Author Topic: Converted my Girlfriend to Mustachianism!!  (Read 2172 times)

McCannon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Converted my Girlfriend to Mustachianism!!
« on: June 03, 2015, 07:56:18 AM »
...For the most part.

We are 22 with two kids, a 2 year old and a 1 year old, and I'm a stay at home dad. She's about to graduate from college and then we are reversing roles and I'm going to school for two years.

She is, in general, terrible with money to the point of it being crippling, but I have been working hard to gently show her the error of her ways (sometimes leading to massive arguments lol). And now that I have begun reading MMM's stuff, and applying his principles to our life, she's starting to come around!!! I'm so happy about this.

I showed her that even though we only have one income and it isn't much, we can still make a preemptive strike to get ahead. Soon enough we will have two incomes and the real saving can begin. I did this by examining our monthly expenses, totaling about $2700 total (which is f'n stupid) and brought it down to about $2200!! All by using the principles of frugality.

Now both of us are on board with aiming for FIRE in our late 30's or sooner if possible.

Just wanted to share this momentous occasion with you all!

Thanks!

McCannon
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:42:22 AM by McCannon »

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
Re: Converted my Girlfriend to Mustachianism!!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »
Congratulations!!!  I am still working on my fiance, unfortunately, he makes the most money, but loves spending it, and what he doesn't spend, his family mooches from him. 

PtboEliz

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 11:30:09 AM »
Nice work! You are both so young that if you get a good hang of the principles now you will be setting yourself up beautifully for later in life. Keep up the good work!

McCannon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »
Congratulations!!!  I am still working on my fiance, unfortunately, he makes the most money, but loves spending it, and what he doesn't spend, his family mooches from him.

Thanks! I don't have an income right now (other than what I am able to scrounge together by selling things on Kijiji (basically Craig's List)), so it's frustrating that the entirety of our living allowance from student loans is in HER ACCOUNT IN ONE BIG CHUNK!!! So needless to say, about 2 grand was spent on bullshit. But I have made progress with her.

Nice work! You are both so young that if you get a good hang of the principles now you will be setting yourself up beautifully for later in life. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! I truly hope we can accomplish this. It'll be a more difficult battle if I am going it alone.