Author Topic: Communications & Tech - The ISP, VoIP and Cellphone Superguide  (Read 510632 times)

1tolivesimply

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Communications & Tech - The ISP, VoIP and Cellphone Superguide
« Reply #700 on: July 17, 2013, 04:53:47 PM »
Does anyone here have experience with any of the cellphone carriers (platinumtel, Airvoice Wireless) in Wyoming?

I'm seriously thinking about switching from AT&T, but I visit family in Wyoming regularly, and I know that some operators (T Mobile for example), do not have Internet access everywhere, coverage is very spotty, etc; As far as I understand Airvoice resells AT&T services, however, I would like to be 100% sure it will work (voice & data) before I go ahead and make the change.

Thanks!

CeciliaW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #701 on: July 17, 2013, 07:26:08 PM »
I read through all the posts on pages 1-7 and didn't see any question similar to mine so I'm laying it out here.

I still use a knuckle buster for credit cards at shows. So far we've never had a problem. I enter the details online when I get home.

Many of the other merchants use a Square or Intuit or Jack for swiping the cards and have folks sign the screen. It seems to be the accepted way these days.

So I start hunting around and it's at least $80/mo for a Galaxy SII or a Galaxy Note. Yeegods.

I have no interest in texting or using it as a cell phone. I don't do those things now and all I want to do is be able to run credit cards, so I need a data plan.

Any suggestions?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #702 on: July 17, 2013, 08:15:46 PM »
If the area you are doing it in has 4G reception, you could get a FreedomPop router, and just use WiFi on the smart phone (no data plan, or voice even, required).  Heck, get a used iPod touch on Craigslist and use that + the iOS app.

Square swipes will definitely take less than the free 500mb/mo.

Total cost $0/month.

(I know IP and others will have other suggestions and some don't care for FreedomPop, but I've been using it for 9 months or so and find it very useful.)

If you need 3G/4g coverage, it'll cost $4/mo.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #703 on: July 17, 2013, 08:52:41 PM »
Does anyone here have experience with any of the cellphone carriers (platinumtel, Airvoice Wireless) in Wyoming?

I'm seriously thinking about switching from AT&T, but I visit family in Wyoming regularly, and I know that some operators (T Mobile for example), do not have Internet access everywhere, coverage is very spotty, etc; As far as I understand Airvoice resells AT&T services, however, I would like to be 100% sure it will work (voice & data) before I go ahead and make the change.

Thanks!

If you're certain that you have good AT&T coverage in Wyoming, you're positive you haven't been roaming onto another GSM network like Cellular One, and the coverage maps on the Airvoice website show coverage for the areas of Wyoming you'll need coverage for... then clearly Airvoice will be your best option and you can choose them with relative confidence. That said, if you're wanting data? Dealing with an AT&T MVNO is gonna cost you an arm and a leg on data. Airvoice runs 33¢/MB on their $10/month plan and their cash card, and any real wads of data are going to come at much higher costs via their "unlimited" talk and text plans. Best advice I can recommend is to re-learn how to survive without mobile data access, then you don't have to worry about it.

I read through all the posts on pages 1-7 and didn't see any question similar to mine so I'm laying it out here.

I still use a knuckle buster for credit cards at shows. So far we've never had a problem. I enter the details online when I get home.

Many of the other merchants use a Square or Intuit or Jack for swiping the cards and have folks sign the screen. It seems to be the accepted way these days.

So I start hunting around and it's at least $80/mo for a Galaxy SII or a Galaxy Note. Yeegods.

I have no interest in texting or using it as a cell phone. I don't do those things now and all I want to do is be able to run credit cards, so I need a data plan.

Any suggestions?

Actually, what Rebel said. Cheap used iPod Touch or older CDMA Android handset (with a clean ESN and either the MEID provided or the phone number set to something like 123-456-7890, and you keep it in airplane mode), or maybe a used Nexus 7 (whatever's cheapest) combined with some sort of low-cost, mobile WiFi hotspot. Just be sure you use a very strong password for the wireless access and use WPA2.

Personally, I'd keep using the old knuckle buster, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:54:12 PM by I.P. Daley »

CeciliaW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #704 on: July 18, 2013, 08:48:48 AM »
Thanks to arebelspy and IPD for the quick responses and suggestions. It helped clear some of the chaos.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #705 on: July 19, 2013, 06:51:05 PM »
So... apparently I've been deemed competent and interesting enough to warrant having a two hour conversation recorded on the subject of cutting your cellphone budget.

If you can get past my voice (which sounds like it should be best matched with a felt hand puppet), my nervous laughing, and stammering like a 14 year old boy asking a girl out... you can listen to it here.

Have a good weekend, folks.

