Author Topic: Contrast shower - another tool for your bad-assity arsenal  (Read 3697 times)

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
Contrast shower - another tool for your bad-assity arsenal
« on: February 04, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »
If you want to feel 200% more bad-ass, then take contrast shower every time you shower.
It's totally worth it, try next time during your shower:
- your normal shower routine
- then make water as hot as you can stand for 2-3 minutes
- then to as cold as the shower goes for a minute or two
- then repeat hot-cold cycle 2-3 times, always end with cold water

If you're already doing this, then bad news, you won't be able to easily increase your bad-assity by 200%.
If you're afraid of stepping into cold water, then don't be. Your body will be quite prepared after hot water, and c'mon try it first, we all on this forum try to be more bad-ass, right?

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Contrast shower - another tool for your bad-assity arsenal
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 07:03:56 PM »
My family does this for me, every time I shower.  I dont even have to worry.  They immediately have a need to turn on cold water in the kitchen...Then they need hot water.  There will be an urgent load of laundry started as soon as I am in the shower.  Lol.

Solomon960

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:36:53 PM »
Is the purpose of a contrast shower simply to acclimate one's body to extreme temperatures? If this methodology would lead to one's body becoming cleaner in less time or via using fewer accessories (i.e. soap, water, pouf, etc.) vs a standard 4-8-min shower, I'd be all for the added efficiency.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 12:55:12 PM »
Alas, here on the dry western coast of CA, we can't spare the water for such self-indulgence. Happily, there are plenty of other ways to prove your badassity ;-)

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 12:08:03 AM »
Is the purpose of a contrast shower simply to acclimate one's body to extreme temperatures? If this methodology would lead to one's body becoming cleaner in less time or via using fewer accessories (i.e. soap, water, pouf, etc.) vs a standard 4-8-min shower, I'd be all for the added efficiency.
It is supposed to strengthen your immune system. I don't have any references to quote to prove one way or the other. I do recommend  you practise kindness to yourself while training to tolerate contrasting.
Also ice baths in the morning some people swear by - invigorating and clarity of focus.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 04:34:53 AM »
You're in Edmonton, for half the year you could go roll in the snow as part of it.

I've done it in my youth, alternating hot tub and snow, but I hate it and don't see much of a benefit for me personally, so I'll be passing on this one.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 06:37:55 AM »
Masochism is not necessarily badass.

Head on over to the water conservation thread if you want to see showering badassery.

Simpli-Fi

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 10:04:06 AM »
damn, thought I was going to learn something...my total show is less time (and water) than one of these cycles.

you want to beee a badass with this, set your house up to recycle and clean your waste water

LetItGrow

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 07:30:46 PM »
Very large pitchers of margaritas, sitting in outdoor hot tub, and the pool looked inviting. We thought we were badass, but In reality just drunk college kids. Back and forth, back and forth.

I go with pretty cold in general and like the other poster said, my total shower time is way less than one of these cycles.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!