Author Topic: Consignment sale kid's clothes are the only way to go!  (Read 3973 times)

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Consignment sale kid's clothes are the only way to go!
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:40:42 PM »
I just went on the last day of our local kid's consignment sale because lots of the clothes are half off. I got 37 pieces for my son and spent an average of $2.22 per piece. I gave myself permission to go a little nuts because I don't particularly want to shop for him again for a while and I think that with this lot and the things he has that still fit I should be set for 6 months or more. I only spent $84 on everything. One great find was an REI fleece toddler jacket for only $2.50! It's in perfect shape so I looked up toddler jackets on the REI website and the cheapest ones are $32. Can't wait to show the husband all the new gear.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Re: Consignment sale kid's clothes are the only way to go!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:41:55 PM »
I love consignment stuff.  I don't understand people who pay full price, but hey, if they did not, I would not get the deals.  :D

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:27:55 PM »
I know! I mean the stuff I get for kid's is barely worn and I can't help wondering if all the stuff is from the original owners or second or third time hand-me-down. My guess is a mix of both.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »
They're especially great for outerwear, which is so expensive otherwise! The last day half-price thing is great. I sometimes bring a tape measure to increase my chances of getting pants that will actually fit my kids... with mixed results :-).

And when you're done with the cloths, you can sell them back!

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »
The chain store Once Upon a Child is wonderful for clothes, shoes, toys and kid misc!  We moved to a city with no stores like this at all, so I rely on my mom to check her local store for DS's stuff.  Thanks Mom! :)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »
I buy almost all my clothes at thrift stores.  One in particular has super deals with barely or never used clothes for way cheap.   I'm and adult male.   Can't imagine paying retail ever again.

When I'm done the go to another consignment store when I have the time.   

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 11:35:15 AM »
I am very thankful that we get a ton of hand-me-downs, so I very rarely buy clothes for my kiddos.  But the few times I have gone to consignment stores, I was not impressed with the prices.  I guess the ones near me are not as good as elsewhere.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 11:43:49 AM »
I am very thankful that we get a ton of hand-me-downs, so I very rarely buy clothes for my kiddos.  But the few times I have gone to consignment stores, I was not impressed with the prices.  I guess the ones near me are not as good as elsewhere.
Consignment shops are more expensive than say, Goodwill but they are done as a store, the clothes are cleaned before they are brought in, I know I don't have to inspect for stains etc.  The extra $1/item is worth the time savings.  But part of it is that I spend about $30, 4 times a year for her clothes so there is a time point for me.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 01:41:18 PM »
I've had the same experiences with consignment shops. The semiannual consignment SALES can be great places to grab bargains... the shops, not so much. They often charge more like 60% than 40% of the original price; you can often do better with a good sale at a department store!

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 01:44:25 PM »
We hit the thrift stores once a week and buy all the stuff that still has the tags on them.  Most of the stuff is under a dollar. What we don't wear, we sell on ebay.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 09:14:31 PM »
Got frustrated with our clothes budget (and DS1's ability to destroy pants in under 6 weeks) so started thrift store shopping over the last few months for DS1 and wow, what a difference.  Goodwill and St. Vincent are quite nice around here. 

Tricks include:  demand high quality (don't settle for crap b/c it's cheap), shop up a few sizes in order to avoid desperation shopping when your kid spurt-grows, have Tide and a toothbrush readily available to remove simple stains from great pieces. 

Some trips yield 5-7 items, others times I have walked out with nothing.  But the budget difference is worth the effort.