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
    • Radical Personal Finance
« Reply #706 on: July 19, 2013, 08:20:44 PM »
If you can get past my voice (which sounds like it should be best matched with a felt hand puppet), my nervous laughing, and stammering like a 14 year old boy asking a girl out... you can listen to it here.

Wait, are you talking about you or me? :)

On a serious note, thank you for being willing to share your knowledge with the world.  I enjoyed interviewing you and I hope it's a valuable resource for many others.

I welcome everyone's comments, feedback, and suggestions.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #707 on: July 21, 2013, 08:15:54 PM »

Sounds like a descendant of Dr. Demento (whom I would listen to for HOURS!).

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #708 on: July 21, 2013, 08:27:29 PM »

Sounds like a descendant of Dr. Demento (whom I would listen to for HOURS!).

Make your cell phone requests known at 310-ODD-TUNE, and don't forget to staayyyy deeeeeemented! *honk honk*

kevin78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #709 on: July 25, 2013, 11:53:09 AM »
I don't really have anything specific to add right now, other than since this seems to be the center of prepaid discussion in this forum. 

I've been working nights this week and sitting around with the tv on, the judge shows are often on.  Its amazing how many times there is a Judge Alex episode over a $1000 unpaid cell phone bill between friends or ex'es.  Its really too bad that people don't know any other way to do phone service other than to get on a shared plan on Sprint or whatever.  Especially when lots of people really can't afford it and its obvious when the bill is unpaid.

Kudos to threads like this for spreading the word of better alternatives.

Baylor3217

• Bristles
What happens when you exceed 1GB data with Airvoice?
« Reply #710 on: July 28, 2013, 04:54:20 PM »
I don't see Nything on their site stating what I costs to add more.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
Re: What happens when you exceed 1GB data with Airvoice?
« Reply #711 on: July 28, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »
If you exceed your purchased data allotment for the month? You just run out of data. You want more after that? You'll have to buy a $10 cash card.

One thing to keep in mind is that they do set cutoffs on their unlimited plans with data where you need to re-enable data after say 500 and 750MB. I can't recall details.

Also, you don't need to keep creating these threads asking questions... that's what the Superguide is for. If you ask there, I'll still answer, and others can potentially better find answers to their own questions. :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:17:34 PM by I.P. Daley »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #712 on: July 28, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »
Massive news for Airvoice users!

AT&T has recently dropped their data prices to their MVNOs. The website has not updated yet, but data on the $10 Plan, Pay As You Go and any overages to the other plans is now billed at 6¢/MB, which now makes them not only the cheapest prepaid AT&T MVNO, but one of the cheapest GSM MVNOs in the country period. Expect some major changes on this front from them, H2O Wireless, PureTalk USA, et al moving forward. Who knows, this might even help make Consumer Cellular competitively priced!

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013/07/airvoice-wireless-data-lowers-data.html

Looks like we're in for an eventful week on the MVNO news front.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #713 on: July 28, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »
...speaking of eventful news. Someone here on the forums was asking me about MVNO Verizon alternatives in PM on the 25th, and I'd made note that TalkForGood has been showing signs of trouble. They're right at the 9 month/5k subscriber cusp with Verizon, their service plans have been delisted for a few weeks now, and their knowledge base and community support pages have a fair amount of spam cropping up now.

I'm not ready to stick a fork in 'em quite yet, but this is exactly why going with newer MVNOs can be incredibly risky. I'm sorry if my cutting them any sort of slack as they were the only competition to Page Plus, who's currently in the process of being bought out by America Movil, is causing any of you any sort of distress if you switched to them. I should have kept the same hard-line I did with outfits like Lyca and Ultra. It just goes to show how cutthroat the MVNO marketplace really is.

It appears Ting may remain standing as the lone exception to my recommended MVNO list regarding their age. The longer I do this, the more difficult it gets for me to recommend people stick with CDMA carriers.

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #714 on: July 28, 2013, 06:00:04 PM »
Can y'all merge threads on this board?  I don't have an inventory of the threads I should be posting in so apologies for the clutter.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #715 on: July 28, 2013, 06:09:13 PM »
Massive news for Airvoice users!

AT&T has recently dropped their data prices to their MVNOs. The website has not updated yet, but data on the $10 Plan, Pay As You Go and any overages to the other plans is now billed at 6¢/MB, which now makes them not only the cheapest prepaid AT&T MVNO, but one of the cheapest GSM MVNOs in the country period. Expect some major changes on this front from them, H2O Wireless, PureTalk USA, et al moving forward. Who knows, this might even help make Consumer Cellular competitively priced!

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013/07/airvoice-wireless-data-lowers-data.html

Looks like we're in for an eventful week on the MVNO news front.

This is surprisingly good news! I'm going to have to check my wife's data usage to see if switching her away from T-Mobile prepaid might make sense. Thanks (as always) for keeping us in the loop, Daley!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #716 on: July 28, 2013, 06:09:57 PM »
I'm not a mod, otherwise I'd have merged them myself.

