Author Topic: Communications & Tech - The ISP, VoIP and Cellphone Superguide  (Read 509752 times)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Communications & Tech - The ISP, VoIP and Cellphone Superguide
« Reply #1150 on: January 01, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
I'm thinking about snagging a spring evo 4g or an epic touch off ebay/craigslist and doing the "bring your own device" option at freedompop.  It looks like I can get a phone this way for $50-100 and free service on a monthly basis.

Just remember, you get what you pay for. With some very minor modifications to your current usage habits, you could probably get far better service for under $10 month with a GSM provider. If you value it enough to not abandon the service entirely, then that would indicate a need for quality and reliability; if you don't value the service enough to pay for it at all, then ask yourself if you even need the convenience in the first place. We're talking about a price difference between free and reliable as costing less than a sawbuck a month. Still peanuts compared to what you're currently paying.

I have basic phone at home (I have Centurylink internet and basic phone for $50/mo).  If I change my cell phone plan from ATT, I would like to be able to make long distance calls from home.  Would getting a prepaid card be the best?  Or do you have a better suggestion?

Same suggestion as I give everyone else. Axe the Centurylink phone plan and go with a VoIP provider like VOIPo ($185/two years after tax or $7.71/month - no risk 30 day trial). That'll take care of you calling needs with plenty to spare, and likely even cost less per month than keeping the "discounted" bundled phone plan you already have. Added benefit? You can now drastically scale back your cell phone usage for even more savings. An affordable broadband connection is the core to the success of the superguide, and VoIP is the linchpin to reducing your total communications costs.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #1151 on: January 02, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »
Well that's interesting:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/01/verizon-moto-g-launches-for-100-moto-x-drops-to-399-unlocked/

Not that I'm in the market right now, but its good to see these smartphone prices come down to a more 'sane' level.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #1152 on: January 03, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
Here's a somewhat depressing revelation:
I quit Verizon in March, paid my ETF, went with pageplus for $12 a month and all that fun stuff.  But in September I bought a Nexus 4 just before it went out of stock.  Since then I've been on a $40 Ptel plan and the wife... well I've been putting $25 on her pageplus paygo account about every 3 months.

Bottom line?  I paid ~$1497 for cellular service/fees/hardware this year.  That's $124/mo.  I was previously playing $130/mo with verizon (and a much older phone for myself).  My contract would have been up this month.

Now the good news:
It was all my fault anyway.  If I had kept the Droid2 on Pageplus I woud have only spent $1095 (or, ~$91/mo).  But even with paying an exorbitant ETF AND buying a shiny new(ish) smartphone I still ended up paying just under what I would have paid if I never changed a thing.

Next year, I expect I will spend ~$580 on cellular service.  That's $48/mo.  And it still lets me have my stupid data habit.  In a pinch I know I could go with a $10 airvoice plan for myself (since I almost had the same thing with the pageplus $12 plan earlier) and it would drop to $18/mo.

Most importantly when I hear/read other people bitching and moaning about their super high cost wireless plans I can laugh quietly to myself and tell them I spend ~$48/mo for two smartphones.

;)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1153 on: January 03, 2014, 10:36:09 AM »
Now the good news:
It was all my fault anyway.  If I had kept the Droid2 on Pageplus I woud have only spent $1095 (or, ~$91/mo).  But even with paying an exorbitant ETF AND buying a shiny new(ish) smartphone I still ended up paying just under what I would have paid if I never changed a thing.

And now you know why I always insist on calculating any new handset costs with switching, and sticking with what you already have whenever possible. ;)

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #1154 on: January 04, 2014, 05:32:47 PM »

I have basic phone at home (I have Centurylink internet and basic phone for $50/mo).  If I change my cell phone plan from ATT, I would like to be able to make long distance calls from home.  Would getting a prepaid card be the best?  Or do you have a better suggestion?

