Author Topic: Communications & Tech - The ISP, VoIP and Cellphone Superguide  (Read 511068 times)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Communications & Tech - The ISP, VoIP and Cellphone Superguide
« Reply #800 on: August 21, 2013, 07:32:45 AM »
iPhone 4S on go smart?  Do I have to jailbreak the phoneorreplace a sim?

Already answered at the beginning of the thread: read this. And a redux of part of the more relevant linked info here.

How is T mobile in DFW?  I've generally heard it sucks.

I can't answer this one, but I do know T-Mobile service for Oklahoma is perfectly fine and the coverage maps are dense for the DFW metroplex. Anyone else in Dallas with a T-Mo MVNO care to answer this one?

They have a hot chick in their commercials though.

...aaaaand we're done. Good luck finding an MVNO.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #801 on: August 21, 2013, 07:34:27 AM »
Airvoice website has undergone major changes.

Here's a link to their new unlimited plans page https://www.airvoicewireless.com/PlansA.aspx

Yup, they sure have. ;)

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #802 on: August 22, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »
As for the whole 2G/3G thing... EDGE data speeds are plenty fine for email and text communications, and the slower data speed might actually help save some unnecessary data usage as well leading to lower costs.
I don't mind the slower data speeds most of the time, but judging from my experience on Straight Talk, in my area, latency is bad with 3G, but it's even worse on EDGE. On the other hand, my phone consistently shows 1-2 bars more signal when running on EDGE. There is also a theoretical improvement in battery runtime by turning off 3G. I don't really notice a difference, and it's generally not a big deal, because I'm near a charger most of the time.

Thanks again for your help. I'm leaning towards Airvoice at this point.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #803 on: August 23, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »
The wife went through $15 on pageplus' paygo plan in 16 days!  She had a business trip for 3 days with a lot of mobile usage, but damn.  I was expecting $15 to last her two months.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #804 on: August 23, 2013, 10:10:40 AM »
The wife went through $15 on pageplus' paygo plan in 16 days!  She had a business trip for 3 days with a lot of mobile usage, but damn.  I was expecting $15 to last her two months.

It happens, and it's why I run a balance of at least two months of average service use on my pay as you go accounts for just such heavy burst occasions.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #805 on: August 27, 2013, 05:03:31 AM »
just heard about this phone plan but I've been using their android app and I do like it

https://www.textnow.com/phone not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. It works like republic wireless, uses textnow's app to make wifi calls/texts when possible, and sprint towers when not.

What I like about textnow is that it lets you earn free minutes watching ads. I'm not sure if the phone plan can use these minutes though. But this is one up on Google Voice. I don't use many international calls/texts so the minutes don't add up, but it does come in handy once in a while. North America is free though, and some other countries

comes out to be 2 to 2.5 cents per minute of calling (depending on plan), if you make calls up to 750 minutes/month. I make like 5 minutes :( so not worth it for me, but for someone that talks a lot, maybe
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:10:43 AM by eyem »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #806 on: August 27, 2013, 06:55:14 AM »
just heard about this phone plan but I've been using their android app and I do like it

https://www.textnow.com/

Yup.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #807 on: August 27, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »
hm sorry IP didn't see that post before

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #808 on: August 27, 2013, 09:05:19 AM »
No worries, just wanted to make sure others were aware of it as well. Stuff like that can sometimes get lost in this thread.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #809 on: August 28, 2013, 06:44:05 AM »
For anyone interested Google just dropped the price of the Nexus 4. $199 off contract (249 for the 16gb)

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_8gb&hl=en

wheatstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #810 on: August 28, 2013, 03:49:44 PM »
Thanks, Cromacster, that looks like a great deal.  The Nexus 4 already had good reviews at $300 for 8GB version.
What MVNO's work best with this phone?  Airvoice? Ptel? others?

I am a 500 text, 300 min, light data google voice user now on a $30/month 1200 min/ 3000 text/ 500 mb:  PagePlus/CDMA plan. 
I love page plus from old verizon plan.  I prefer the idea of going to GSM for a new phone.

This thread helped cut my monthly bill in half.  Thanks, I.P. Daley. 

Thanks

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #811 on: August 28, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »
Thanks, Cromacster, that looks like a great deal.  The Nexus 4 already had good reviews at $300 for 8GB version.

I am a 500 text, 300 min, light data google voice user now on a $30/month 1200 min/ 3000 text/ 500 mb:  PagePlus/CDMA plan. 
I love page plus from old verizon plan.  I prefer the idea of going to GSM for a new phone.

Thanks

The Nexus 4 is a pentaband GSM phone, so any AT&T or T-Mobile based MVNO will be fine on the data end if you care about data speed. If you're happy with the price point but want to make the jump to GSM, Airvoice's $30/month plan would probably fit you best without further modifying and reducing your mobile communications needs.

As to helping you save the scratch, glad to help! :)

dahlink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #812 on: August 29, 2013, 03:57:49 AM »
For anyone interested Google just dropped the price of the Nexus 4. $199 off contract (249 for the 16gb)

I wish I did not see this.  Now I cannot stop thinking about buying it and selling my iphone 4.  I'm just not sure that the coverage will be any good where I live.  Verizon has my area on lockdown, all the other carriers have poor or mediocre reception.  FWP I guess lol.  I'll sleep on it before taking the plunge.  Guess if the coverage is real bad I could return it to google within the return period.

I like that it works with the wireless charging docks.  It is said to work with the nokia dock that is in this video.  Looks pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZo2pA0Qc9U

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: August 29, 2013, 06:06:36 AM »

Thanks

I ordered a Nexus 4 yesterday and I am going to make the jump from Verizon to Ptel.  Good timing too, my old phone just got ran over by a few cars.

