Author Topic: Corona haircuts...  (Read 10399 times)

Joe Schmo

• Stubble
Corona haircuts...
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:31:32 AM »
No, literally.
So my neighbors get a new car every 6 months, they have an RV payment and they never saved 529s for their kids who are at private universities. So that's about 7 payments as far as I can reckon.
Yesterday (amid the social distancing) a brand new benz pulls up and their hair stylist...they all get haircuts.

My wife and I put 50% down on our house and have no other payments, 529s for our infants and are putting many K's into our retirement monthly. My wife trimmed my hair with clippers on the back porch last night. Just sayin.

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: Corona haircuts...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 10:43:28 AM »
I always just buzz mine anyway, but my wife gave herself a much more significant trim than she normally does in the name of social distancing. She couldn't get the back too well (and didn't want me to try), but no one's going to see the back of her head while working virtually anyway.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 10:46:09 AM »
No, literally.
So my neighbors get a new car every 6 months, they have an RV payment and they never saved 529s for their kids who are at private universities. So that's about 7 payments as far as I can reckon.
Yesterday (amid the social distancing) a brand new benz pulls up and their hair stylist...they all get haircuts.

My wife and I put 50% down on our house and have no other payments, 529s for our infants and are putting many K's into our retirement monthly. My wife trimmed my hair with clippers on the back porch last night. Just sayin.

Is this thread supposed to be about your neighbor's poor choices, or a chance to brag about your own financial circumstances?
Haircuts seem a minor aside regardless of the topic-subject.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:49:36 AM »
I plan on cutting mine again! I used to do it for a few years, but it did look kinda awful as it grew out, and my spouse hates all the hairs even when i clean up real good. Maybe we will do it on the back porch this weekend.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 10:52:09 AM »
Barber shops are closed down here and I'm in the military so I have to get a haircut at least every month or so to stay in regulation. Might be time to just shave it all off. I normally get a 1.5 on the top and 0 on the sides so it's not much more than being bald after I get it cut.

DaveSch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dave's Homemade Radios
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 01:15:29 PM »
The neighbor lady gives me a buzz now and again. She's done this for about 17 years now. She even has a license to do this, but only does it for a few people. I gave her my old iPad a few years ago and other electronics trinkets when they want them. I'm way overdue on a buzz now, but I won't go over until late June or so. I think the last time I was in a barber chair was 1972.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 02:26:23 PM »
Cut my Moms and my Stepdads hair today, will cut my husbands hair and beard tomorrow( machine cut)
Cut my own last week and it got to short on the back for my taste ;) That will take a while
My 16 year old daughter says no thanks to my hair cuts :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 02:34:21 PM »
I looked in the mirror this morning, and realized I need a trim.   Super happy that I've been cutting my own hair for the last decade now that all the barbershops are closed.  Maybe I'll see if my wife will let me do her hair . . . still more savings to be had.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 02:38:29 PM »
Your hairdressers are still open? They’re exempt from the shutdown here.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 03:47:02 PM »
Cut DH's hair last weekend; had to use scissors as we have no clippers. 

He is calling it his "COVID-Lid".

It came out OK, though the bathroom was a mess; next cut will be done on the back deck once the weather improves.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »
Cutting hair is pretty easy.  Youtube has lots of tutorials and advice.  Get the person to give you a pic of what they want and then look at technique.  I've been doing this for years for myself and family.  I have hair cutting scissors, electric trimmer with attachments and a cape.  What is the worst that could happen? It grows out. No-one is going to see you for weeks probably.  Again, it is really easy if you take the time to watch the techniques.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 09:46:59 PM »
Is Wahl or any other clipper manufacturers publicly traded?  Seems their stock might go to da moon!

force majeure

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 09:45:34 AM »
I think businesses such as nail bars will not be around after this.
The last time I paid for a haircut was in 2009.
My uncle used to do his own buzzcut.

i remember thinking... what a cheap bastard.
I heard he is now worth 100M, and its all in T bills and municipal bonds.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 10:48:53 AM »
If you are not going anywhere why do you need a haircut?  If you do need to go out, I doubt anyone will judge you for your hairstyle.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »
If you are not going anywhere why do you need a haircut?  If you do need to go out, I doubt anyone will judge you for your hairstyle.