Same suggestion as I give everyone else. Axe the Centurylink phone plan and go with a VoIP provider like VOIPo ($185/two years after tax or $7.71/month - no risk 30 day trial). That'll take care of you calling needs with plenty to spare, and likely even cost less per month than keeping the "discounted" bundled phone plan you already have. Added benefit? You can now drastically scale back your cell phone usage for even more savings. An affordable broadband connection is the core to the success of the superguide, and VoIP is the linchpin to reducing your total communications costs.

The bundled internet and phone was necessary to get the deal from Centurylink.  It works out to $40 for internet and $10 for basic phone.  Any other ideas while keeping basic phone?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1155 on: January 04, 2014, 09:44:30 PM »
The bundled internet and phone was necessary to get the deal from Centurylink.  It works out to $40 for internet and $10 for basic phone.  Any other ideas while keeping basic phone?

If the difference between the phone/internet bundle being $50 to internet only being $40, just port your home phone number over to VOIPo and lose the bundle price. Even if the internet package goes up in price past $40/month, so long as it doesn't exceed $50 on its own, you will still come out ahead dumping the bundled phone line. The bundle discount is worthless for actually saving money if you can get both your plain internet and third party VoIP phone service providing 5000 minutes a month to the US and Canada for less than what you're paying for the bundled price of internet and just local phone service. If 911 services are what's hanging you up...

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/cheaper-solution-for-landline-like-features/

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:53:53 PM by I.P. Daley »

Jake P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Workin' at it!
« Reply #1156 on: January 05, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has used www.swappa.com to buy a slightly used phone?  They claim to be more legit than craigslist and ebay when it comes to buying a phone with a clean esn.  Are there any better options for buying used, unlocked phones?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1157 on: January 05, 2014, 04:49:04 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has used www.swappa.com to buy a slightly used phone?  They claim to be more legit than craigslist and ebay when it comes to buying a phone with a clean esn.  Are there any better options for buying used, unlocked phones?

Never used it myself, but it's a perfectly cromulent method of used phone shopping if you don't want to go the Ebay/Craigslist route.

BearDown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1158 on: January 05, 2014, 09:33:05 PM »
Just wanted to post that I finally bought a modem to replace the one I was renting from my ISP. I found a deal through slickdeals that allowed me to pick up a Motorola SB6121 for $42.49 shipped, which means the savings from renting will pay for it in 8 months. Feels good to get that out of the way.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1159 on: January 08, 2014, 09:21:54 AM »
Just wanted to post that I finally bought a modem to replace the one I was renting from my ISP. I found a deal through slickdeals that allowed me to pick up a Motorola SB6121 for $42.49 shipped, which means the savings from renting will pay for it in 8 months. Feels good to get that out of the way.

Fantastic!

For those of you on Page Plus, the TracFone/America Movil acquisition has officially been finalized. The reason for the holdup and review length on the merger? Surprise! No concern towards monopolization of the prepaid market, but CALEA compliance.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2014/01/fcc-approves-tracfones-acquisition-of.html

Page Plus users, keep us posted on overall support quality moving forward... not that there's any other stable Verizon MVNOs that are really viable, which is a shame. If I didn't know any better, between the non-Verizon prepaid and LTE handset restrictions as well as the insane subscription base requirements for new MVNOs starting on the network, I'm starting to think Big Red is trying to kill off MVNO support on their network.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #1160 on: January 08, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »
Well shit.  Wife is still on PP.  In fact, she has $22.45 on her account.  I'm not going to be in any hurry to switch her given I'd have to get her a new phone to bring her over to Ptel or whatever non-verizon MVNO.

BearDown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1161 on: January 08, 2014, 09:19:55 PM »
My wife and I (ok, mostly me) are looking for ways to lower our internet bill ($32 for 15 Mbps) and I was just wondering, is there any device that supports many video formats (codecs), has a usb port (NTFS support would be nice), and can hook up directly to a tv without the need of internet? I'm assuming a HTPC would fit the bill as long as it has a video card with HDMI support but I was wondering if there was anything with a smaller form factor or maybe an alternative altogether. Thanks in advance.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1162 on: January 08, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »
My wife and I (ok, mostly me) are looking for ways to lower our internet bill ($32 for 15 Mbps) and I was just wondering, is there any device that supports many video formats (codecs), has a usb port (NTFS support would be nice), and can hook up directly to a tv without the need of internet? I'm assuming a HTPC would fit the bill as long as it has a video card with HDMI support but I was wondering if there was anything with a smaller form factor or maybe an alternative altogether. Thanks in advance.