Thanks to this thread I learned about other options outside of VZW/ATT etc...

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #814 on: August 29, 2013, 06:40:11 AM »

That's an incredible price, especially if you're comparing it to the off contract price of the HTC One, Galaxy S4, or Moto X. I really wanted the Galaxy S4, but it seems like the Nexus has 90% of the features for less than half the price. The glass back seems to be prone to damage, so you may want to pick up a cover or case. I'm also considering upgrading my iPhone 4 to an Android, so this is very timely.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #815 on: August 29, 2013, 08:04:01 AM »

That's an incredible price, especially if you're comparing it to the off contract price of the HTC One, Galaxy S4, or Moto X. I really wanted the Galaxy S4, but it seems like the Nexus has 90% of the features for less than half the price. The glass back seems to be prone to damage, so you may want to pick up a cover or case. I'm also considering upgrading my iPhone 4 to an Android, so this is very timely.

Still no Ting support though :(

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #816 on: August 30, 2013, 12:47:37 PM »
I came in to post about the Nexus.  Its the one I've been fighting myself over for the last 4 months, and I think google finally won.  When I get back into town after next week I am likely going to place the order and then switch over to Ptel or something.  I guess I should also check out this Airvoice $30 plan while I'm at it.

What sucks is I think the PagePlus $29 is absolutely perfect for me when I decide to expand from my current $12 plan, but it won't take the Nexus 4.  The Airvoice and Ptel $30 and $40 plan have that 'unlimited' nonsense.

Oh, and I saw this today which made me think of this thread for some reason.  http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/08/nokias-nicest-dumbphon/

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:50:53 PM by adam »

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #817 on: August 30, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »
Its the one I've been fighting myself over for the last 4 months, and I think google finally won. 

Ditto. I'm waiting for Apple's official announcement on September 10, but if the rumors are correct and they don't introduce something with a larger screen, I don't think they'll be in the running for me. Plus, if history is any guide, you probably won't be able to get one without a contract for several months.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #818 on: August 30, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
Plus, if history is any guide, you probably won't be able to get one without a contract for several months.

I don't think history applies because the iPhone is now available on T-Mobile, which did away with contracts*. I think you'll be able to purchase an unlocked iPhone 5-whatever the day it's released, not that I'm saying anyone should.

* - There's still a "promise to pay" contract if you take the $149 down + $21 per month for 24 months.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #819 on: August 30, 2013, 01:39:30 PM »
Its the one I've been fighting myself over for the last 4 months, and I think google finally won. 

Ditto. I'm waiting for Apple's official announcement on September 10, but if the rumors are correct and they don't introduce something with a larger screen, I don't think they'll be in the running for me. Plus, if history is any guide, you probably won't be able to get one without a contract for several months.

Apple doesn't even matter for me any more, nobody can touch the price of the Nexus 4 with any 'new', decently rated smartphone without a subsidised contract price.  I had people telling me, wait for the new Motorola Droid, or get a Galaxy S4, or a Note 3, and I was like "Isn't every one of those $600 and up?".  Yeah, $600 vs $200.  Clear winner (if you're in the market for a 'new' smartphone.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #820 on: August 30, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »
Apple doesn't even matter for me any more, nobody can touch the price of the Nexus 4 with any 'new', decently rated smartphone without a subsidised contract price. 

I agree. To be fair, I'm comparing the $249 price of the 16 GB Nexus 4, since most other devices start out at 16 GB. Although my iPhone 4 is 32 GB, I know I can easily get by with 16 GB, but 8 GB would fill up pretty quick by the time I add part of my music collection, some apps, and probably 2 GB or so for Slacker Radio to cache some stations.

James81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #821 on: September 01, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »
Is there a how to in this big ole thread for putting Airvoice Wireless onto your smartphone?

I have a Galaxy S3 that was through US Cellular. Is there anything special I need to do to get it to work?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #822 on: September 01, 2013, 06:17:03 PM »
Is there a how to in this big ole thread for putting Airvoice Wireless onto your smartphone?

No there isn't, because "putting Airvoice Wireless onto your smartphone" involves nothing more than placing an Airvoice SIM card into your carrier unlocked GSM phone and following their own listed data configuration directions.

I have a Galaxy S3 that was through US Cellular. Is there anything special I need to do to get it to work?

Yes, contact US Cellular and establish an account with them.

You need to learn the difference between CDMA and GSM, and what the difference is between them... and for the sake of argument how LTE fits into all this.

USC is a CDMA provider, and CDMA based handsets (for the sake of simplicity) cannot even be taken to other CDMA providers most times. There are some exceptions to this rule with some CDMA MVNOs and smaller regional providers so long as the CDMA phone is unlocked, but support for services can be twitchy. Further, these sorts of things require a great deal of technical knowledge frequently, and it's easier to just state that CDMA handsets aren't provider network portable for most folks.

There is a very minor exception to this, however. Any carrier unlocked (or unlockable) CDMA/GSM world phone from say USC, Verizon, Sprint, etc., that has support for the US GSM frequency bands (850, 1900MHZ bands) can work with GSM based MVNOs like Airvoice and Platinumtel. A good example of this is the Verizon iPhone 5 (or many other Verizon 4G LTE device due to the 700MHz C block spectrum acquisition requirements - but that hasn't been evenly applied across all of their LTE devices), as although it cannot be activated on any other CDMA provider's network, you can place a GSM SIM card in it from say Airvoice and have it work with little effort. The key here though, is that the GSM radio is available and carrier unlocked first. Odds are, if the phone isn't already ready to go, you're going to need to either have a lot of technical knowledge and skill first to make this happen, or you're going to have to pay someone who does know how to do it for you. I don't say this to offend or to discourage learning, but if someone is honestly asking something as simple as how to set up a smartphone to fully work with a GSM provider, they likely aren't going to be clever enough to do the work necessary to make a CDMA 4G LTE device GSM network friendly, even if the hardware, baseband and software can even support it in the first place.