Rebel? It may be time to finally sticky the Superguide. ;)

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #717 on: July 28, 2013, 06:37:21 PM »
I looked thru 5 pages and couldn't find the super guide.

WHats a $10 cash add do or give you?

I'm still looking for an enterprise solution in oct when my contract with AT&T is up. Obviously, having Airvoice cut my data service when I run out is an unacceptable enterprise solution for me if I understood you correctly.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #718 on: July 28, 2013, 08:00:43 PM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/communications-tech-isps-voip-cell

If you need an "enterprise" solution, you shouldn't be looking at MVNOs.

decisionprof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #719 on: July 28, 2013, 08:03:24 PM »
Thanks too for that great news!  We switched my husband to Airvoice this week.  The port took less than 2 hours (and amazing how the big carrier called him right away to see what was wrong!).  Also easy to call AV's customer service - quick chat with a real person and our only question was answered.  Ready to switch mine in a few weeks - just searching for an inexpensive android that meets my needs.  Truly appreciate the information on this thread!

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #720 on: July 28, 2013, 09:41:05 PM »
What does a "$10 cash add" do or give you?

I'm still looking for an enterprise solution in oct when my contract with AT&T is up. Obviously, having Airvoice cut my data service when I run out is an unacceptable enterprise solution for me if I understood you correctly.

Also, why shouldn't I be able to use an MVNO for a work solution.  Maybe "enterprise" wasn't quite the right word, but a corporate solution for myself - i.e. my work texts, minutes and email which generally runs me about 1.6GB of data per month.

Is airvoice wireless not set up to allow you to pay for more than 1GB per month? 

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #721 on: July 28, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »
What does a "$10 cash add" do or give you?

Also, why shouldn't I be able to use an MVNO for a work solution.  Maybe "enterprise" wasn't quite the right word, but a corporate solution for myself - i.e. my work texts, minutes and email which generally runs me about 1.6GB of data per month.

Is airvoice wireless not set up to allow you to pay for more than 1GB per month? 

https://www.airvoicewireless.com/plans-2/10-cash-card/

Data rates are now 6¢/MB instead of 33¢/MB.

Don't know if Airvoice will be bringing bigger data packages to their plans soon with the pricing changes... hang loose the next week or so. That said, if you actually need large wads of data, MVNOs generally aren't the way you want to go. There's T-Mobile based MVNOs like P'tel, GoSmart and MetroPCS with larger data packages right now, and H2O (AT&T MVNO) is supposed to be bumping up their data packages as well... but in general, you'll either need to go on a massive data diet or not bother with the MVNOs... in general, the data levels you're needing is going to put you in big four postpaid territory.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #722 on: July 29, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »
If I'm doing the math correctly, 6 cents per MB means 500MB would cost you $30?  Pageplus now has the $29 plan offering 1200 minutes, 3000 texts, and 500MB of data. (which is why I picked 500MB to compare).

Funny that this should come up now.  My old Droid 2 has been doing some really funky stuff lately.  It got a little wet over the 4th of July and now it seems like the slightest bit of moisture causes the touchscreen to go nuts.  It is unusable when this happens.  I don't want to get a new phone, but if I did, I wanted to go for the google Nexus 4, but that means I'd have to leave pageplus and go to airvoice or something.  That's why I was re-reading up on their plans today.

I don't really know what other 3G CDMA handset I would want, and as far as I know iPhones are still not supported.  So now I'm just counting down the days until this Droid dies and I have nothing to replace it with :(

Also, regarding the FreedomPop.  I'm on 3G only coverage and it does not cost me any money.  I don't know if I'm an exception or what.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #723 on: July 29, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »
If I'm doing the math correctly, 6 cents per MB means 500MB would cost you $30?  Pageplus now has the $29 plan offering 1200 minutes, 3000 texts, and 500MB of data. (which is why I picked 500MB to compare).

Funny that this should come up now.  My old Droid 2 has been doing some really funky stuff lately.  It got a little wet over the 4th of July and now it seems like the slightest bit of moisture causes the touchscreen to go nuts.  It is unusable when this happens.  I don't want to get a new phone, but if I did, I wanted to go for the google Nexus 4, but that means I'd have to leave pageplus and go to airvoice or something.  That's why I was re-reading up on their plans today.

I don't really know what other 3G CDMA handset I would want, and as far as I know iPhones are still not supported.  So now I'm just counting down the days until this Droid dies and I have nothing to replace it with :(

Also, regarding the FreedomPop.  I'm on 3G only coverage and it does not cost me any money.  I don't know if I'm an exception or what.

Correct on the $30 for 500MB bit... but do keep in mind that this is an OR situation and not an AND. Also, for an extra $5 and a willingness to do EDGE data speeds on the T-Mobile network, you can step up to enchantment with GoSmart's "unlimited" plan.