I don't like having long hair.  It's warmer and it bothers me every time I pass a mirror.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 10:58:20 AM »

I don't like having long hair.  It's warmer and it bothers me every time I pass a mirror.
ponytail.  HAHA, have you tried?

Joe Schmo

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 11:03:36 AM »
When all this settles down I’ve decided that I’m upping my health/beauty budget and I’m gonna go to great clips like once a month instead of every 5/6 weeks. Just gotta figure out where to find that extra $71/yr...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2020, 12:03:21 PM »
My DH shaves his off. Mine is long enough that I’ll just let it grow untrimmed until the virus gets controlled and things open back up.

I’m wondering how many people will decide to stop coloring their hair and embrace the gray during this period.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 01:06:26 PM »
When all this settles down I’ve decided that I’m upping my health/beauty budget and I’m gonna go to great clips like once a month instead of every 5/6 weeks. Just gotta figure out where to find that extra $71/yr...
why?

Joe Schmo

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 04:38:40 PM »
why?
To attempt to look more refined on a regular basis. Besides I like tipping big at the greatclips :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 04:41:30 PM »

Yep.

Well, not ponytail length, but I rocked shoulder length hair through much of university.  It was a maybe-I'll-make-it-as-a-musician-and-will-never-need-to-look-normal-for-a-real-job phase.  Thank God I didn't end up with face tats or freaky stretched earlobes.  There's no upside to long hair.  Your head is always too long, it takes forever to dry after a shower, it gets tangled and requires maintenance.  And if you put it in a man-bun or ponytail it identifies you as a giant douche bag . . . requires you to grow a beard, wear tight jeans/plaid shirts, thick black rimmed glasses, and drink PBR.  That's like, a law near as I can figure.

Blech.  I will never go back.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 07:04:10 PM »
I usually get my hair cut every 4-6 weeks. For the past week it has been driving me crazy, especially in the back where it was bothering my neck. I live alone, so today I gave it a go by myself. When this is all over, my hairdresser is going to have quite a job to get it all evened out. lol.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 08:25:36 PM »
I buzz my husband and oldest son. My little guy still gets a scissor trim and I usually alternate one at home with a professional one as I’m just not as good at those. But he will get another home haircut this week. My head will just outgrow the style I prefer until probably August. My stylist is used to me remembering every 6 months that I need a trim.

Thankfully I also have all the tools and experience so I can groom my dog as well. Takes me a good 3 hours to get him done but it has saved us a bundle. Just couldn’t imagine paying $80-$100 for him to be groomed every 4-5 weeks. You wanna see some terrible haircuts - some of these dog owners are having to attempt a groom for the first time without the proper tools and it shows!

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 10:07:43 PM »
And they laughed at me when I started cutting my own hair two years ago.  How times change.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 07:47:52 AM »

Yep.

Well, not ponytail length, but I rocked shoulder length hair through much of university.  It was a maybe-I'll-make-it-as-a-musician-and-will-never-need-to-look-normal-for-a-real-job phase.  Thank God I didn't end up with face tats or freaky stretched earlobes.  There's no upside to long hair.  Your head is always too long, it takes forever to dry after a shower, it gets tangled and requires maintenance.  And if you put it in a man-bun or ponytail it identifies you as a giant douche bag . . . requires you to grow a beard, wear tight jeans/plaid shirts, thick black rimmed glasses, and drink PBR.  That's like, a law near as I can figure.

Blech.  I will never go back.
and, ya know, ride a bike ;-).

Only fixies and single speeds though.  They haven't ruined road bikes yet.  :P

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 02:41:42 PM »

I’m wondering how many people will decide to stop coloring their hair and embrace the gray during this period.

(Raises hand)  I'm not dying mine while I'm working from home. I'm only a week past when I normally would have dyed it. It's coming in nice I think, silvery white. When we go back to the office I'll decide whether to continue growing it out or dye again.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 03:09:40 PM »
Barber shops are closed down here and I'm in the military so I have to get a haircut at least every month or so to stay in regulation. Might be time to just shave it all off. I normally get a 1.5 on the top and 0 on the sides so it's not much more than being bald after I get it cut.

Hair grooming standards have been relaxed.

Husband got a hair cut shortly before verything shut down, and with the relaxed standards he can go for a while, but at some point, it will probably be necessary.  We don't own clippers.  We don't even own decent scissors.  This could get sporty!