Now, back to your USC Galaxy S3. I know you technically have a SIM card slot for LTE service, but pay attention to the network section there on the Samsung website. I know that over at XDA there have been some extremely crazy individuals who have flashed and baseband hacked various CDMA + 4G LTE Android devices to work with GSM providers on a limited basis where they weren't necessarily designed to, but most of that success is with - you guessed it - Sprint and Verizon handsets with full GSM radio support. If you still don't believe me, go ask the folks over at Team US Cellular, but I suggest you read this FAQ post first, and take note of the first general question in big bold letters. Then read this stickied thread in their S3 board. Finally, read this thread at XDA and take note that other USC S3 users haven't been successful. I'm sure there's probably some folks claiming success (in other threads there and elsewhere), but they appear to be far and few between and most others can't seem to replicate their success. I'm sorry that this is the case, but it can't be helped.

I suppose that it is theoretically possible with enough work, but I think it's safe to say that it's improbable with a very high risk and very low payout. It would also be a far wiser investment of time, money and resources to just use the right tool for the job in the first place, with the Galaxy S3 ranking pretty low in both the useful tool and good buy for the money device spectrums (even the already GSM native models, especially in context of the handful of posts right above your question talking about the new Nexus 4 prices). If you still insist on risking the possibility of bricking the phone to try and get it onto a network it wasn't meant for anyway, there's better resources and places to ask than here. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that even despite my bending over backwards to try to explain to you why this is a bad idea, this simply isn't the thread, board or community you should be asking this question of in the first place.

TL;DR: NO. IF YOU WANT A HIGH END ANDROID PHONE ON A GSM NETWORK, BUY A GSM NATIVE ANDROID PHONE.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 06:19:17 PM by I.P. Daley »

dahlink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #823 on: September 01, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
so i bought the nexus 4 after sleeping on it for a day.  Trouble is, now I have buyers remorse and cannot cancel the order lol.  I'll have to just refuse the package when it gets here.  I think the longer I wait to upgrade, the cheaper and better they will be when that time comes. 

James81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #824 on: September 02, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
In fact, I'll go so far as to say that even despite my bending over backwards to try to explain to you why this is a bad idea, this simply isn't the thread, board or community you should be asking this question of in the first place.

Do you mind if I ask you why you gave me kind of a snarky answer about this?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #825 on: September 02, 2013, 11:29:11 AM »
It's ridiculously complicated and requires plenty of hacking, rooting, and unlocking, and you couldn't be bothered to do as much as click the search button at the top of the page. In context (rather than out of context as you've presented it) I think the sentence is suggesting that the kind of person capable of the amount of software work required to "[put] Airvoice Wireless" on an S3 is the kind of person who would at least know the first of the four or five steps required to look for the answer.

If I had to guess, I'd say that's where the snark came from.

James81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #826 on: September 02, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »
It's ridiculously complicated and requires plenty of hacking, rooting, and unlocking, and you couldn't be bothered to do as much as click the search button at the top of the page. In context (rather than out of context as you've presented it) I think the sentence is suggesting that the kind of person capable of the amount of software work required to "[put] Airvoice Wireless" on an S3 is the kind of person who would at least know the first of the four or five steps required to look for the answer.

If I had to guess, I'd say that's where the snark came from.

How exactly is a question in a thread called the cellphone superguide out of context? I've read most of the guide as presented on the first page about the different setup plans and what not. Of the options presented, I figured Airvoice was probably the best bet at having decent service, so I scoured their website looking for info and didn't find it. When I wasn't sure how it worked, I came and asked the guy who seems to be the cell phone expert here if it were possible.

In my head I did the first couple of steps to try and find the answer. If it wasn't possible, he could have just said "Nah, that's not possible" and left it at that. I mean it was at HIS suggestion that I was even looking in the first place after he came into my Google voice thread and suggested that the way I was doing thing was inefficient as far as cell phones were concerned.

I just don't understand what the heck the big deal is. If you don't want to answer my questions, then don't answer them. I can find the answer somewhere else. I came to you because you seem to know what you're talking about and because of the size of this thread, I assumed you enjoy talking about and answering people's questions about it. Sheesh.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #827 on: September 02, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »
Your post isn't out of context. Your quote took Daley's sentence out of context and missed that he was saying the process is difficult. What I think he was getting at is that HoFo or XDA is probably a more suitable place to start if you've got a single specific piece of poorly compatible hardware that you want help with than a single thread on a general forum.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #828 on: September 02, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
In fact, I'll go so far as to say that even despite my bending over backwards to try to explain to you why this is a bad idea, this simply isn't the thread, board or community you should be asking this question of in the first place.

Do you mind if I ask you why you gave me kind of a snarky answer about this?

I just don't understand what the heck the big deal is. If you don't want to answer my questions, then don't answer them.