Good to know about the FreedomPop thing. I'm still not sold on their business model for a plethora of reasons, but at least they're holding true to their claims of "free".

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #724 on: July 29, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »
I think a buddy of mine said he had a Casio somethingorother rugged phone in his desk at work that he doesn't need any more.  Given my history of getting phones wet lately, that's probably the route I should take.

kevin78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #725 on: July 29, 2013, 12:16:27 PM »
You can use an iphone on page plus, if you aren't already aware.  Its not officially allowed, but tons of people are doing it. 

If you have to have an iphone 5 on page plus, you can get the straight talk iphone 5 which has the lte radio disabled and will work on verizon 3g without reprogramming. However at $600 its a pretty stupid buy for most people.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #726 on: July 29, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
You can use an iphone on page plus, if you aren't already aware.  Its not officially allowed, but tons of people are doing it. 

If you have to have an iphone 5 on page plus, you can get the straight talk iphone 5 which has the lte radio disabled and will work on verizon 3g without reprogramming. However at $600 its a pretty stupid buy for most people.

There was actually an entire discussion on Page Plus/iPhones last year. It's covered ground, and as a general rule, I venture away from any advice that's in violation of TOS. Doesn't mean I won't stop the adventuresome from doing so, but I'll certainly make my case known as to why it's a bad idea.

kevin78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #727 on: July 29, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »
From your linked post:

I don't deny for a second that people have iPhones on Page Plus... but I've yet to see anything from official channels say they're anything but verboten on the network, which is why the things have to be reprogrammed by third parties for Page Plus support before usage.

Were you implying that iphones need to be reprogrammed for page plus?  Maybe I'm taking the statement out of context but there is nothing about the cdma iphone 4 or iphone 4s that requires any reprogramming for page plus.  Beigephone is known for taking 4g phones and disabling the lte radios and setting them up for 3g only.  Which the iphone 4/4s already is.

The iphone 4 is pretty old and Verizon has moved on to the iphone 5.  They could have dropped the banhammer on iphone 4 esn's a long time ago but they never did.  I don't know that I agree that it is a risk.  If there is a risk, then it is pretty minor.  I'm sure that Page Plus would let you port out or register a different phone. 

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #728 on: July 29, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »
On another note about about page plus they doubled the data on the 29.99 plan. Its now 1200min 3000texts and 500mb. Not a bad value plan inmho.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #729 on: July 29, 2013, 02:34:21 PM »
On another note about about page plus they doubled the data on the 29.99 plan. Its now 1200min 3000texts and 500mb. Not a bad value plan inmho.

Indeed. It's starting to look like wholesale price wars are brewing on the MNO level. August is looking to be an interesting month.

From your linked post:

I don't deny for a second that people have iPhones on Page Plus... but I've yet to see anything from official channels say they're anything but verboten on the network, which is why the things have to be reprogrammed by third parties for Page Plus support before usage.

Were you implying that iphones need to be reprogrammed for page plus?  Maybe I'm taking the statement out of context but there is nothing about the cdma iphone 4 or iphone 4s that requires any reprogramming for page plus.  Beigephone is known for taking 4g phones and disabling the lte radios and setting them up for 3g only.  Which the iphone 4/4s already is.

The iphone 4 is pretty old and Verizon has moved on to the iphone 5.  They could have dropped the banhammer on iphone 4 esn's a long time ago but they never did.  I don't know that I agree that it is a risk.  If there is a risk, then it is pretty minor.  I'm sure that Page Plus would let you port out or register a different phone.

I'll admit, verbiage was a little weak there and a bit of error regarding the iPhones in specific, but there was a follow-up post immediately after that one that clarified things further.

That said, the core point made in that discussion is being missed...

Tacit approval through apathy in enforcement should never be construed as explicit permission. It does not change the fact that you are violating a legal contract you voluntarily agreed to, and it doesn't mean that you can't ever lose service, have the ESN blackballed, or worse... by violating that agreement, they retain the right to do so at any time. It is a risk with some form of legal involvement. If you want to take that risk and feel the reward outweighs that risk, that's your choice to make and nobody else's. Ignorance of those risks doesn't make you immune to them, it just means you sleep better at night when those risks are taken without experienced repercussion.

My concern is that through a seemingly innocent suggestion of just "breaking the rules" because they're "not visibly enforced" to get the phone you really want on a network where it shouldn't be, people who don't know the risks are just going to latch onto what they want and potentially get in way over their heads in some potentially risky waters they wouldn't normally choose to be in. Now guess what? If they have the misfortune to run afoul and get in trouble because of your suggestion to just "break the rules", they blame you. I don't have problems with rule benders or breakers so long as any damage and responsibility is assumed solely by those individuals. My concerns are rooted in rule benders and breakers who either through ignorance or an assumed judgment call on others behalves not to disclose that their suggested actions are risks and waive those concerns from others away as nothing. People are investing money in a tool and service that they feel is important enough to dedicate resources to, and these are risks that can impact those decisions if encountered.