Android ARM box (rooted) with a USB port, VLC, and Paragon Mounter.

http://www.techmeshugana.com/2013/09/ask-daley-entertainment-on-the-cheap/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc.betav7neon
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paragon.mounter

There's also stuff like the WD TV Play, but it'll cost near as much as the Android box will (or more), and won't be able to do as much... though what you lose in flexibility, you gain in ease of setup.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=920

That said, you don't need HD video, and 3-5Mbps is plenty fine for SD/NTSC quality video... though $32 for 15Mbps down is a darn good price.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1163 on: January 10, 2014, 05:06:15 PM »
I wanted to thank IP, once again, for all his help on this thread.  I made the switch to the $10/month Airvoice plan a month ago, and it's worked out very well, and saved us $55/month with little change in usage.  I thought, especially with Christmas travels, that I might have to add another $10 mid month, but I ended up using only $8, and rolling over the rest for the current month.

I have shut off cellular data for many apps, and I've always had push turned off for most. I know the recommendation is to leave cellular data off unless you need it, but I've been turning it on when I leave the house so I can get iMessages.  When I get back home, I'll turn off cellular data and have sometimes been charged a penny or two when I didn't remember connecting to anything.   No biggie.  A flurry of messages might cost a nickel or so (beats text prices!) 

I've mentioned MVNOs to a few people, and most are skeptical, or don't want to "think about it".  Okay, then.  Me?  I'll gladly do a little thinking to save $600/year!

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1164 on: January 11, 2014, 05:24:45 AM »
I'm on Ting so I want to watch my bill closely. I am wondering if/how I can use my wifi at home when making phone calls. (no land line). I've never had to worry about this in the past with unlimited plans but now I need to learn some stuff to keep saving money. Is this possible to do with my cell phone and if so how do I set it up?

VuwylkOnlezzyen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1165 on: January 11, 2014, 09:15:51 PM »
I'm on Ting so I want to watch my bill closely. I am wondering if/how I can use my wifi at home when making phone calls. (no land line). I've never had to worry about this in the past with unlimited plans but now I need to learn some stuff to keep saving money. Is this possible to do with my cell phone and if so how do I set it up?
You could try something like voip.ms.  To get a number through them, it will cost you $0.50 plus $0.99 a month plus $0.01 a minute calling in the U.S.  You can then use a Sip app (I use CSipSimple) and configure for the VoIP you are using.  CSipSimple is a fairly nice soft phone app that allows you to configure when it makes calls and when you use a cellular signal.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1166 on: January 11, 2014, 10:09:30 PM »
You could try something like voip.ms.  To get a number through them, it will cost you $0.50 plus $0.99 a month plus $0.01 a minute calling in the U.S.  You can then use a Sip app (I use CSipSimple) and configure for the VoIP you are using.  CSipSimple is a fairly nice soft phone app that allows you to configure when it makes calls and when you use a cellular signal.

Pretty much this. VoIP is always the answer to reducing your cellular bill.

NewDay2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1167 on: January 14, 2014, 08:58:04 AM »
I'm currently on Verizon with an iPhone5. I called Airvoice customer service to ask about number portability and they told me the Verizon iphone5 is CDMA and cannot be used on the Airvoice GSM network. Is this correct? If it is, is there another MVNO option to move my service to?

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #1168 on: January 14, 2014, 09:05:29 AM »
I'm currently on Verizon with an iPhone5. I called Airvoice customer service to ask about number portability and they told me the Verizon iphone5 is CDMA and cannot be used on the Airvoice GSM network. Is this correct? If it is, is there another MVNO option to move my service to?