If you want to say it's a snarky response, more power to you... but that quote was torn from context, not intended to be snarky, and it doesn't change the reality spoken that this is neither the thread, board, or community you should consult in regards to trying to physically reprogram a CDMA-LTE cellphone for possible GSM network usage. Those places would be Android Dev forums like XDA Devs, SDX Devs, and their ilk. It's a highly technical and involved process at best to perform if it's even physically possible, and if you'd actually bothered to spend 30 seconds with Google in advance you'd have know that because CDMA and GSM phones are not compatible technologies, and just because LTE is an extension of GSM data technology, it doesn't mean that the existence of LTE radios shoehorned onto CDMA handsets will somehow magically allow every CDMA-based device to work as a GSM telephone. This is not some super-highly technically specialized cellphone support board, it's a financial independence and early retirement community, and you're simply not going to get the level of advice or guidance (even from me, even in this thread) for trying to make a very specific model of Android handset to do what it wasn't built to do by default.

I go out of my way to do your 30 seconds of Google searching, condense the hours of resulting research into a singular heavily documented and technical explanation answering why I can't answer your seemingly simple question (one I might add I had quietly and graciously spent a fair amount of time on for your benefit on the off-chance it was even possible, and then provided the resulting information without any strings attached) as to why you probably can't do what you're wanting to do and how it would be unwise to try anyway, and why if you insist on chasing down that rabbit hole anyway that this isn't the right place to do so...

...I just don't have the right words to end this thing without returning barbs.

Edit: I removed the last line and tweaked a bit, it was needlessly antagonistic, and for that I will genuinely apologize for doing.

Still got a couple days left of Elul... not that repentance should ever be limited to a single month.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:54:08 PM by I.P. Daley »

James81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #829 on: September 02, 2013, 12:53:34 PM »
You should consider that I didn't realize that you had to reprogram the phone and that I, in my ignorance, thought you could use air voice with any phone.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #830 on: September 02, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »
You should consider that I didn't realize that you had to reprogram the phone and that I, in my ignorance, thought you could use air voice with any phone.

Which is why I gave you that giant write-up in the first place.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #831 on: September 02, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »
Let's step back for a moment and give everyone the benefit of the doubt here.

it doesn't change the reality spoken that this is neither the thread, board, or community you should consult in regards to trying to physically reprogram a CDMA-LTE cellphone for possible GSM network usage. Those places would be Android Dev forums like XDA Devs, SDX Devs, and their ilk. It's a highly technical and involved process at best to perform if it's even physically possible

IP: James81 had no idea that this was the case.. from his perspective he was asking a simple question, not realizing it was so complicated, and thus not even considering diving into another source that may have a more complex answer.  It seems he was hoping for a "pop in the sim card and change this one setting and you're good to go."  Unfortunately that wasn't the case.  But the question asked was innocent enough.

I just don't understand what the heck the big deal is. If you don't want to answer my questions, then don't answer them. I can find the answer somewhere else. I came to you because you seem to know what you're talking about and because of the size of this thread, I assumed you enjoy talking about and answering people's questions about it. Sheesh.

James: Try to understand that IP gets asked ridiculous questions about how to do the most around-the-bend things.  He, in his generosity, genuinely tries to help people, but sometimes people take advantage of that and ask him to help with quite labor intensive things.  This his response, if a bit snarky, was more in frustration at that, thinking you were doing the same thing as many before.  To him, your question seemed to come from a place of "I know this is tricky - figure it out for me" rather than "I know nothing about this, is it tricky?"  He was responding more out of past frustration at the former question, since he didn't realize the latter was more the case (in which instance, I'd assume, he'd have responded with a short "your phone is CDMA, not GSM, you'd have to reprogram the whole thing, which is beyond the scope here, sorry").

Just a simple misunderstanding on where people are coming from on this.  :)

I think the simplest answer to your question is: sell your CDMA Galaxy on Craigslist and buy a GSM Galaxy on Craigslist.  Then it should be quite straightforward to get it on airvoice, and I'm sure IP would be glad to help with any questions you have on this.

Cheer up fellows!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #832 on: September 04, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »
so i bought the nexus 4 after sleeping on it for a day.  Trouble is, now I have buyers remorse and cannot cancel the order lol.  I'll have to just refuse the package when it gets here.  I think the longer I wait to upgrade, the cheaper and better they will be when that time comes.

If it hasn't arrived yet, you might want to consider hanging onto it anyway instead of refusing delivery in light of the new news.

If you're sold and stuck on the platform, and were looking to retire phones soon anyway... you could do a lot worse than you've already done.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:57:19 AM by I.P. Daley »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #833 on: September 07, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »
Just a few news updates from over my little mini-vacation:

AT&T's AIO Wireless is now open to subscribers nationwide. There's not much there worth writing home about outside of their $70 Aio Pro 7GB package (if you actually need that kind of data), and their $15 250MB Aio Tablet plan. That said, they are ultimately AT&T (feh), they have restrictions on what plans you can utilize based on IMEI number (no cheaper "unlimited" plans for smartphones, for example), and of course no tethering and a litany of heinous terms and conditions restrictions like arbitration only, 100 day legal action window, and restrictions on types of data use... the rest is pretty bog standard. Even though they are owned by AT&T doesn't mean it guarantees long-term success even in the MVNO world, it just means you'll get shunted to another brand and grandfathered in when it fails instead of just having the company disappear. (Like what happened to Sprint's Common Cents brand and how they eventually folded them into Virgin Mobile after the brand failed.) It is still a safer bet than say Ultra Wireless or Lyca.

There is a little bit of positive news in that, however... AT&T is doing data access structuring similar to T-Mobile where they heavily throttle overages instead of cut-off data entirely.

And speaking of Aio and T-Mobile, it's pretty clear there's deliberate bear poking going on here... especially with slide two on Aio's website. Can you say "tacky" boys and girls? I knew you could.