I don't do much of anything to my hair.  It's been almost a year since I had a trim.  I am considering a semi-permanent weird color dye because why not?, but that would be DIY.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »

Husband got a hair cut shortly before verything shut down, and with the relaxed standards he can go for a while, but at some point, it will probably be necessary.  We don't own clippers.  We don't even own decent scissors.  This could get sporty!

I don't do much of anything to my hair.  It's been almost a year since I had a trim.  I am considering a semi-permanent weird color dye because why not?, but that would be DIY.

If only there was some way of getting hair clippers or scissors delivered directly to one’s home...
:-P

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 03:39:23 PM »

If only there was some way of getting hair clippers or scissors delivered directly to one’s home...
:-P

Husband as *always* been adamant that he will not let me cut his hair, so investing in clippers seems sort of silly, but I could probably toss a few bucks at good scissors. 

ETA:  In a strange twist of mustachianism promoting spending, I've just ordered an $8 pair of scissors.  They will arrive in two weeks.  (There were a few pairs that were a dollar or two cheaper, but they wouldn't arrive until late April, early May.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:51:49 PM by Villanelle »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 05:01:19 PM »
Let me know how you like them...
And anyone else have a good, sharp pair of scissors to recommend?  I got consumer fatigue the last time I was browsing online

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 05:39:34 PM »
And anyone else have a good, sharp pair of scissors to recommend?  I got consumer fatigue the last time I was browsing online

I got a decent pair of scissors in the box when ordering my Wahl clippers ten years ago.  :P

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 09:10:28 PM »

These have been great: http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVYBY8M/

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2020, 10:41:02 PM »

These have been great: http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVYBY8M/

Delivery May 4-11! 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2020, 11:39:26 PM »

Been cutting my own for 10 years (0 on sides, 4-5 on top). I offered to give my team a high and tight if they get too shaggy the next few weeks.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2020, 04:22:04 AM »

Been cutting my own for 10 years (0 on sides, 4-5 on top). I offered to give my team a high and tight if they get too shaggy the next few weeks.

I've got several guys in my company that do haircuts. With the barbershop charging $5.50 before, they didn't have any business. I suspect that will change shortly.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 04:46:12 AM »

I got a decent pair of scissors in the box when ordering my Wahl clippers ten years ago.  :P

Yeah, so did I.  But somehow they were lost about five years ago...

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2020, 03:02:41 AM »
I got a trimmer and clippers a couple of months ago for the cost of one haircut. I moved and hated the thought of searching a new hairdresser that I like. I cut my hair short a couple of months before the move. I decided to try cut myself with the thought that it would be ok in a month and if it didn't work I could always go to the hairdresser next time. I could live with horrible hair for that time. My colleagues were impressed with my haircut. A friend of mine thought that it looked really good and she told me that BEFORE I told her that I had cut my own hair. So 70 USD saved every month and even more because I haven't bothered to color it every three months for 180 USD.

Its a mess with the hair in the bathroom but I can live with that. It takes less time than going to a hairdresser and is cheaper.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2020, 01:32:40 PM »

Once we ordered Chinese scissors from AliExpress, and bought the most expensive ones offered. They are nice and sharp. Yes, it takes several weeks to get delivered.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 07:44:53 AM by Linea_Norway »

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2020, 05:43:28 AM »
It's very nice to be able to cut my own hair right now, and the few times i have to go out, to see the side-eye jealous looks from other guys who can't get their hair cut.

I probably am a little more adventurous than other guys when it comes to cutting my own hair - I've been doing a fade on the sides and back, from razor shaved gradually increasing to a 8 or a 10 near the top. I leave the top of my hair long and trim it near the sides to blend it a bit. In total it takes me about an hour, including the necessary shower and cleanup. The hardest part of the whole thing (besides cleaning up the hair from all the small places it gets into) is learning how to cut the back while holding up a mirror. For me the cost savings is a plus but the biggest reason I do it? I loathe the feeling of little tickly/prickly hairs stuck in my clothes - being able to immediately shower is so much better than having to wait between the barber and home.

I also cut my kids' hair to request, and they do so much better for me than in a barber chair.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2020, 07:12:46 AM »
It's very nice to be able to cut my own hair right now, and the few times i have to go out, to see the side-eye jealous looks from other guys who can't get their hair cut.