The Verizon iPhone 5 sim slot is unlocked. This means the Verizon iPhone 5 will work with an Airvoice nano sim, but will not support LTE data (which you don't need anyway).

NewDay2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1169 on: January 14, 2014, 09:10:13 AM »
So it's safe to go ahead and pay my Verizon ETF, install the Airvoice nano SIM and activate/port # to Airvoice?

What does LTE data provide that I would no longer have?

Thanks!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1170 on: January 14, 2014, 09:13:58 AM »
So it's safe to go ahead and pay my Verizon ETF, install the Airvoice nano SIM and activate/port # to Airvoice?

Thanks!

You can always get a Airvoice sim with a different phone# and try it short term before you cancel with VZW.

LTE data is faster than 3G..

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #1171 on: January 14, 2014, 09:14:21 AM »

Yes, you shouldn't have any trouble.

LTE data is faster than HSDPA+ you'll get on Airvoice. Since you're going to Airvoice, you're probably looking to curb data, so you're fine.

Thanks!

You're welcome!

NewDay2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1172 on: January 14, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »
If I obtain a different Airvoice number and decide I want to port over my existing Verizon #. Can I do that after the initial Airvoice activation? I think they have a $10 Airvoice plan that I could test it with. Then if I find it acceptable I can upgrade the plan and port my Verizon #.

Thanks for the suggestion.

NewDay2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1173 on: January 14, 2014, 11:20:09 AM »
I just activated Airvoice using a different # than y Verizon #. Voice and text are working fine but data is not. When trying to check email I get the error "Could not activate cellular data network".  Is there an iPhone setting I need to change to be able to use data?  I purchased the $30 Airvoice plan that includes 500MB of data. Or can I not use data at all w/Verizon iPhone 5 on Airvoice?

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #1174 on: January 14, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
I just activated Airvoice using a different # than y Verizon #. Voice and text are working fine but data is not. When trying to check email I get the error "Could not activate cellular data network".  Is there an iPhone setting I need to change to be able to use data?

You're going to need to do a sim swap with a non-AT&T sim. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier. I assumed you were already aware.

NewDay2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1175 on: January 14, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
I purchased a new Airvoice nano SIM card for my iPhone off Amazon. Is there a different SIM that I need?

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #1176 on: January 14, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »
I purchased a new Airvoice nano SIM card for my iPhone off Amazon. Is there a different SIM that I need?

You're need a nano sim from a non-AT&T MVNO for the sim swap trick. Airvoice is an AT&T MVNO. Check with your friends to see if anyone uses T-Mobile and will lend you their nano sim for 10 minutes or so.

NewDay2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1177 on: January 14, 2014, 11:44:41 AM »
I'm a little slow…...so I need a T-Mobile SIM to activate my iPhone 5 on Airvoice?

Here's my existing situation:

1. Purchased Airvoice SIM for iphone5 off amazon
2. Activated a new # using that SIM on Airvoice
3. Purchased the $30 unlimited plan for the number I activated w/amazon SIM
4. Tested voice and text which works fine but no data

Just trying to figure out how to make data work on Airvoice using my Verizon iphone5.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #1178 on: January 14, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
The sim swap trick is needed to get your data working. You're already activated with Airvoice - voice and text work with your new number, therefore activated. If you haven't already, read the link I posted earlier and see if that explains things.

NewDay2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1179 on: January 14, 2014, 11:55:45 AM »
Thanks! The link helps

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1180 on: January 14, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »
Butting in here, but I didn't have to do a sim swap to get data to work.  It just required a call to Airvoice to get it turned on, which shouldn't be required for the $30/month plan, but I did for my $10/month plan. Twice, because it didn't "take" the first time.

AFAIK, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the sim swap allows for photo/video texts outside of iMessage.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #1181 on: January 14, 2014, 12:07:40 PM »
Butting in here, but I didn't have to do a sim swap to get data to work.  It just required a call to Airvoice to get it turned on, which shouldn't be required for the $30/month plan, but I did for my $10/month plan. Twice, because it didn't "take" the first time.