Airvoice Wireless has finally officially updated their website with their new pay as you go data prices. It's officially 6.6¢/MB on their $10 Talk & Text and PAYG plans. I (and others) were off by a whopping 3/5ths of a cent.

Edit: Updated and altered Aio Wireless details.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:25:21 AM by I.P. Daley »

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #834 on: September 09, 2013, 12:30:11 PM »

Thanks

I ordered a Nexus 4 yesterday and I am going to make the jump from Verizon to Ptel.  Good timing too, my old phone just got ran over by a few cars.

Thanks to this thread I learned about other options outside of VZW/ATT etc...

Got my Nexus 4 (so did my wife) Made the switch off VZW.  The cellphone bill for us went from 158/mo to 64/mo.  Woo!

iamsoners

• Stubble
« Reply #835 on: September 10, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »
*Deep Breath*

First, thanks for the very detailed information from IP and other commentators.  This is not my forte and after a few hours of sorting through these posts, my head is spinning a bit but I think I'm almost there in figuring out my next steps, just need one bit of advice from the community.

I'm currently on Sprint using about 225 minutes, 475 texts and 350mb of data a month--I'm on an employee's plan so I get a decent rate, $45, but I'm ready to cut it.  I was all set to take my HTC Evo 4g over to Ting and drop the data, putting me at an estimated $20/mo but I was messing around in my sprint account and realized I could get a $20/month plan with them if I don't use data--the hang up seems to be that I can't just cancel data on my Evo, I would have to get a downgraded phone. From what I can discern, none of the downgraded phones  have wifi, which I'd like to keep, but maybe I'm missing something? (http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_wall.jsp?filterString=basic_feature&isDeeplinked=true&INTNAV=ATG:HE:Basicphones)

Does anyone know a work around on being able to drop data from Sprint (and the $10/mo surcharge) without losing wifi capacity? Or should I just take the plunge with Ting?

Thanks again--I'm planning to donate the first months saving to tornado relief (or elsewhere if you have a preference IP).

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #836 on: September 10, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »
Soners, unfortunately given the restrictions that Sprint has put on their $20/month plan, it basically eliminates any possible phone with WiFi access (this is meant as a NO SMARTPHONES ALLOWED style plan - partly because they don't want people to realize they can operate smartphones without paying obscene prices for data EDIT to be able to get data access of any kind on their handsets without paying them for it). You have two options, you either ditch the smartphone and rock an old school flip phone or whatnot and stay with Sprint, or keep the Evo and go to Ting. Six a one, half dozen the other. Price is about the same monthly, it just comes down to personal preference on handset.

As for the generous offer on donating to relief efforts in the area, please PM me before doing so.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:20:54 PM by I.P. Daley »

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #837 on: September 10, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »
For those considering the Nexus 4 here is my experience over the past month:

Buy a phone used from eBay.  I love the N4 but you can find them for $50-$60 cheaper in great condition used and potentially avoid other taxes.

I used T-Mobile's $30/mo prepaid plan (available from walmart.com).  The Nexus 4 is LTE capable and that plan gives you 5GB of LTE, unlimited texting and 100 minutes/month, then $0.10 per min after.  You have to unlock the bootloader and root, then flash a radio to get t-mobile LTE.  This is all free and just requires some time following directions from the good souls at xda.

My plan was to use VOIP to have 5GB of LTE and unlimited calling minutes.  Unfortunately the N4 has very crappy call hardware for VOIP.  I had very bad echos on GrooveIP, Viber, Spare Phone, etc.  Skype and Line2 worked reasonably well.  Both cost the same for LTE calling.

Despite what others say, VOIP calling is fine in an LTE area with low ping.  I'm in the Bay Area and see pings of 30-50ms with t-mobilSkype had the best call quality by far but the worst interface.  Line2 has great features and interface but their voice codec doesn't sound as good.

In the end i went with a higher end phone with better voice hardware, a $2.99 Skype monthly plan plus tmobile and a ~$6 permanent skype number for a ~$40/mo cadillac plan.  The unlimited minutes were important to me so I can ditch my employer's phone and get a stipend of around $24 per month to use my own.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #838 on: September 10, 2013, 06:34:54 PM »
I'm from Canada and I'll visiting the Vegas area for 2 weeks. I'm looking for cheap way to keep members of my group in touch (text and voice). A few of us have nexus 4 devices, but our roaming rates to the US are stupid ($2/min, $0.75/text) ... So i'm looking for local options.

So far I've seen a $30 sim + (text/voice) deal at walmart and many places seem to sell a disposable phones with minutes and some text for around the same price.

Any better ideas?

Any recommendation?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #839 on: September 10, 2013, 09:22:54 PM »
In the end i went with a higher end phone with better voice hardware, a $2.99 Skype monthly plan plus tmobile and a ~$6 permanent skype number for a ~$40/mo cadillac plan.  The unlimited minutes were important to me so I can ditch my employer's phone and get a stipend of around $24 per month to use my own.

Sorry TurboLT, I'm going to use you as a case study on how not to do cell phone service.

See, I find this sort of thinking absolutely crackers. You drag VoIP into the mix and use data for "unlimited" minutes per month to call, you suffer the faults and shortcomings of using VoIP on a wireless network, you expose yourself to even higher radiation levels, you shell out even more money to a proprietary VoIP provider like Skype to try and make it tolerable, and you spend even more money to do so just so you can what, exactly? Binge on ridiculous amounts of streaming media so you're not bored outside of the house?

