Author Topic: Corona haircuts...  (Read 10367 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Corona haircuts...
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2020, 07:49:44 AM »
I've been cutting my boyfriend's hair for years, but did my own undercut for the first time yesterday. It wasn't prefect, but good enough to look normal and stop me from feeling like a shaggy overgrown beast. I don't have a hand mirror, so I unscrewed a mirror from the wall and had my boyfriend stand behind me and hold it up so I could see the back.

Salons and barber shops are going to be so insanely busy when this whole thing is over.

Don't you trust your boyfriend to give it a try, after watching youtube instruction?
I have been trimming DH's hair for several decades and have let him cut my long(ish) hair. It looked acceptable. I couldn't have done it myself.
I let him cut my hair onother occasions than corona, but for convenience on not having to make a hairdresser appointment and pay a small fortune for a women's cut.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »
Been using a Wahl clipper on #8 for a while.  Continuing to do so.  Now and then, my sons ask me to do them.

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2020, 02:20:17 PM »
There will never be a better time to practice cutting your own hair.

I've been cutting my shoulder-length hair for a few years, but not well since I can't really see what I'm doing in the back.  I'm not too cheap to go to a salon, it's just that whenever I find a stylist I like, they always seem to move on before I go back in, so always starting over got old.  So my bad haircuts = ponytail or hair clip most days.   

Then I ran across a mention of the CreaClip a few weeks back and ordered one from Amazon.  I get much better results now, quick and easy.  Not super cheap at $30 and won't last forever since it's cheap plastic, but I would imagine it will last a few years anyway.  Now I am able to wear my hair down again since my cuts are nice and even .

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2020, 03:08:18 PM »
One of my Soldiers does some barbering on the side. He work a mask and gloves and we used a cut up trash bag to catch the hair. Should get me by for a few more weeks. Not quite as short as I normally get it. But beggars can't be choosers.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2020, 04:15:22 PM »
I cut my short hair that felt too long yesterday with a trimmer and perfected it with scissors. The fun thing is that I got the feel: it looks good. That was the first time since I started cutting my hair a couple of months ago. Just like coming from a good hairdresser. Every time I look in the mirror the hair makes me smile, even though I have discovered strands of gray/White.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2020, 07:26:50 PM »
Cut my own hair for the first time in my life today, guided by this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAmE16ej9IU

Gave myself a chin-length bob with a few layers. Front looks better than the back, but it's a respectable enough first effort.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2020, 03:38:56 PM »
I've been trimming my own hair for over a year now, inspired by a thread on this forum. DH shaves his head. Our kids have thick, curly hair that doesn't need frequent cuts.

The lockdown has made me grateful for being generally low maintenance - I don't dye my hair, rarely get my nails done professionally, and tweeze my own eyebrows, so not being able to get those services from professionals hasn't impacted me at all.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2020, 02:22:15 PM »
It started out as a trim, but I just gave my wife a full Corona Cut, and she has short hair, which I think is harder than long hair would have been. Came out pretty well. She even said she MIGHT let me do it even if hair salons were open.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2020, 05:14:41 AM »
We gave our 4 year old DS a haircut but it didn't work out.  Then we tried to fix it.  Now he looks like an adorable little fascist.  So I think an adorable cancer patient needs to be next.  : (

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2020, 08:36:04 AM »
Fascists have a haircut now?

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »
We shaved it on the sides but then went up too far.  Then my wife was afraid to touch the top.  So it's sort of like a floppy mowhawk on one side, and then on the other side it looks like a bowl cut. 

The bowl cut just looks generally terrible but is what it is -- people used to actually have barbers do them sometimes. 

The other side I really don't like.  It basically has come out looking like this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercut_(hairstyle)

Obviously Macklemore and David Beckham aren't fascists so I was being a bit glib.  But I don't like the cut.  He's a towhead too so it seems worse somehow. 

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2020, 09:40:11 AM »
I’m all in on this.  Regular haircuts that is, not fascist cuts.   My partner has been cutting her own hair for more than 5 years now.   For about the same amount if time she’s been giving me a slight touch-up around the ears between barber visits.   Maybe 2 years ago that expanded to a more thorough cleanup around the sides and back which doubled the time between professional cuts.  Now with COVID, she has moved up-top and started doing the full cut.   She started slowing and learned a lot watching youtube instructionals.  I don’t plan to go back to a salon.   

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2020, 02:12:11 PM »
We shaved it on the sides but then went up too far.  Then my wife was afraid to touch the top.  So it's sort of like a floppy mowhawk on one side, and then on the other side it looks like a bowl cut. 

The bowl cut just looks generally terrible but is what it is -- people used to actually have barbers do them sometimes. 

The other side I really don't like.  It basically has come out looking like this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercut_(hairstyle)

Obviously Macklemore and David Beckham aren't fascists so I was being a bit glib.  But I don't like the cut.  He's a towhead too so it seems worse somehow.

