Author Topic: Commute  (Read 6378 times)

makstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Commute
« on: October 15, 2013, 07:13:55 AM »
I am a newcomer to MMM. I have been reading for a month or so, making small changes to get my frugality muscles in shape. Today I biked to work for the first time (5 miles) ... in the rain. It wasn't raining when I left, but started within the first half mile. I was tempted to turn around or call the wife to pick me up, but I trudged along and am glad I did. I arrived at work soaked, but my change of clothes were fine. I was refreshed and proud of myself. Now I feel that I can bike commute under even more inclement conditions.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Commute
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 07:33:21 AM »
Nice!  Feels really badass to bike in the rain.  If you don't have some yet, a set of fenders will make it much less unpleasant as well . . .

Nancy

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:44:06 AM »
Badass! Keep it up!

Vasco Da Lama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
(My first post on MMM-forums as well - yay!) Well done, makstache! Based on that experiance I suppose you will remember your rain coat next time. :{)

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »
Way to go!  Biking is fun.  I started bike-commuting in May and I'm hooked.  Best part of my day.

dfrei

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »
+10 points for riding in the rain! I have found the following items to be very helpful when it comes to riding in the rain:

Clipless shoes
Shoe covers
Good rain pants (I got a pair of Goretex on year-end clearance from REI that work great)
Helmet cover (not essential but is kind of nice)
Waterproof mitten shell to go over the regular gloves (allows the regular gloves to stay dry and not be soaked for a week after a ride in the rain)

My commute is similar in length to yours. I ride the 2012 version of this bike in the Pacific Northwest all year long.

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/commute/2013-metro-classic

Keep up the good work!

Hoerwolle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »
*highfive* almost same here!

My commute distance will triple come next week - from less than 2km to 5.5km ;) but since I enjoy riding my bike, I am actually looking forward to it. The 2km were always a bit short, had longer ones in the past. Today I tried out the route to get a feel for the road and the distance and it began to rain - but I had my rainclothes with me and changed under a bridge :)

My tip: get the right clothes for the weather you encounter, I no longer care what weather it is outside, since I can easily get into the right clothes. It *is* an investment, but a good one.

anneinpdx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 07:44:59 PM »
Nice!  I have really buckled down on biking for all distances <5 miles now that we got a cargo bike and I can transport the kids and groceries.  I used to bike as sort of an environmentally responsible chore (bonus guilt from the fact that my husband does bike planning) but now I just love it and hate the confined feeling of my car.  At this rate it looks like I'm down to a fill-up of gas every 2 months or so and saving ~$50 a month.   As an added plus, my jeans are looser!

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 11:05:41 PM »
Very badass!

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »
Way to go!  Biking is fun.  I started bike-commuting in May and I'm hooked.  Best part of my day.

Same here.  I don't get to bike every day for various reasons, and I regret it the days I don't.  I love my ride home, it's great for destressing.

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »
I bike commuted 6 miles for 20 years and used to relish adverse weather conditions.  Long before I became aware of the term "badassity" that's what I was thinking on my ride.

The best were the (very rare in Austin) times when there was snow or an ice storm.  The challenge of riding on black ice was exhilarating.  Sure I busted my ass on the ice a few times, but the pain just made me "harder" :)

Oh and never give up a chance to ride in fresh snow.  No problems with traction.  Empty streets and the acoustics of riding in fresh snow are amazing! Peace and silence except for the soft crunch of now under your tires.  Magical!

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »

Always my (truthful) response when anyone asked how I my commute in was on a cold rainy day.

perthcyclist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • perthcyclist blog
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 08:12:17 PM »
I have been at my current job for 5 years and have bike commuted the whole time :) it just becomes a part of your make up. If I had to catch the train for any reason (I did for about a week when I sprained my ankle too bad to pedal) I always felt dirty and annoyed! I wouldn't dream of driving in, just not an option due to cost (an hour of my day would be gone to pay for my drive in!)

It also locks an hour of exercise in a day, though admittedly it's pretty low intensity, I'm not one of those riders who pretends their commute is a race.

Fenders are a godsend in the wet, so is a good quality rain jacket.

Hoerwolle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 03:24:12 AM »
bonus guilt from the fact that my husband does bike planning)

[...]

As an added plus, my jeans are looser!

What is bike planning?

And: Yes, I look forward to the increased daily workout, I will be riding my bike for about one hour (until I am in shape, then probably less)!

little stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 07:07:59 PM »
Whoot.

I have not missed a day rain or shine. Had ride in a torrential storm and you could barley see on the way home. I felt like a little kid! It was great. Now it is getting into the 40s and I have to think about the colder months ahead. I am starting to look around for advice on how to manage the layers and then find cheap second hand stuff somewhere.

And....doing it since May and saving 88 bucks a month off my old public transit commute...i "paid off my bike" == that investment has turned into a real savings that I auto deposit straight into my "I finally did it" betterment.com account just like it used to come out of the check. No more money under the mattress syndrome. LOL