 11:36:55 AM »
I just realized I haven't cut my hair in 2 years based on one of the other cut your own hair threads. Other then a trim and bangs that is. I grow it long and donated it to make wigs for cancer patients.

Michael in ABQ

• Pencil Stache
    • Military Saints
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2020, 02:19:04 PM »
The military has relaxed grooming standards since all the barbershops worldwide on bases are closed down. The longer my hair gets the more obvious my receding hairline is. Getting a pair of clippers shipped here will take weeks so I'm pretty strong considering just shaving it bald this weekend.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2020, 06:02:06 PM »
The military has relaxed grooming standards since all the barbershops worldwide on bases are closed down. The longer my hair gets the more obvious my receding hairline is. Getting a pair of clippers shipped here will take weeks so I'm pretty strong considering just shaving it bald this weekend.

I've been getting a lot of mixed signals on this. Some folks are posting "relaxed standards" while others are saying "no you can't go to the barber, and you better not get shaggy." Each service is treating this differently.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2020/04/07/closed-barber-shops-wont-mean-relaxed-grooming-army-leaders-say/?fbclid=IwAR0lvG4nrur68W8mBa5NfsJJdXN3s2wlEWNLZIql_i6whnhg6w4MnH_JTrU
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:10:42 PM by Travis »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2020, 07:49:44 AM »
I've been cutting my boyfriend's hair for years, but did my own undercut for the first time yesterday. It wasn't prefect, but good enough to look normal and stop me from feeling like a shaggy overgrown beast. I don't have a hand mirror, so I unscrewed a mirror from the wall and had my boyfriend stand behind me and hold it up so I could see the back.

Salons and barber shops are going to be so insanely busy when this whole thing is over.

Don't you trust your boyfriend to give it a try, after watching youtube instruction?
I have been trimming DH's hair for several decades and have let him cut my long(ish) hair. It looked acceptable. I couldn't have done it myself.
I let him cut my hair onother occasions than corona, but for convenience on not having to make a hairdresser appointment and pay a small fortune for a women's cut.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »
Been using a Wahl clipper on #8 for a while.  Continuing to do so.  Now and then, my sons ask me to do them.

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2020, 02:20:17 PM »
There will never be a better time to practice cutting your own hair.

I've been cutting my shoulder-length hair for a few years, but not well since I can't really see what I'm doing in the back.  I'm not too cheap to go to a salon, it's just that whenever I find a stylist I like, they always seem to move on before I go back in, so always starting over got old.  So my bad haircuts = ponytail or hair clip most days.   

Then I ran across a mention of the CreaClip a few weeks back and ordered one from Amazon.  I get much better results now, quick and easy.  Not super cheap at $30 and won't last forever since it's cheap plastic, but I would imagine it will last a few years anyway.  Now I am able to wear my hair down again since my cuts are nice and even .

Michael in ABQ

• Pencil Stache
    • Military Saints
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2020, 03:08:18 PM »
One of my Soldiers does some barbering on the side. He work a mask and gloves and we used a cut up trash bag to catch the hair. Should get me by for a few more weeks. Not quite as short as I normally get it. But beggars can't be choosers.

Plina

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2020, 04:15:22 PM »
I cut my short hair that felt too long yesterday with a trimmer and perfected it with scissors. The fun thing is that I got the feel: it looks good. That was the first time since I started cutting my hair a couple of months ago. Just like coming from a good hairdresser. Every time I look in the mirror the hair makes me smile, even though I have discovered strands of gray/White.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2020, 07:26:50 PM »
Cut my own hair for the first time in my life today, guided by this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAmE16ej9IU

Gave myself a chin-length bob with a few layers. Front looks better than the back, but it's a respectable enough first effort.

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2020, 03:38:56 PM »
I've been trimming my own hair for over a year now, inspired by a thread on this forum. DH shaves his head. Our kids have thick, curly hair that doesn't need frequent cuts.

The lockdown has made me grateful for being generally low maintenance - I don't dye my hair, rarely get my nails done professionally, and tweeze my own eyebrows, so not being able to get those services from professionals hasn't impacted me at all.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2020, 02:22:15 PM »
It started out as a trim, but I just gave my wife a full Corona Cut, and she has short hair, which I think is harder than long hair would have been. Came out pretty well. She even said she MIGHT let me do it even if hair salons were open.

LWYRUP

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2020, 05:14:41 AM »
We gave our 4 year old DS a haircut but it didn't work out.  Then we tried to fix it.  Now he looks like an adorable little fascist.  So I think an adorable cancer patient needs to be next.  : (

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2020, 08:36:04 AM »
Fascists have a haircut now?

LWYRUP

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »
We shaved it on the sides but then went up too far.  Then my wife was afraid to touch the top.  So it's sort of like a floppy mowhawk on one side, and then on the other side it looks like a bowl cut. 

The bowl cut just looks generally terrible but is what it is -- people used to actually have barbers do them sometimes. 