My advice here will always skew Lawful Good. People can do with it what they want, I just care that they're well informed before they make their decision. :)

It doesn't matter how negligible the risk is, it's pretty black and white in that it either is or isn't. You are agreeing to a legal contract for services, and violating that contract exposes you to risk. FULL STOP. It doesn't matter how "low" that risk is, it is still a risk. I don't care if people do it or not, but it's their call on whether they choose to take that risk and should be informed of the fact that it is one in the first place... that decision to take that risk is not mine and certainly not yours to make.

You'll have to forgive me, but I draw a hard line in the sand on this. Our advice and discussions influence and impact other's purchasing decisions, and it's best that they don't include advice that willingly advises others to break the rules because it's easy to do and nobody has been busted for it yet.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:36:02 PM by I.P. Daley »

kevin78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #730 on: July 29, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »
nobody has been busted for it yet.

Busted!  Lol. 

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #731 on: July 29, 2013, 06:47:16 PM »
nobody has been busted for it yet.

Busted!  Lol.

Yuck it up, Kevin...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:59:00 PM by I.P. Daley »

kevin78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #732 on: July 30, 2013, 02:13:11 AM »
Sorry Daley, don't mean to make light of your posts, I just have a little different attitude about it.

They are never going to come out and say iphones are fine.  Just like they don't officially support any phone that isn't page plus branded.  Apple even more so because of the exclusivity agreements that were/are in place with the large carriers.

But now, you see prepaid iphones in various places- straight talk, virgin mobile, possibly others not to mention lots of them in prepaid gsm land.  Apple is still popular but Samsung and Google have taken a big bite out of their brand superiority.  Does this have anything specific to do with it?  I don't know, but I think things are changing in the wireless market and the carriers are out to make money, so I don't seem them kicking old iphone 4's off their system. 

But I respect your conservative stance on the issue.  I personally wouldn't use an iphone on page plus for similar reasons, and because there are better things out there.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #733 on: July 30, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »

Merged and stickied (sorry for the delay; was out of town.)

Thread will probably be moved to the FAQ section of the boards (from Share Your Badassity) once the FAQs are written and split into separate topics and get their own subforum.  That may be awhile yet though.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #734 on: July 30, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »
Thread will probably be moved to the FAQ section of the boards (from Share Your Badassity) once the FAQs are written and split into separate topics and get their own subforum.  That may be awhile yet though.
FAQs? Do tell!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #735 on: July 30, 2013, 03:43:53 PM »
FAQs? Do tell!

Not much more to tell.  matchewed and Velocistar are winners.  This is a working v0.1 rough draft that will be split into the various questions and put into a subforum: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/frequently-asked-questions/

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #736 on: July 30, 2013, 05:36:59 PM »

Merged and stickied (sorry for the delay; was out of town.)

Rockin'.

Though if I may request for the sake of not breaking links throughout the forum and elsewhere, we leave this thread in the badassity category. It's almost getting too long at this point (despite the bulk of the really useful bits being listed in the first seven posts), and I've been toying with starting a Superguide II: Electric Boogaloo (only a working title) when the opportunity was right. Perhaps I shall do that when the time comes with the FAQ board instead. Then we can just leave this one locked and stickied and move discussion over at that point.

Just keep me in the loop on schedule for this stuff.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:39:36 PM by I.P. Daley »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #737 on: July 30, 2013, 09:05:45 PM »
An interesting bit of news floated across my desktop this evening, and thought I should share it. America Movil's Straight Talk is getting slapped with a class action lawsuit for false advertising on their $45 "unlimited" plan.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/07/29/59757.htm

I'm all for tort reform and not encouraging overly frivolous lawsuits, but this one's deserved.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #738 on: July 30, 2013, 11:17:03 PM »
Rockin'.

Though if I may request for the sake of not breaking links throughout the forum and elsewhere, we leave this thread in the badassity category. It's almost getting too long at this point (despite the bulk of the really useful bits being listed in the first seven posts), and I've been toying with starting a Superguide II: Electric Boogaloo (only a working title) when the opportunity was right. Perhaps I shall do that when the time comes with the FAQ board instead. Then we can just leave this one locked and stickied and move discussion over at that point.

Just keep me in the loop on schedule for this stuff.

Sounds good.