Oh.  Sounds kinda like a high and tight?  That's more of a military rather than fascist haircut if it makes you feel better.  :P

It's kinda cracking me up reading about everyone trying to cut hair and messing up.  I started cutting my own hair at least a decade ago, have no innate talent for this sort of thing, and have managed to give myself (and my son) good enough haircuts that nobody has ever pointed and laughed.  When in doubt go with a bigger razor guard than you think you need.  You can always take more off later if necessary.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »

Oh.  Sounds kinda like a high and tight?  That's more of a military rather than fascist haircut if it makes you feel better.  :P

It's kinda cracking me up reading about everyone trying to cut hair and messing up.  I started cutting my own hair at least a decade ago, have no innate talent for this sort of thing, and have managed to give myself (and my son) good enough haircuts that nobody has ever pointed and laughed.  When in doubt go with a bigger razor guard than you think you need.  You can always take more off later if necessary.

A friend of mine who is a stay at home dad just posted a challenge on FB asking for suggestions on what to do with his too-long hair. Winning vote will be done to him on FB live for all of us to see.

So far it looks like it’s gonna be having his kids tie up his hair in a bunch of little rubber banda around his head and cutting just below them.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2020, 05:55:23 PM »
Kids is part of the problem.  DS is four and not capable of keeping his head still.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2020, 06:21:05 PM »
Kids is part of the problem.  DS is four and not capable of keeping his head still.

I started cutting my son's hair at four.  He responded well to bribes.  Try 10 m+ms spaced over the hair cut.  You'll be amazed at how still he can hold his head.  :P

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2020, 07:01:08 AM »
When I first started cutting my own hair I accidentally stuck a #1 on the clippers (don't ask how it happened) to do the top. As I soon as I started cutting I was like "WTF?!?!?" Needless to say my whole head got the buzz treatment. I have been extra careful ever since.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2020, 09:06:20 AM »
If you are not going anywhere why do you need a haircut?  If you do need to go out, I doubt anyone will judge you for your hairstyle.

I don't like having long hair.  It's warmer and it bothers me every time I pass a mirror.

Summer arrived where I am this weekend.  After a majorly sweaty day I came inside, took a shower, and then put the #3 gate on the clippers.  I may move to #4, since #3 leaves it thin enough on top that I may get a sunburn.

adamR18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
I've been doing the self-cut for a couple months now. My hair grows relatively quickly so I've done it twice since the lockdown started. The issue I have is that I've got cheap clippers I bought ages ago, and the sliding guard piece doesn't have any type of numbers or label on it, so I just count the number of "clicks" as it gets shorter.

The first cut- I started with the longest guard and moved down until it was short enough to my liking.

The one I did yesterday- I went one "click" longer on top than I did the first time, and sort of tapered it down so that it was shorter on the bottom than it was on the top of my head. Not really a fade- I guess I'd call it a "taper?" It looks better this way than having one length all across the head.

I may order a better set of clippers in the future. These clog up and I have to unclog after every 3-4 swipes, plus the lack of numbers on the guard make it difficult to follow tutorials online. For now, though, I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2020, 07:23:04 AM »
My son has been growing his hair out for a couple years and finally decided he'd had enough. He's even willing to let me do the deed. I can cut my own hair in a mirror in 10 minutes. I'm afraid of butchering his.

Blue shirt is the goal. Red shirt is current. In addition to the thick waves blocking his vision, he has a shaggy tail going halfway down his back that he's ready to get rid of. Can I attack that with clippers and guard changes or is this some serious kung fu with scissors?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 07:25:14 AM by Travis »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2020, 08:23:17 AM »
If you have good clippers you'll be fine.  Second picture looks like a #4 sides and back and a #8 (or maybe just scissors) on top.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2020, 05:56:05 PM »
If you have good clippers you'll be fine.  Second picture looks like a #4 sides and back and a #8 (or maybe just scissors) on top.

So we botched the front part, but he's happy with it. It ended up being a combination of #5 and #6.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2020, 05:40:44 PM »
At least he'll be cooler for the summer!  :P

The cut doesn't look bad (certainly not 'AAAH WTF is wrong with that hair!') at all.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2020, 04:43:11 PM »

I started cutting my son's hair at four.  He responded well to bribes.  Try 10 m+ms spaced over the hair cut.  You'll be amazed at how still he can hold his head.  :P

Necropost but we tried this and it worked.  And then grew out!  He looks like a normal kid now.

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2020, 02:49:30 PM »

Necropost but we tried this and it worked.  And then grew out!  He looks like a normal kid now.

For others with this problem -- I've been cutting my 2.5 y/o's hair since he started needing haircuts, and the trick for us has been that I spread the haircut over multiple days, but cut often (at least monthly).  It works out pretty well - I'll cut for two or three minutes while he's distracted, and then he gets sick of it, and I'll return to fix the rest the next day. :-)

But today I'm celebrating yesterday's victory:  My curly-haired wife asked me to cut her hair, and she's happy with the outcome.  Did I mention the curly-haired part?  Wahoo!  (Curly hair is a specialty domain of hair cutting all to itself.  I think I only succeeded because we decided to stick to taking 1-2cm off this time to be safe.)