AFAIK, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the sim swap allows for photo/video texts outside of iMessage.

That may be true if you brought over an AT&T iPhone. The iPhone here was from Verizon, so I have no idea what is pre-populated in the Cellular Data Network settings, but it appears to be incompatible with Airvoice.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #1182 on: January 14, 2014, 12:09:17 PM »
NewDay2 -

You should probably see if you are able to edit the Cellular Data Network settings without needing to swap your sim. Instructions here.

NewDay2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1183 on: January 14, 2014, 12:11:07 PM »
I just ordered the .99 T-Mobile SIM and will try the sim swap trick when it comes in.

I'm excited at the prospect of possibly reducing my cell phone per month for $100 to $30 so thanks for all the feedback.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1184 on: January 14, 2014, 12:30:44 PM »
Ah, missed that it was a verizon phone. My sister ported 3 verizon iPhones to Page Plus with for big savings.

Truckman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1185 on: January 14, 2014, 12:39:37 PM »
Regarding this SIM swap...

I have a a Droid Razr M on Verizon. Where we just moved to has very poor signal. I believe AT&T is better in this area. I've been looking at Airvoice.  A few pages back IP posted in a reply to me about swapping SIMs with someone to see if my phone was unlocked or not.

What exactly am I looking for when I put my buddy's SIM in my phone?

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #1186 on: January 14, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »
AT&T said my unlock could take up to five days. It's been five days with no love. At what point should I be navigating their super fun phone tree support again?

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1187 on: January 16, 2014, 11:40:21 AM »
I installed Line (VoIP I Think?) from Google Play store and went to use it. Does the person I am calling have to be on VoIP as well because it did not seem to want to work. I was at home on wifi when I tried this out.

VuwylkOnlezzyen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1188 on: January 16, 2014, 04:12:36 PM »
I installed Line (VoIP I Think?) from Google Play store and went to use it. Does the person I am calling have to be on VoIP as well because it did not seem to want to work. I was at home on wifi when I tried this out.
Are you subscribed to a VoIP provider and entered their configuration into the app?  The other party does not need to be using a VoIP line in order for you to reach them.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #1189 on: January 16, 2014, 05:39:21 PM »

I have a a Droid Razr M on Verizon. Where we just moved to has very poor signal. I believe AT&T is better in this area. I've been looking at Airvoice.  A few pages back IP posted in a reply to me about swapping SIMs with someone to see if my phone was unlocked or not.

If you can get a signal with an AT&T sim, the sim slot is unlocked. From what I've read elsewhere, although the sim slot is unlocked on the Razr M, US GSM networks are blocked (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc). There's apparently a way around that. Google it if you're interested.

Truckman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1190 on: January 16, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »

If you can get a signal with an AT&T sim, the sim slot is unlocked. From what I've read elsewhere, although the sim slot is unlocked on the Razr M, US GSM networks are blocked (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc). There's apparently a way around that. Google it if you're interested.
OK, thanks.

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #1191 on: January 17, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »
AT&T said my unlock could take up to five days. It's been five days with no love. At what point should I be navigating their super fun phone tree support again?

Now on day 7, and still have a locked device. I called them yesterday and they said, 'Soon'. Fucking morons.

BearDown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1192 on: January 17, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for all the information as it's led me to really examine my wife and I's cellphone plans. Both of us are on the T-Mobile, $30 a month for 1500 minutes/texts plan and I was positive that I hardly ever used mine. I installed an app on my phone to monitor cellphone usage and here's the results for the last 3 months:

Once you get past my mad-crazy Excel skills you'll notice that I'm only using a fraction of my plan. I have a had time swallowing the fact that had I been on PlatinumTel's pay as you go plan, I would have just paid $58 for all my usage, whereas I showered T-Mobile with $90 dollars. And while I have no way to track it I'm positive that the bulk of those calls were made from my home, so I need to do some more math and figure out if I should just go with PTel, or PTel and VOIP.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:19:16 PM by BearDown »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1193 on: January 17, 2014, 09:48:14 PM »
Once you get past my mad-crazy Excel skills you'll notice that I'm only using a fraction of my plan. I have a had time swallowing the fact that had I been on PlatinumTel's pay as you go plan, I would have just paid $58 for all my usage, whereas I showered T-Mobile with $90 dollars. And while I have no way to track it I'm positive that the bulk of those calls were made from my home, so I need to do some more math and figure out if I should just go with PTel, or PTel and VOIP.