Hamster1wheel0

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #739 on: August 03, 2013, 01:24:58 PM »
Great advice on many levels, followed a few already with Airvoice, and now I'm trying out Futurenine but there is trouble there. I'm 8 days into putting down $15 with service activation but I can't seem to get a assigned phone # out of them, and the last message wasn't reassuring -here's the text from their Futurenine support

" Typically new phone numbers only take a day or two to setup, but due to
the specific rate center you are in it is taking longer. Porting in this area will take 3-4 weeks. If you'd like you can submit the port documentation now and I will put it on hold until you decide to go ahead with it. (so it is faster when you give us the green light to proceed) I sent another request to the carrier to expedite.[/i]"

I'm hopeful these guys (guy?) will figure it out, but I'm wondering if it's just not-going-to-happen what the alternatives are. Being a obedient reader I purchased a Cisco SPA112 configured it with a hodgepodge of info from other hardware configuration and now i'm ready to head out into the great big world of VOIP. You said you weren't familiar with Voip.ms , they seem to be a pay as you go setup (although there is no real info on there site that gives you a clear example of their billing structure without "signing up first"), does this sound better than Voipo? Which actually charges $149 + $36 tax for 2years of service or $15 month. Or do I continue to wait for Futurenine? Or maybe you (who have Futurenine) can instill confidence in the company one more  time.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #740 on: August 04, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
Great advice on many levels, followed a few already with Airvoice, and now I'm trying out Futurenine but there is trouble there. I'm 8 days into putting down $15 with service activation but I can't seem to get a assigned phone # out of them, and the last message wasn't reassuring -here's the text from their Futurenine support

" Typically new phone numbers only take a day or two to setup, but due to
the specific rate center you are in it is taking longer. Porting in this area will take 3-4 weeks. If you'd like you can submit the port documentation now and I will put it on hold until you decide to go ahead with it. (so it is faster when you give us the green light to proceed) I sent another request to the carrier to expedite.[/i]"

I'm hopeful these guys (guy?) will figure it out, but I'm wondering if it's just not-going-to-happen what the alternatives are. Being a obedient reader I purchased a Cisco SPA112 configured it with a hodgepodge of info from other hardware configuration and now i'm ready to head out into the great big world of VOIP. You said you weren't familiar with Voip.ms , they seem to be a pay as you go setup (although there is no real info on there site that gives you a clear example of their billing structure without "signing up first"), does this sound better than Voipo? Which actually charges $149 + $36 tax for 2years of service or $15 month. Or do I continue to wait for Futurenine? Or maybe you (who have Futurenine) can instill confidence in the company one more  time.

Hamster, are you by chance trying to port a phone number over to F9? I ask because it sounds like you are with what you quoted. If so, what was said makes perfect sense. Technically, landline classified phone numbers can sometimes take upwards of 3-4 weeks to process for porting. Even if you aren't, it's possible they just hit a snag trying to procure a local number for you given the exchange you're desiring due to backorder issues with the rate center itself. It happens, unfortunately, and it's something well out of their control. Be patient, Nitzan and his crew are pretty solid and no nonsense. If there's a problem like this, as I said, it's actually a problem outside of their control. If they can't make good one way, they'll strive to make it good another way.

I'm actually quite a bit more familiar with VOIP.ms these days, and they're a good outfit. Pricing is there and upfront without signing up, you just have to understand how it's listed. USA DID Numbers is your incoming rates and monthly costs for owning the number (they have per minute incoming rates and flat-rate up to 3500 minutes incoming options), and Termination Rates gives you the per minute outbound. The Wiki covers the e911 fees, which is $1.50 a month. Since VOIP.ms (Swiftvox) is technically a Canadian company, they're not going to charge US customers sales tax. Pricing is as simple as that.

As to whether VOIP.ms or VOIPo would be the better deal between the two, a) it depends on whether you want to pay for two years of service up front, and b) how much you actually are looking at using that VoIP line on a monthly basis. Also, your math on VOIPo is off, it's $7.71 a month when you divide $185 by 24. Given you went with F9, however, I suspect that you're not actually planning on using the service so much that $8 a month is a good target cost, but having 5,000 minutes (or in your case 3,000 if you wanted to keep your ATA and go with VOIPo) and paying for two years up front seems like overkill.

Finally, I'm flattered that you respect my opinion so much that you were an "obedient reader", but please... I'm just as human as you are, and there's a reason why I encourage folks to research. Don't do any of this because I say to, do it because my advice checks out as being accurate and the approach makes sense to you. :)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #741 on: August 04, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »
Linking and quoting myself for the record in this thread from another regarding further Page Plus news.

Do let us (I.P. Daley, in particular) know how Page Plus works after the America Movil acquisition closes. America Movil is not an owner/provider preferred by the Superguide, though there really doesn't seem to be a better option for repurposed Verizon phones right now.

