Author Topic: Bike touring the world for free  (Read 2664 times)

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
Bike touring the world for free
« on: May 16, 2015, 11:17:08 AM »
Check it out.

Basically, stay at my house for free, and I'll stay at yours.  We are in Germany for a month and haven't spent a dime on hotels or car rental or gas.  Our hosts have been awesome, and it's so much better getting to know the people than hiding in a hotel when you travel. 

https://www.warmshowers.org

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
Re: Bike touring the world for free
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:49:59 AM »
This is very cool. 

earlyFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:05:40 AM »
Love it! I plan to use warm showers when I retire in Aug and bike different bike bike routes around the world. Thank you for the inspiration! I have read a lot of journals of bikers riding around the world at crazyguyonabike.com, and it looks like it makes the trip that much more enjoyable.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 12:28:01 AM »
And even more badass- we flew Vancouver to Hamburg with no extra luggage fees, bringing two bikes, clothes, tent, two thermarests and two sleeping bags and bike gear. 

I introduce to you the Chinese shopping bag, available at the dollar store for $2.99 ($CAD). 

Bikes were boxed up and filled to the 23 kg limit, then they were checked luggage ( 1 piece free).  The rest was carry on, two pieces allowed, one small suitcase, and another hand luggage size (British Air).

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:31:34 AM »
Love it! I plan to use warm showers when I retire in Aug and bike different bike bike routes around the world. Thank you for the inspiration! I have read a lot of journals of bikers riding around the world at crazyguyonabike.com, and it looks like it makes the trip that much more enjoyable.

Here's some more inspiration, friends of ours quit jobs, sold everything at 40, invested the proceeds and are now in Cuba (no internet to update their blog), after having ridden from the article circle to Vancouver, spent winter in Mexico, and next plan is to ride Vancouver to Mexico this summer.

http://letsridebikes.ca

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 02:41:06 AM »
Well. I was a bit liberal on the use of "free".

I was referring to accommodations and no car.   We've spent one night in a youth hostel during a thunderstorm and paid for tent space once.