I've been cutting mine since the pandemic started, with my wife touching up the back where I can't see well, and I'm not going back.  I do just as good a job as a salon and it's way more convenient this way.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2020, 04:26:18 AM »
My clippers are not cutting as closely as they should and I'm out of the oil that came with the kit. Does anybody recommend a brand or type?  The only lubricant I have in the house is the yellow bottle of stuff for my bicycle chain. I haven't been to the store yet to see what my options are.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2020, 06:50:27 AM »
My clippers are not cutting as closely as they should and I'm out of the oil that came with the kit. Does anybody recommend a brand or type?  The only lubricant I have in the house is the yellow bottle of stuff for my bicycle chain. I haven't been to the store yet to see what my options are.

Any light oil will do fine.  I've successfully used both prolink pro-gold bike chain lube and olive oil at different times in the past depending as it's stuff I had at hand.  The bike lube can impart a slight scent that is familiar and lovely to me, but is not liked by my wife - hence the switch to olive oil . . . which seems to be scentless.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2020, 06:57:07 AM »

Any light oil will do fine.  I've successfully used both prolink pro-gold bike chain lube and olive oil at different times in the past depending as it's stuff I had at hand.  The bike lube can impart a slight scent that is familiar and lovely to me, but is not liked by my wife - hence the switch to olive oil . . . which seems to be scentless.

Thanks. The bike lube is "Rock N Roll Gold LV." I'll give it a shot.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2020, 07:15:19 AM »

We have been using olive oil and swear that it works better than the oil originally provided.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2020, 07:18:18 AM »
I cut my baby’s hair for the first time ever last week. He just turned 1 and so can’t be bribed, but he sat on my husband’s lap and my husband did an admirable job of distracting and entertaining him. The cut isn’t perfect because of all the wiggling and limited attention span, but it isn’t bad. We did it just after nap so the kiddo was happy and used the clippers for everything. I didn’t feel safe with scissors around someone who moves so much.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2020, 12:40:08 PM »
I'm getting to this really late, but it was something like June when I let my girls take turns with shaving it all off.

cooking

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2020, 05:00:07 PM »
my daughter watched some videos and cut my bangs.  Did a good job.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2020, 05:04:07 PM »
I just cut my wife's hair.  Turns out cutting women's hair is actually easier than cutting my hair, my son's hair, or the dog's hair.  Just a little snip snip for 15 minutes with some scissors and we're basically back to the same haircut she had pre-corona.  My wife was like "I don't know what I've been paying these hairdressers for all these years".  :P

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2020, 05:55:01 PM »
I just buzzed it all off. No guard, practically bald.
So much easier than fussing with stupid hair.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2020, 02:20:44 PM »
I bought clippers a long time ago, but since my kids because style-conscious teens we let them go to a barber shop that specializes in university students (and which does a really really good job, for not too expensive).

However, I've been doing everyone's hair for months now, and according to the 16-year old I'm getting pretty decent.

Honestly, however, I'm over it and can't wait to re-outsource this job. I also want to go back to my former hairdresser and get a short (but stylish) cut on myself. I'm sick of the entire subject!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2020, 04:20:38 PM »
Just cut DH's hair again.  Probably 5-6 times since Covid hit.  I've been his only source of cuts.  I'm getting pretty good at it!

DeedlesSci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2020, 03:16:05 PM »
Just cut my hair for the 4th time this weekend. I decided to buzz it off and cut off well over 10 inches in the late spring.

I do a #8 (1 inch) all around. Got some tips from my DH who has been cutting his own hair since I have known him. I do the line in the back for him and help with complicated things (mohawks), but had never buzzed my own hair.

The first time took a long time. If you are cutting a lot you need to go slow. Trims are way easier.

I get a lot of compliments. But, it is weird when people call me "brave".

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2020, 11:52:36 AM »
With numbers surging here, I am back to cutting my own hair. Got one professional haircut in the summer. Can't say I particularly enjoy it, but what can you do? Not going to risk close contact with a bunch of people, even if they are all wearing masks.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2020, 11:56:19 AM »
My wife has been cutting my hair since March. $270 in savings so far. She's gotten pretty good at it. Just followed the instructions from a YouTube tutorial.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2020, 08:57:37 PM »
I enjoy cutting my husband’s hair. It is sort of a quiet bonding time just the two of us with no other distractions. Cutting the baby’s hair was challenging though because he can’t keep his head still for more than two seconds. :)

I got a haircut the other week for the first time since January. What a treat! Sort of weird though to have them work around my mask. That is ok though.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2020, 05:21:09 AM »
Any tips/suggestions on blade sharpening? Worth the tools or just buy a replacement blade? After oiling the blades they appear to be moving fast again, but when I use the little battery powered clippers for touch ups it feels like I'm mowing a lawn as if I'm not getting a close enough cut by the big ones.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!