There are "unlimited" talk and text plans available on the GSM end (without data) for as little as $25 a month (Spot Mobile) that suffer none of the caveats of using VoIP over wireless, there's $30 plans that come with chunks of data ranging between 100 and 250MB of 3G data which is plenty with some light data discipline (Airvoice, Spot), there's $35 plans that provide "unlimited" 2G data (GoSmart), there's equally priced at $40 plans that provide 1GB of data (which is a tad more than the national average of smartphone data use) or plans that offer "unlimited" 2G data with the first 250MB at 3G speeds (P'tel), and for an extra $5 a month, you could get everything you claim your "cadillac plan" has including the 5GB of high speed data without multiple phone numbers, third party ROMs for a stock Google device, third party bolt-on VoIP apps, paying money to multiple parties, potentially violating your Terms & Conditions agreement (check section 18(i) in your case - it's not expressly forbidden like they used to or some other carriers currently do, but incoming VoIP technically requires some level of keep-alive to ensure calls ring through, amongst other things), and relying on dodgy VoIP over wireless to make your "unlimited" calling while out and about (GoSmart).

This is exactly the sort of thinking that happens when you let your wireless shopping be lead around by your data habit and what I warn against over believing that you need unlimited anything, huge gobs of data, or high-speed (HSPA+ or LTE) data. It isn't a smart and frugal setup or a "cadillac plan", it's not even a setup that effectively "cheats" the system with significant savings without "sacrifice" by using alternate data technologies, it's simply poor planning and a terrible setup for the money spent, with or without the possible T&C violation... and the thing that gets me the most is, I've already been over why this is a bad setup for the money and I already specifically showed you these plans last month.

More is not always better, especially when you're also attempting to squeeze every last penny spent while greedily taking as much as possible instead of simply being practical and paying for what you actually need. Frequently, you'll find the simplest and easiest solution is barely more expensive than that hacky kludge you're trying to use to do the same thing, and sometimes can be even cheaper if you just pay attention and do your homework. There is such a thing as being too cheap, and that mindset frequently manifests as being penny wise and pound foolish. Ridiculous things have been done to ultimately save $5 a month on an "unlimited" talk and text with 5GB data cellphone plan that's only supposed to cost $30 but actually costs $40 to make it tolerable to use... and ironically enough, your actual needs could probably be met better with a different $30 plan from another provider by exercising a modicum of self discipline and pre-planning with your data usage to make it happen.

My plan was to use VOIP to have 5GB of LTE and unlimited calling minutes.  Unfortunately the N4 has very crappy call hardware for VOIP.  I had very bad echos on GrooveIP, Viber, Spare Phone, etc.  Skype and Line2 worked reasonably well.  Both cost the same for LTE calling.

Despite what others say, VOIP calling is fine in an LTE area with low ping.  I'm in the Bay Area and see pings of 30-50ms with t-mobilSkype had the best call quality by far but the worst interface.  Line2 has great features and interface but their voice codec doesn't sound as good.

My old Samsung Intercept could do proper SIP calls on WiFi just fine, and it was a tenth of the phone that the Nexus 4 is. There's also very little wiggle room on criticizing a stock Google device on its supposed hardware performance involving data tasks when you replace that stock firmware with a hacked ROM designed to enable LTE on a device that only supports LTE Band 4 (1700/2100) AWS on a fluke (despite it's "twin" LG Optimus G E975 having relatively full LTE support) and wasn't properly designed or certified on the hardware level for LTE support in the first place. Don't blame the hardware, blame the data network and the user, especially when the chief complaint is echo on VoIP service over a wireless cellular network on a prepaid plan with postpaid data prioritization (check the fine print). I find it telling that the most successful VoIP apps for making calls on the T-Mobile wireless network are VoIP apps that use some of the highest compression, highest latency tolerance, and lowest bandwidth codecs usable for voice service. It's also a living testament as to why I keep saying VoIP over wireless is a bad idea in the first place for core voice services. Data gets prioritized straight to the bottom on the network hierarchy for latency and throughput, doubly so for prepaid and MVNO customers.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:14:08 AM by I.P. Daley »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #840 on: September 10, 2013, 09:29:25 PM »
I'm from Canada and I'll visiting the Vegas area for 2 weeks. I'm looking for cheap way to keep members of my group in touch (text and voice). A few of us have nexus 4 devices, but our roaming rates to the US are stupid ($2/min, $0.75/text) ... So i'm looking for local options.

So far I've seen a $30 sim + (text/voice) deal at walmart and many places seem to sell a disposable phones with minutes and some text for around the same price.

Any better ideas?

Any recommendation?

First, let's address everyone's current phones. Are they GSM phones? (Clearly yes with the Nexus 4.) Is it carrier unlocked already? (Again, likely yes if it's a Nexus 4.) If the answer is yes to both questions for everyone, your best options are going to be surprising as all you'll need is a SIM card and you'll be laughing. Less wasteful than a burner phone, and way cheaper.

Scenario One: Ability to Call Canada and/or Huge Potential Minute Buckets

Spot Mobile has a 15 day "unlimited" international talk, text and 128kbps data plan for $23. You can buy SIM cards on Ebay for as cheap as five for a buck with free shipping if you can find someone in the Vegas area willing to let you use their shipping address for you. They run off the T-Mobile network, which appears to have decent coverage in the Vegas area. Just tuck your Canadian SIMs into your wallets and Bob's your uncle.