The other side I really don't like.  It basically has come out looking like this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercut_(hairstyle)

Obviously Macklemore and David Beckham aren't fascists so I was being a bit glib.  But I don't like the cut.  He's a towhead too so it seems worse somehow. 

desk_jockey

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2020, 09:40:11 AM »
Iím all in on this.  Regular haircuts that is, not fascist cuts.   My partner has been cutting her own hair for more than 5 years now.   For about the same amount if time sheís been giving me a slight touch-up around the ears between barber visits.   Maybe 2 years ago that expanded to a more thorough cleanup around the sides and back which doubled the time between professional cuts.  Now with COVID, she has moved up-top and started doing the full cut.   She started slowing and learned a lot watching youtube instructionals.  I donít plan to go back to a salon.   

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2020, 02:12:11 PM »
We shaved it on the sides but then went up too far.  Then my wife was afraid to touch the top.  So it's sort of like a floppy mowhawk on one side, and then on the other side it looks like a bowl cut. 

The bowl cut just looks generally terrible but is what it is -- people used to actually have barbers do them sometimes. 

The other side I really don't like.  It basically has come out looking like this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercut_(hairstyle)

Obviously Macklemore and David Beckham aren't fascists so I was being a bit glib.  But I don't like the cut.  He's a towhead too so it seems worse somehow.

Oh.  Sounds kinda like a high and tight?  That's more of a military rather than fascist haircut if it makes you feel better.  :P

It's kinda cracking me up reading about everyone trying to cut hair and messing up.  I started cutting my own hair at least a decade ago, have no innate talent for this sort of thing, and have managed to give myself (and my son) good enough haircuts that nobody has ever pointed and laughed.  When in doubt go with a bigger razor guard than you think you need.  You can always take more off later if necessary.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »

Oh.  Sounds kinda like a high and tight?  That's more of a military rather than fascist haircut if it makes you feel better.  :P

It's kinda cracking me up reading about everyone trying to cut hair and messing up.  I started cutting my own hair at least a decade ago, have no innate talent for this sort of thing, and have managed to give myself (and my son) good enough haircuts that nobody has ever pointed and laughed.  When in doubt go with a bigger razor guard than you think you need.  You can always take more off later if necessary.

A friend of mine who is a stay at home dad just posted a challenge on FB asking for suggestions on what to do with his too-long hair. Winning vote will be done to him on FB live for all of us to see.

So far it looks like itís gonna be having his kids tie up his hair in a bunch of little rubber banda around his head and cutting just below them.

LWYRUP

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2020, 05:55:23 PM »
Kids is part of the problem.  DS is four and not capable of keeping his head still.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2020, 06:21:05 PM »
Kids is part of the problem.  DS is four and not capable of keeping his head still.

I started cutting my son's hair at four.  He responded well to bribes.  Try 10 m+ms spaced over the hair cut.  You'll be amazed at how still he can hold his head.  :P

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2020, 07:01:08 AM »
When I first started cutting my own hair I accidentally stuck a #1 on the clippers (don't ask how it happened) to do the top. As I soon as I started cutting I was like "WTF?!?!?" Needless to say my whole head got the buzz treatment. I have been extra careful ever since.

dogboyslim

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2020, 09:06:20 AM »
If you are not going anywhere why do you need a haircut?  If you do need to go out, I doubt anyone will judge you for your hairstyle.

I don't like having long hair.  It's warmer and it bothers me every time I pass a mirror.

Summer arrived where I am this weekend.  After a majorly sweaty day I came inside, took a shower, and then put the #3 gate on the clippers.  I may move to #4, since #3 leaves it thin enough on top that I may get a sunburn.

adamR18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
I've been doing the self-cut for a couple months now. My hair grows relatively quickly so I've done it twice since the lockdown started. The issue I have is that I've got cheap clippers I bought ages ago, and the sliding guard piece doesn't have any type of numbers or label on it, so I just count the number of "clicks" as it gets shorter.

The first cut- I started with the longest guard and moved down until it was short enough to my liking.

The one I did yesterday- I went one "click" longer on top than I did the first time, and sort of tapered it down so that it was shorter on the bottom than it was on the top of my head. Not really a fade- I guess I'd call it a "taper?" It looks better this way than having one length all across the head.

I may order a better set of clippers in the future. These clog up and I have to unclog after every 3-4 swipes, plus the lack of numbers on the guard make it difficult to follow tutorials online. For now, though, I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2020, 07:23:04 AM »
My son has been growing his hair out for a couple years and finally decided he'd had enough. He's even willing to let me do the deed. I can cut my own hair in a mirror in 10 minutes. I'm afraid of butchering his.

Blue shirt is the goal. Red shirt is current. In addition to the thick waves blocking his vision, he has a shaggy tail going halfway down his back that he's ready to get rid of. Can I attack that with clippers and guard changes or is this some serious kung fu with scissors?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 07:25:14 AM by Travis »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2020, 08:23:17 AM »
If you have good clippers you'll be fine.  Second picture looks like a #4 sides and back and a #8 (or maybe just scissors) on top.