Actually, a bit of news slid under the radar from back in late June in regard to this (which just goes to show that I really should keep up with the FCC website more). The streamlined approval process for this acquisition has been suspended pending full review by the Executive, specifically the DoJ, FBI, and DHS:

http://www.fcc.gov/document/streamlining-removal-domestic-transfer-assets-pageplus-tracfone

I have not heard any new information since, but it appears the government may have finally sat up and noticed that the fourth largest telecommunications company in the world, which has a significant problem with antitrust issues in Latin America, has been slowly buying up and eliminating MVNO competition in this country.

I have no faith that the acquisition will actually be struck down, but it's nice to know they're at least considering a bit of extra scrutiny and delaying the process.

Meanwhile, yes... TalkForGood is dead dead dead. There's still Next G Mobile and Selectel (not that I'm necessarily recommending any of these)... but they're all very young (yes, Selectel's been around for a while as a PPC reseller, but the direct sale of services is new), and Verizon MVNOs appear to have the hardest time establishing on the market for a variety of reasons. There's a couple others as well, but I'm not going out on limbs anymore with new MVNOs. I got lucky with Ting and burned with TFG. The statistics might be good for baseball, but this 'aint baseball... it's my recommending options with other people's money and phone numbers.

Anyway, yourself any any other PagePlus customers... when the time does come and the buyout does go through and AM takes over on the support end, do please keep me in the loop.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #742 on: August 06, 2013, 10:18:54 PM »
For people who still are considering trying the Republic approach to wireless service, yet want to ignore all the red flags like the young MVNO brand, the "unlimited" trap, the data usage gotcha, the overpriced smartphones, the higher radiation exposure, and no emergency voice/text services independent of data out of the house with everything being fed through data usage and leaving you partially dependent upon your home WiFi for service... now you have an alternative!

TextNow (who made the leap from Android/iPhone app doing VoIP+SMS to full-fledged Sprint MVNO provider)

It doesn't fix any of the real shortcomings of the whole setup and mess with Republic, and it doesn't invalidate the fact that you can set up similar for less without the proprietary lock-in with a CDMA handset running a custom Android build on any pay as you go MVNO, but at least TextNow actually gives you hard numbers on what sort of mobile data use you're allowed for the money and doesn't try to entice you with flimsy promises hiding treacherous terms of service agreements.

The best part? The numbers actually work, which probably guarantees their market failure because they're not promising the moon and delivering a golf ball. I don't know what sort of codec they're using for voice, but the good news is, there are a lot of good VoIP codecs that can manage about 500kb/minute, which means at least from the outgoing minute standpoint, they aren't necessarily overselling their limited billable parts of their service as you should be able to make about 750 minutes worth of calls on their 500MB plan and still have about 125MB of general data for SMS and browsing left over. It's also welcome to see hard limits on wireless data use where you can either upgrade to the next plan or just get 3G data cut off. Bottom line? Like I said, the promises are sustainable and realistic. The ToS is a bit iffy in that Facebook-y WE OWN YOUR SOUL AND ALL ITS THOUGHTS kind of way, but Enflick's TextNow app has always been in that territory.

If everyone's going to try and push over to mandatory smartphones with VoIP over wireless service for mobile communications, and you like that idea... this is the sort of setup you should be supporting, not Republic.

For the rest of us? Nothing's changed, carry on. :)

Edit: I'd also like to point out that Ting's 500MB data package + $6 handset fee works out to $19/month as well... and TextNow has a free Android app that does "free calls and texts". This puts the low-end price for nearly the exact same setup within a few cents of each other with the same privacy colonoscopy, and TextNow's data plans just a hair bit cheaper on the bigger packages along with a bigger phone number selection, likely. However, unlike TextNow, going Ting still gives you the ability to fall back on existing voice and SMS network usage if needed in addition to off-Sprint network roaming for that voice service. Just something to consider, and just yet another little reminder that with a bit of knowhow on how this stuff's set up, you too can do the same thing for the prices quoted or less.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:35:24 PM by I.P. Daley »

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #743 on: August 07, 2013, 02:20:41 PM »
Just had a chat with Pageplus.  The wife hasn't been using more than 50 minutes or 50 texts since we started this thing, really.  So I wanted to put her on the pay as you go plan and threw $25 on there to see how far she would go.  Well I made the mistake of assuming it would be automatic (should have read the fine print) and it renewed her $12 instead.  Ok, fine, my mistake.  Got on a chat session just now a month later and had them switch her to the 'standard' pay as you go plan and put another $25 on there.  Good till December 5th.  I'd be surprised if she burns through it all.  $0.06/min, $0.05/text. ($0.99/MB though, ouch).  Good thing she doesn't use data either.

I'm still on the 12.  Just stacked a PIN there for next month.  I'm still itching though.  Gotta fight the shiny object urge.