Otherwise, any old burner from Walmart or the airport with enough minutes to serve your needs that allows international calling and texting to Canada should work. (Just be sure to check for this as international calling isn't a given with most MVNOs, even with Canada, and some even require using a calling-card style calling portal where you have to dial a number before you dial a number!) When it's going to be pitch and dump service, you don't need to shop for quality providers. Brands like Lycamobile, Ready SIM, Roam Mobile (which is targeted at Canadians heading south), and Net10 (though I still feel squeamish for recommending America Movil under general principle) are officially on the table with this as going that route packaged with a phone and some minutes will likely be cheaper than going the Spot route and buying a carrier unlocked beater to go with if you can't even borrow one. Just remember, you shouldn't need to spend more than about $25-35 per head for phone service under your situation, so it's reasonable to state that you'll probably want to stay at or under $40-50 before tax if you're buying something that includes a burner phone with that international service.

Red Pocket should also be considered under this possible situation.

Scenario Two: Nobody's Calling Canada and/or Calling Will Be Limited

Now, if you're not looking for huge gobs of minutes, want to go cheap, and not necessarily looking to do much if any Canada calling, P'tel Real PayGo would probably be your best bet. You can get five to ten SIM cards off Ebay for under $4 with free shipping. Their Real PayGo rates would be 2¢ a text, 5¢ a minute, 10¢ a MB of data (if needed), with a minimum investment of $10 a person. You can't do direct dial to Canada, but you can still call for an extra 1¢ a minute via dialing 835 first. The only way you could go cheaper per person would be paying 10¢ a minute and 5¢ a text via Spot Mobile as their smallest PAYG credit is $5 (one of the smallest PAYG denominations available with any provider).

This should cover any number of possible scenarios that could be extrapolated from your presented situation, and hopefully even opens up a bit of selection and extended usage options.

No matter what route you take, just be sure to pick up a cheap micro SIM cutter before hand for any SIM cards you get for the Nexus4 if needed just to simplify the process if you can't/don't find pre-cut bulk SIM cards or might have mixed size needs. You don't want to spend a lot of time cutting and sanding SIM cards for disposable service.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:33:26 AM by I.P. Daley »

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #841 on: September 10, 2013, 09:56:20 PM »
Awesome info! I think option #2 is will be our ticket (the data will be useful too).

Thanks for making this thread

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #842 on: September 10, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »
Awesome info! I think option #2 is will be our ticket (the data will be useful too).

Thanks for making this thread

Just be sure to turn off wireless background data first so you don't chew through your balance, and selectively turn it back on only when you need it. Android is a bit less data hungry than an iPhone, but 100MB of data also isn't all that much (especially if you want to make calls and send texts, too) unless you've already tuned your phone to keep wireless data use to a screaming minimum.

Anyway, glad to be of help. Happy trails and safe travels, Swiper!

Mini-Mer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #843 on: September 11, 2013, 06:18:03 AM »
Just popping in to say, thank you Mr. Daley!  I used the Superguide to switch from Verizon to Airvoice this month. 

My 'startup costs' were about $250, including a new Nexus 4 (clearance price).  Definitely possible to go cheaper there (used phone, dumbphone, etc.), but even that will pay for itself in 6-7 months.  And the setup was a bit of a project - in retrospect I should have called Airvoice sooner.  Their customer service was very helpful.

By far the most important thing I did was a 3G 'fast' before switching.  I had gotten very complacent about data use.  Better phone habits and vigilant use of wifi cut down my data 'needs' by a lot, which made a prepaid plan more attractive.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #844 on: September 11, 2013, 07:22:49 AM »
Sorry TurboLT, I'm going to use you as a case study on how not to do cell phone service.

See, I find this sort of thinking absolutely crackers. You drag VoIP into the mix and use data for "unlimited" minutes per month to call, you suffer the faults and shortcomings of using VoIP on a wireless network, you expose yourself to even higher radiation levels, you shell out even more money to a proprietary VoIP provider like Skype to try and make it tolerable, and you spend even more money to do so just so you can what, exactly? Binge on ridiculous amounts of streaming media so you're not bored outside of the house?

I donno about the specifics of the plan in question, but I would personally rather pay $X/mo for unlimited data and 0 minutes of phone usage (and have to use voip and its shortcomings) than the same $X/mo and have unlimited voice/text but very little data (say 1GB or less).

It really depends on one's use scenario, and data is far more valuable to me than voice.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #845 on: September 11, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »
Ting update for folks:

Ting has now introduced a new permanent ETF relief deal, where they'll credit your account 25% of your ETF costs with your current carrier up to $75 to switch to them. Between this and the fact that it's pretty drop-dead easy to get a $25 referral credit as well, this should make it even harder for some folks to keep procrastinating because of the potential investment costs to switch.

Just popping in to say, thank you Mr. Daley!

Glad to have helped, Mini-Mer. Congrats on the data usage fast and the savings!

I donno about the specifics of the plan in question, but I would personally rather pay $X/mo for unlimited data and 0 minutes of phone usage (and have to use voip and its shortcomings) than the same $X/mo and have unlimited voice/text but very little data (say 1GB or less).

It really depends on one's use scenario, and data is far more valuable to me than voice.

TurboLT is referencing the T-Mobile $30/month 100 minute + 5GB high speed prepaid data (and unmetered 2G data) after package available through Smallwart and referenced here. The problem is in order to even make the VoIP usable, it can wind up costing another $10 a month for some paid VoIP services designed around flaky wireless data usage (something he had to do) that still wouldn't even be usable for voice on a 2G connection (arguably the bulk of T-Mobile's national network coverage - and may be a terms violation to boot, which could lead to account termination - excuse the express forbidding on tethering), and at this point you're only spending $5 less per month for the exact "same" level of service through GoSmart (which is owned by T-Mobile) without any of the caveats or any of the finite high speed data allotment being used for phone services.