I probably am a little more adventurous than other guys when it comes to cutting my own hair - I've been doing a fade on the sides and back, from razor shaved gradually increasing to a 8 or a 10 near the top. I leave the top of my hair long and trim it near the sides to blend it a bit. In total it takes me about an hour, including the necessary shower and cleanup. The hardest part of the whole thing (besides cleaning up the hair from all the small places it gets into) is learning how to cut the back while holding up a mirror. For me the cost savings is a plus but the biggest reason I do it? I loathe the feeling of little tickly/prickly hairs stuck in my clothes - being able to immediately shower is so much better than having to wait between the barber and home.

I also cut my kids' hair to request, and they do so much better for me than in a barber chair.

I do something similar to this.  I usually go from a 3 to 5 on the sides and either go short with a 12 on the top or do the top by hand with the buzzer.  I was always facinated by how the haridresser would measure my hair length with her fingers while cutting.  So I do a crude version of that now and it is pretty fun. I usually do a 30 minute session and then a touch up a week later because I get impatient with trying to get everyting blended and even towards the back where it is all by feel.  Barbers used to tell me all kinds of BS about needing to cut certain sections just right so they didn't stick up all the time.  If something sticks up I just cut it down.

I cut my wife's hair the same way and it was been working out. 

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 07:51:38 AM »
We bought a cheap barbers kit long ago, have been doing home haircuts for 30 years or more.
Getting hard to find a regular old barber shop where you can walk in without an appointment, and it kind of rubs me wrong to have to schedule a haircut.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »
I've been cutting my boyfriend's hair for years, but did my own undercut for the first time yesterday. It wasn't prefect, but good enough to look normal and stop me from feeling like a shaggy overgrown beast. I don't have a hand mirror, so I unscrewed a mirror from the wall and had my boyfriend stand behind me and hold it up so I could see the back.

Salons and barber shops are going to be so insanely busy when this whole thing is over.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2020, 11:40:14 AM »
I didn't do the best, but gave my sides a trim with a cheap set of clippers.

My wife took it a step further.  she knew she couldn't maintain her old style, so she shaved her head.  she's out of work regardless, and probably will be for a few months  (though she is trying).   With them paying us to stay at home, it made sense.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2020, 01:47:42 PM »
Men, especially the folicly challenged.

Now is the time to ditch the horse shoe +/- ponytail (ps: it looks terrible) and bic it baby.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2020, 07:35:11 AM »

Now is the time to ditch the horse shoe +/- ponytail (ps: it looks terrible) and bic it baby.

The hair on the top of my head seems to be slowly migrading down the back of my neck and onto my shoulders as I age.  Maybe I'll just grow it out until I can comb it back up to the top of my head.  :P

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2020, 08:25:46 AM »
I cut my hair and got the “best” compliment my wife could give: “I didn’t even notice.”

Which means I didn’t do too badly, I guess. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2020, 09:33:31 AM »
I cut my hair and got the “best” compliment my wife could give: “I didn’t even notice.”

Which means I didn’t do too badly, I guess.

. . . or possible she has never been too impressed with your haircut.  :P

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2020, 09:35:10 AM »

The hair on the top of my head seems to be slowly migrading down the back of my neck and onto my shoulders as I age.  Maybe I'll just grow it out until I can comb it back up to the top of my head.  :P

Hah, yeah I have that same problem, though it started in my early 20s and the migration is pretty much complete.

On the plus side, no one can tell how grey I am getting! Another bonus for the bic treatment.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2020, 02:19:04 PM »
The military has relaxed grooming standards since all the barbershops worldwide on bases are closed down. The longer my hair gets the more obvious my receding hairline is. Getting a pair of clippers shipped here will take weeks so I'm pretty strong considering just shaving it bald this weekend.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2020, 06:02:06 PM »
The military has relaxed grooming standards since all the barbershops worldwide on bases are closed down. The longer my hair gets the more obvious my receding hairline is. Getting a pair of clippers shipped here will take weeks so I'm pretty strong considering just shaving it bald this weekend.

I've been getting a lot of mixed signals on this. Some folks are posting "relaxed standards" while others are saying "no you can't go to the barber, and you better not get shaggy." Each service is treating this differently.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2020/04/07/closed-barber-shops-wont-mean-relaxed-grooming-army-leaders-say/?fbclid=IwAR0lvG4nrur68W8mBa5NfsJJdXN3s2wlEWNLZIql_i6whnhg6w4MnH_JTrU
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:10:42 PM by Travis »