(Emphasis mine.)

Hah.  I enjoy your writing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1194 on: January 18, 2014, 10:40:26 PM »

Line is a VoIP application, but it's an application specific one and does not bridge to the POTS network AFAIK. Thusly, both ends have to be using the software. Falls into the same category as the free version of Skype or Apple's Facetime.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1195 on: January 19, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »
Luddite system at our house, but we're always looking to improve what we get for our dollars.

Land line + 250 min long distance + DSL internet.  $72 per month  (through TDS)
Cell phone: T-mobile prepaid not-smart phone, we use it only when we travel. Feed it about $10-20 per year. Unused minutes carry over. Reception is meh.
Free unlimited texts through Google voice on laptop or iPod Touch. Haven't really used Google voice features for call forwarding or voicemail-to-email, but might some day. Use Skype only occasionally,  on the computer.

We get TV over the airwaves, no desire for cable or Dish. We stream Netflix or Vudu sometimes, through our blu-ray/DVD player.

Comments on where we can make improvements?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1196 on: January 19, 2014, 09:32:17 AM »
Comments on where we can make improvements?

Your cellphone is already as cheap as humanly possible. No way to improve reception without spending 2-4x more money.

No optimization room on the entertainment end either, outside of ditching the subscription entertainment for free streaming, but most of the free streaming content is what's already available OTA and you'd need a different setup.

My recommendation would be not to bother with voice calling with Google.

The real improvement is going to be on the internet/home phone end. Unfortunately, TDS is set up to not let you see prices without pre-qualifying for service, so I'm unsure on the specifics. That said, I can guarantee that it'll be cheaper to drop the bundle and port your home phone number over to a VoIP provider like VOIP.ms or VOIPo (depending on your home calling needs - remember with VoIP that local and long distance minutes are billed equally like cell minutes). Stick the analog telephone adapter you'll need/be given on a beefy uninterruptible power supply along with your router and DSL modem, and you'll still have phone service during blackouts.

Have a little heavier (three page) reading on the subject: http://www.techmeshugana.com/2013/04/voip-and-the-return-of-the-home-phone/

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #1197 on: January 19, 2014, 10:29:46 AM »
Finally got my unlock processed with AT&T. Did the unlock.nz trick and data works, but not MMS. Every method I see on howard forums for activating MMS requires a third sim card (non-AT&T, non-AT&TMVNO), which I don't have. Is there no (other) workaround? iOS6, iphone 5, now on airvoice.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1198 on: January 19, 2014, 11:23:21 AM »
T-Mobile has sim cards available for .99 right now on the web although I have one and have yet to get MMS to work (it's not a priority for me).

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1199 on: January 19, 2014, 11:26:13 AM »
Finally got my unlock processed with AT&T. Did the unlock.nz trick and data works, but not MMS. Every method I see on howard forums for activating MMS requires a third sim card (non-AT&T, non-AT&TMVNO), which I don't have. Is there no (other) workaround? iOS6, iphone 5, now on airvoice.

There used to be a business iPhone configuration app from Apple that you could use to reconfigure data settings with, but I can't find it on their website anymore and the old links direct to their new iOS7 based management services which has had a lot of the configuration tools stripped out.

Easiest way is to just get a T-Mobile based SIM card and do the SIM swap trick. Fortunately, you can pick up Spot Mobile and P'tel SIM cards on Ebay for around a buck or less with shipping, so outside of patience and a buck, it's not a hard hurdle to clear. Still, you can thank both AT&T and Apple for that.