Author Topic: Chester County, PA $10/month wireless broadband  (Read 2382 times)

Fox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Chester County, PA $10/month wireless broadband
« on: January 06, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »
Hi fellow mustache people,

After canceling fios, I expect to save over $600 this year.

I volunteer for Chester County Interlink aka CCIL, a small local non-profit dating back to the '90s BBS era. Membership is open to anyone who lives, works, or goes to school in Chester County, PA.

In the stone age we offered dial-up lines. Since early 2017 we've offered a $120/year (plus a one-time $25 admin fee) 4G broadband service. It is not capped, so I use it as my household connection and it keeps up with everything including YouTube and Netflix. Your speed may vary, so we do site surveys to see if service is good enough.

Sounds pretty great, right? Well, the ulterior motive in my post is that we really need volunteers. We've grown so quickly in the past year that it will soon be hard to keep up. Right now we're two people giving spare time to serve about a hundred active members. To stay healthy, CCIL needs bright friendly (and maybe FIRE'd?) people to jump in, learn the ropes, and eventually carry the torch if we're hit by buses.

Some things we'd appreciate from volunteers - pick as many as you'd like:
  • perform site surveys for new joiners
  • participate in board meetings (very informal, I promise)
  • help us design super-efficient business processes
  • share ideas for helping our membership and community

You don't need to be a techie, and a few hours each month can make a big difference.

There's no need to volunteer to sign up, but maybe I can sell the idea over a pint at Iron Hill.

For more about us, visit ccil.org.

Any questions, feel free to PM me or reply.