I get where you're going with this, Rebel... but you're talking about something that simply doesn't exist at this price point or even in the MVNO sphere, and likely will never exist at any price point in general that would be significantly cheaper than having voice and text services already bolted onto the package at the MNO level. MVNOs will always have to deal with finite usage numbers with customers even when they promise "unlimited" in their marketing pamphlets, and as such will never be able to truly provide "unlimited" data like Sprint and T-Mobile postpaid claims to do and they'll drop customers for abuse. Data is the wireless industry's cash cow, and so long as it's treated as such, such a plan will never exist.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:57:04 AM by I.P. Daley »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #846 on: September 11, 2013, 08:03:52 AM »
I get where you're going with this, Rebel... but you're talking about something that simply doesn't exist at this price point or even in the MVNO sphere, and likely will never exist at any price point in general that would be significantly cheaper than having voice and text services already bolted onto the package at the MNO level. MVNOs will always have to deal with finite usage numbers with customers even when they promise "unlimited" in their marketing pamphlets, and as such will never be able to truly provide "unlimited" data like Sprint and T-Mobile postpaid claims to do and they'll drop customers for abuse. Data is the wireless industry's cash cow, and so long as it's treated as such, such a plan will never exist.

That's unfortunate.  My wife has solely been using Google Voice/Talkatone since January though her FreedomPop device and has been happy with it.  If there was a cheap way to get unlimited data through a hotspot, I'd be all over it.  Even 5GB might be enough.

Voice just isn't that useful to a lot of us compared to data, so using a voip service for the odd few hundred minutes/mo. (at most) is no big deal.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #847 on: September 11, 2013, 09:13:15 AM »
Uh oh, the 8GB nexus is sold out?  I might have to buy that 16GB sooner than I was expecting .... Crap.

edit: Bought a 16GB.  Looks like I'm switching to airvoice or platinumtel next month.  I still haven't decided on that.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:23:25 AM by adam »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #848 on: September 11, 2013, 09:13:41 AM »
That's unfortunate.  My wife has solely been using Google Voice/Talkatone since January though her FreedomPop device and has been happy with it.  If there was a cheap way to get unlimited data through a hotspot, I'd be all over it.  Even 5GB might be enough.

Voice just isn't that useful to a lot of us compared to data, so using a voip service for the odd few hundred minutes/mo. (at most) is no big deal.

Agreed, and trust me, I know... wireless data can be a lovely little swiss army knife. Unfortunately, there's such a price premium on mobile data that any significant amount purchased is going to have a negligible cost differential between just it and it combined with either a small chunk or "unlimited" talk and text thrown in on top with MNOs or MVNOs. That's exactly why I used TurboLT's setup as an example the way I did.

From a technical standpoint, I can kind of understand why the MNOs are so unwilling to do wireless tethering with "unlimited" plans and they have such a price premium on the data served. The newer network buildouts may be "fast" and have a reasonable amount of throughput available, but from a network topology standpoint, it's still bat guano to run hundreds to thousands of users through a singular access point for data usage levels on par with what's done over a wired ISP. This isn't to say I defend their predatory data pricing, but the execution in delivery of that data isn't something that's even scaling well at peak loads with current metered use right now. As such, they keep prices high and bandwidth metered on potential desktop/laptop usage to keep people from using wireless as their primary ISP so they can better hide how lacking their cheap network infrastructure truly is for handling the customer loads they already have.

Lastly, take it from a guy who's developing VoIP field equipment that needs to handle data latency numbers of a quarter to half a second: VoIP is a technology that is sensitive to latency. Although HSPA+, W-CDMA and LTE data standards all have lab numbers that should provide low enough latency for VoIP services without resorting to quality degradation tricks, the reality in field deployment frequently leads to higher latency issues that impact VoIP quality due to network capacity in many markets. Unfortunately, the only way to compensate for high latency is to use less bandwidth and a protocol/codec that can handle significant packet drops and out of order delivery... unfortunately, this results in call quality that frequently makes modern cellphone call quality sound like polyphonic stereo in comparison. As such, why tolerate crap mobile voice service (no matter how little you use it) when you can get decent and reliable mobile voice service that'll even work in the boonies for less than a 15% price increase most times when you're shopping plans by data allotment?

This is the rub of the importance of network neutrality, and why mobile carriers packet shape, degrade or block service for certain data types, and are fighting legislation that requires them to stop doing that tooth and nail. They've been funneling their insane profits into their own pockets instead of re-investing in needed infrastructure upgrades for over a decade (not that peppering the nation with high power omnidirectional microwave transmitters every couple of miles is a brilliant idea either), and the networks simply can't handle the capacities they already have despite record profits and market growth. That leaves one of two options when approaching wireless service from a financial standpoint: pay for the communications or pay for the data.

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #849 on: September 11, 2013, 10:02:18 AM »
Ting update for folks:

Ting has now introduced a new permanent ETF relief deal, where they'll credit your account 25% of your ETF costs with your current carrier up to $75 to switch to them.

Wow that's awesome. That's been my main reason for procrastinating - my ROI was in the negative (p.s. thanks for that calculator - it's so much simpler than me doing the math myself! ha) I gotta re-run the numbers with this new factor. Love the ting buckets concept and all the pretty graphs!

I gotta get better at roping-in my data usage. I was really considering the RepublicWireless deal, but now I'm looking at ting. Problem is my insane amounts of data I use. I know I could do better-but I'm used to unlimited! (shame on me!)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!