Author Topic: Coffee Snob Scores!  (Read 3242 times)

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
Coffee Snob Scores!
« on: June 25, 2017, 08:43:47 AM »
So...after working for a company based in Switzerland and traveling back and forth for a number of years...my coffee tastes changed considerably. I used to be absolutley fine with Folgers and a Mr. Coffee, but Switzerland turned me into a genuine coffee snob. What's worse is I then infected my DW with the same snobishness.

We played with a Kurig we received as a gift. Decent coffee...

We Frence Pressed our way into better coffee...

But the dream was finally realized yeterday when, low and behold while out walking our dog, I happened to stop at a yard sale.

Sitting off to one side...a Nespresso machine. Perfect condition.

The price tag..$20.

I think a little squeel may have escaped my lips. My wife and dog looked at me like I as if I suddenly started singing songs from "Glee." Actually, I may have unconsiously been singing "You're the One That I Want" as I paid for my prize.

Made my first cup this morning and all I can say is...."You silly Americans with your silly weak coffee...You know nothing!"

Today is a good day for this frugal coffee snob!!! (Yes..I know the pods are expensive but....I can stop anytime! I can handle it! I CAN STOP ANYTIME!!)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:47:07 AM by Sailor14 »

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Coffee Snob Scores!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »
Congrats on your frugal purchase!

And keep working on that addiction denial ;-)

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »

When you walk into the Nespresso store , they seriously give you the first box of pods free !

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 10:29:21 AM »
Excellent finding, Sailor14! Enjoy :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 07:17:49 AM »

When you walk into the Nespresso store , they seriously give you the first box of pods free !
Gateway drug?

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 02:20:35 PM »
High five!

The advanced coffee snobs of my acquaintance sneer at pod machines and are all about the Aeropress and the Bialetti, but I love my Nespresso machine and reckon having a decent cup of coffee on tap without any fuss when I wake up in the morning and when I get home at night is a cheap luxury. Especially as I stock up on good compatible pods when they're on special offer.

$20 for a perfect second hand machine is a great find. Congratulations.

KirstyB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 07:41:19 PM »
Tartan Tallulah - can you tell me which good compatible pods you use. I get my british family to being across vast amounts of nespresso pods as way cheaper in the UK than the USA, but for the times when we run out, it would be great to have some cheaper options here in the USA.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
Tartan Tallulah - can you tell me which good compatible pods you use. I get my british family to being across vast amounts of nespresso pods as way cheaper in the UK than the USA, but for the times when we run out, it would be great to have some cheaper options here in the USA.

Unexpectedly, for I don't much like the coffee they serve in their restaurants, my favourite compatibles are the Starbucks ones, particularly the Colombian blend. I keep an eye out for the supermarket reducing them from £3 to £2 for a pack of 10, and stock up. I also like Taylors of Harrogate pods, which I did expect because I like their ground coffees too, but it's a very English brand and I don't know if it's available in the USA.

For decaffeinated pods, though, I haven't found any to compare with the Nespresso ones. And I'd choose Nespresso pods rather than paying full price for compatibles.