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #744 on: August 08, 2013, 08:10:47 AM »
I am considering switching down from my Page Plus Cellular $29.95 plan to the $12 plan. I need those extra minutes however, my mom spends hours on the phone with me. (Really, mom?) I have been reading this thread and googling, and I am a bit confused about Google Voice. I want to keep my phone number with Page Plus, but when I am at home and on my WiFi, I would like to be able to call mom on my cell and not use my cellular minutes. 90% of my time on the phone is at home. I know I could do it sitting at my computer, but when you are on the phone with your mom for an hour, you need to move around and accomplish other things. Can I do this with Groove IP? I do not have a landline for any forwarding, etc. I feel like this has been discussed, but I am not grasping it yet, my apologies.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #745 on: August 08, 2013, 09:16:49 AM »
I am considering switching down from my Page Plus Cellular $29.95 plan to the $12 plan. I need those extra minutes however, my mom spends hours on the phone with me. (Really, mom?) I have been reading this thread and googling, and I am a bit confused about Google Voice. I want to keep my phone number with Page Plus, but when I am at home and on my WiFi, I would like to be able to call mom on my cell and not use my cellular minutes. 90% of my time on the phone is at home. I know I could do it sitting at my computer, but when you are on the phone with your mom for an hour, you need to move around and accomplish other things. Can I do this with Groove IP? I do not have a landline for any forwarding, etc. I feel like this has been discussed, but I am not grasping it yet, my apologies.

I'm a firm proponent of "you get what you pay for" with phone service, and in my book GV isn't even worth the free sticker point (and yes, I'm a long time user of the service - the only thing keeping me is sheer momentum and an unwillingness to give Google a credit card number). If you still want to go the GV route anyway and you've got a smartphone, you could grab a new number from Google and use something like Talkatone or GrooVe IP. Keep in mind that caller ID on the other end when you call someone isn't going to be your cellphone number, but your GV number. Alternately, if you want to use GV with a traditional home phone, the OBi100 will let you make that bridge. However, if you don't mind paying a little money, consider at least going with a NetTalk Duo for that new home phone, or consider going with a more full-blown VoIP solution since you're at home during 90% of your phone usage.

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #746 on: August 09, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »
Has anyone used a nokia lumia 1020(or any other nokia lumia that is locked to ATT) with Air voice wireless yet?  Any problems?  I'm currently using an iphone 4 and eyeballing the 1020(for the camera) but don't want to buy it and find out it doesn't work on Airvoice. 

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #747 on: August 09, 2013, 07:17:07 PM »
Has anyone used a nokia lumia 1020(or any other nokia lumia that is locked to ATT) with Air voice wireless yet?  Any problems?  I'm currently using an iphone 4 and eyeballing the 1020(for the camera) but don't want to buy it and find out it doesn't work on Airvoice.

As long as you buy the handset carrier unlocked, you shouldn't have any problems running Access Point to reconfigure the APN and MMS settings. If it's still carrier locked to AT&T, I don't know how successful that app will be in reconfiguring those settings.

As for a source of carrier unlocked Lumia 1020's currently, the only place I know of carrying the things at any sort of "reasonable" price is at Negri Electronics for $760 (if you call that reasonable). My suggestion would be to wait at least six months to a year for the price to drastically go down... though, in my mind, a 41MP digital camera with a fixed lens configuration is still just a high-end instamatic, but I'm an old school film snob in that regard, and $760 buys a dang nice digital SLR. *cough*

Speaking of Airvoice, the main website hasn't changed their package listings, but there's new price points and data quantities on their Unlimited Talk & Text plans. Have a screenshot!

$30 officially gets you 100MB now, and $40 a whopping 1GB. No wonder Net10/Straighttalk are supporting their AT&T SIM based customers again.

News and image courtesy of Prepaid Phone News.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:25:51 PM by I.P. Daley »

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #748 on: August 10, 2013, 06:19:57 AM »
Not sure if it falls under VoIP, it's kind of like Google Voice, It's called TextMe. http://go-text.me/

But I recently found an app that I like that makes text/calls (texting is free, I can't testify to this outside of US) Calls I don't know :( got no one to really call lol. You can earn minutes by watching ads/downloading their sponser's apps.

Anyways while I like google voice, this isn't a bad app. I can't find any information on how their fee structure is anywhere on their webpage except that they claim it is free except when it isn't but it doesn't tell you when it isn't :( something to keep in mind

frugalman

• Stubble
« Reply #749 on: August 10, 2013, 06:27:50 AM »
The thing is, we've gotten used to the $10/mo AirVoice no data plans. It keeps me focused on my work. I can wait until I get home to read my email and check Facebook. I don't want to be stressing to stay under a 100 MB or 1 GB data limit. Really, we love our iPhone 5s with no data on AirVoice.  I even found out we can use Sky droid as a golf yardage GPS with NO data! Just be sure you have downloaded your course before you go. Once downloaded, the course stays on your phone.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:55:32 AM by frugalman »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!